AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Carb Cycling For Contest Prep

Started my prep on monday, thinking about trying carb cycling starting next week just to see how it goes so been trying to figure out a protocol for it so want to know what you guys are doing, was thinking the following

2 High days, 2 medium, 3 low per week, should see me still at a calories defiect based on my calculations

High Days-350-400g
    Med-200g
    Low-100g

Protein-250g
    Fat-70-90g maybe lower

Last year was my first ever 'proper' cut, got pretty shredded, was cutting on 100g of carbs a day 80g fat and 250g protein with a refeed/disgusting cheat day once a week, but going to try something different this year as I don't think I can cut on such low carbs again especially now I'm much bigger then I was (probably about 10lbs more muscle)

oh and I'm currently 192lbs at approx 10%

also another question, how do you guys work out your cutting calories? I think I've been a bit low and my metabolism has slowed down so the carb cycling could give it the kick start it needs, current macro split is

Carbs-190g
    Fat-70g
    Protein-250g
    Kcals-2380

however using the Katch-McArdle Formula and Harris-Benedict Formula it comes out that my baseline calories should be about 3300, so cutting on 2800?
    ***East Midlands Aesthetics Crew***
    ***PMC - Where Amazing Happens***
    ***Occasional Physique Competitor Crew***
    ***Diets Harder For Festivals and Nights Out Than Shows Crew***
    ***Team Soreen***

AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AWG is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    81 views...0 input

seems legit
    ***Team Soreen***

Demon Fitness - Owner demonwareltd's Avatar
    demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Not sure what you are looking for? You said you followed a method that worked for you before? Why do you think going low carb is going to be harder because you are bigger? Do you feel on your last cut you were able to get shredded and maintain most of your size? If so, why change it?

My general advice on starting a cut is to start with the highest caloric intake that has you still droping 1-1.5 lbs a week and doing just a moderate amount of cardio (not too crazy). I follow that and will add cardio in 30 minutes at a time when weight loss slows. Once my cardio levels are fairly high, I'll start dropping 200 calories a week and keep them there until the gains again stop. I was able to drop 43 lbs doing this and cutting about 2 lbs a week. I had to be more aggressive than I would have liked because I had much to lose over a 20 week cut. Anywho I started at 3600 calories and ended my cut at 2400 calories. You wanna be careful not to get too low too fast or like you already mentioned, your metabolism will bottom out and you will have to spend time slowly increasing your calories to get it up and running again.

NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I didn't respond because you answered all your own questions, its a solid plan just try it and see how it works for you.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder

burnstacp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) burnstacp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) burnstacp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) burnstacp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) burnstacp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) burnstacp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) burnstacp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) burnstacp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) burnstacp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) burnstacp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) burnstacp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you have the ability to use a bodpod or hydrostatic weight system to measure BF% then go with the katch-mckardle formula to calculate your daily needs. It'll be a good bit more accurate. If your last diet worked why change? I tried carb cycling but I felt better running keto. It's really going to be personal preference as to how you feel day to day.
    http://extremebodyfit.com/interviews-2/adam-burns

Originally Posted by demonwareltd View Post
    Not sure what you are looking for? You said you followed a method that worked for you before? Why do you think going low carb is going to be harder because you are bigger? Do you feel on your last cut you were able to get shredded and maintain most of your size? If so, why change it?

My general advice on starting a cut is to start with the highest caloric intake that has you still droping 1-1.5 lbs a week and doing just a moderate amount of cardio (not too crazy). I follow that and will add cardio in 30 minutes at a time when weight loss slows. Once my cardio levels are fairly high, I'll start dropping 200 calories a week and keep them there until the gains again stop. I was able to drop 43 lbs doing this and cutting about 2 lbs a week. I had to be more aggressive than I would have liked because I had much to lose over a 20 week cut. Anywho I started at 3600 calories and ended my cut at 2400 calories. You wanna be careful not to get too low too fast or like you already mentioned, your metabolism will bottom out and you will have to spend time slowly increasing your calories to get it up and running again.
    You're right, maybe I should just stick to what worked last year, probably just trying to over complicate things as it's my first show prep

I think I've dropped to low already, allthough I have been cutting for 8 weeks initially, but not a show prep cut, will weigh in tomorrow and report back, thinkI should still be around 192lbs I was 2 weeks ago

Originally Posted by fltallpaul View Post
    I didn't respond because you answered all your own questions, its a solid plan just try it and see how it works for you.
    Will probably start on monday

Originally Posted by burnstacp View Post
    If you have the ability to use a bodpod or hydrostatic weight system to measure BF% then go with the katch-mckardle formula to calculate your daily needs. It'll be a good bit more accurate. If your last diet worked why change? I tried carb cycling but I felt better running keto. It's really going to be personal preference as to how you feel day to day.
    I have no access to such expensive equipment

and see above, maybe I'm just overcomplicating things because it's my first show prep rather then a normal cut, when reality is I shouldn't treat it much different at this stage
    ***Team Soreen***