buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

is it hard to become a registered dietitian?

Compared to other careers?

dirtyram will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyram will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyram will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyram will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyram will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyram will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyram will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyram will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyram will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyram will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyram will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ya, once you graduate with a Nutrition degree. You have to take the GRE exam and apply for graduate school and become accepted into the program.
    B.S. Exercise Science 11'

Bachelor of Nutrition 13'

Rock Crawler Crew: aka Spiderman

"And as things fell apart, nobody paid much attention"

buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250) buknasty has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dirtyram View Post
    Ya, once you graduate with a Nutrition degree. You have to take the GRE exam and apply for graduate school and become accepted into the program.
    Im a litle confused. Csu northridge has a bachelore program that once you complete it you are able to do an internship and i thought after that you can be an rd

lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dirtyram View Post
    That's one way of doing it. You could also do a 5-year Didactic Program in Dietetics for undergrad and graduate with a B.Sc. in Dietetics, at which point you take the licensing test and then you're an RD.

I'm on my second year of undergrad for dietetics. You're going to have to take every form of biology and chemistry known to man, and they are very hard, but the actual nutrition classes are embarrassingly easy if you know anything about nutrition to start with, so it evens out.

Originally Posted by lexinak View Post
    That's one way of doing it. You could also do a 5-year Didactic Program in Dietetics for undergrad and graduate with a B.Sc. in Dietetics, at which point you take the licensing test and then you're an RD.

I'm on my second year of undergrad for dietetics. You're going to have to take every form of biology and chemistry known to man, and they are very hard, but the actual nutrition classes are embarrassingly easy if you know anything about nutrition to start with, so it evens out.
    I dont know much about college. I thought to become an r.d in california it required you to obtain a bachelors degree in nutrition, pass an exam, and do 900hrs of internship.

Are you guys saying there is additional schooling after any of this?

lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by buknasty View Post
    I dont know much about college. I thought to become an r.d in california it required you to obtain a bachelors degree in nutrition, pass an exam, and do 900hrs of internship.

Are you guys saying there is additional schooling after any of this?
    http://www.eatright.org/BecomeanRDor...t.aspx?id=8143

You can get a bachelor's degree in dietetics from a CADE-accredited program, get a graduate degree in dietetics from a CADE-accredited program, or take the CADE-required classes during/after completing your bachelor's degree in any program. Then you do an internship, then you take the test, then you're an RD.

The difference between a degree in dietetics and a degree in nutrition is massive. Nutrition is not a regulated word; anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. "Dietitian" is regulated and you must jump through the American Dietetic Association's educational hoops before you're allowed to call yourself one. So a degree in nutrition isn't of much use to you - it must be an accredited dietetics degree.

CSU Northridge does have an accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics. If accepted (and it's generally very competitive with small class sizes), you'll wind up graduating with a degree in dietetics. You'll do a yearlong internship, take the licensing test, and at the end of 5 years be allowed to call yourself a Registered Dietitian. (After that you will have to take continuing education classes, so there will be some "additional schooling.")

http://www.eatright.org/BecomeanRDor...t.aspx?id=8143

You can get a bachelor's degree in dietetics from a CADE-accredited program, get a graduate degree in dietetics from a CADE-accredited program, or take the CADE-required classes during/after completing your bachelor's degree in any program. Then you do an internship, then you take the test, then you're an RD.

The difference between a degree in dietetics and a degree in nutrition is massive. Nutrition is not a regulated word; anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. "Dietitian" is regulated and you must jump through the American Dietetic Association's educational hoops before you're allowed to call yourself one. So a degree in nutrition isn't of much use to you - it must be an accredited dietetics degree.

CSU Northridge does have an accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics. If accepted (and it's generally very competitive with small class sizes), you'll wind up graduating with a degree in dietetics. You'll do a yearlong internship, take the licensing test, and at the end of 5 years be allowed to call yourself a Registered Dietitian. (After that you will have to take continuing education classes, so there will be some "additional schooling.")
    okay so basically i was right. get degree, do internship, pass a test. CEU's dont really scare me. what scares me is the competetive dietetics program. what year of college do you apply to get into that?

EDIT: I just read CSUN FAQ's about the program. the only part they said that was competetive was the internship. If accepted into the school, dont i just take the DPD coursework and then continue on?? Or do I have to be accepted to take the coursework or what? i dont understand how that all works
    Last edited by buknasty; 06-12-2012 at 09:44 PM.

okay so basically i was right. get degree, do internship, pass a test. CEU's dont really scare me. what scares me is the competetive dietetics program. what year of college do you apply to get into that?

EDIT: I just read CSUN FAQ's about the program. the only part they said that was competetive was the internship. If accepted into the school, dont i just take the DPD coursework and then continue on?? Or do I have to be accepted to take the coursework or what? i dont understand how that all works
    Don't know how CSUN does it. I'm at a school where you are pretty easily accepted into the lower division classes as "pre-dietetics," but only FIVE people are allowed into the upper division classes each year because there's only room for five in the internship. Aside from that absurd bottleneck which mostly comes (probably) from living in a less populated state, a lot of people are turning on to the fact that allied health professions (physical therapy, dental hygiene, dietetics, etc.) are a solid living for less work than becoming a doctor, lawyer, dentist, etc. so enrollment in those majors is way, way up.

Don't know how CSUN does it. I'm at a school where you are pretty easily accepted into the lower division classes as "pre-dietetics," but only FIVE people are allowed into the upper division classes each year because there's only room for five in the internship. Aside from that absurd bottleneck which mostly comes (probably) from living in a less populated state, a lot of people are turning on to the fact that allied health professions (physical therapy, dental hygiene, dietetics, etc.) are a solid living for less work than becoming a doctor, lawyer, dentist, etc. so enrollment in those majors is way, way up.
    I see. Well thanx for the help i really appreciate it. What i was affraid of was spending all this money on school only to find out later that i cant complete what i aimed for. I think i just need to call the school and get the whole story on how it works.

So you are shooting to be an rd? What is your plan if for some reason you cant get into the internship?

I see. Well thanx for the help i really appreciate it. What i was affraid of was spending all this money on school only to find out later that i cant complete what i aimed for. I think i just need to call the school and get the whole story on how it works.

So you are shooting to be an rd? What is your plan if for some reason you cant get into the internship?
    Definitely call the school, if it's good they'll have RDs working as counselors/teachers and you can set up an appointment to talk to one. It'll give you a really good idea of what you're getting into.

I am shooting for the RD, yes, and my grades last semester were so shtty I doubt I'll get into the internship on the first try. So I'll probably just try to move into a corporate-type job designing and running the wellness program for a local company.

ericd8 is just really nice. (+1000) ericd8 is just really nice. (+1000) ericd8 is just really nice. (+1000) ericd8 is just really nice. (+1000) ericd8 is just really nice. (+1000) ericd8 is just really nice. (+1000) ericd8 is just really nice. (+1000) ericd8 is just really nice. (+1000) ericd8 is just really nice. (+1000) ericd8 is just really nice. (+1000) ericd8 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The question you should be asking yourself is do you enjoy it and will it be worth the time investment in the long run. For example, I'm nearly finished becoming ACE certified, and I'm picking up a dual major, one in Chemical Engineering with a concentration in Biochemical Engineering, and another in Human Biology, all in an attempt to get into the University of Michigan medical school to become an orthopaedic surgeon long run. It's VERY hard, and that may even be an understatement, but in the long run I'll enjoy my career and I'll be "making bank" while I'm at it. So don't ask others how hard it will be, ask yourself if it's really what you want to be doing and if it will pay off in the long run.

2012/11/02 16:28:39 Title JoeAutoTest01's Avatar
    JoeAutoTest01 is not very well liked. (-100) JoeAutoTest01 is not very well liked. (-100) JoeAutoTest01 is not very well liked. (-100) JoeAutoTest01 is not very well liked. (-100) JoeAutoTest01 is not very well liked. (-100) JoeAutoTest01 is not very well liked. (-100) JoeAutoTest01 is not very well liked. (-100) JoeAutoTest01 is not very well liked. (-100) JoeAutoTest01 is not very well liked. (-100) JoeAutoTest01 is not very well liked. (-100) JoeAutoTest01 is not very well liked. (-100)
    This is a test entry for creating a forum post. It was posted by a bodybuilding.com automated test on 2012/06/13 15:39:57
    2012/11/02 16:28:39 New Sig

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes it is difficult, but if it's what you really want to do, it is worth it. I absolutely love job. I own a private practice for weight loss, sports nutrition and personal training.
    Lots of people dropped out of my program because the "kind of" wanted to be a RD. It is definitely not a career pathway that you can just sluff off and get by in.

Originally Posted by foodandfitness View Post
    Yes it is difficult, but if it's what you really want to do, it is worth it. I absolutely love job. I own a private practice for weight loss, sports nutrition and personal training.
    Lots of people dropped out of my program because the "kind of" wanted to be a RD. It is definitely not a career pathway that you can just sluff off and get by in.
    i dont think any decent paying respectable job is. and i cant see myself enjoying any other career path unless its titled badass rockstar with a million groupies.

Nothing_Clever has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This depends on the state. Here in Florida a person is not allowed to call themselves a dietician or nutritionist without being a RD.

Originally Posted by Nothing_Clever View Post
    This depends on the state. Here in Florida a person is not allowed to call themselves a dietician or nutritionist without being a RD.
    Really? The term "nutritionist" is regulated in Florida? I'm curious, do you have a link? What's the difference, officially?