knakworst has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Plank lower back pain

Hey, I'm back

Our coach often makes us do planks at practices, and from what I know you're supposed to feel that in your core, butI always only feel pain in my lower back/shoulders after a while. Does this mean I am doing something wrong, is there something wrong with me or is this just normal? I hardly have core strength/abs so that could add up to it, but I will have to keep on doing this... I still do average for my team with about 5 minutes, but my coach of course expects improvements.
    If a picture of me doing it is nescesarry I can provide it, but for now I'll just leave it like this.

Thanks

sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sly_106 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    if you're having back pain you're not doing it right. instead of supporting your midsection with your core you're putting the pressure on your spine.
    Don't think, just eat

Originally Posted by sly_106 View Post
    if you're having back pain you're not doing it right. instead of supporting your midsection with your core you're putting the pressure on your spine.
    Alright, but in what way would I be doing it wrong and how could I improve it?

kohlerbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kohlerbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kohlerbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kohlerbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kohlerbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kohlerbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kohlerbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kohlerbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kohlerbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kohlerbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kohlerbear is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It could be a result of not keeping your arms parallel. My friends often clasp their hands together (which I believe also creates a mechanical advantage and takes more stress off of your core) and complain of lower back pain the next day. I'd imagine not keeping your core tight and letting your body "droop" could also cause lower back pain

TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000) TheKoiCarp is just really nice. (+1000)
    You are probably relaxing the core due to it being weak and allowing your stomach to hang down, causing an excessive arch in your lumbar (lower back).

But without a picture it is anyone guess.
    Tight lower back? Aching knees? Poor hip flexor mobility? Weak glutes?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130876763

-=[Misc Scotch Crew]=-
    ***Misc Cigar Crew***
    ☆☆☆MISC BOXING CREW☆☆☆

Strength & Bodybuilding aneksteind's Avatar
    aneksteind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aneksteind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aneksteind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aneksteind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aneksteind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aneksteind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aneksteind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Start doing resistance training for your core to improve your strength. Don't just concentrate on this though. Work on your lower back strength as well with exercises like dead lifts or good-mornings. For the form of the plank, make sure your upper arms are perpendicular to the ground and to your body, your knees are slightly bent, core flexed, butt flexed, and don't move your head around.

Alright, thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I guess it is hard to see without a photo, but the system won't let me post images or links...
    It probably is either due to a weak core or back though.

Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50) Curlers will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    5 minutes is a long time to be doing a plank without bracing the core properly because the spine is gonna take the pressure instead, which obviously isnt a good thing.

just do a few sets of 15 or 30 seconds to get use to it. they say your supposed to draw your belly button in as you hold the position. dont suck the gut in like you would doing vacums, just concentrate on keeping the abs tight the whole time. keep them tight as if someone is about to punch you in the gut, but keep it tight like that the whole time. its hard to breathe during planks, so you'll have to learn to shallow breathe. what i mean is, getting use to breathing while bracing or keeping tension for X-amount of time.

hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Curlers View Post
    5 minutes is a long time to be doing a plank without bracing the core properly because the spine is gonna take the pressure instead, which obviously isnt a good thing.

just do a few sets of 15 or 30 seconds to get use to it. they say your supposed to draw your belly button in as you hold the position. dont suck the gut in like you would doing vacums, just concentrate on keeping the abs tight the whole time. keep them tight as if someone is about to punch you in the gut, but keep it tight like that the whole time. its hard to breathe during planks, so you'll have to learn to shallow breathe. what i mean is, getting use to breathing while bracing or keeping tension for X-amount of time.

hope this helps.
    Thanks, yeah. I guess need to start tightening my abs during the planks, but I find it quite hard to do that well. Considering just to start going to a gym and starting a decent workout plan in general, as I'm sure it will help in this kind of stuff.

svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000) svartberg is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ya in a nutshell you gotta tighten (not suck in !) core & glutes during planks.
    I've recently found this video where dude really digs front planks inside out, common mistakes and whatnot.