mac_1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mac_1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mac_1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mac_1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mac_1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ramadan - dieting advice needed!

Hi Guys,

Just want some insight into what would be the best approach to diet and nutrition during the month of Ramadan (for those that don’t know, Ramadan is a month where Muslims fast from the hours of sunrise to sunset – no water or food allowed in this time). The way it falls where I am, this means that I will be fasting from 3.20AM to 9.20PM, therefore my opportunity to pack as much nutrition in is only 6 hours.

At the current moment I am following DP’s keto diet (200lbs plan) – I am currently in week 6 of the diet and I have made steady progress. Ramadan starts on 20th July 2012 – that gives me another 4/5 weeks of following this diet.

After thinking about the best way to proceed during the month of fasting I have decided to maintain the principles of keto. In the 6 hour window I have to eat I will attempt to get 4 meals in – each meal consisting of;

Protein – 75g
    Fat – 30g
    Carbs – 5g

So my total intake will be P = 300g, F = 120g, C = 20g

I just want to throw this out there really and ask what you guys would do if you had to fast for a month. Do you foresee any issues with this approach?

Maybe some of you guys have fasted before and have a keto style approach?

Lets discuss!!!

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Start using an IF protocol such as Leangains. You might even find you like IF enough to continue that pattern of eating after Ramadan.

MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Start using an IF protocol such as Leangains. You might even find you like IF enough to continue that pattern of eating after Ramadan.
    This. It's what I did last Ramadan and what I'm planning to do for the one coming up next month.
    ุฃุดู‡ุฏ ุฃู† ู„ุง ุฅู„ู‡ ุฅู„ุงูŽู‘ ุงู„ู„ู‡ ูˆ ุฃุดู‡ุฏ ุฃู† ู…ุญู…ุฏ ุฑุณูˆู„ ุงู„ู„ู‡

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mac_1 View Post
    In the 6 hour window I have to eat I will attempt to get 4 meals in
    Why eat four meals within six hours rather than, for example, consuming two?

Trying to consume 4 meals within that short window probably means disturbing your sleep massively. One meal right after sunset and one right before sunrise is likely the least intrusive solution.

FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FitnessCPA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I assume you sleep overnight, so how are you going to get four meals in between 9 p.m. and 3 a.m.?

mac_1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mac_1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mac_1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mac_1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mac_1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It would be a case of me having to keep a protein shake by my bedside...thanks for sharing the leangains link, I will look into and research this option now.

Originally Posted by MakeABanana View Post
    This. It's what I did last Ramadan and what I'm planning to do for the one coming up next month.
    can you please outline what your plan for the month of fasting is - in terms of meals and what your objectives are. also, how did you find fasting last year? did you achieve your goal?

for me, i want to continue with my cut, i don't really know much about intermittent fasting yet. thanks

Ectomorphhh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm going to try IF as well but eating huge meals after not eating for most of the day is pretty hard as the appetite isn't there after the first bite. Any tips or suggestions on reaching calories and macros in that short amount of time?

Kerbouci will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kerbouci will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kerbouci will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kerbouci will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kerbouci will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kerbouci will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kerbouci will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kerbouci will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kerbouci will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kerbouci will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kerbouci will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    OP , during ramadan , all muslim bodybuilders become Intermittent Fasters

follow the link provided By Pug
    - Caloric balance and micro/macronutrient sufficiency are what matter. The names of the foods you consume do not matter.

StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm going to be cutting during Ramadan, what I plan to do is just eat my two meals as usual, just different times.

Iftar is meal 1 and Suhoor is meal 2. I would make meal 2 the bigger meal because you'll be going fasted for a while so may aswell have something in the tummy.

Originally Posted by StitchT View Post
    I'm going to be cutting during Ramadan, what I plan to do is just eat my two meals as usual, just different times.

Iftar is meal 1 and Suhoor is meal 2. I would make meal 2 the bigger meal because you'll be going fasted for a while so may aswell have something in the tummy.

i am going to look into IF - got a few weeks to research it!

StitchT - can you outline what the macro nutrient breakdown of the two meals you plan to have. i just want to have an idea of how much and what to eat. also - what abt training? no post workout nutrition i guess, unless one is to train before Iftar...

StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000) StitchT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mac_1 View Post
    i am going to look into IF - got a few weeks to research it!

StitchT - can you outline what the macro nutrient breakdown of the two meals you plan to have. i just want to have an idea of how much and what to eat. also - what abt training? no post workout nutrition i guess, unless one is to train before Iftar...
    Training will have to be fasted, I'm not sure how that's going to workout for me. Maybe, just MAYBE I'll be able to train after Iftar. Who knows, I might have to switch gyms though to a 24/7 gym.

My macronutrients aren't what you'd call reasonable, I'm doing a very aggressive cut right now. It's something like 50f/165p/95c. So I'm definitely going to run through some troubles this Ramadan.

Tazih has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tazih has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tazih has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tazih has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tazih has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tazih has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tazih has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tazih has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tazih has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tazih has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tazih has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I'm doing Ramadan too, and I'm going on a Bulk with the IF protocol.
    It's the first time I do it, because it's only been a year since I began building my body. I'm just out from a cut (1 week before maintenance for 3weeks and then beginning of lean bulk during Ramadan)
    I'll eat a 500/600cal meal at "ftour", about 1h before my training, take some whey 30mins before, maltrodextrin+BCAA during, whey+BCAA after, and eat a 2000cal meal 45mins after my workout. Gonna be hard to eat everything but very practical you feel just like a stuffed turkel
    So just real the LeanGains protocol, really simple to understand, and helpful with Ramadan