Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

My workouts are Retoaded

My Retoaded 5/3/1 Log

The Story so Far:

Last August (my birthday month)…I am turning 33 and realize I am not getting any younger. I have gained a ton of weight in the 3 years I have been married, and I am tipping the scale at 270. Wow. I carry it OK with big shoulders and a big frame, but that is fatass by any definition. On top of that, I go to Africa on business, and am completely self-conscious the entire trip by how much bigger I am than the entire population of Accra, Ghana. I eat hardly anything and lose a few pounds that week. At this point I know nothing about nutrition, diet, lifting.

Join the gym in September…do some circuit training, cardio, drop some weight but no real plan. Farounditis big time. Cardiovascular wise I start to get in much better shape.

By about December I had educated myself…discovered counting calories and lifting heavy. LIGHT BULB!

Since then I’ve dropped 60 pounds, have grown to love pressing and pulling barbells. My resting heartrate is amazingly under 60 bpm.

So far...I now look good in cloths. Soon....will look good naked

Current Lifts:

Deadlift: 350x1, 315x3 (I think I have more in the tank on these also)
    OHP: 110x5 (weakest lift, probably due to ALWAYS doing this after bench and inclines in my old upper/lower workout)
    Squat: 260x1 (calculated from 225x5, so its approximate…this is relatively weak also, due to resetting constantly due to flexibility and squat depth...but I am finally flexible and the 225x5 IS below parallel)
    Bench: 260x1, 225x5 (proportionally stronger due to my benchandcurlbrah college years)

Now – for those of you who have eaten a ton and done SS or 5x5, those lifts are nothing special. However, all of this was achieved while losing over 60 pounds, so I am proud of them. Its also possible that when my cut is over, I could milk linear for a little while longer when I start eating more.

The Plan Stan:

So…4 more months of cutting to get down to 10/11% bodyfat. Then its slow gain (I don’t like the word bulk) time back up to 200 or so and 15% bodyfat. Probably 15 Pounds In 4-5 months. Hopefully 8 or so is muscle. Then cut for a month back down to 10/11%. Rinse and Repeat until I can sit around 200 at 10-12%.

Short Term Lift Goals (in the next year):
    Bench 315, Squat 350, Pull 425…but will be happy with a +1,050 total at 12% bodyfat

Long Term Goal:
    I don’t want a bodybuilders delicate and symmetrical features. I want to be big and strong like bull and still somewhat aesthetic. 200 at 10-12% sounds good to me. I know this is at the top of what Lyle McDonald would say is naturally achievable for 5’ 10” but screw that, it’s a goal right? Why shoot for less than the best?

I will add that I have almost 10" ankles, so my lower body is pretty huge. With my butt, hips, lower back, I don't think a delicate mid section is in my future anyway!

I want to bench 350, squat 405, pull 500.

5/3/1 Main Lifts:

For my 5/3/1 Lifts, I’ve actually reset most more than 10% for a couple reasons:

1. To time pushing into new territory with the end of my cut and beginning of *gasp!* eating in a surplus….oh I cannot wait…the purpose is that my x5 week will equal or pass my current x5 lifts at 4 months from now, at the end of the cut and beginning of EATING.

2. I’ve been reading Beyond Brawn lately and am in a conservative type of mood

3. I’ve decided this is a lifetime commitment

4. I’ve reset my deadlift A LOT because I have been using straps. No chalk in my gym but I recently discovered liquid chalk and it has changed my life lol.

Working Maxes (these are in the order I am doing them also):

Deadlift: 295 (reset low due to 86ing straps completely)
    OHP: 110
    Squat: 225
    Bench: 235

Again, most are reset greater than 10% to time pushing into new territory with the end of the cut.

Accessories:

Accessories are going to be aimed at hypertrophy, in general sets of 10 where I will increase weight when I get 3x10. These will be lower weight, slower more controlled contractions.

Deadlift Day: Back Accessories – DB Rows 3x10, Pulldowns 3x10, Facepulls 3x10

OHP Day: Shoulder Accessories – BB Shrugs 3x10, Lat Raises 3x10, Triceps Pulldown 3x10

Squat Day: Here is the kicker, doing BBB on squats. Nothing tears my legs up like squats, and squats are by far my weakest lift…so we are gonna squat all day on squat day.

Bench Day: Chest Accessories – Incline DB Press 3x10, Cables 3x10, Curl Variant 3x10

Schedule:

In general, gonna get through all 4 lifts in a week. The only rule is gonna be no more than 2 days in a row. So in some cases I could get through 4 lifts in 6 days, some may be 8 days….thats the way I like it....loose.

Supplements:

Just kidding lol, screw supplements. Fish Oil and Flintstones. I have a tub of White Flood that I take a couple scoops of if I don’t feel like working out. That’s about it. Not a big believer.

This Log and Other Comments:

I have just finished my first week of 5/3/1 and I love it. I have always been enthralled with the concept and have loved the flexibility and the setup, but wanted to exhaust my linear gains first. I am a huge reader, and when I get into something I really get into it. 5/3/1 just always made a ton of sense to me.

I am especially excited about the BBB Squat Day. First day this week, even resetting my max down, I was blowing snot out of my nose by the fifth 10 rep set. I like being able to switch up accessories every few months to keep it interesting, while keeping your nose to the grind on the big lifts. I expect when I first start to bulk, I may switch to BBB on every lift for a few months.

This Log: I don’t know how often I am gonna update it, whether or not I am gonna talk about accessory lifts beyond generally saying they are done. I am planning to update it every few days, or possibly weekly, keep it brief and to the point. I will probably also document average calories and weight loss (and gain in the future).

At some point when I get closer to my goal, I will post some before and after pictures. They should be pretty dramatic. I may wait until I am all the way down to 185/190 for full effect.

I’ll post results from my first week shortly!
    Last edited by Retoaded; 06-22-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    Stern Crew

mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Good work! You'll be glad you started a jrnl. So you've been in deficit this whole time, since last Aug/Sept?

Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mrmrbill View Post
    Good work! You'll be glad you started a jrnl. So you've been in deficit this whole time, since last Aug/Sept?
    yep! well, really counting calories and stuff since nov or so...I CANNOT WAIT to lift with a calorie surplus!

edit: probably every other saturday I eat at maintenance though and pretty carb heavy. i.e. Wendys double burger with fries for lunch.
    Last edited by Retoaded; 06-21-2012 at 08:29 AM.
    Stern Crew

Mainly gonna discuss the max effort set at the end of each workout, as everything else builds to that.

Cycle 1, Week 1, 5x Week

Deadlift Day: 250x8

Got 8 pretty easy. This was my first time strapless in a while, so reset down lower...also first time using Liquid Grip...I must say I was impressed with it. Did not feel the grip move at all and think I left a couple in the tank. For now, due to my drastic cutting, I am only gonna push hard on the x3 or more lifts and the x1 or more lifts, at the end of each 5/3/1 workout on the second and third weeks. This is what Wendler recommends in the book anyway. If I get to x8 on my x5 or more lift in the first week, I'm probably gonna cut it there. For now.

One of my favorite things about Deadlift Day. The boot camp at the gym, which is a crossfit type of workout, typically starts over by our only power rack. All the fruitcakes were laying and rolling around on the floor doing some F-arounditis exercising. I LIVE for dropping the barbell on the ground right next to them lol. Very loud, very satisfying. Its to the point where the gym owner (my age, cool dude), will wander over because he knows its about to happen and he laughs and walks off.

Other notes: DB Rows went well, slow and measured with the 60s. felt good. Pulldowns at 160 got 8,8,8 back felt SHOT. Facepulls 80x10,10,10 felt good...I love facepulls.

OHP Day: 95x7

man my OHP is embarassing...to have big shoulders its crazy that I am so weak overhead. I think its because I have been doing an upper/lower for the past 6 months since I started, with OHP always coming after bench and incline. Hopefully shoulders having their own day will fix that. Added lat raises 20lbsx10,10,10 nice and slow, shrugs 225x10,10,10 and some triceps work.

Squat Day: 185x8

holy crap. doing BBB on squats. it was only 135, but 135x5x10 and I was blowing snot and grunting on the last set. (writing this on TH, this workout was on M, still have DOMS like a mother). The good news is my adductors are KILLING ME, so I must have been GETTING LOW lol.

Bench Day: 200x8

wow I nailed these easy. they felt great. I decided to put on some Liquid Grip even though I typically would only do it for deads. I think that made a huge difference. incline DBs, 65s 3x8, nice, slow, very deep, cables 60x10,10,10, biceps work...still felt good, decided to throw in some slow overhead presses with DBs...MISTAKE...last rep, my arm somehow LOCKS OUT...looking back on it, I don't know if it was elbow joint or shoulder joint, I think both, but now have a sore shoulder. dumbbell started to sway over my head, scary, I threw it lol. didn't hit any gym bunnies thank goodness. anyone ever had this happen?

Weekly Diet/Body Comp

Solid week, nothing special. Basically my TDEE is in the 2,850 range, I eat 2,000, I lose about 1.6 pounds per week. fluctuations in water weight, but over the past 6-7 months its been clockwork. I also use a measuring tape and estimate BF% using Casey Butt's website. I've found it to always be in the middle of some of the other methods, and the couple times I've used calipers its been close.

weight is an average of T, W, TH morning weights.

BF% measured on W.

Gonna pay close attention to the LBM every week to see if it stays consistent through the changing weights and measurements, which it should more or less. (so far its always between 165-167)

avg calories: 1,952
    weight: 209
    BF%: 20
    LBM: 167
    Stern Crew

a word on cardio:

I do some 20 minute intervals, and some 40-45 minute LISS sessions...typically 1-2 a week, on no set schedule. I will tack on an interval session at the end of a workout where I still have some energy, or I'll go up for LISS on an off day when I am bored or have energy. I do it for general health. As stated above, my resting heart rate is below 60 now which is super. the overriding factor in my cardio is not to interfere with squat day.
    Stern Crew

another word on supplements: if someone has something to suggest, I am willing to try it provided there is some legit science backing it up. in general I think they are mostly worthless.
    Stern Crew

mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Retoaded View Post
    man my OHP is embarassing...to have big shoulders its crazy that I am so weak overhead. I think its because I have been doing an upper/lower for the past 6 months since I started, with OHP always coming after bench and incline. Hopefully shoulders having their own day will fix that.
    A lot of lifters don't engage their butt and abs (and quads) enough. It's not an obvious mental connection and easy to forget when you're thinking shoulders. Everybody has at least one crappy lift anyway ... my squats blow relative to OHP and BP.

Originally Posted by mrmrbill View Post
    A lot of lifters don't engage their butt and abs (and quads) enough. It's not an obvious mental connection and easy to forget when you're thinking shoulders. Everybody has at least one crappy lift anyway ... my squats blow relative to OHP and BP.
    I think my core is good when I lift...gonna have to see if it gets better leading off a day with it. also considering thumbless grip like Wendler teaches...the thought being the bar tracks better and you move under it better with that grip. I did a couple of my warmup sets like that this past week and it didn't feel BAD...

I am weakest at about the top of my head...assuming this is where you are transferring from delts to triceps. failure is always at that point.

Also I am considering doing Boring But Big for OHP also as well as squat. if 8 working sets doesn't get it done, nothing will lol.
    Stern Crew

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    In!

Can't go wrong with 5/3/1 IMO. I like the fact it has a dedicated OHP day, you've got a decent bench so it shouldn't be too long before you start making gains on the OHP too. If the problem is at the lockout then some tricep accessories might help - I can see you have one but maybe you could put close grip benches on chest day? Also experiment with grip width.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    In!

Can't go wrong with 5/3/1 IMO. I like the fact it has a dedicated OHP day, you've got a decent bench so it shouldn't be too long before you start making gains on the OHP too. If the problem is at the lockout then some tricep accessories might help - I can see you have one but maybe you could put close grip benches on chest day? Also experiment with grip width.
    thanks man! yeah thats definitely worth considering.
    Stern Crew

Cycle 1, Week 2, 3x Week

Deadlift Day: 265x6

Again, operating pretty far under previous lifts to start 5/3/1 but felt good and grip was not an issue again...that calculates out to 315/320, so nothing special compared to past lifts with straps...we will see for 280 next week what happens with the grip...if the grip allows going to push that to 5 or 6 also....

The boot campers were not in there today so no pleasure in dropping the barbell loudly. There was actually a collection of guys in there seriously lifting weights today. Strange. Must be college and high school athletes trying to stay in shape now that school is out. Two people were actually using the squat rack for squats.

DB Rows and Lat Pulldowns are straight up boring as hell after deadlifts. Very anti-climactic. but finished with some facepulls which I love. people in the gym give me weird looks on face pulls.

this is where I work out:

snap fitness. 24-hours, $30/month. mostly neighborhood ladies clucking on the treadmills. but you notice there IS a power rack way back there in the back! Its mine.

OH and I got my new pair of Minimus shoes in today...awesome to lift in, not even broken in yet. soft and light and tiny sole.

I intentionally picked the loudest, most obnoxious style also...so ugly they are awesome.

haha should have seen the look of horror on my wife's face when I pulled it out of the box. (pun intended?)

$50 at finishline dot com cause I think they are last years models. they have some solid blue and black also. no leather, all light weight material.
    Stern Crew

Cycle 1, Week 2, 3x Week

OHP Day: 100x5

Felt OK, nothing good or bad. I've gotten up 110x5 before back when I used to do OHP after benching and/or incline so no big deal but I felt good. Hopefully in a couple months I will blow past that number.

Assistance work was shrugs 3x10x225, felt fine but a day after strapless deads my hands are sore...honestly harder to hold onto shrugging 225 than deadlifting more weight. I have small hands. sucks.

lat raises 3x10x20s...this is the first time I've done them with no rest-pausing to get 3x10, so on to the 25s we go next week. I do them pretty slow with arms almost all the way extended, so get a very good burn.

triceps rope push downs 3x10x105. I've gotten the full 3x10 here both weeks, but I am trying to concentrate on the contraction and form before I increase weight...I think my ROM gets slack towards the end of the sets.

since I was waiting on my wife to finish I knocked out a couple sets of DB seated presses, 45s x about 7 or 8...wasn't really keeping track, shoulders were shot and I was just going slow and easy...sort of a burnout set if you will...though "burnout set" sounds so bro-tastic it makes me cringe to say it lol.
    Stern Crew

bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good job OP, 5/3/1 is a great program.
    Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me."

Meet lifts 766/523/711

Originally Posted by bigman78 View Post
    Good job OP, 5/3/1 is a great program.
    thanks for visiting...I am especially excited once I get done cutting and will be able to eat a little more! 20 more pounds! argggggggh!
    Stern Crew

bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bigman78 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    thanks for visiting...I am especially excited once I get done cutting and will be able to eat a little more! 20 more pounds! argggggggh!
    I feel ya man. Im on that cut right now. suckkksss.

Meet lifts 766/523/711

Cycle 1, Week 2, 3x Week

Squat Day, 205x6

Felt good...still not up to my best but 6 was my goal and every rep felt nice and low. I felt really flexible today and felt my butt hit my calves several times. If I start to feel that flexible every squat day I may just keep going butt to calves...it almost shocked me the first time I felt my butt touch something lol!

Assistance

BBB....stands for Brutal Brutal Brutal. Doing 135x5x10 doesn't look like much for most guys on this site, but geez 50 reps of anything will kill you. Thats like 65% of the working max on this first cycle, so higher than recommended but frankly its just much easier loading the bar that way. felt good, stayed low, improvement over last week when I was blowing snot out of my nose though.

did a few sets of 1 leg presses...to me thats the icing on the cake after all the squats. added some donkey calf raises...done and done in about an hour.

good story from today: CURL BRAH is in there today. I have never seen him do anything but arms and abs, and I mean that literally. this dumb motherfcker was curling when I got there, and curling when I left. I mean warmup sets + working sets + BBB sets....12 effing sets of squats, and the dude is curling the entire time. arms are bigger than legs, literally...I will try to sneak a pic next time.
    Stern Crew

Loled at "curl bra" try to get a pic. I'm lucky to train in a powerlifting gym. But its also open to the public. But there arnt as many ****s. Except this one guy who only works arms and chest. Every time....

Meet lifts 766/523/711

auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000) auriga is just really nice. (+1000)
    in on this! I been eyeballing 5/3/1 quite a bit lately and will enjoy following your progress. So far you seem to have done great! Big congrats there. You have a well thought out plan and smart detailed goals. Should be fun to watch man.
    Bleed success. Eat. Sleep. Mate. Defend. – Jim Wendler.

4/24/14 I was one of the 337 unfortunate souls. Never forget.

Originally Posted by auriga View Post
    in on this! I been eyeballing 5/3/1 quite a bit lately and will enjoy following your progress. So far you seem to have done great! Big congrats there. You have a well thought out plan and smart detailed goals. Should be fun to watch man.
    thanks! right now my priority is the fat loss and getting to a low bodyfat..if I eek out some strength gains thats great, but as you can see the 5/3/1 working maxes are set up so that I'll slowly work up to my existing maxes as I stop cutting weight...so the program was the right fit at the right time...then the priority moves into strength and a slow bulk. should be fun! Having read Beyond Brawn recently, thats the approach that McRoberts advocates also...I hate taking weight off the bar, but more experienced guys than me are very convincing in the approach.

When i switch to maintenance and then bulk mode, I am gonna do BBB on all lifts except probably deadlift (I just don't like high rep deadlifts, form gets loose), where I'll work on hitting the entire back with accessories. I almost think back is the only area that needs the detail work...I think BBB bench, OHP, and squat can build a pretty complete physique. not stage ready, but good for us natty amateurs.
    Stern Crew

Cycle 1, Week 2, 3x Week

Bench Day Brah, 210x6

I was going for 7...got halfway up...so I am thinking Suffolk may be on to something with some CGBP or something more to work on the tris. Still using Wendlers conversions thats a 253 or so.

I guess I feel good that I am repping over my bodyweight now on the bench, through losing weight and clawing out some strength gains. But when you could bench 300 at about 190 in college, its kindahollow lol. Oh well I will get there. SOOOOOOOON

Assistance again incline with the 60s nice and slow, 8,8,8. Skipped the cables as chestbrah was in there doing his endless sets of crossovers from every angle setting on the machine.

did some hammer curls and concentration curls.

then out at 40 minutes. I love the simplicity and minimalness of 5/3/1.

New guy was in there "squatting". Goes to smith machine, loads up 2 plates with no warmup so I was immediately taking notice and anticipating what this abortion was going to look like. Feet directly under bar, bends knees forward until his legs are at about a 110-degree angle. seriously did not even get to 90-degree knee angle, so his upper legs were at about a 60 degree angle with the floor at the "bottom" of his "squat". proceeds to do about 4 or 5 reps adding 10-20 pounds until he is "squating" 3.5 plates or so for 2-3 reps with about 4-5" of ROM. I am sitting on a bench doing curlbrahs. Anyway I guess watching other people is pathetic but I have to talk about something in my log here and my workout was so brief I need to fill the space.

I like doing arms for assistance on chest day so I can be benchandcurlbrah for a day.

nutrition wise, I am starting to get sick of the cut. I think I am going down to 185 and if it is not what I expect (11%BF or so), I am gonna say screw it and bulk back to 195/200 anyway over 4 months or so starting in October, go to February, then cut back again in March and April.
    Stern Crew

Weekly Diet/Body Comp

another solid week. another 1.5 pounds.

avg calories: 2007
    weight: 207.5
    BF%: 19.4%
    LBM: 167

thats what makes it all worth it! seeing the calculator come out under 20% for the first time. I know there is a margin of error but this calculator requires a lot of measurements (again the one Casey Butt developed through 1000s of statistics of people) and is much more in depth than YMCA (which puts me in the 16-17 range) and US Navy (puts me at 19 also).

If I maintain at that LBM...I will hit 12% at 190...only 17 more pounds. Then may or may not take it down to 10%...if I have come this far why not right?

I think this Casey Butt model is good...I've been using it for the past 10-15 pounds, all the measurements have changed at differing rates, so has the weight, but the LBM has been pretty consistent at 165-167 or so. Of course I hope it is accurate lol.

It almost doesn't really matter because I am "cutting until abs", as I tell my wife.
    Stern Crew

Cycle 1, Week 3, 5/3/1 Week

Well here it is, 5/3/1 week. each week starts with my favorite deadlifts...and...

280x5

no straps. wow that felt great. no freaking straps! 1RMish 327...so not my best, but by far my best with nothing but my bare hands. I cut it because I think my back felt weak and rounded on the last rep. Then I stand up...and not really even aching that much...so who knows...but that felt great and it carried over into the assistance work. 1 more rep on every set of every assistance exercise. After cutting for so long and being down 65 pounds, I have not had a day like that in a VERY. LONG. TIME. So pulldowns, DB rows, and facepulls all progressing. I felt good so I did some wood choppers. Thats basically when I decide to do anything with abs...when I have a great day and I am energetic even after the workout.

so cheers all around. enjoying a nice GUINNESS STOUT. thats my treat to myself on Friday nights, two big bottles of Guinness Stout clocking in at about 500 calories. All other beer drinking during the cut is done with Bud 55. or "beer water", its common name.

food is the same, sleep is the same...but I improve on EVERY set of EVERY exercise...is it the 5/3/1? WTF?!?! is it MAGIC?!?! lol...actually I think I just too often used to go to failure and its taken putting some trust in an awesome program to let it work, and I think in 3 weeks its already paying off. Very exciting.

The other exciting thing is as I was about to start my last set of deads, I looked down, and I see a spiderweb of veins on the inside lower forearm of my underhand grip hand....look at my overhand hand...actually seeing some veins popping out on top of my forearm. wow. vascularity. its kind of shocking, coming from 270 pounds, that this is me. Its a great feeling though.

so we are having a good week all around. under 20% BF...oh I grabbed calipers this afternoon and got 19% also, so I am happy...my grip has caught up SOOOOOO much quicker and easier than I thought possible...

everyone have a beer and a good weekend!
    Stern Crew

OHP: 110x4

OK....not horrible, not great. I did BBB on shoulders today. I am really starting to try to think of a good reason NOT to do BBB on every exercise when I start cycle 2. Probably set it up so when I hit 10,10,10 on the first 3 of 5 sets, I'll add 5 pounds to the bar and have a mini-progression going on inside of the 5/3/1 template. I'll probably do BBB and then a third accessory like shrugs on shoulder day, triceps/biceps on chest day, and calves on squat day. on deadlifts day I am going to continue with DB rows and pulldowns to hit the entire back, but its BBB on the other 3 days I think.

The exciting news of the day was I did a bodyweight pullup for the first time since I started losing weight. that was amazing. I almost got a second one too. so...from now on, its a pullup and a static hold halfway down between each exercise on every workout day (except back day which I am already doing a bunch of stuff)...so very soon it will be 2 pullups...so with pullups added in, I think cycle 2 will be set. I am not gonna do much during next week's deload week except the main lifts at deload weights, cardio, and pullups.
    Stern Crew

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I think you should list accessory exercises briefly it can't hurt. Hell, the guys who use fitocracy show all their warmup sets... besides I am not that familiar with 5/3/1 programs so I don't know what's in Boring But Big.

Congrats on the pullup - a good milestone

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I think you should list accessory exercises briefly it can't hurt. Hell, the guys who use fitocracy show all their warmup sets... besides I am not that familiar with 5/3/1 programs so I don't know what's in Boring But Big.

Congrats on the pullup - a good milestone
    basically the Boring But Big program is you do the main lift also as the accessory lift, 5 sets of 10 at 50-60% of your working max.

So on squat day, I'd do the prescribed warm up lifts and 3 working sets of the 5/3/1 program, then after the last "all out" set of the program, I do 5x10 at 50-60% of the working max. Its pretty brutal, I've been doing it with squats already. So on squat day, with warmups, you are looking at 12 sets or so.

The only thing I wonder is am I really going to be ignoring something if I do BBB on all exercises but deads.

So my program starting with cycle 2 would look like:

Deadlift Day
    Deadlift 5/3/1
    DB Rows 3x10
    Pulldowns 3x10
    Facepulls 3x10

OHP Day
    OHP 5/3/1
    OHP 5x10 @ 55%
    Add minor accessory most likely shrugs
    pullups scattered in

Squat Day
    Squats 5/3/1
    Squats 5x10 @ 55%
    add minor accessory most likely calves
    pullups scattered in

Bench Day
    Bench 5/3/1
    Incline DB 5x10@55%
    triceps and biceps
    pullups scattered in

When I hit 10,10,10 on the first 3 sets of the 5 sets of BBB, I'll bump up the poundage slightly.

abs whenever, cardio whenever but alot of LISS on the deload week (every 4 weeks)

Personally I think its a winner. I can't see any muscles being ignored, pretty much everything gets completely bombed once a week. The only muscle group that I am not doing BBB on is the back, since its complex and I want to hit it with vertical rows and horizontal rows as well.
    Last edited by Retoaded; 07-02-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    Stern Crew

Looks very logical to me. I can see why you don't do BBB for deadlifts...

The only time this might come unstuck is if you get a sticking point in a lift... doing more of the same won't necessarily overcome it very effectively - but cross that bridge when you come to it. I don't do a lot of accessories - except for deadlifts where I need to focus on breaking from the floor and erector spinae.

So my program starting with cycle 2 would look like:...
    Looks like a good plan! Congrats on the body comp changes working out well.

Squats 210x4

very disappointing. I was going down for fifth rep, had gotten out of line backing the weight out somehow, clanged the safety pin with the 45 on the way down. I felt GREAT and was thinking 6-7 reps at the time. hit the right side, threw me hard to the left, I managed to not drop the weight, but couldn't get back up, lowered it down to the pins. I may have said the F word a little too loudly for my small community gym. oh well.

On the bright side, I nailed the BBB sets with 135 with significantly less rest-pausing than I have had to do before. so I am GETTING STRONGER, which is good. I also discovered I am MUCH more comfortable looking forward at eye level than the Rippetoe looking down/neutral spine position. It helps me keep a better back arch with chest out, which enables me to lead with my butt better and therefore get lower with butt further out and activate glutes better back out of the hole. Was very pleased with that development. Starting Strength parrots don't crucify me lol.

BBB on squats is brutal though, especially on a cut and 65 pounds deep. Its been 2 hours since I finished and my legs are shaking and weak...which I think is awesome lol. But 5x10 with 135 pretty easy, at least for me, is something I am very pleased with. Especially considering when I started squating 6 months ago I couldn't hit 135 for one rep at proper depth. I am actually starting to wonder if I am going PAST parallel...another videotaping is in order after next weeks deload week I think.

Honestly 5x10 of bodyweight squats after doing your working poundages is probably sucky by itself.

so 5/3/1 bench tomorrow then its deload week for some cardio and nothing much more.
    Last edited by Retoaded; 07-03-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    Stern Crew

well apparently I edited that last post instead of a new one.

another question - my newly found pullup...well its more of a 3/4-up. eye level at hands, not to the chin.

any of you guys ever do anything specific for type part of ROM to improve pullups? seems like its all lats there, where your elbows go to your side...today I just did my 3/4 pullup, then jumped up for a couple negatives/holds...

honestly probably continuing to lose weight is gonna be the biggest factor.
    Stern Crew

Bench Day, 225x4

Meh...not bad, not good...I did have ALOT of beer last night since I was off work today for the 4th...did not fail on a fifth rep, but thought it was highly likely after the 4th.

In preparation for Cycle 2, I did my BBB 5x10 sets with CGBP after some discussion here and just looking at my weak points (midway on up). Did 135 5x10, first 3 sets no struggle on the reps, last 2 sets the last couple reps were hard. Will probably start Cycle 2 at 140 and move up when I hit 3x10 on the first 3. I will say, my front delts took a beating as bad or worse than my triceps did though!

Also worked on pullups, using 20-40 pounds of assistance doing sets of 5-6, and just working in the top half of the ROM, arms at 90 degrees on up to chin above bar...very challenging.

I always like to put in a direct chest exercise so did 3 sets of cables 65x8,8,8.

So I am thinking with CGBP then cycle 2 will look more like

Deadlift Day
    Deadlift 5/3/1
    DB Rows 3x10
    Pulldowns 3x10
    Facepulls 3x10

OHP Day
    OHP 5/3/1
    OHP 5x10 @ 55%
    BB shrugs (will load up heavy, double overhand grip to work grip also/don't want to tear bicep either lol)
    pullups scattered in

Squat Day
    Squats 5/3/1
    Squats 5x10 @ 55%
    donkey calves 3x12-15
    pullups scattered in

Bench Day
    Bench 5/3/1
    CGBP 5x10
    cables 3x8-10
    biceps
    pullups scattered in

I like the plan, thats the easiest part. now have to bust ass and execute it.

I may start adding a little more detail in instead of just doing the main lift...like today on 5/3/1 day it would have been

Bench
    175x5
    200x3
    225x4

CGBP
    135x10
    135x10
    135x10
    135x10
    135x10

pullups
    BWx1
    2xnegative/holds
    +20 assistancex4
    +40 assistancex6

cables
    65x8
    65x8
    65x8

concentration curls
    30x5
    30x5
    30x5

Much better detail....but I already write it down at the gym, keep it in an excel spreadsheet...lol I just feel like I am logging the same thing 4 times over! oh well...next week is deload week. the plan is the main lifts plus whatever arms and/or pullups I feel like doing (its a deload week though so not much), and then 20 minutes of interval cardio or 30-40 minutes of LISS. Maybe I can lose an extra pound.
    Stern Crew