Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    barbellend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barbellend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barbellend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barbellend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Barbellend's log

Starting a log up on here as I really need to start tracking my workouts. This way I can track my progress properly and remember what weights I am lifting.

Currently de-loading as I've been hitting brick walls and feeling beat up lately. Plus, this will give me a chance to iron out form issues and improve my work capacity (really bad at the moment due to doing only one heavy set for a while).

Following a generic upper/lower routine, goal is to become stronger and if extra growth occurs on the side then I can't complain.
    Bodyweight is currently ~90kg. Stopped calorie counting as it wasn't working for me. Will try to eat intuitively (decent amount of protein, lots of fruit and veg and some starch, fish oil) and maybe diet in the future.

Today:

Squats: 137.5kg 3x8
    Romanian deadlifts: 145kg 2x8
    Leg Press: 90kg 2x12
    Single-leg hamstring curls: 27 2x12

Kneeling crunches: 42.5 2x8
    Back extensions: ez bar + 20kg

barbellend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barbellend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barbellend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barbellend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Pretty terrible upper session. Fatigue was definitely a limiting factor.

Barbell Press: 57.5kg 2x8, 1x6
    Pull-ups / Chin-ups: (+10kg) 6/6, (+5kg) 4/6.

Bench Press: 62.5kg 1x12, 1x9
    Rows: 71kg 2x12
    Did some lat pulldowns to compensate lack of pull ups.

Lateral raises 7.5 2x8
    Biceps and Triceps: EZ + 25kg. 2x8

Cardio (will probably have three sessions a weeks on my "off" days)

Stationary bike - 16.5 miles.

Reiterated just how unfit I am and now I have horrible chafe marks too.

Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Charnell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by barbellend View Post
    I have horrible chafe marks too.
    Vaseline or get a pair of compression shorts.

Poor sleep and forgot my mp3 player = pretty rubbish lower workout.

Squats: 142.5kg 2x6, 1x8
    RDL: 150kg 2x8

Leg Press: 100kg 2x12

Weighted crunches: 2x8

Had to rush and couldn't be bothered with hamstring curls or back raises, Will just do them tomorrow, no worries!!

Upper

Barbell Press: 60kg 2x8, 1x6
    Pull Ups (+10kg) 2x6, bw 2x6

Row: 68kg 2x12
    DB Bench: 24kg's 1x15, 1x12

Triceps: EZ bar: [+30kg] 1x8, 1x3.. [+25kg] 1x10
    Lateral Raises: [10] 1x8, [7.5] 1x8
    Cable curls: [10] 2x8

Back Raise: [Green band + EZ bar + 22.5kg] 2x8

Note to self, never do back raises without warming up lower extremities especially when suffering doms. Painful!

45 mins of stationary bike, not too sure on stats because bike cut out twice .

30 Jun 13

45 mins on bike, 17.5 miles.

01 Jul 13

Squats: 145kg 3x8
    RDL: 152.5kg 2x8

Leg Press: 110kg 2x12

Back raises: [Green Band, EZ bar + 27.5kg] 1x8, 1x5

Good mornings: 60kg 2x12

Good session, squat form felt tight and sets were probably 7 or 8/10 on effort scale.
    Seated leg curl was out of use, so decided to try out good morning. Probably bad idea as my lower back was tanked by then but felt a really nice stretch in my hamstrings.
    Couldn't be bothered doing ab work, will do them tomorrow.

Barbell Press 60kg 1x8, 1x7 50kg 1x8 superset chin ups +10kg 1x6, 1x5... +5kg 2x6... BW ?x6-8 probably did 30 altogether.

Bench: 65kg 1x10, 1x6
    Rows: 80kg 1x10, 1x12

Skulls: Tricep Bar + 22.5kg 2x10

Lateral Raises 2x10 superset with curls 2x10

Abs: 42.5 2x8

Terrible sleep = terrible session.
    Arms were pretty shaky after second set. Talked myself into lowering the weight for the third and was hoping for at least 12 but wasn't to be. Also meant bench was a bit of a fail, should have known better. Starting to think supersetting with chin ups may not be a good idea.

Didn't bother doing any cardio work yesterday, lower stuff today

Squats: 147.5kg 3x8
    RDL: 155kg 2x8

Leg Press: 120kg 2x12

Abs 45 2x8

Decent workout. Squats probably 8/10.
    Felt the worst cramp in my abs after direct work, which meant back extensions were a complete no go.
    Hamstring curl machine is still broken, will need to come up with a makeshift hamstring isolation exercise.

Quick upper.

DB Bench: 32kg 3x8
    Rows: 82kg 3x8

Skulls: Ez bar + 30kg 2x8
    Lateral Raises + Curls

Also did some back raises: EZ bar + 30kg 2x8

Decided to join in with one of the fat loss threads. This means calorie counting, I will try and aim for ~1.5 - 2 lb weekly fat loss using zone type ratios (40/30/30). Starting off with a calorie limit going by 11g /lb = 2233 kcals. Cutting routine will be similar except will stop doing the high rep fatigue work and do less sets.

After a few false starts, my cut is properly underway now. Pretty fat at the moment, will stick to this diet (for a change!). Temporary goal is ~185lbs.

First lower workout today with slightly less volume (thankfully, didn't really have anymore in me).

Squats: 150kg 2x8
    RDLs: 157.5kg 1x8

Abs: 45 1x8
    Back Raises: 42.5kg 1x10

Under-ate yesterday by quite a bit because I wasn't very hungry after several days of overfeeding.
    Kind of explains today's poor upper.

Press: 62.5kg 1x8, 1x5
    Chin Ups: 1x8, 1x6

Triceps: Ez Bar +32kg 1x6, +30kg 1x6
    Lateral Raises and curls to finish.

Last week, i measured in at around 203 lb (in clothes and with food in me i think), however, this morning I weighed in at 191.84 :O crazy water weight
    fluctuations.

Gym session was really sucky, not sure if it's the reduced calories (eating aruond 2100kcals) or the poor sleep and morning workout (which obviously didnt help!)

Squats: 150kg 1x3, 1x6
    RDLs: 157.5kg 1x8

Back extensions: ez bar and 22.5kg 1x9
    Abs 1x8

Will stick around 2100 kcals and reassess my next squat session.

Bench press: 70kg 2x8
    Rows: 82kg 2x8

Lateral raises 1x10
    Biceps 1x8
    Triceps: ez bar + 32kg 1x6 probably would have got 8 if I used the proper decline bench and not a improvised one.

Squats: 150kg 2x6
    Deadlifts: 160kg 1x8

Back Extensions 42.5kg 1x10
    Abs: 1x8

Squats didn't feel particularly convincing. I tried to stay upright but felt like tipping over towards the end. Managed more reps as I overate a few days (oops - intake really has been terrible these past days) so had plenty of energy and tried to compensate.
    Also forgot my chalk so I decided to do conventional deadlifts and reset my grip each rep.. wasn't bad but eventually had to run and use paper towels....had plenty in the tank had it not been for my hook grip.

Got to the gym and was turned away . Didn't realise today is a bank holiday which meant earlier closing times .

Decided to go to a park and do some chin ups. Was hoping for 50 reps but I started cramping up in the abs (wut) and the bar was very awkward and my wrists started to hurt a lot. . Ended up only doing 2x10, 1x6. Shame.

Press: 62.5kg 1x8, 1x5
    Deadlifts: 165kg 1x8

Triceps: 42.5kg 1x9
    Lateral raises / Biceps

Lat Pulldowns: 82 1x8, 68 1x8

-------------------------------------
    Switching up training to three full body workouts (2 squat days an 1 deadlift days) a week. Reasons being I'm normally too gassed after squats to rdl so working upper may offset this. Also, my previous workout reminded me how fun regular deadlifts are. Did these in adidas gazelles which felt slightly different to lifting in my wl shoes.

Also raising calories up to 2250 (by upping fats and lowering carbs) because my workouts have been feeling awful as of late and I've been far too hungry to bare. Will see how this increase will impact the weight loss (I estimated my maintenance to be between 2800 and 3000).

Bench Press: 72.5kg 2x8
    Squats: 150kg 1x7, 1x6

Rows: 88kg 2x8

Back Extensions: 47.5kg 1x10
    Standing Abs: 40 1x10

Not too bad, really feeling the pecs working when I'm benching for a change.
    Swapping kneeling abs to standing variation as I was thinking my hip flexors were playing too much of a role in the past..

Diet adherence has been pretty awful..

Bench: 75kg 2x8
    Rows: 90.3kg 2x8

Back Extensions: 47.5kg 1x10
    Abs: 45 1x10 ..

Press: 62.5kg 1x8 1x4
    Deadlifts: 175kg 1x5
    Lat Pulldowns: 84.5 2x8

Triceps: 42.5kg 1x8
    Lateral raises and biceps to finish.

Running deadlifts 5/3/1 style (1RM = 195kg based on last week's effort). Tempted to forgo the 1+ week though as my goal lies in maintaining and I don't want to tap into my recovery. On the other hand, maybe I should just follow the phucking program and stop hopping around...

Bench: 77.5kg 1x8, 1x6
    Squats: 150kg 1x6, 1x8
    Back extensions: 49.5kg 1x10
    Rows: 92.5kg 2x8
    Abs: 42.5kg 1x10
    Smith Calf Raises: 80kg 4x12

Pretty sub-par workout. I probably could have got the target 8 reps for bench but I was too worried about getting pinned. Plus, my set-up was pretty bad, the bench was too far back I think so my arse was not very stable (maybe i'm just rationalising my shocking weak bench!) Similar with squat, felt some pain in my knee which temporarily subsided after a bit of massage to the shin and quads. Could explain why set 2 felt much more comfortable.

Diet has been atrocious these past couple of days. I'm pretty certain I've been consuming 3-5000 kcals which is just embarrassing. In addition, I think my scales have been giving me false readings recently which doesn't help. Thankfully, I'm seeing someone to help me overcome this problematic binge habit.

Press: 62.5kg 1x6, 1x5
    Deadlifts: 185x1
    RDL: 130 1x8
    Pulldowns: 84.5 2x8

Triceps: 42.5kg 1x7
    Lateral Raises 7.5 1x10
    Biceps 27.5 1x10
    ------------------------
    I decided to switch up to a PSMF diet (to counter the binges and because I had ephedrine on hand so thought what the heck (not had to resort to them as of yet though haha). As a consequence, I definitely felt a lot more fatigued than usual despite taking caffeine. Regardless, I think this diet might be better for me as I have more control. Following a flexible approach gave me too much wiggle room meaning there was a greater chance for things to go out of control. I'll see how I get on after a while.

As such, workout was pretty decent all things considered. Probably shouldn't have continued with the 5/3/1 deadlifts though (on a good day I can rep 4 plates pretty easily), god I'm dumb! Threw in a set of rdls after with controlled eccentrics. These felt sore. Don't think I was doing them quite right in the past (too rushed, too much bouncing etc..etc..). Will do RDLs from now on out (i promise!)
    Calves have been on fire ever since my last workout. So painful!

Bench: 77.5kg 1x8, 1x4
    Squats: 150kg 1x6
    Rows: 90.3kg 2x8
    Back Extensions: 50kg 1x10
    Abs: 45 1x10

Despite having some food, 3 coffees and some extra caffeine pre-workout, I still felt pretty weak, diet playing a massive role.
    So glad that I was in and out under an hour. So glad to be out of there.

Press: 62.5kg 1x5
    Squats: 150kg 2x2
    Lat Pulldown: 87kg 2x8

Skulls: 42,5kg 1x8
    Lateral raises and biceps
    --------------------------
    Pretty awful past couple of days diet and sleepp-wise. As such, I wasn't surprised by my dismal showing at the gym, just felt weak all over.
    Squats just didn't feel comfortable. Lower back felt quite tender. I'm not sure if this is due to trying out a different technique and my body isn't used to it.
    Time to get back on track.

Been very inconsistent as of late, I should be more accountable for my actions.

Bench: 80kg 1x8
    Squats: 150kg 1x6
    Rows: 95kg 1x8

Back extensions: 50kg 1x12
    ------------------------
    Will probably just stick with one work set, just feel gassed after any more work.
    Weight has temporarily ballooned upwards just shy of 200 lbs. Don't think I've ruined all my progress completely but definitely hasn't helped.

Press: 60kg 2x2
    RDLs: 150kg 2x8
    Chin Ups: BW 1x8

Triceps: 42.5kg 1x8
    Lateral raises and curls

Just didn't feel in the mood today. Weights felt heavy and mind just wasn't in the game. I attribute this to my haphazard sleep schedule.

Lower

RDLs: 150kg 1x8

Back Extensions: 50kg 1x8
    Calves: 100kg 1x10

Quite pleased with this session as I was feeling really terrible this morning. Even though i've squatted sets of 150kg for quite a while, my form seemed a lot smoother today. Felt a lot more mm connection wrt the lower back. Plus, I thought I only had one set in me, so to get the two felt gd man.

RDL'd today instead of row and bench, will opt for lower/upper instead.

Lower today.

Squats: 152.5kg 1x8, 1x6
    RDL: 150kg 1x8
    Smith Calves: 90kg 1x10
    Lower Back: 50kg 1x9
    Abs: 1x10

Wasn't feeling very well all day. Probably could have got the eight reps for squat, but I felt really bloated in the gym...

Not been terribly consistent with training or diet side of things. Going to transition to a less severe diet as the diet that I was on was just not working for me, despite how much I tried to persist with it. Plus this more moderate diet will give me a chance to put some cardio in.

Just wasn't in the correct mindset today al all. Further exacerbated by doing some deadlifts which was probably not the best idea. I absolute hate upper days though.

Bench: 82.5kg 1x6, 1x3
    RDLs: 150kg 1x8
    Rows: 95kg 2x8

Lots of rotator cuff work. blergh.