knights73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

High School to Division 1 Football

I am going to be a sophmore next year and i am gonna start varsity at TE and DE. I am 6'0 209 and not alot of it is fat. I run a 5.1 40(not very accurate) and max bench and squat at 235 and 330. I am trying to get faster. My dream is to play college football at the division 1 level, does anyone have any advice on how i can make it there, especially guys who play or played D1 ball. Thanks.

polarbear1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) polarbear1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) polarbear1980 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by knights73 View Post
    I am going to be a sophmore next year and i am gonna start varsity at TE and DE. I am 6'0 209 and not alot of it is fat. I run a 5.1 40(not very accurate) and max bench and squat at 235 and 330. I am trying to get faster. My dream is to play college football at the division 1 level, does anyone have any advice on how i can make it there, especially guys who play or played D1 ball. Thanks.
    Work on Improving your speed and agility. 5.0 on a 40 needs to be 4.5-4.8.

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Your 40 is just fine right now. You are only a soph. So for your age its actually pretty good. Especially at 210lbs. Over time, it will get better. A part of it is just your body maturing and being able to reach higher levels. Of course a lot of it is you busting your butt and doing the proper workouts.

You are at a good size too. At 210, you dont need to worry about bulking or putting on weight. You need to implement the proper football training program where you work on strength and speed. Muscle mass and lowering of bf% will improve over time if you implement the right program. So dont just go into the gym with the mindset that you need to get bigger. That will probably hurt your sport performance.

Also, the offseason is extremely important. Luckily, you have 2 full off seasons after this upcoming season. You still have a little off season left right now but not enough to full implement a training program. So, you have time to research and see what is right for you. As for things you can do right now is work on your footwork and technique Both for route running and run/pass blocking. Technique and footwork is what college coaches pay most of the attention to. Those things are extremely important. More important than how many touchdowns you score and passes you catch.

But just some advice. Enjoy high school. Try to become a better high school player. You arent in college yet, so you dont need to be trying to comparing your performance levels to college players. With hard work and determination, you will get better.

Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Being fast and agile is all that matters.

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Pakman52 View Post
    Being fast and agile is all that matters.
    wrong

GSUPanther has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your weight is good for now, but depending on if you want to play DE in college you will need to be around 230-240. Work on getting stronger and faster. Try to get your 40 time to a 4.8. As long as you play smart, stay strong and in shape, and keep your weight good you should be fine.

blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by GSUPanther View Post
    Your weight is good for now, but depending on if you want to play DE in college you will need to be around 230-240. Work on getting stronger and faster. Try to get your 40 time to a 4.8. As long as you play smart, stay strong and in shape, and keep your weight good you should be fine.
    You want to be faster than a 4.8 if you weigh 230-240 and play DE. But ideally you want to be heavier than that when playing DE or you will probably get tossed around by an OT. That being said you will probably put on at least another 20 lbs. without trying. The main thing is keeping your nose to the grind stone and working hard. I use to be under the impression that coming to summer workouts and trying hard was enough. I WAS WRONG. It takes hard work. You can get there if you try hard enough but be dedicated. Also I feel compelled to say stay away from the roids good nutrition and hard work will get you there.
    "Hey ladies, hey gentlemen, hey everybody...One more time for the Greatest Team in America!!!!"- ERK RUSSELL
    I rep back.
    Got negged twice in one day for believing in God. Guess what? I still believe in God.
    >>>>>Florida State Seminoles Tomahawk Nation Crew>>>>>
    CSCS by the NSCA

You got to understand that most recruits come in underweight. They redshirt and spend a year as a back up. By the time they get into the position to compete for more playing time, their weight is up from the 2 years of working out.

so going in at 230 at DE is actually pretty high and damn good. Because 2 years later as a soph, your weight will be up at least 20lb.

A lot of these high school kids think that you need these numbers from day 1. You dont. Most kids come in undersized. The body you have as a freshman in college, wont be the body you have when you are a jr/sr.

College Coaches recruit more so on what you can become rather than what you can do now.

Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pakman52 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    wrong
    You're right. You need to be 6ft4in too.

Originally Posted by Pakman52 View Post
    You're right. You need to be 6ft4in too.
    haha good luck.

hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hammer92 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Market yourself smart brother! Or hopefully you have a coach that is good with that. It helps when past players have come through the program going to bigger D1 schools so the coach has those connections.

My school has produced a few NFLers and NCAA all american's and that def helped younger kids...
    jus' sayin

JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You got to understand that most recruits come in underweight. They redshirt and spend a year as a back up. By the time they get into the position to compete for more playing time, their weight is up from the 2 years of working out.

so going in at 230 at DE is actually pretty high and damn good. Because 2 years later as a soph, your weight will be up at least 20lb.

A lot of these high school kids think that you need these numbers from day 1. You dont. Most kids come in undersized. The body you have as a freshman in college, wont be the body you have when you are a jr/sr.

College Coaches recruit more so on what you can become rather than what you can do now.
    Speed and Skill are one of the most important aspects, you could bench 355 and if you can't turn that 355 onto the field...., you could be huge, you may look good but you will be on the sidelines. I agree you your statement.
    never quit

Originally Posted by JimboSlice123 View Post
    Speed and Skill are one of the most important aspects, you could bench 355 and if you can't turn that 355 onto the field...., you could be huge, you may look good but you will be on the sidelines. I agree you your statement.
    You are correct. Speed is ONE of the most important things. Not THE most important thing.

"skill" is a very generalized word. I never said that skills weren't important. Skills can describe speed, agility, strength, technique, endurance, vert, intelligence, ability to read the defense/offense, etc. So ofcourse "skills" are important.

And I agree that speed an technique beats strength. I've always been saying that. Size doesn't mean much, and can easily be beat.

E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by knights73 View Post
    i would focus on your squat tbh

power comes from your legs

dont worry about speed so much(it is important but itll come with time)

and work on your skills like blocking, catching, block shedding, pass rushing etc

combine that with a solid highlight tape and youll be in

JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JimboSlice123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You are correct. Speed is ONE of the most important things. Not THE most important thing.

"skill" is a very generalized word. I never said that skills weren't important. Skills can describe speed, agility, strength, technique, endurance, vert, intelligence, ability to read the defense/offense, etc. So ofcourse "skills" are important.

And I agree that speed an technique beats strength. I've always been saying that. Size doesn't mean much, and can easily be beat.
    true, hard work beats talent.
    never quit