Fighting4Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Am I overtraining? MMA training

I'm 19 and I'm really interested in fighting I'm not looking to go professional but amateur mma fights really has grabbed my attention. My workout shedule is so jam packed that I feel like I am overtraining my body, but I'm not entirley sure.

Monday: 5-6 Kick Boxing; 6-7 MMA Sparring
    Tuesday: 5-6 Strength & Conditioning; 6-7 Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Wednesday: 5-6 Kick Boxing; 6-7 Boxing
    Thursday: 5-6 Strength and Conditioning; 6-7 Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Friday; Saturday; Sunday: OFF

Based on what I've read about overtraing I could possibly be doing it but I'm not exactly sure. I really wanted to get back into weightlifting to compliment everything else because a strong flexible and versitile fighter is a happy and successful one. But I feel like I'm already over training and adding 3 1 hour workouts a week will only add to my over working of my body. My fighting routines are great and do give me a workout but I find them to have a more cardiovascular effect on me, especially the strength and conditioning course. Am I currently overtraining? If not would weightlifting 3x a week cause me to overtrain? Also, is there anything I can do to keep my current routine + 3x a week and not be overtraing? Maybe an increase in calories?

Thank you all very much

Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500) Navynukeman is not very helpful. (-500)
    You would know if you are overtraining. It is very hard to overtrain (assuming you have the right diet)

Somebody told me that if you need to ask if you are overtraining, you're not overtraining

MS,CSCS,CF-L1,USAW,WBB HamburgerTrain's Avatar
    HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're only training 8 hours a week. There is no way on Earth you are overtraining. If anything, you are not training enough.

Resident Pedal Masher robbie_vlad's Avatar
    robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) robbie_vlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    This:

Originally Posted by Navynukeman View Post
    You would know if you are overtraining. It is very hard to overtrain (assuming you have the right diet)

Somebody told me that if you need to ask if you are overtraining, you're not overtraining
    and this:

Originally Posted by HamburgerTrain View Post
    You're only training 8 hours a week. There is no way on Earth you are overtraining. If anything, you are not training enough.

When you are overtraining/under-recovering/eating you feel mentally and physically sluggish/foggy and often struggle mentally and physically with things that are normally routine. I work 30hrs a week and train 10-14hrs a week, as long as you have incorporated enough nourishment and recovery time in, you can really push the limits.
    Is breá liom mo eagla.

Originally Posted by HamburgerTrain View Post
    Haha well I really appreciate oppinions if you did 8 hours of training a week like this you would know I'm far from undertraining, also most people run 3-4 day splits for their workouts an hour each thats the average person (no someone trainging for bodybuilding) and thats 4 hours so 8 hours is far from undertraining.

Thanks for the help, I thought it was a set thing, overtraining. I guess its more based off of how you progress and grow and how your body's stamina feels. Awesome Thankyou!

antoniod999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    over training in terms of lifting and in terms of fighting are 2 different things.

in terms of lifting and building muscle, its talking about things such as recovery time, motivation, etc.
    when you hear that an mma fighter over trained for a fight, its talking about his mental state going into the fight, not that he literally spent too long in the gym. from experience, the last couple days before the fight you want to be focused on nothing but the fight, no baby mama drama or any of that, 100% focus. over training happens when you get that super focused too early prior to the fight, naturally you want to keep training, harder than normal because you feel so motivated. eventually your mood goes back to normal and that "drop" in mood/focus for the fight is generally the over trained feeling that mma fighters talk about. now this is all from my personal experiences. you wont really know until youve had a few fights and have felt the difference of going into a fight happy and focus vs pissed off or depressed.

regardless of how you look at it though, you aren't over training. between lifting, bjj, striking and conditioning i easily put in 2 (if not close to 3) times as much time in the gym. then again, i dont know where your head is at, so this may be too much.

Originally Posted by antoniod999 View Post
    over training in terms of lifting and in terms of fighting are 2 different things.

in terms of lifting and building muscle, its talking about things such as recovery time, motivation, etc.
    when you hear that an mma fighter over trained for a fight, its talking about his mental state going into the fight, not that he literally spent too long in the gym. from experience, the last couple days before the fight you want to be focused on nothing but the fight, no baby mama drama or any of that, 100% focus. over training happens when you get that super focused too early prior to the fight, naturally you want to keep training, harder than normal because you feel so motivated. eventually your mood goes back to normal and that "drop" in mood/focus for the fight is generally the over trained feeling that mma fighters talk about. now this is all from my personal experiences. you wont really know until youve had a few fights and have felt the difference of going into a fight happy and focus vs pissed off or depressed.

regardless of how you look at it though, you aren't over training. between lifting, bjj, striking and conditioning i easily put in 2 (if not close to 3) times as much time in the gym. then again, i dont know where your head is at, so this may be too much.
    So your saying you spend close to 20-30 hours a week in the gym? That doesn't sound like focus that sounds like a gym rat time in the gym has nothing to do with focus, its how hard you train. I burn around 1500 cal per session because I train hard, thats around 3000 cal alone burned off daily without including my daily life or weightlifting. Thats why I asked about overtraining because I felt that my body was just worn down and I couldn't see it. I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe you spend 20-30 hours a week in the gym.

ask about my narcissism MrDude1's Avatar
    MrDude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrDude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrDude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrDude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrDude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrDude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrDude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrDude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrDude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrDude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrDude1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Fighting4Life:
    You know that foggy "unfocused" feeling you get after you just rolled 3 or 4 BJJ matches in a row with little break.. where you caught your breath, but as you're going into that 5th match, its harder to focus on what your opponent is doing..
    Overtraining is when you wake up the next morning, and your entire morning feels like that. you cant focus on what you're doing. you cant make your arm/leg work (and its not just stiff or tired, but just not working right)

Thats the way I look at it. It takes A LOT to get there. The fact that you're 19 and are probably near your hormone level peak is working waaay in your favor. If you can lift now, do it... you're naturally at where some people take gear to get to.. use it to your advantage.

Originally Posted by MrDude1 View Post
    Fighting4Life:
    You know that foggy "unfocused" feeling you get after you just rolled 3 or 4 BJJ matches in a row with little break.. where you caught your breath, but as you're going into that 5th match, its harder to focus on what your opponent is doing..
    Overtraining is when you wake up the next morning, and your entire morning feels like that. you cant focus on what you're doing. you cant make your arm/leg work (and its not just stiff or tired, but just not working right)

Thats the way I look at it. It takes A LOT to get there. The fact that you're 19 and are probably near your hormone level peak is working waaay in your favor. If you can lift now, do it... you're naturally at where some people take gear to get to.. use it to your advantage.
    Awesome way to explain it!!! lol put it in terms I've experienced awesome! Thanks!!