Thread: lifting speed

John1123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) John1123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) John1123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) John1123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) John1123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) John1123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) John1123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) John1123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) John1123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) John1123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) John1123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

lifting speed

Does it matter how fast i go when i get the weights up? or when getting them down?
    I usually do it slow, i feel like it's better this way...

DrewStaka77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrewStaka77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrewStaka77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrewStaka77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrewStaka77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrewStaka77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrewStaka77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrewStaka77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrewStaka77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrewStaka77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DrewStaka77 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by John1123 View Post
    Does it matter how fast i go when i get the weights up? or when getting them down?
    Yeah brah benching for example bring down to your chest hold for a sec the. Put it back up dont just throw the weight up and down all crazy with bad form and **** but yeah youre prob doing it right

LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It doesnt matter when raising the weight but when lowering it do it slow and controlled. (however don't take more than 3 seconds to lower the weight)

I must add, the speed doesn't matter on all exercises, for things like squats and deadlifts and things like that it doesn't matter. (just make sure it's controlled. You don't wanna go down too fast when squatting and lose control and balance)

Guzzo57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guzzo57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guzzo57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guzzo57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guzzo57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guzzo57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guzzo57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guzzo57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guzzo57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guzzo57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Guzzo57 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by LJayD View Post
    It doesnt matter when raising the weight but when lowering it do it slow and controlled. (however don't take more than 3 seconds to lower the weight)

I must add, the speed doesn't matter on all exercises, for things like squats and deadlifts and things like that it doesn't matter. (just make sure it's controlled. You don't wanna go down too fast when squatting and lose control and balance)
    Ive always exploded the weight up, went slow down, that way your muscles get used to being explosive. Then again, I play football so that could be a factor in why i explode.

LloydLifts has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    It's about control, if you're being explosive with the weights you increase your chance of injury BUT you do workout your fast twitch muscles with it's beneficial towards sport
    You workout, I train.

LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LJayD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Guzzo57 View Post
    Ive always exploded the weight up, went slow down, that way your muscles get used to being explosive. Then again, I play football so that could be a factor in why i explode.
    Yeah so do I (I play rugby). That's why I said lower the weight slowly and it doesn't matter how fast you raise it. Some people like to raise it fast and some like it slow.

rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50) rkalsow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Slower on the negative a little faster on the positive. I usually aim for 2-3 down, 1-2 up.
    “You, me or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth than go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers sayin’, you ain’t where you wanna be because of him or her or anybody!"
    -Rocky Balboa

spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    As fast as you can on the positive
    Control it on the way down on the negative

Daniel Larson 2024 RainingBlood's Avatar
    RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RainingBlood has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Up and down. No swinging. That's what I do.
    Attract toxic girls but I'm not toxic crew
    Always the victim crew
    Pure Michigan crew
    Lana Del Rey > Taylor Swift crew

FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Don't use momentum to get the weight up, you're just cheating yourself.

Slow on the contraction helps build mass and strength. Fast contractions for speed.

SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by FiringSquad View Post
    Don't use momentum to get the weight up, you're just cheating yourself.

Slow on the contraction helps build mass and strength. Fast contractions for speed.
    In order to put more momentum into the weight you must perform more work into it via a greater force, so.....?

PS: Lifting weights slow is harder, why else would you slow down when you get to heavy weight?
    Have you ever seen someone speed up when they are about to fail a lift?
    Best lifts:
    Bench press: 315x4, 345x1
    Squat: 465x1
    Strict press: 185x8, 195x5, 215x1
    Deadlift: 405x13 (conv tap'n'go with straps)

FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FiringSquad has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by SaviorSelfJT View Post
    In order to put more momentum into the weight you must perform more work into it via a greater force, so.....?
    I mean momentum as in when people are swinging the weights during curls or having the bar bounce off their chest on the bench press. So, yes, you're right when you say it requires a greater force to move a higher weight, but when you put your back into curls it's not helping your biceps grow as much as if you really concentrated on the curl using a more appropriate weight.

PS: Lifting weights slow is harder, why else would you slow down when you get to heavy weight?
    You use a slow contraction to build strength and mass so you can lift those heavier weights. It's harder because it's working the muscle fibers more i.e. the time under tension the fibers are exposed to is increased and the fibers break down more which is what you want when you're going for mass and strength.

jstr94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstr94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstr94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstr94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstr94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstr94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstr94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstr94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstr94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstr94 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jstr94 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by spiderman997 View Post
    As fast as you can on the positive
    Control it on the way down on the negative
    what spidey said

CurlsgetGurls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CurlsgetGurls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CurlsgetGurls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CurlsgetGurls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CurlsgetGurls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CurlsgetGurls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CurlsgetGurls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CurlsgetGurls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CurlsgetGurls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CurlsgetGurls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CurlsgetGurls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "faster" reps to a certain extent may stimulate more hypertrophy due to the use of fast twitch muscle fibers, and when intensity goes up, more muscle fibers are utilized from the get go. But yeah, what everyone else has said is right, however when doing deadlifts, the negative should be a "controlled drop" rather than a proper negative, because if you're doing anything close to max effort those negatives will rape you fast and give you doms like you would never believe.

SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by FiringSquad View Post
    I mean momentum as in when people are swinging the weights during curls or having the bar bounce off their chest on the bench press. So, yes, you're right when you say it requires a greater force to move a higher weight, but when you put your back into curls it's not helping your biceps grow as much as if you really concentrated on the curl using a more appropriate weight.

You use a slow contraction to build strength and mass so you can lift those heavier weights. It's harder because it's working the muscle fibers more i.e. the time under tension the fibers are exposed to is increased and the fibers break down more which is what you want when you're going for mass and strength.
    It's harder to move a weight faster, and easier when you cheat by bringing more musculature into the lift (such as swinging while curling)

Time under tension doesn't mean anything. It's harder to sit down and then sit back up with 500 lbs on your back in 3 seconds than it is 5.
    Best lifts:

Originally Posted by CurlsgetGurls View Post
    "faster" reps to a certain extent may stimulate more hypertrophy due to the use of fast twitch muscle fibers, and when intensity goes up, more muscle fibers are utilized from the get go. But yeah, what everyone else has said is right, however when doing deadlifts, the negative should be a "controlled drop" rather than a proper negative, because if you're doing anything close to max effort those negatives will rape you fast and give you doms like you would never believe.
    The whole idea of fast vs slow twitch fibers is irrelevant when it comes to training. They exist, but they are not important in the slightest.
    Best lifts:

PlantStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlantStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlantStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlantStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlantStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlantStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlantStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlantStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlantStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlantStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) PlantStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by John1123 View Post
    It definitely matters. Tempo is an important training variable. Different speeds coupled with the same rep range will have a different affect. i.e 20 seconds and 10 reps is a much different effect than 40 seconds and 10 reps. Try exploding on the concentric (contraction) phase and slow and controlled on the way down.

guitarcrazy44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guitarcrazy44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guitarcrazy44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guitarcrazy44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guitarcrazy44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guitarcrazy44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guitarcrazy44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guitarcrazy44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guitarcrazy44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guitarcrazy44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) guitarcrazy44 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I just lift the weight a comfortable tempo.

Time under tension doesn't mean anything.
    I love it when people show just how little they know about the topic at hand.

ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So, increase the weight and get a real workout.

Time under tension doesn't mean anything
    Total time under tension x weight = total work performed. Weekly workload is silly to argue with - this means everything.