Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Activating Chest in Bench Press

Title says it all. When I bench I don't really feel it in my chest as much I do in my arms. I've heard people say that you are supposed to push the weight from your chest but I can never seem to do that. Every video I've seen doesn't tell me how to do this either they just show the form and movements of the bench press. Are there any specific techniques to getting the chest more involved?

jhew86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhew86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhew86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhew86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhew86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhew86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhew86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhew86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhew86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhew86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jhew86 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    make sure the bar touches your chest every rep
    Focus on getting STRONGER, size is an inevitable bi-product. If you can't squat with proper form you have no business at the rack.

"I'll give you one book to read, starting strength; read that book" -Jim Wendler, during the "Big" seminar.

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wide grip bench (or maybe even just making sure your grip is wide enough to begin with*...), dumbbell bench, and also pause benching (pause for, say, 2 seconds at chest level then explode up).

* So your forearms are perpendicular to the bench when the bar is at chest level.

Alz1991 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Push ur chest out have a wide shoulder grip and bring the bar down to your chest controlled

theo the man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theo the man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theo the man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theo the man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theo the man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theo the man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theo the man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theo the man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theo the man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theo the man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) theo the man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had the same problem never realy felt my pecs being hit.
    But this is the answer

Firstly you have to really contract the pecs at the top of the movement to do this puff ur chest out and bring shoulder blades together slowly lower the weight and explode on the way up you may have to drop the weight to get the form down patt but its not about the weight its about FORM and squeezing at the top of the movement
    persistence & patience

CycleFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycleFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycleFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycleFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycleFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycleFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycleFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycleFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycleFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycleFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) CycleFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Say you do 10 rep sets. Practice using a weight that is slightly less than you 10 rep max to get the form down and maybe do 12-14 reps with it. This will allow you to control the weight more, practice using your chest and ensure it isn't being overpowered by other muscles trying to struggle the weight up, and the longer set will also allow you to possibly feel more of a burn or fatigue in the chest so you can develop some sort of link with it and how it feels.

I definitely found that using a weight that is right at the limit of your ability doesn't help you to activate the chest if you don't know how to activate it in the first place.

All the usual advice as well. Shoulder blades together, shoulders back, chest up etc......

Edit: if you aren't already doing so, try dumbbells. They allow you to go lower at the bottom and stretch the chest more making the contraction more obvious as you come up initially.

Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Skeletorbitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Thanks for all the great replys! I had also read that trying to bend the bar at the top of each rep helps. Like trying to bend the bar into a u shape.

bamp

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

YungFeddy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YungFeddy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YungFeddy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YungFeddy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) YungFeddy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try to squeeze your back together, and you should feel you chest flex. than try doing the exercise.

rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rnewton4 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have a similar problem, don't really feel my chest being worked (Arms give out before chest....)

Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    One thing stood out to me from watching Dave Tate teaching the bench. He mentioned that when benching you want to invision pushing yourself into the bench and pushing the bar through your chest. I always invision this on each rep, invisioning myself just driving my entire body into the bench while pushing the bar away with my chest.

Of course you want to make sure you stay tight through out the workout, shoulders packed in tight. white knuckle the barbell, etc.
    My training log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178464441

Registered User notbigenoughyet's Avatar
    notbigenoughyet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) notbigenoughyet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) notbigenoughyet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) notbigenoughyet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) notbigenoughyet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) notbigenoughyet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) notbigenoughyet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) notbigenoughyet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) notbigenoughyet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) notbigenoughyet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) notbigenoughyet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    On your warm up (light weight) pinch your shoulders, pick up the weight, then transfer weight from either side as your trying to get your shoulder blades closer. In your head don't push the weight up, push your shoulders down. Try to keep your form as you increase weight.

jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50) jwagz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    the most useful tip i got for engaging the chest was from a guy called "vic's natural" on youtube. if you take the time to watch his chest video, i think you'd be happy that you spent those few minutes...

TIUjoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TIUjoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TIUjoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TIUjoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TIUjoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TIUjoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TIUjoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TIUjoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TIUjoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TIUjoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) TIUjoe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Skeletor,

My buddy had the exact same trouble with "activating" his chest. My best advice is SQUEEZE and try and put your mind on the muscle you are intending to work. The "mind-muscle" connection is a powerful tool. Even if that means flexing your chest in the mirror, create that connection of what it feels like to contract the muscle. Whether it's bench press, cable flys, DB incline presses, squeeze the chest at the top and focus on where you want the contraction to be. Hope this helps. I know it's been very beneficial for me, specifically for my back. Keep working at it! Pretty soon you'll come across someone with the same question and you'll be able to share what worked for you. Good luck!

Joe
    Follow my journey to the 2016 Spartan Beast: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvoih36zyNmXAbIQ_MaBsHw

Bodybuilder and Obstacle Course Racer

For Interviews and Tips from Elite OCR Athletes, check out: www.spartanbuddy.com

Absolutely anything is possible through Jesus Christ