andrei140989 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

how to lower sodium in your diet

Anyone knows how or what can i do to get rid of sodium in foods
    i know i should buy raw foods and cook but sometimes its waaayy too much cooking
    mainly asking for cottage cheese and prepared meats from the butcher
    im opened to all sorts of ideas

pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000)
    Do you have high blood pressure issues or a medical reason you need low sodium? If not eat as much as you want, as long as you drink plenty of water you're fine.

cadiz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cadiz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cadiz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cadiz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cadiz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cadiz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cadiz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cadiz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cadiz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cadiz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cadiz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Use a large crock pot and freeze leftovers. All raw ingredients go into the crock pot so you can decide how much sodium to use. I soaked red kidney beans overnight and they are currently boiling for 1.5 hrs. I'll make a gigantic pot of low sodium chili using fresh tomatos, red and green bell peppers, hot peppers, ground turkey, ect... and have food all week. (I made a 15 bean chicken stew yesterday as well). I have GERD due to a hiatal hernia so I prefer a low sodium diet.
    *The statements in this post have been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This post is intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by pshickey View Post
    Do you have high blood pressure issues or a medical reason you need low sodium? If not eat as much as you want, as long as you drink plenty of water you're fine.
    I do have high blood pressure and a heart problem. Do you have any real advice? Or are you just one of those people that say "just drink it off" as if its no big deal?

I'm fairly curious about what others do as well.
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by andrei140989 View Post
    i know i should buy raw foods and cook but sometimes its waaayy too much cooking
    If you don't like cooking, there are many "ready to eat" products with no added salt. If you have a "my fit foods" in your town, they make "heat and eat" meals that are convenient.

You could also batch-cook and freeze or do all the prepping before hand to save time.

How much salt are you currently averaging per day and what are your concerns, OP?

pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000) pshickey is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BookMonkey View Post
    I do have high blood pressure and a heart problem. Do you have any real advice? Or are you just one of those people that say "just drink it off" as if its no big deal?

No, I'm one of those people that get sick of idiots that think sodium, sugar, carbs, fats, etc... are bad and the devil. That's why I ASKED first if you have high blood pressure or any medical issues. Too many people come into the nutrition section after reading out dated articles or even current articles filled with nonsense posting stupid questions that a simple search will get them an answer.

Running for my life. The Running Man's Avatar
    The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) The Running Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've always found that eating a diet composed of mostly whole and minimally processed foods left me sodium deficient, especially as an athlete. I'm always actively adding sodium to my diet.

You need sodium. Unless you have a health issue that requires you to limit your sodium intake, then don't worry about it.

dobsqc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dobsqc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dobsqc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dobsqc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dobsqc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dobsqc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dobsqc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dobsqc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dobsqc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dobsqc is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dobsqc is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you need low sodium you have 2 options :

1. Cook your own foods from whole foods, Not adding sodium

2. Go in local supermarkets (preferably healthy ones.. (that's where you'll find the low sodium meal anyway) and look for homemade ready to cook pre-made meals. They should have low sodium

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)

lol This. Can't stand those guys that don't stay on-topic.

OP, just get more familiar with labels and researching the typical foods you eat. If you're looking to cut sodium down, you probably wouldn't go the cottage cheese regardless. Lean meats are usually pretty cool for low sodium, vegetables have nothin, fruit likewise, most natural and unprocessed foods we do eat are pretty low in sodium. It's when people start adding the salt and the sauces is when the sodium gets knocked up a bit.

Try to avoid packaged foods in this case, and buy in it's rawest state. For example, normal sweet potatoes and not the new frozen McCain Sweet Potato Fries.

But if you're purpose is to drop a bit of water from your physique, it's not just sodium that plays a role. Read into how carbs also contribute to storing water too. During a bulk it's not really a concern of course, but during a cut and getting extremely dry does require the proper knowledge of sodium and carbs.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted

iNjoYM0NSTER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iNjoYM0NSTER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iNjoYM0NSTER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iNjoYM0NSTER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iNjoYM0NSTER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iNjoYM0NSTER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iNjoYM0NSTER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iNjoYM0NSTER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iNjoYM0NSTER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iNjoYM0NSTER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iNjoYM0NSTER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Fruits have low sodium. There are food with reduced sodium or no salt added. Or you can simply cook your own meals and not add salt.
    Fitness is a journey, not a destination. Effort is the fuel to success. Don't count the days, make the days count.
    Never fear hard work, it can build anything.

cb00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cb00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cb00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cb00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cb00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cb00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cb00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cb00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cb00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cb00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cb00 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by andrei140989 View Post
    Know what's going into your mouth, and start reading labels. You don't need to be able to cook to reduce your sodium intake. There are some great choices in the supermarket frozen section, and a lot of ready-to-cook meals have taken a turn for the healthier.

Personally, a bag of ready-to-steam vegetables tossed into the microwave + Mrs. Dash seasoning is as easy as can be. Veggies, fruits, and whole unprocessed foods overall is what you're looking for.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Perhaps, but I've noticed on days where I have higher salt intake, I have heart problems. Most notably palpitations during sleep (it wakes me up sometimes).

It could be coincidental, but still...
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Perhaps, but I've noticed on days where I have higher salt intake, I have heart problems. Most notably palpitations during sleep (it wakes me up sometimes).
    You're likely a hyperresponder, but that doesn't mean that the average person should modify his/her diet to accomodate your specific issue.

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    people ITT should look into the sodium / potassium balance / connection

mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    people ITT should look into the sodium / potassium balance / connection
    This is an important point.

I've never had any blood pressure issues but I do maintain a lower sodium intake nowadays because I find I retain a lot of water when it's high.

I find that processed foods are typically higher in sodium, which is why I stick to buying and cooking my chicken etc and combine it with other whole foods instead of buying it pre-prepared.
    You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.

[IIFYM/Flexible Dieting Crew] - It ain't that hard dummy..

[Former 300+ Crew]

*** Fitness Advice, Tech Reviews and more: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattypaus?feature=guide