orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Douche bags in gym

In my area, there's 1 gym. Next closest gym is about an hour drive 1 way so that's not an option.

Anyway, since there is only 1 gym, the day is full of seniors and I mean full. Every cardio machine is taken or reserved till afternoon and they just take forever to finish with machines. At night it is consistently full of young wanna be power lifters that do nothing but take up all the benches, racks and barbells. They scream, slam weights, just hog everything. They socialize around them all too so it puts a real strain on me and my wife trying to get our workout done in a timely manner.

This is making me think about setting up something small at home that we could do. Been thinking of getting a bench and some barbells. Figure I can do most chest, some shoulders, arms, and some back with it so the times we do get into the gym and it's semi quiet, we can just blast out what we can't do at home. Legs, back, some shoulders.

Sound like a feasible solution? Anyone else have to deal with this stuff at their gym?

Per Deum, Ego Invictus ODoyle99's Avatar
    ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000) ODoyle99 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    When I'm at college there's a workout room at my dorm, so I go there for convenience. Theres a group of guys there who all crowd around the free weights (my dorm only has dumbbells, no barbells) and all they do is curls. Curls with literally the worst form you can imagine, about 2 reps (while screaming) and then they shove the dumbbells onto the floor. They don't just drop them..they put force in it. Almost all of them are really loose or completely broken. Then they wait 10 minutes and do 2 more reps. I've walked in as they walk out and every single dumbbell above 30 pounds was not racked and just lying on the ground where they were.

*end rant

dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    OP, if you have the room, dump the gym and set up your own at home. Look at my gear below--very minimalist but it covers most everything. Most is used, you don't need as much weight as I sprung for, and when all is said and done you can do something similar for a few grand.

No more crap music, no more morons and clowns, no more commuting, no more waiting.
    ▪█───────█▪

Ivanko Barbell Crew Member #6

My Gear:

Lamar Rack w/lat & row setup
    Ironmasters DB's with add on package
    1000 lbs of Ivanko OM Plates
    Ironmaster Super Bench
    Parabody Roman Chair
    Precor 546 Elliptical
    Concept II rower Model D w/PM4

▪█───────█▪

I've had bi-lateral hip replacement.
    Ask me anything about it.

bill8912328 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I use the YMCA in my town. I like it because early of a morning there are Senior Citizens on the cardio machines which totally frees up the weights (mostly dumbells and a Smith machine) and of an evening when everyone gets off work and school lets out all the people gravitate towards the weights which allows me to do some HIIT cardio on the treadmills. My douche bags are the kind that use the weights and just leave everything out on the floor instead of putting it back like there supposed to.
    So Mote It Be....

Rise Of The Weak Squatter GinjaNinja85's Avatar
    Location: Brighton, East Sussex, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GinjaNinja85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm actually changing gyms because of this. My gyms crowded at all times. My workout goes something like this...

Walk in gym looking to do squats. Power rack is busy with several benchers ghetto benching their arses of. Immediately ask them how many sets they have left.

Do a different exercise nearby (OHP or just several warm up squats with a lighter bar) until the rack is free. Start squatting. Get asked several times how many sets I have left by more 'its chest day again' clowns. Give them the bad news but say 'you can work in with me'. Some do, some don't. Some work in and use the puss pad to quarter squat which is always quite entertaining. Never rush. I don't care if Arnold Schwarzenegger is waiting on me.

Sometimes you meet some alright people like this but it's a pain in the arse which is why I'm changing gyms.

In the meantime OP your just gonna have to suck it up and get stuck in and use the equipment with these fools until you get your gym.
    Powerlifter 160/100/195/455kg @ 91.55
    137.5/97.5/195/430kg @ 82.7

Boxer 5-1

Did someone say icecream? Mediumsized's Avatar
    Mediumsized has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I stopped using the Gym for exactly this reason. Didn't matter what time of day I went, seemed like someone was always using the piece of equipment I wanted to use and having a conversation with their buddies at the same time. An hours gym session ended up almost doubling in time due to all the waiting around. Don't even get me started on the people on the stationary bikes watching tv and pedalling at 2mph for an hour at a time. In the end I went and bought some squat stands, sawhorses (no room for power rack unfortunately) and some Oly weights. Pretty much everything I need at home and I can work out when it suits me. You can get most of this on ebay and when you add up the cost of a Gym memebership over a year or so it more than pays for itself.
    Last edited by Mediumsized; 06-16-2012 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Spelling

Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by orionkane View Post
    Figure I can do most chest, some shoulders, arms, and some back with it so the times we do get into the gym and it's semi quiet, we can just blast out what we can't do at home. Legs, back, some shoulders.
    Why can't you fully train back and shoulders with a barbell? You can do military press, rear delt rows, and bent-over rows. Beyond that, you could do barbell shrugs, power cleans, deadlifts, and pullovers. Which part of the back or shoulder am I missing?

qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) qoohhlt has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I define douhe bags as those ppl with ****ty body and limited knowledge and try to teach u how to train. And they argue with pros about their forms or exercise order lolz

TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheFuzz1290 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can make your own power rack for about $200 and buy weights.
    “The problem with many hypertrophy-based programs is that they leave out the strength component. You might get bigger as a result of the program, but if you don’t get any stronger you’re still a chump in my book. That’s right, I don’t care how big you are, if you aren’t strong you’re a sham. Having big muscles and no strength is the training equivalent of wearing a strap-on. All show and no go. End of story.” - Jim Wendler

5/3/1 blog - http://boringbutbig.tumblr.com

Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mongo81X has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Home gym

When building a home gym Craigslist + patience = win . I built a home gym, still adding to it, and found outstanding deals. Example York Olympic plates for 25cents a pound. Good luck.

orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10) orionkane is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Glad I'm not the only one dealing with this. Sad thing is we used to have another gym that was made for these people. Was even called Powerhouse but they closed down due to lack of memberships.

Reason I said maybe not fully training something is I'm still new and learning so I really haven't figured out everything I could do at home. Just going by memory right now but once I get some stuff, I'll be hitting the net looking at what's possible. I'm sure I can figure out everything that can be done with minimum equipment at home but to start, it's just going to be a bench and some barbells.

ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In my area, there's 1 gym. Next closest gym is about an hour drive 1 way so that's not an option.

Anyway, since there is only 1 gym, the day is full of seniors and I mean full. Every cardio machine is taken or reserved till afternoon and they just take forever to finish with machines. At night it is consistently full of young wanna be power lifters that do nothing but take up all the benches, racks and barbells. They scream, slam weights, just hog everything. They socialize around them all too so it puts a real strain on me and my wife trying to get our workout done in a timely manner.

This is making me think about setting up something small at home that we could do. Been thinking of getting a bench and some barbells. Figure I can do most chest, some shoulders, arms, and some back with it so the times we do get into the gym and it's semi quiet, we can just blast out what we can't do at home. Legs, back, some shoulders.

Sound like a feasible solution? Anyone else have to deal with this stuff at their gym?
    Wake up early and gym, bet you nobody will be hoggin nothin around 3-6am

Originally Posted by ISurfNudeBrah View Post
    Wake up early and gym, bet you nobody will be hoggin nothin around 3-6am
    I totally would but their hours are 9am to 9pm. I asked the admission people and they said the senior groups bus has them there right at 9am.

Stupid hours if you ask me.

mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000)

home gym or get bigger/badder than everyone else there and intimidate the hell out of them.. i work out at the Y and although it's a typical Y they actually have some pretty solid equipment.. my buddy and i are the only ones who squat in the squat rack and i have no issues asking others to move if they are doing curls in them.. i give them a set or two to clear out and if they still hang around i just simply ask them to work in and proceed to loading heavy weights.. they get the picture.
    {{**DIRTY SOUTH CREW**}}

Strength Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141019611&p=806856321#post806856321

Drive/Uncut Review:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158011943

ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ISurfNudeBrah has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I totally would but their hours are 9am to 9pm. I asked the admission people and they said the senior groups bus has them there right at 9am.

Stupid hours if you ask me.
    Awful gym hours.

Sign up at Anytime Fitness. 24hrs a day, 365days a year. You got you're own key to it... I go and train xmas morning at 2am if I want to!

Originally Posted by ISurfNudeBrah View Post
    Awful gym hours.

Sign up at Anytime Fitness. 24hrs a day, 365days a year. You got you're own key to it... I go and train xmas morning at 2am if I want to!
    That would be awesome if we had one here. Second closest gym is a golds that's an hour drive away.

Time to start building a home gym