Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000)

Rubber mats density

I am currently in the market for new rubber flooring for my gym and curious on how dense speckled rubber flooring like the one from here
    http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/gym...reme-mats.html

is compared to something like Stall Mats or Bully Mats.
    As you can see on the picture the material is not homogenous and porous, more like compressed rubber crumbles. When Bully Mats I have are like solid rubber. My concern is compressibility of the speckled one and how much give I'd get under heels when squatting as I am not planning on building squat/deadlift platform.
    From my limited knowledge Bully Mats and Stall Mats go through revulcanization when heat and pressure creates solid structure, when speckled one use urethane to hold crumbles together.

Thanks in advance

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If its anything like the speckled stuff at my gym it feels almost exactly like stall mats with regards to compressibility. The only difference I notice is that it feels better under foot. Its got a very matt texture compared to the smooth feel that many stall mats have. Its nice stuff. Sorry I can't help more then that.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    If its anything like the speckled stuff at my gym it feels almost exactly like stall mats with regards to compressibility. The only difference I notice is that it feels better under foot. Its got a very matt texture compared to the smooth feel that many stall mats have. Its nice stuff. Sorry I can't help more then that.
    They usually go with just 3/8" thickness for gyms, not much to compress.
    Anyone used 3/4" or 1/2" tiles at home?
    http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/int...bber-tile.html

And somewhat related question. Most Stall Mats come with corrugated bottom, how that affects compressibility.
    Bill from Rogue Fitness mentions that con of Stall Mats at the very beginning.
    Is that what anyone experienced in practice?

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The stuff at the gym I use is half inch think.

I don't notice any compressibility from stall mats, at least nothing that distracts me from my lifts, and I train barefoot.

edit; The only time I notice the compressibility is when I'm doing higher impact work like burpees, but only because it is a little more forgiving on the joints then bare concrete.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

Some information I've just found that could be interesting for others rubber floor shoppers.
    Turned out that Humane LokTuff makes revulcanized flecked gym floor, which is as dense as blacks solid rubber in Stall and Bully Mats, non porous and water resistant.
    http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/int...-gym-tile.html
    That's the reason they add anti-slip pattern to the top.
    "Material – Rubber Gym Tiles are constructed of recycled black crumb rubber and virgin colored rubber flecks at a 25% color density. These recycled interlocking gym tiles are also vulcanized which means they are formed using heat and pressure to form a solid non porous and non absorbent mat surface. This allows for the gym tiles to have the highest tensile, tear, and abrasion resistance on the market for a rubber tile. This means unmatched durability and longevity."

This perhaps should be "go to" flecked gym flooring as all other compressed crumbs stuff is porous and flakes.

They have 3/4" option but only in black

Now the question, Is 1/2" rubber on the top of the concrete sufficient for most uses in free weights drop zones?
    Last edited by Andrew_WOT; 06-19-2012 at 09:29 AM.

I have just received some samples of LokTuff speckled tiles from TheRubberFlooringInc. These are solid rubber, hard as a nail, no crumbs at all. With that density 1/2" would be more than plentiful to protect the floor from dropped weights. Looks gorgeous in person as well.