larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Son wants to lift with me

My son, who's 16 told me he wants to get in shape (build muscle and lose weight). He's about 5'9", very broad shoulders and If I had to guess about 180. I figure he needs to drop a good 20 lbs and we'll go from there.

From a diet perspective, I gave him 4 key things to change:
    - no more soda
    - cut down on desserts (I didn't want to take it totally away). I think it would be hard for him to fathom never seeing dessert again
    - slow down eating a meal! He eats his food so fast, his stomach doesn't have time to let his brain know its full
    - cut way down on carbs ( particularly the bad stuff and even moderate the good carbs at the beginning)

For exercise, I plan on having him follow my routine; compound lifts including deadlifts, squats, etc starting with empty bars and adding weight as he progresses. I also plan on having him do 20 min of cardio after each session. He's also a great swimmer so I'm asking his mom to get him over to the pool on days I'm not with him.

Does anyone see any flaws on this strategy? Too much? He's actually a big, very strong kid. I think he's got a great body for lifting and I think he'll see some good results quickly if he keeps at it. Which he really needs to do.

Thanks!
    Last edited by larryinpa; 06-10-2012 at 11:15 AM.
    -Currently on Stronglift 5X5 Program

"The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify what it does is evil" John 7:7

mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    do you have a picture of your son? how often will he be able to lift with you?

larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) larryinpa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No pic. He's overweight. Not crazy overweight, but 20-30 lbs. realistically we can probably lift together 2 x week, unless I radically change my schedule to make it 3x week. Could be tough to do.

"The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify what it does is evil" John 7:7

flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) flairon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I don't think it would hurt and your plan sounds good, but at his age in the next couple years, he's probably going to hit a growth spurt and won't be overweight. I've got a friend right now with a hs age son who's a baseball player. Last year he was still a little chubby, nothing serious, probably 15-20lbs of baby fat. Over the summer he found girls and colleges looking at him for his baseball skills, plus hit a bit of a growth spurt and now he's hardening up pretty good.

Does he play sports? football, wrestle..etc?

mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) mwentworth will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If its only 2X a week I dont him getting very musclar doing. maybe you should get a more cardio based plan with weight lifting instead of vice versa. at 16 I honestly dont think he will have a growth spurt that will make him not overweight and even if it does I dont seem the harm in training him anyway

Originally Posted by flairon View Post
    I don't think it would hurt and your plan sounds good, but at his age in the next couple years, he's probably going to hit a growth spurt and won't be overweight. I've got a friend right now with a hs age son who's a baseball player. Last year he was still a little chubby, nothing serious, probably 15-20lbs of baby fat. Over the summer he found girls and colleges looking at him for his baseball skills, plus hit a bit of a growth spurt and now he's hardening up pretty good.

He used to, but developed ankle problems. Wears custom orthotics now, but still complains of ankle pain. Crazy flat feet, severe pronation. I think lifting will help this by adding strength.
    Does he play sports? football, wrestle..etc?
    He used to, but had ankle problem. Wears orthotics now.

Mod, please to move to over 35 section?

Bump Please. Probably should have posted this in the general category, but would like some input especially those that lift with their kid. How to you keep them motivated and into it?

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My son started working out with me when he was 16. I had him read Alwyn Cosgrove's New Rules of Lifting and he did one of the beginner routines there to start. One nice thing about being a newbie at 16 is that the gains come fast, and that in itself is motivating.

Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Phattso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^^ Why can't I rep the Chick of Chocolateness?

bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    At 16 he can eat pretty much whatever he wants to if he swims and works out twice a week the body changes would be more then enough. I wouldn't go over board with diet unless your teaching him a lifestyle. As for twice a week on weights if you do it right he can grow just need to teach him intensity that will exhaust the muscle group worked. At 16 growth will happen on accident. It's not like us older folks.
    Excuses are like A-holes everyone's got 1...............

PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000) PhantomMaxx is a name known to all. (+5000)
    At 16 I don't think you he will need to be to strict on a clean diet. He should be able to burn off the deserts easier then us, just make sure he has enough protein/carb and in a few years he will out lift you. I can't wait tell my boys are old enough to got to the gym with me.

Originally Posted by bigvin73 View Post
    At 16 he can eat pretty much whatever he wants to if he swims and works out twice a week the body changes would be more then enough. I wouldn't go over board with diet unless your teaching him a lifestyle. As for twice a week on weights if you do it right he can grow just need to teach him intensity that will exhaust the muscle group worked. At 16 growth will happen on accident. It's not like us older folks.
    I'll see how committed he is first before easing up on the diet. Giving up soda is a good lifestyle change, IMO. While I don't have it, diabetes runs in my family and I have been concerned about his sugar intake.

KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I wouldn't be too worried about the routine being too much. Heck, kids that age have two-a-day sessions for football all the time over the summer and that works out just fine for them. At that age, the kid will grow like a weed from merely touching a barbell.

Cutting out sodas will do a world of good when combined with the activities you have outlined. I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about calorie restriction, overall, though. It's not like the kid's skin's got to be paper-thin by end of summer. You're beefing him up, and you can't do that on too few nutritious calories. He's going to be substantially more muscular soon, and that will help regulate body fat.

Good luck. Good times, too. He'll always remember the summer his old man taught him how to get buff.

themaadone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) themaadone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've taken my 18 y.o. stepson to the gym however he found it hard remaining motivated for more than a week - I guess it's not for everyone...
    Train hard, fight easy.

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think the focus here is less is more. That is, less input or dictation from you the better.

Remember, as his father you've had a lot of sway over the years and it's reasonable that at this juncture of his life he may want less of that. The key is encouraging, not exhorting. In other words coaching, not mentoring (they're quite different).

If you demonstrate rather than instruct, there are more chances that you'll inspire rather than discourage. The key is letting him get interested and follow up in the long term, not be the apple off the proverbial tree.
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon

bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Took my 12 year old son with me for the first time yesterday he loved it even listened and followed directions well. Was my chest day so that's what we worked. Gotta say he did really well and is bugging me to go on back day tonight. I'm working so no clue if he is sore or not yet will see when I get home
    Excuses are like A-holes everyone's got 1...............

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My Dad let me do some exercises from his Charles Atlas course when I was 11 or 12.
    It lit a spark that burns to this day. OP, if you and your son do no more than spend
    some quality time together, it is a win/win situation.

flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) flatiron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've been lifting with my almost-14 year old son for 3 months now, using the Starting Strength program. Random thoughts:

- We started off doing body weight exercises, following "Your are your own gym". In hindsight, this was a lucky accident of mine because I think it prepared him well for beginning with weights. All those supermans and swimmers certainly taught him what it feels like to activate the spinal muscles.
    - Started off really well once we got into the barbell excercises, good bonding time. It was important for us to workout together until I felt that both of us hand a good handle on our form.
    - After a while my tendency to critique the finest of details on form, constructively of course, was becoming too much of a good thing. We started working out separately most of the time, but I would still keep an eye on him when I was around (we have garage gym at home).
    - Now that the workouts are heavy, motivation is a problem. I would like him to be on auto-pilot now that he knows what we are doing, but if I don't remind him that today is workout day he somehow "forgets".
    - In many ways, physical and otherwise, he tends to not push himself very hard at all. One of the things I liked about barbells vs bodyweight was the ability to objectively measure his output. But when he complains about this or that being really, really heavy, I have to evaluate whether he's copping out or whether I need to let him unload a little. I remind myself every time that he is only 13.
    - I am wanting to change up the routine now. The SS program keeps you at ~90% intensity with every exercise, every workout. At the age of 42, I don't think I can take much more.
    - I've been looking at "Easy Strength" and "Enter the Kettlebell". I am trying to find a routine that will work well for him. Basically getting him stronger with a better GPP base in way that will seem different and refreshing after several months of Starting Strength.

Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    I think the focus here is less is more. That is, less input or dictation from you the better.

Remember, as his father you've had a lot of sway over the years and it's reasonable that at this juncture of his life he may want less of that. The key is encouraging, not exhorting. In other words coaching, not mentoring (they're quite different).

If you demonstrate rather than instruct, there are more chances that you'll inspire rather than discourage. The key is letting him get interested and follow up in the long term, not be the apple off the proverbial tree.
    I really want him to get into it, going to the gym as a lifestyle. Even if he becomes more interested in other fitness routines. It's all good!