Closed Thread
Page 19 of 88 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 ... LastLast
    Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This log is pure motivation. Lots of great stuff in here manu, just wanted to let you know that I'm subbed in and lurking

All the best bud! Thanks for all of your help so far!

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Huntarious View Post
    Manu how often do you stray from your diet? Im sure its easy for you to stay consistent with macros because you eat the same thing/amount everyday( I know you estimate). I was counting religiously for about a year and a half, but finally gave it up this past month and results have been pretty good. It was taking a toll on me mentally to the point I wasnt enjoying life, and I eat out a lot with friends and family. Is there certain things you try to aim for when eating out? Do you still try to estimate cals etc.?
    Dude at 17/18....ENJOY YOUR LIFE! I mentally count calories and eat what I want - within reason. When eating out I'll just eat what I want to eat...but again with reason - unless Im really hungry I kind of know when Im full. I don't engorge myself and lose self control when eating out. My body knows and I listen to it.

If you're having good results and not having to track everything to a tee then just continue. You're doing it right.

Originally Posted by BabyOilBrah View Post
    Fuking stupidly epic chest blast. Motivation for me to kill chest today. Keep crushin it bro! Mirin the weight used on all exercises.
    Hhaha ! Thx, brah! I gotta get stronger though.

YOu keep bustin ass!

Originally Posted by ErikTheElectric View Post
    This log is pure motivation. Lots of great stuff in here manu, just wanted to let you know that I'm subbed in and lurking

All the best bud! Thanks for all of your help so far!
    All good! Keep your mind right and stay focused. Everyday counts!
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Bro, now that I'm bulking and working towards pushing heavier weight, I read your log every morning before my workout for motivation haha! Keep it up man, you inspire us all!
    Cellucor P6 Black Mini-Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153128861&p=1060719641#post1060719641

Next goal: Strength/Size
    Bench: 150% BW (Achieved!! 10-8-2012)
    Squat: 200% BW (Achieved!! 10-8-2012)
    Deadlift: 250% BW (Work in progress as of 10-8-2012, 168%)

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by pmgiampi View Post
    Bro, now that I'm bulking and working towards pushing heavier weight, I read your log every morning before my workout for motivation haha! Keep it up man, you inspire us all!
    WOW! Man I appreciate that. That means a lot! srs.

KILL THOSE DAMN WEIGHTS. Crime scene every time you train! Keep it up!
    BRAINS & GAINS

alleyezonme3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alleyezonme3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alleyezonme3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alleyezonme3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alleyezonme3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alleyezonme3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alleyezonme3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alleyezonme3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alleyezonme3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alleyezonme3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) alleyezonme3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I read your journals and notice you give good motivational advice not only in training but in life, Im entering my 3rd year in university and some classes I do good and some classes I dont and I just get really upset when I see a grade and I wasnt expecting to see it, sometimes I just get distracted, not sure why either, when studying for tests I try to study my best and then when it comes to the tests I look at the question and I recognize it from studying but I cant remember the answer, its so stupid that my brain can remember the question and what is being asked but cant remember the answer, my mom a typical indian mom tells me to drink my milk and almonds to help my brain lol, do you know any tips to do better in school and just not get sidetracked.

psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) psychodiver9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^have you seen a doctor about possible ADHD?
    PL Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154662503

BTK!

First Meet 8/25/13 281/264/418 963 @198

5/24/14 352.5/286/462.5 1101 @242

Originally Posted by alleyezonme3 View Post
    I read your journals and notice you give good motivational advice not only in training but in life, Im entering my 3rd year in university and some classes I do good and some classes I dont and I just get really upset when I see a grade and I wasnt expecting to see it, sometimes I just get distracted, not sure why either, when studying for tests I try to study my best and then when it comes to the tests I look at the question and I recognize it from studying but I cant remember the answer, its so stupid that my brain can remember the question and what is being asked but cant remember the answer, my mom a typical indian mom tells me to drink my milk and almonds to help my brain lol, do you know any tips to do better in school and just not get sidetracked.
    Hahah! Gotta love moms. Thanks for the words, man!

What helped me the most in undergrad and grad school was that I tried to avoid memorizing. If you can explain a concept in depth and in its entirety to a stranger and they understand it - you know the concept. It tends to stick longer in memory as well - at least for me. Of course, courses like physiology, anatomy, etc..kind of have to memorize but the memorization can all be conceptually linked. Kind of hard to explain with words.

Studying and doing well in school is all about repetition and putting forth a solid effort. The more time you put into it and pay attention to it...the better you will be. Not saying you don't work hard enough...but maybe trying studying just a little bit harder? Become just a little more focused? Always room for improvement

Originally Posted by psychodiver9 View Post
    Could be! Could be many things but I always initially suggest the work harder route. More times than not that tends to take care of it IMHO.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Originally Posted by psychodiver9 View Post
    Actually quoting this again..cause now that I think about it my cousin had ADHD. Nobody knew for the longest time and doubted.

Good call here.
    BRAINS & GAINS

snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by PBateman2 View Post

What helped me the most in undergrad and grad school was that I tried to avoid memorizing. If you can explain a concept in depth and in its entirety to a stranger and they understand it - you know the concept. It tends to stick longer in memory as well - at least for me. Of course, courses like physiology, anatomy, etc..kind of have to memorize but the memorization can all be conceptually linked. Kind of hard to explain with words.
    maybe you don't fully understand it
    AAU World SJ Powerlifting Champion, 2014

Owner/Founder of StrongerYou Personal Training

BTK-no excuses

Originally Posted by snrygo View Post
    maybe you don't fully understand it
    Hahah! Right now I don't understand anything actually..lol....had a looooong day!
    BRAINS & GAINS

PimpedHerOut is a name known to all. (+5000) PimpedHerOut is a name known to all. (+5000) PimpedHerOut is a name known to all. (+5000) PimpedHerOut is a name known to all. (+5000) PimpedHerOut is a name known to all. (+5000) PimpedHerOut is a name known to all. (+5000) PimpedHerOut is a name known to all. (+5000) PimpedHerOut is a name known to all. (+5000) PimpedHerOut is a name known to all. (+5000) PimpedHerOut is a name known to all. (+5000) PimpedHerOut is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Fuarrrkkk this thread is moving at light speed bit like Manu himself. Hey man just wondering if u have ever touched on the topic of what u use/d as motivation and inspiration. Do u have any particular bodybuilders that u have kind of shaped/tailored your development after. I know u mostly just blaze your own path but what about back in the day when u were coming up. Personally I always loved kevin levrone and dennis james. Both strong as anything and had physiques which while freaky were not completely out of this world gigantic if u know what I mean. But mostly I look to your physique to show me what is possible to attain natty with the right combination of genetics, attitude and work ethic.

mrjiggyfly21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrjiggyfly21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrjiggyfly21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrjiggyfly21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrjiggyfly21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrjiggyfly21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrjiggyfly21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrjiggyfly21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrjiggyfly21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrjiggyfly21 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrjiggyfly21 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You're the man, Manu! Your logs always inspire me to push even harder at the gym than I already do. Go out there and straight kill it every day!

eriram is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eriram is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eriram is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eriram is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eriram is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eriram is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eriram is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eriram is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eriram is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eriram is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) eriram is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Being a teacher, I see the word ADHD thrown out too much. I don't know the above individual but the stuff Manu said has merit, memorization is typically superficial and many people tend to forget it when it comes to crunch time, some people don't. Ultimate understanding of the subject is the goal and if you can explain it in simple terms, you get. When I see people, especially adults, throw the word add/adhd, I typically see them have no discipline or they aren't really interested in what is going on. If you put me in a meeting about financial stuff I can garuante you that I'm going to be unfocused as all hell. The book Flow comes to mind here, finding things you like and it's much easier to focus. Makes total sense. I did a lot better in college when I took classes that interested me, the ones I HAD to take were tougher and I actually had to study a bit more.

Also discipline. It takes a lot of discipline to be focused. No, tv, no conversations, no twitter no ********, etc. You get people that say they can multi task but listening to music is probably about as much you can do if you are studying. I never thought that the TV on affected me but I eventually learned it was. My ex used to watch a lot of TV and I would be in the kitchen making my manly meal or reading a book and I would tune the TV out. Later I realized that I knew almost every episode of shows she was watching because they were on while I was doing other things. So do avoid huge time suck things when studying. Block out some time and do what Manu suggested.

If you aren't doing well in the subjects that are ultimately interesting to you and you honestly try to be disciplined and still can't focus then maybe you do have ADD.
    Alan Aragon: http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2009/11/22/wisdom-wisecracks

Layne Norton: I've never added more than 12 lbs of muscle in a year and most years it was closer to 5 or less. But when you maintain that for over 10 years and you don't miss workouts, it's amazing what can happen

DTrulez616 is a name known to all. (+5000) DTrulez616 is a name known to all. (+5000) DTrulez616 is a name known to all. (+5000) DTrulez616 is a name known to all. (+5000) DTrulez616 is a name known to all. (+5000) DTrulez616 is a name known to all. (+5000) DTrulez616 is a name known to all. (+5000) DTrulez616 is a name known to all. (+5000) DTrulez616 is a name known to all. (+5000) DTrulez616 is a name known to all. (+5000) DTrulez616 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Wow I missed a lot. Im finally caught up now. I finally get to view a live Manu journal rather than having to read in the past. IN!
    Instagram: instagram.com/zackfeeney
    Snapchat: DTrulez616

kratosbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) kratosbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) kratosbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) kratosbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) kratosbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) kratosbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) kratosbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) kratosbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) kratosbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) kratosbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) kratosbrah is a name known to all. (+5000)

Studying and doing well in school is all about repetition and putting forth a solid effort. The more time you put into it and pay attention to it...the better you will be. Not saying you don't work hard enough...but maybe trying studying just a little bit harder? Become just a little more focused? Always room for improvement

Could be! Could be many things but I always initially suggest the work harder route. More times than not that tends to take care of it IMHO.

Or.... Like the rest of us....

get on dat dere ******** boiiiiiiii

nah just kidding don't do that pbs advice is good

I somewhat had the same problem, distracted very easily. For me, what pb wrote out was on the dot. I was slacking, tried to just memorize&regurgitate instead of truly understand and grasp.

@Eriram, On the money. I notice a stark difference when I study in a completely isolated/quiet area, compared to a place where my computer is on, tv is on, people are talking, even if a fan is on. I personally need to be completely isolated and in a 100% quiet area to really study effectively.
    Last edited by kratosbrah; 06-25-2012 at 09:49 PM.

bboytommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bboytommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bboytommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bboytommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bboytommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bboytommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bboytommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bboytommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bboytommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey manu great log here!

quick q for you n others. whats your take on having a longer negative movement of the weights?
    here to read, learn, & grow.

if it fits you mentally - then do iifym

Originally Posted by PimpedHerOut View Post
    Fuarrrkkk this thread is moving at light speed bit like Manu himself. Hey man just wondering if u have ever touched on the topic of what u use/d as motivation and inspiration. Do u have any particular bodybuilders that u have kind of shaped/tailored your development after. I know u mostly just blaze your own path but what about back in the day when u were coming up. Personally I always loved kevin levrone and dennis james. Both strong as anything and had physiques which while freaky were not completely out of this world gigantic if u know what I mean. But mostly I look to your physique to show me what is possible to attain natty with the right combination of genetics, attitude and work ethic.
    Thx, bro!

I really like the era of 70s bodybuilding and its what Ive always tried to emulate. I admire Sergio Oliva's physique a great deal. It exudes power, mass, symmetry, definition, etc.. that is pretty much complete in my eyes. Had a ridiculous back and set of gunz/forearms.

In terms of motivation, I dont need much. Training for me is a true luxury. It's a privilege.

Im the luckiest bastard on this planet! Really! Can you believe I can eat whenever I want? I can drink as much water as I want. I dont have to sleep on cement. Im not physically or mentally handicapped. What's left? Excuses. People like excuses. ANy excuse. I have no reason not to train. I am very lucky.

When 2:30am hits...I have two chocies. Keep sleeping or get my ass out of bed and go train. Im gonna train....Every. Single. Time.

Hope this helps!

Keep up the sick ass work, bro!

Originally Posted by mrjiggyfly21 View Post
    You're the man, Manu! Your logs always inspire me to push even harder at the gym than I already do. Go out there and straight kill it every day!
    Thx, man! I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by eriram View Post
    Being a teacher, I see the word ADHD thrown out too much. I don't know the above individual but the stuff Manu said has merit, memorization is typically superficial and many people tend to forget it when it comes to crunch time, some people don't. Ultimate understanding of the subject is the goal and if you can explain it in simple terms, you get. When I see people, especially adults, throw the word add/adhd, I typically see them have no discipline or they aren't really interested in what is going on. If you put me in a meeting about financial stuff I can garuante you that I'm going to be unfocused as all hell. The book Flow comes to mind here, finding things you like and it's much easier to focus. Makes total sense. I did a lot better in college when I took classes that interested me, the ones I HAD to take were tougher and I actually had to study a bit more.

Also discipline. It takes a lot of discipline to be focused. No, tv, no conversations, no twitter no ********, etc. You get people that say they can multi task but listening to music is probably about as much you can do if you are studying. I never thought that the TV on affected me but I eventually learned it was. My ex used to watch a lot of TV and I would be in the kitchen making my manly meal or reading a book and I would tune the TV out. Later I realized that I knew almost every episode of shows she was watching because they were on while I was doing other things. So do avoid huge time suck things when studying. Block out some time and do what Manu suggested.

If you aren't doing well in the subjects that are ultimately interesting to you and you honestly try to be disciplined and still can't focus then maybe you do have ADD.
    Great post! Repped! You all rep this man! Well said.

Originally Posted by DTrulez616 View Post
    Wow I missed a lot. Im finally caught up now. I finally get to view a live Manu journal rather than having to read in the past. IN!
    Ha! You get to witness live....no more reruns...lol.

Glad ot have ya, bro! Keep working hard!

Originally Posted by kratosbrah View Post
    Or.... Like the rest of us....

get on dat dere ******** boiiiiiiii

nah just kidding don't do that pbs advice is good

I somewhat had the same problem, distracted very easily. For me, what pb wrote out was on the dot. I was slacking, tried to just memorize®urgitate instead of truly understand and grasp.

@Eriram, On the money. I notice a stark difference when I study in a completely isolated/quiet area, compared to a place where my computer is on, tv is on, people are talking, even if a fan is on. I personally need to be completely isolated and in a 100% quiet area to really study effectively.
    Good post!

Originally Posted by bboytommy View Post
    hey manu great log here!

quick q for you n others. whats your take on having a longer negative movement of the weights?
    Thx!

Maybe for some isolation type exercises I may use a longer negative. It has its advantages.

In general though......I see heavy weight...and Im gonna lift the shyt out of it. It's gonna get fukin destroyed.

End of story

Training post and vid later today....It's ONNN!
    BRAINS & GAINS

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Actually you do have that "70s big" look Manu. I can see that you tailor what you do quite a bit after the guys of that era. I dig the physiques of that time also though.

Originally Posted by JasonDB View Post
    Actually you do have that "70s big" look Manu. I can see that you tailor what you do quite a bit after the guys of that era. I dig the physiques of that time also though.
    Thanks, J and likewise!

Yeah that era is true physique development IMO.
    BRAINS & GAINS

JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks, J and likewise!

Yeah that era is true physique development IMO.
    Did you catch my training montage from today? Apparently I look a lot leaner according to a dozen peeps. Lighting and pump create nice illusions. :P

We will never get that era back sadly.

snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) snrygo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You always do your training posts on my off days :'(

Also, wish that 70s era bbing would come back but that will never happen since people just want o see how big people can possibly get now no matter how much yech they use to get there.

BTK-no excuses

nocompromise is on a distinguished road. (+10) nocompromise is on a distinguished road. (+10) nocompromise is on a distinguished road. (+10) nocompromise is on a distinguished road. (+10) nocompromise is on a distinguished road. (+10) nocompromise is on a distinguished road. (+10) nocompromise is on a distinguished road. (+10) nocompromise is on a distinguished road. (+10) nocompromise is on a distinguished road. (+10) nocompromise is on a distinguished road. (+10) nocompromise is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Awesome workouts as always Manu!!

My favorite part of your logs is actually the Q&A. That's where I've learned the most. Thanks for taking the time to respond to everyone (despite the occasional repetitive inquiry). Here's one I don't remember you addressing specifically: Is (non-newb) recomping possible? I am shooting for an ultra-lean (i.e. slow and controlled; ~1lb/month) bulk, but it is looking more like a recomp. My weight has stayed constant over the last few months, but lifts have increased and (I think) the mirror has shown improvements. A month or so ago I tried increasing calories slightly since my weight was stagnant, but I started looking a bit too soft. I don't mind so much in the winter, but it's not acceptable for me in the summer. I should start taking progress photos to know for sure, but I wanted to get your take on whether it's even possible. Thanks!!

Great advice given here about studying. alleyezonme - it sounds like some of the material isn't sinking in quite enough. You may need a few more reps over and above what you're doing now. Also, either self-quiz or get someone else to quiz you. That will confirm your ability to recall the material.

Understanding the concept fully is obviously ideal, but sometimes time constraints preclude that level of mastery. I've found it very helpful to focus on a few key words or phrases for each concept. If you can really burn them in, then during the test you'll be able to recall them. The sub-concepts may not come to mind immediately, but after you successfully recall the key words/phrases you will be able to fill in the details. This also works great for public speaking. Don't try to memorize a script - just know your key points and be articulate enough to expound on them.

I've found myself to be much more of a sprinter than a marathoner when it comes to studying. Some people seem to do well with long, steady (leisurely?) study sessions. I find myself losing focus and the result is kind of like reading a page and finding you don't remember what you just read. I've been much more successful with fewer, brief, but intense sessions. Give yourself a rough time limit (~50 min on/10 min breaks or something) and try to instill a real sense of urgency, awareness, and focus.

To me, the teacher makes a far bigger difference than the subject. A good teacher can make a dreary subject completely fascinating, and vice versa.
    “One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action, and filled with noble risks, is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honour or observation.” -Sir Walter Scott, Ivanhoe

Did you catch my training montage from today? Apparently I look a lot leaner according to a dozen peeps. Lighting and pump create nice illusions. :P

We will never get that era back sadly.
    Gonna check it out now! Results are results

Originally Posted by snrygo View Post
    You always do your training posts on my off days :'(

Also, wish that 70s era bbing would come back but that will never happen since people just want o see how big people can possibly get now no matter how much yech they use to get there.

Hahah! Just the check the log tomorrow

Yeah the "art" of physique development has been lost.

Originally Posted by nocompromise View Post
    Awesome workouts as always Manu!!

My favorite part of your logs is actually the Q&A. That's where I've learned the most. Thanks for taking the time to respond to everyone (despite the occasional repetitive inquiry). Here's one I don't remember you addressing specifically: Is (non-newb) recomping possible? I am shooting for an ultra-lean (i.e. slow and controlled; ~1lb/month) bulk, but it is looking more like a recomp. My weight has stayed constant over the last few months, but lifts have increased and (I think) the mirror has shown improvements. A month or so ago I tried increasing calories slightly since my weight was stagnant, but I started looking a bit too soft. I don't mind so much in the winter, but it's not acceptable for me in the summer. I should start taking progress photos to know for sure, but I wanted to get your take on whether it's even possible. Thanks!!

Great advice given here about studying. alleyezonme - it sounds like some of the material isn't sinking in quite enough. You may need a few more reps over and above what you're doing now. Also, either self-quiz or get someone else to quiz you. That will confirm your ability to recall the material.

Understanding the concept fully is obviously ideal, but sometimes time constraints preclude that level of mastery. I've found it very helpful to focus on a few key words or phrases for each concept. If you can really burn them in, then during the test you'll be able to recall them. The sub-concepts may not come to mind immediately, but after you successfully recall the key words/phrases you will be able to fill in the details. This also works great for public speaking. Don't try to memorize a script - just know your key points and be articulate enough to expound on them.

I've found myself to be much more of a sprinter than a marathoner when it comes to studying. Some people seem to do well with long, steady (leisurely?) study sessions. I find myself losing focus and the result is kind of like reading a page and finding you don't remember what you just read. I've been much more successful with fewer, brief, but intense sessions. Give yourself a rough time limit (~50 min on/10 min breaks or something) and try to instill a real sense of urgency, awareness, and focus.

To me, the teacher makes a far bigger difference than the subject. A good teacher can make a dreary subject completely fascinating, and vice versa.
    Great post!

Non-noob recomping? Only if coming off a layoff. Better off to pick perhaps a small to moderate surplus, work very hard in the gym, and see how your physique progresses - if bulking. Lots of factors to consider - genetics, hormones, age, training experience, training protocol/intensity, etc.. Not a clear cut answer.
    BRAINS & GAINS

abcdefg94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) abcdefg94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) abcdefg94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) abcdefg94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) abcdefg94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) abcdefg94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) abcdefg94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) abcdefg94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) abcdefg94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) abcdefg94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) abcdefg94 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    70s era > modern day bb, nowadays it's just about rediculous size

Originally Posted by abcdefg94 View Post
    70s era > modern day bb, nowadays it's just about rediculous size
    True dat!
    BRAINS & GAINS

"TRY? I DONT TRY. I NEVER TRY AT ANYTHING.

I JUST FUKING DO IT.

PERIOD.
    " - Me

Up at 2:45am. Little later today...

Still..........Manu O'Clock. Sleeeeeeep when I die.

Quadz......Calves.........Triceps.....ONNNNNNNNNNN NNNNN!........

Downed the Folgers (4.0256 gulps) and out the door.

No car ride to gym today. Rode the bike. Seven miles and Im at the gym around 3:45am.

HELL RAISER....

QUADS

1.) HACK SQUATS - PRRRRRRRRRRRRR! I did 450bs (4 plates and change on each side) /FOUR sets/ and 7-9 reps for these. Tense and squeeeeeeeeeeeze those quads at the top of the movement! Braaaaang it!!!

ATG. Deeeeeeeeeeeeeep ASS squats.

2.) LEG PRESS - Did FOUR sets of 12-14 reps using 720lbs. Full contraction here. No half ass...3inch....reps!!!!!!!!!!! Increase in reps.

3.) LUNGES (Barbell) - PRRR! I did 4 sets of 12-13 reps with 145 lbs. Biiiig strides! Increase in reps.

4.) FRONT SQUATS - FOURTH EXERCISE. NOTED. Used a BB and 295lbs. Did 3 sets and 8-10 reps. I got video of the third set but the camera fell to the ground after the second rep! LOL. Not a great place to video for this exercise. It's one of the few exercises I dont have on video so next time will just get someone to hold the camers.

Again. Deeeeeeeeeeeeep. Ass. Squats. Dont get it twisted. Increase in reps here too!

5.) LEG EXTENSIONS- MFB-8 - YA KNOW IT! Huh...huh....huh..... So 7 sets/10 reps/150lbs with 30sec rest between sets. Crazy burn at this point. THEN..

Increased weight to 180lbs and hammered out another 7 reps. Increased the reps here

NOTE: I hold the contracted position for a count of two on these. Seven sets then increasing the weight on the 8th set - all the while following the two second hold. Try it...

Dont try this. PAIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!

I love pain though. I live for it. KILL. MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. SUFFER.

You know what's next.............now we really train, eh?

RUTHLESS SHYT...............SIXTH EXERCISE.....after 27 sets for quads...Who next??

End up in the emergeny room.....

6.) CONVENTIONAL DEADLIFTS - SIXTH. DAMN. EXERCISE. So normally I do around 505lbs for this exercise and 2 sets. Usually get between 3-5 reps.

Now experts, research, little sheep, doubters, little mice, etc...I got something for ya. Im gonna do double digit reps for DLs for the next two months.

"That's just not optimal"....LOL. I bet my back and overall physique improves due to the change in stimulus. Especially my back. Let's see. Will document with pics.

So I decided to start this week at 455lbs for DLs. First set got 10 reps. Second set got 9 reps. Third set got 7 reps.

Moneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey.

Please do your DLs and squats when you're all nice and fresh and look all pretty. First exercise or whatever. Definitely not sixth exercise - again just not optimal...LOL. WHatever these experts say...LOL...experts. Boy I love me some experts!!!! YOU KNOW I DOOOOOOOOO!!!!! MUWAAAAAH! Hahahah!

BAAAAAAAAAM! DONE. Done? Wait? Wuuuuuuuuuut????

CALVES

7.) SEATED CALF RAISES - 135lbs. Five sets and 25 reps/set.

8.) STANDING DONKEY RAISES - 220lbs. Five sets and 25 reps/set.

NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.....We go home!.....

Wut?

SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

TRICEPS

9.)TRICEP PRESSDOWN - 4 sets/160lbs/8-10 reps. Hold the contracted position for 2 seconds before beginning the negative portion of the rep. Elbows parallel to the ground!

10.)DUMBELL OVERHEAD EXTENSION (STANDING)- PRRR! 120lb DB. 4 sets. 7-9 reps. Good exercise. Like to really stretch at the bottom!!!!!!!!!

11.) DIPS - Slowly progressing on these. Did these with weight (90lbs) . 4 sets/7-9 reps. Love this exercise.

12.)CGBP -

This is what I said in last week's post:

"Working off last week's PR of 295lbs. Did 3 sets and reps ranged from 5-7 reps. Next week Im gonna do 305 CGBP. Will video. I will nail the lift. Just watch."

SO you what Im gonna do.....305lb on CGBP...gonna work off your bench......first set was haaaaaard! No lie! Got 4 reps.

Second set right here......

BOOOOOM! I had nothing left though...lol. I didnt try a third set as I knew after the first set I was running out of gas here.

Nailed it though for two sets. All I care. A 315lb CGBP will be mine prior to end of July. I will nail it too for all 3 working sets. Guaranteed.

Ceaseless attack....

I aint done. Your done. Please go home and move on.

Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut????????

13.)Rope pressdowns - MFB-8...ON NOOOOOOOEZ HE DIDNT!. So seven sets, 100lbs, 30 sec rest/set, 9-10 reps/set, and triceps were FRIED.

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN! I love pain so.....

Increased weight to 120lbs and got another 6 reps!!!!!!!

DOOOOONE!

I constantly deadlift.......Any questions?....

Didn't think so.

GAME OVER.

Murda of a session. I am spent right now. Calories are low (at least for me)...only gonna have 2500 cals today.

KEEP TRAINING HARD!
    BRAINS & GAINS

Deadlifting after squating is perfectly fine... I would not recommend it after other back work. I set my current DL max after doing 3x3 ME squats. At powerlifting meets you do max squat and bench before pulls. So I see no issues at all with your placement of it. ;-)

In for that front squat vid even if it is a partial set.

Your 315 CGBP will come faster if you get tighter on your setup and set your heels in hard. You have more strength in the tank on those right now (which is pretty damned impressive btw) if you get tighter.

Brutal session!

AmishSid is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmishSid is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmishSid is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmishSid is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmishSid is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmishSid is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmishSid is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmishSid is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmishSid is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmishSid is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmishSid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Fuark at that close grip! Do your wrists ever hurt doing that exercise?

Best back on this site. Looking huge!
    "I'll take my 16 hour fast and simply crush your ass in the gym. Believe it."- PBateman2's response to NPC level bodybuilder who claimed importance of meal timing, nutrient timing, and post-workout 30 min anabolic window!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133342083&page=3

Bleed Time Krew. For Life.

Many doesn't just train for growth stimulus, he trains for ANNHILATION!

Ever tried these for triceps? Destroys me haha.
    http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...ceps_extension

BTK-no excuses

Deadlifting after squating is perfectly fine... I would not recommend it after other back work. I set my current DL max after doing 3x3 ME squats. At powerlifting meets you do max squat and bench before pulls. So I see no issues at all with your placement of it. ;-)

In for that front squat vid even if it is a partial set.

Your 315 CGBP will come faster if you get tighter on your setup and set your heels in hard. You have more strength in the tank on those right now (which is pretty damned impressive btw) if you get tighter.

Brutal session!

Thanks, J! I LOVE doing DLs after 25+ sets of quads..no better feeling

Noted! My first set on CGBP was so much better. I'll get it down next week for sure!

Originally Posted by AmishSid View Post
    Fuark at that close grip! Do your wrists ever hurt doing that exercise?

Best back on this site. Looking huge!
    Thx,bro! Nah my wrists never really hurt.

Nah I dont have the best back. Not even close. It needs so much improving and thats what I work to do.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Closed Thread