mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How many days a week should I be doing hitting body parts on a routine like this

background: 34 years old, lifted on and off since a teenager for various sports and overall health. current goal is to lose weight (packed on some pounds over the years) and get in shape for ice hockey. haven't played in years and am starting a league soon. not going to be able to get in shape before, it'll be a combo of lifting and playing in this initial league to get back in shape. Also going to try HIIT once or twice a week. I don't really want to put on additional muscle, but retain and reshape what is under the fat.

I started lifting about two months ago and did starting strength. I saw decent gains, but it was tough to dedicate 3 NON-consecutive days a week. 4 days on consecutive/non-consecutive days is much easier with my schedule. For the past two weeks I've been doing a chest/tri, back/bi, leg/shoulder split. My questions is that with a routine like that should I be try to do each workout twice within a 7 day period or is each workout once in a 7 day period good enough? I've been trying to do a light/heavy day. Exception is compound. they are always heavier. this is what I've been doing. Should I keep it or scale back to each workout once a week? I could do light one week, heavy the next. I typically vary the weight between sets to make sure I reach the number or reps. I've seen progress recently by either adding weight or adding reps to a certain weight. usually go within one rep or so of failure, but never to complete failure:

First time through is the light day.

exercise sets x reps

Monday
    ======
    chest, tri
    ----------
    dumbell bench press 4 x 8-12
    incline dumbell 4 x 8-12
    chest isolation 3 x 8-12
    weight assistance dips 3 x 8-12
    tricep extension 3 x 8-12

Tuesday
    ======
    back, bi, abs
    ------------
    weight assisted pull ups 4 x 8-12
    front pull downs 3 x 8-12
    pendlay row 3 x 6-8
    bar curls 2 x 8-12
    dumbell curl 2 x 8-12
    GHR 3 x 12-15
    abs 3 x 12-15

Wednesday - Rest

Thursday
    =======
    leg, shoulder
    -------------
    squat 4 x 5-8
    deadlift 2-3 x 5-8
    dumbell shoulder press 4 x 8-12
    lateral raise 3 x 8-12

Friday-Rest

Saturday
    =======
    chest, tri
    ----------
    Bench press 4 x 6-8
    incline dumbell press 4 x 6-8
    dips 3 x 6-8
    chest isolation 3 x 8-12
    tricep ext 3 x 8-12

Sunday
    ======
    back, bi
    --------
    Pull up 4 x 6-8
    pull down 3 x 6-8
    pendlay row 3 x 6-8
    barbell curls 2-3 x 8-12
    dumbell curl 2-3 x 8-12
    GHR 3 x 12-15
    abs 3 x 12-15

Monday - rest

Tuesday
    ======
    leg, shoulder
    -------------
    Squat 4 x 5-8
    Deadlift 2-3 x 5-8
    dumbell or standing press 4 x 6-8
    lateral or rear shoulder work 3 x 8-12

and so on and so on

mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mjpisat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nothing?

Lbofbb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If your main goal is to lose weight then you absolutely need intense cardio in your workout. Nutrition plays a huge role along with cardio. The weight lifting will keep you strong and tone. Keep the number of reps higher; 12 to 15 is a good goal. Your routine seems ok, just keep the reps higher. Have you ever considered some sort of cross fit training? Your going to want something that keeps the calories burning and although lifting weights does that, it doesn't nearly as much as high intensity exercises.

pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) pmgiampi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    To be honest, your training isn't going to dictate your fat loss goal; nutrition is. You can train in any manner that fits YOUR schedule. For successful fat loss while maintaining strength, you want to eat at a deficit of your maintenance calories (stickies in Nutrition section will help you calculate a base). From there, you need to calculate your required macros and meet them daily, while fulfilling your required deficit.
    Cellucor P6 Black Mini-Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153128861&p=1060719641#post1060719641

Next goal: Strength/Size
    Bench: 150% BW (Achieved!! 10-8-2012)
    Squat: 200% BW (Achieved!! 10-8-2012)
    Deadlift: 250% BW (Work in progress as of 10-8-2012, 168%)

Originally Posted by pmgiampi View Post
    To be honest, your training isn't going to dictate your fat loss goal; nutrition is. You can train in any manner that fits YOUR schedule. For successful fat loss while maintaining strength, you want to eat at a deficit of your maintenance calories (stickies in Nutrition section will help you calculate a base). From there, you need to calculate your required macros and meet them daily, while fulfilling your required deficit.
    I understand about adding cardio and the nutrition plan. I'm on a calorie deficit to lose 1.5 lbs per week. I'm down 10 so far since mid april. Along with the lifting I'm playing ice hockey (game) once a week, skate, do stick and shoot etc. I'm on the ice about 2-3 times per week and if I'm only on 2 I do one day of HIIT. So lifting about 4 days a week, some sort of cardio activity 3 days a week plus eating right.

The point of me working in the lifting is to not look like crap once the weight comes off, avoid injury with hockey, try to keep muscle once i lose weight for bumps and bruises with hockey, general health. I'm not trying to get big. Just maintain what is there and shape it up. So, back to original question. Should I lift like this and hit each body part twice a week or should one be good? Right now I go anywhere from 4-6 days between hitting body parts. Saturday I did chest and tri. I won't hit it again until this Friday.

Thanks