chaelderson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

sprinting vs elliptical/treadmill

I've always done the elliptical machine since I started working out 5 months ago and picked up sprinting recently because I got bored of using that machine. I found out the hard way that it's not the same and took my legs almost a week to heal up. I heard that others can do this like 3 times a week. So, is it normal for someone just starting out to sprint to be sore as hell for a while?

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not only are you sore, but you're probably not getting much use of it as far as cardio goes.

I don't know how you equate eliptical to sprinting by any means. They have nothing to do with each other as far as exercise mechanics go. Learn to run. Keep sprinting. Get better.

chaelderson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just didn't realize that doing high resistance settings on the elliptical(like max 20) and air-walking would have zero affect on sprinting. Now I know.

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Be careful jumping right into sprinting if you don't have some kind of running base. It can be very hard on your joints. Make sure you are warming up well.

Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jimbo48 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Try hill sprints. It is easier on the joints due to the less impact of each step.

As for being sore, pretty much every time you exert yourself at some new activity expect to be sore. It will get better with time. I hill sprint 5 times a week with no soreness.

Also make sure you do a good warmup routine before you sprint. It should include dynamic stretches.

Strength & Bodybuilding aneksteind's Avatar
    aneksteind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aneksteind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aneksteind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aneksteind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aneksteind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aneksteind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aneksteind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes it's normal to be sore after sprinting for the first couple of times. Reason being this involves fast twitch muscle fibers which are used in things like weight training. With an elliptical you are using slow twitch muscle fibers because it's long cardiovascular work. Don't get me wrong, all muscle fiber types are used when you exercise, but the fast (type II) muscle fibers take over when you do anaerobic activity. DOMS can last more than a week, especially if you go hard enough. Sprinting can be dangerous though, and it normally included in a HIIT routine done about 3 times a week, so you're right in that respect.

http://thefitlog.blogspot.com/
    Check out my blog! - http://thefitlog.tumblr.com

Team MuscleTech Rep MuscleTechIan's Avatar
    MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50) MuscleTechIan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Agree with Jimbo,

Hill sprints will give you a great workout with less impact on your joints than traditional sprints.

It's also a great way to build explosive power in your lower body.
    Team MuscleTech Rep

Support Team MuscleTech and Vote NeuroCore for Supplement of the Year! - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/2012-supplement-awards.html

********.com/MuscleTech | Twitter.com/TeamMuscleTech | Twitter.com/MuscleTechDeals | YouTube.com/TeamMuscleTechVideos | Groups.bodybuilding.com/Team_MuscleTech

Registered User CSMpowerlifting's Avatar
    CSMpowerlifting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Easiest way to build up your sprinting endurance is to do them consistantly. For college football, the first two weeks we would do M/W/F 40 yard sprints, with the first 20 being sprint to the 40 yard line, and walk back to goal line as one. The last 20 would be sprint there and back counting as two.

After everyone got used to those, and build up thier twitch muscle fibers, we progressed to timed 25 yard shuttles. The athletic guys doing 25 yards there and back 6 times in 45 seconds, and the larger guys in 55 seconds. Just keep doing them and you will improve. They are good for cardiovascular health, and personally i prefer them to long boring runs.

ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ucla_matta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sprinting...would anyone consider this apart of HIIT?