EmmWebb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

So...when do I bulk and where are my abs?

I posted this in women's forum, too, but I'm not sure if they're as active? Anyway, I've been cutting as hard as I can. Have dropped 15 lbs, but increased strength and dropped body fat to approximately 15% (I think?). Problem is I still don't have the abs I want, but my upper body is starting to look too thin. I'm definitely putting in the work, though not as heavy of weight. More crossfit style boot camps and running. Do I keep cutting until I see my abs reach the point I want them to? Or do I start a bulk phase to build up the scrawny upper body, then cut again? Part of my issue is letting my skin catch up with weight loss. I have a baby and I just turned 30, so it's taking a bit to bounce back. But part of it has to just be genetics and incorrect training, right? Any help you can give would be awesome.
    Attached Images

davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000) davesterrr is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You look more like 12% body fat in that picture.
    If you want your abs to pop out more you simply have to do more ab/core exercises.
    It doesn't matter how low your body fat drops, if your ab muscles aren't really developed then you won't really see them either.
    I would start doing crunches/sit ups and lying/hanging knee raises everyday 6 times a week. (weightless ones)
    30 minutes a day of ab cardio and you should start seeing real abs defining.

NateForce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NateForce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NateForce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NateForce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NateForce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NateForce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NateForce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NateForce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NateForce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NateForce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NateForce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    women have an inherintly higher body fat even if they look very lean so 15% sound pretty accurate. As far as abs...I think you can bulk now and this is where weighted crunches and leg lifts come in to play. No need to do 100s of situps...treat your abs like any other muscles...several sets of 10-12 reps...do them a few times a week. Lifting heavier weights and doing core lifts will also help develop the abs based upon the strength in the core that is developed from the lifts. Deadlifts, squats, cleans will get you there.

b34tBoX will become famous soon enough. (+50) b34tBoX will become famous soon enough. (+50) b34tBoX will become famous soon enough. (+50) b34tBoX will become famous soon enough. (+50) b34tBoX will become famous soon enough. (+50) b34tBoX will become famous soon enough. (+50) b34tBoX will become famous soon enough. (+50) b34tBoX will become famous soon enough. (+50) b34tBoX will become famous soon enough. (+50) b34tBoX will become famous soon enough. (+50) b34tBoX will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Continue to train with compound exercises, since you are female I would suggest you don't do isolation exercises for arms. Just my preference I guess. (hope that doesn't come across as me being a douche)
    Increasing your lean body mass would be a wise idea. Especially being tall, you would require more mass to build a more athletic structure.
    Stick with squats (slightly wider than shoulder width), deadlifts (close stance) and lunges (walking and/or split) to develop lower body. Your lower half should be your strongest feature.
    For upper body do inline press (dumbbell), standing overhead press (DB/BB) and bent over rows (DB/BB).
    Allow yourself adequate rest between working similar muscles again. Generally AT LEAST 48hours.
    I'm assuming your diet is good and clean, maintain that and add in isolation abdominal exercises like the others have suggested.
    As of now you have achieved fantastic results post-labor, so continue with that strong motivational factor you appear to have.

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking of just increasing clean calories for a bit, and lifting heavier. Not trying to get big arms, and my legs are already pretty cut, I just need more mass in general to keep the bones from showing, and I'd rather that mass not involve a higher body fat percentage. I'll keep on trucking, and love that I can come here and ask questions. You rock.

Also, thanks for the ab advice. I'll start more isolation exercises and see what pops out.

AllNatural27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AllNatural27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AllNatural27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AllNatural27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AllNatural27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AllNatural27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AllNatural27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AllNatural27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AllNatural27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AllNatural27 is on a distinguished road. (+10) AllNatural27 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by EmmWebb View Post
    Also, thanks for the ab advice. I'll start more isolation exercises and see what pops out.
    Ive been training natural for 11 years and the biggest tip i can give to you would be to make sure you dont get any weaker in your lifts when you are cutting, keep the same strength throughout. otherwise you will get to lean and look disproportioned. its pretty simple ,but the running part sux ass..

Musc1eBound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Musc1eBound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Musc1eBound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Musc1eBound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Musc1eBound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Musc1eBound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Musc1eBound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Musc1eBound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Musc1eBound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Musc1eBound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Musc1eBound is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just work your abs harder than you currently are. It seems that they are definitely there, just not as defined as you want. Everything else seems good.
    NPC Amateur.

Central Texas Showdown 2012: No placing
    Independence Day Classic 2014: 3rd Place - Novice Heavyweight

Mind + Body + Nature + Universe

"Life doesn't exist anywhere but Earth? That's like taking a cup of ocean water and saying there aren't any whales in the ocean." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Think abstract, ask questions.