KJohnT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KJohnT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KJohnT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KJohnT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KJohnT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

No More Deadlifts

For the fourth time in about 10 years, I've injured my lower back deadlifting. It wasn't too bad this time, but I'm feeling it right now and am sure I won't be able to walk much for a day or two. I wish I still had some flexeril. It wasn't my heaviest set, but moderately heavy for me.

I'm not sure if my form was off, if my day-to-day posture sitting at a computer has affected it, or what. Anyway, I'm 32 now and I'm not willing to go through this again, so I'm finally hanging my hat regarding heavy deadlifting. I'm in this for the long-term and I need to do what I can to avoid injuries. My decision has been made, and I'm hoping this thread doesn't turn into an argument of the pros/cons of deadlifts.

I want to know how those of you who (hopefully with good physiques) don't deadlift target the applicable muscles, specifically the hamstrings. I'll add weighted extensions and shrugs to my routine and already do heavy row variations. I just don't know how I'm going to make up what I'll be losing in hamstring development. Maybe extra leg presses with my feet set high on the grip? I don't mind squatting and was thinking about adding another squat day, but I'm concerned that my quadriceps will then be too dominant when compared to my hamstrings.

My current routine:
    Lower (DL primary then machine work)
    Upper
    off
    Lower (Squat primary then machine work)
    Upper
    off
    off

Any advice?

edit: I've also been thinking about deadlifting light (no more than 225) and doing higher-rep sets. I already do machine hamstring curls as part of my routine.
    Last edited by KJohnT; 02-28-2016 at 11:33 PM.

chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There are lots of articles out there on hamstrings/glutes, in particular i'd recommend: Glute ham raise, hip thrusts, bosu ball leg curls.
    My band: www.thesunexplodes.com

HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50) HY45 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KJohnT View Post
    For the fourth time in about 10 years, I've injured my lower back deadlifting. It wasn't too bad this time, but I'm feeling it right now and am sure I won't be able to walk much for a day or two. I wish I still had some flexeril. It wasn't my heaviest set, but moderately heavy for me.

I'm not sure if my form was off, if my day-to-day posture sitting at a computer has affected it, or what. Anyway, I'm 32 now and I'm not willing to go through this again, so I'm finally hanging my hat regarding heavy deadlifting. I'm in this for the long-term and I need to do what I can to avoid injuries. My decision has been made, and I'm hoping this thread doesn't turn into an argument of the pros/cons of deadlifts.

I want to know how those of you who (hopefully with good physiques) don't deadlift target the applicable muscles, specifically the hamstrings. I'll add weighted extensions and shrugs to my routine and already do heavy row variations. I just don't know how I'm going to make up what I'll be losing in hamstring development. Maybe extra leg presses with my feet set high on the grip? I don't mind squatting and was thinking about adding another squat day, but I'm concerned that my quadriceps will then be too dominant when compared to my hamstrings.

My current routine:
    Lower (DL primary then machine work)
    Upper
    off
    Lower (Squat primary then machine work)
    Upper
    off
    off

Any advice?

edit: I've also been thinking about deadlifting light (no more than 225) and doing higher-rep sets. I already do machine hamstring curls as part of my routine.
    All varieties of weighted lunges, can't go wrong with this
    It’s all about consistency imho ✌️

mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^ this. Was going to recommend weighted lunges as well.

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Kettlbell swings are great for the posterior chain. Or just do RDLs for sets of 10.
    Last edited by grouchyjarhead; 02-29-2016 at 06:12 AM.