witty comment goes here SimonThePieman's Avatar
    SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000)

Boxing for quick fit cutting

OK guise, i know there was similar thread on here, but it was started by a nobhead and became a flame war. Also there are other forums, but i most seem to have shoddy advice from kids and i know who can be trusted on here.

I have 3 weeks off work, where i have the entire day free. I actually can't even get a job if i want due to stupid australian laws. Its middle of winter so no beach or surfing and i'm trying to avoid spending cash. One option is there is cheap intro deal at a boxing gym near me. Whilst I'm in the nutMisc cutting competition I was thinking this could be an option to get myself doing something fun and constructive as well as burning off a few pounds (and also keep sane, i'm bored of reading and the home based stuff)

I have some boxing (western and thai experience, but nothing great) so I'm not a complete novice, but i'm hardly ringworthy.

I can cut on diet alone quite easily and agressively, but when chucking in a lot of intense cardio should i adjust many factors. I calorie cycle and wouldn't dream of 1500 cal day whilst doing sport.

I'm looking for the best fat loss with minimal muscle waste. I can accept some strength losses for a few weeks.

Is a 500-750 cal deficit coming from cardio alone (ie, eat at regular TDEE maintenance and let the boxing make the deficit the best option?) my weight training would probably be singles with some light assistance?

Its been a long time since I've dieted whilst doing sport so lacking some experience here and don't want to get overeager and **** up. In 3-4 weeks I am likely to have 1-2 weeks of 0 training so will have rehab time then and can go hard now
    Saying Zyzz inspired you to lift is like saying Justin Bieber inspired you to sing

NOW HAS A LOG!!!! peanut-butter's Avatar
    peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) peanut-butter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can get your own bag pretty cheap. I got a 5ft bag for like $45. Get a rope as well and you've got a pretty fun way to burn some cals.
    "Whoa, peanut-butter does look a lot like Cum." - Alan Aragon

IIFYMM- If it fits Your Macros and Micros.

5k+ Link (Please PM me if I forget)

*Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs

liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) liammccarthy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think he's more asking for strategies for maximal strength/muscle retention while cutting AND doing intense cardio (boxing training).

IMO - Guesstimate the amount of cals you'll burn in the boxing sessions.. I'd be guessing 800 cals per hour. Eat / drink just under that amount of cals in mostly carbs prior to the session. Mostly though, slowly increase your volume of work. Don't start out at 110%. Keep the same weekly deficit.

In my experience, when trying to lose weight while lifting heavy and training for a sport, something's gotta give. For me it was always the weight loss that suffered as I wasn't prepared to sacrifice performance. You might have to prioritise what's most important:

1. Weight / Fat loss
    2. Muscle / Strength Loss
    3. Performance

SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah Liam has got the comprehension skills of you 3. I'll have unlimited access to proper gym with good trainers in MT and boxing.

my priorities will be

1. fat loss
    2. entertainment/challenge
    3. general conditioning
    4. boxing skills

If I'm aiming at a weekly 4.5K-5.5K deficit and will train 4 x a week. how should I set up my cals on 'training and 'non training days' assuming that that cals burned per session are 800 cals?

Please can I can answers from experience, as losing weight and intense sport is a lot different from cal deficit and weight training. same day cals or up on training days?

My TDEE is approx 2600
    Saying Zyzz inspired you to lift is like saying Justin Bieber inspired you to sing

Yes.....I'm that wrestler MASSter's Avatar
    MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MASSter is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Stay safe OP

likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) likeawashboard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SimonThePieman View Post
    Yeah Liam has got the comprehension skills of you 3. I'll have unlimited access to proper gym with good trainers in MT and boxing.

my priorities will be

1. fat loss
    2. entertainment/challenge
    3. general conditioning
    4. boxing skills

If I'm aiming at a weekly 4.5K-5.5K deficit and will train 4 x a week. how should I set up my cals on 'training and 'non training days' assuming that that cals burned per session are 800 cals?

Please can I can answers from experience, as losing weight and intense sport is a lot different from cal deficit and weight training. same day cals or up on training days?

My TDEE is approx 2600
    So you're boxing on your weight lifting days? It obviously depends on what you will be doing in your boxing sessions. I don't know the setup, but if it's like every other boxing club I've been in they'll probably have you doing a phuck load of warm-ups (jogging) before getting into bag and pad work. If I were you I would try to just do the boxing part of it. One, it is very intense even without the traditional cardio for a beginner, and two, less risk of burnout as well as getting god at boxing. I would increase your calories on training days, but it's difficult to know how much you are burning, I guess you will know by weighing yourself every week? Sorry if it's not the answer you're looking for, just an idea. I guess this is where meal timing might become more relevant as you will feel like you need energy fast.

TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    length and frequency of sessions?

razer1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) razer1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) razer1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) razer1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) razer1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) razer1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) razer1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) razer1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) razer1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) razer1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) razer1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It might not be the same in mine case, since i don't count calories, but when i do longer cardio sessions i just eat more, and the days when i do only gym sessions, or very little cardio i eat less.

The sessions are 1.25-1.5 hours, drills, pads and scenario sparring. I have the option of 3 lessons a day (all in afternoon) and an open gym in the morning to whatever i want

Next week I am going to do pretty much singles and rehab on lifting days to issues.

TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TomBremner is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The sessions are 1.25-1.5 hours, drills, pads and scenario sparring. I have the option of 3 lessons a day (all in afternoon) and an open gym in the morning to whatever i want

Next week I am going to do pretty much singles and rehab on lifting days to issues.
    how many days a week? an hour of boxing can easily burn 500 cals so depending on frequency you may have your deficit there. if you wanna drop weight faster id just stay at your current intake, maybe raise protein/carbs

i would aim for 3 sessions a week and probably another cardio session as well.

i would aim for 3 sessions a week and probably another cardio session as well.
    id say raise cals maybe 100 each day and stick with that unless performance drops.

finnagainn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is my case - I am currently lifting, boxing and cutting. Boxing is the part that hinders weight loss in this scenario, as I would go for much bigger calorie deficits if I did not care about boxing performance. It literally hurts to under-perform in the ring

this is what I'm worried about. I can handle large deficits with just lifting.

I can handle copious amounts of volume and cardio on a surplus.

cutting on a sport is something I'm not that experienced with. Maybe I should just try and learn a language and stick to what I am doing :$