Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000)

How to add 200 lbs to your squat: a step by step guide.

In this thread I will break down, step by step, how to double your squat and more in the most efficient manner possible. While your results won't be identical to what mine have been, if you follow this written process, I guaran-damn-tee that your strength will improve tremendously at a rapid pace. This is, in my opinion, the quickest path from novice to intermediate to advanced. Prepare to do some reading and watch a few videos. It will be worth it.

Intro
    Let me start off by saying I am not that strong. Stronger than most maybe, but in the grand scheme of things and compared to where I want to be, I am weak. At this point in time I don't know how to get to a 800 lb squat or a 700 lb deadlift. What I do know, however, is how to progress a novice/intermediate quickly and efficiently while keeping them safe. In April of this year, I was squatting 190 lbs for my working sets and benching 140 lbs. I am now squatting over 500 and benching well over 300 lbs.

Eating/Sleeping
    I'm not going to sit here and pretend to know what I'm talking about when it comes to food. Aside from a single semester university course on human nutrition, I am no expert. If you want to gain weight, eat in a 10% caloric surplus and vice versa for losing weight. Eat 0.8-1g of protein per lb/bw if gaining weight and 1-1.5g per lb/bw if losing weight. For carbs/fats, find what works for you. Carb loading the night before or morning before training is usually a good idea. A sports drink during training doesn't hurt either.

As far as sleep goes, this is completely individual. I know from experience that I need 7 hours a night to recover and train adequately. Any less than this and weights feel heavier and I am groggy. Some people need 6 hours a night, some need 10. However much you need, get that amount.

Supplements
    They're all bull****. If you really struggle to eat enough protein, buy cheap whey in bulk from a reputable producer and distributor. Multivitamins, pre workouts, BCAAs, creatine, test boosters, etc are all great at wasting your hard earned cash. If you want, buy some caffeine pills at your local pharmacy to take pre-workout.

The Novice Stage (Squatting <300)

Time: 6 months

Before you even put a bar on your back, you need to make sure you are injury free, flexible enough to perform basic movements, and overall healthy. If you have a clean bill of health and are mobile, it's time to learn proper form. Taking a few weeks to learn the proper mechanics of basic exercises will save you a lifetime of injuries and let you find untapped strength and leverages.Getting yourself on film and comparing it to videos like these is one of the best ways you can learn:

Now for a routine. There is not a lot of room for debate here. If you want to go do a P/P/L split or some other crap, go do it. Don't post here complaining about exercise selection or asking if you can add in things like incline bench or leg extensions. This is what I believe will get you results the fastest. As a novice, AKA anyone who cannot squat 3 plates, bench 2, and deadlift 4, BLSS is the most well rounded routine for getting those numbers to the intermediate standard.

Use 85% of your 1 rep max for the 3x5 sets and add 5 lbs to your compounds each session.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=135564721

The routine is solid, but if you prefer, here is my own slight modification:

The two days:
    A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Rows 3x5 SUPER STRICT.
    Optional: Cable rows, 3x8 bicep work, 3x8 rear delt flyes, do this at your own discretion. If you don't feel like it, don't worry

B
    Squat 3x5
    Deadlifts 1x5
    MP 3x5
    Chins 15-20 total reps
    Optional: 15-20 reps of dips, 3x8 tricep work

Before anyone goes on a rant about how you will develop muscular imbalances or that there is not enough accessory work, hear me out. The average novice lifter is going to have imbalances to begin with. I want novices to simply perform basic exercises effectively and progress in them. You cannot look in the mirror after lifting for a few months and say to yourself, "I have a really weak upper chest." You are not developed enough to see those weaknesses. Additionally, there is evidence suggesting novices do not benefit from extra accessory work: http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/...76#.VJpUkV4APC

Note: I feel the need to emphasize the fact that you should train as often as you feel like doing so. If you can get in the gym 6 days a week and add 5 lbs a session without feeling fatigued or run down, by all means go for it. Safety first, but do not hold yourself back. There is a certain satisfaction you get from squatting heavy multiple days in a row.

The Intermediate Stage (Squatting >300 but <400)

Time: 3-5 months

So by this point you can squat 3 plates. Time for a change of pace. If you haven't deloaded recently (in the last 8 weeks), I suggest you do so now. Most people can't handle the volume and intensity a novice routine brings when working with the weight you should be moving by now. Solution? Madcow. The sets are ramped so I highly suggest downloading the spreadsheet to use and follow.

http://stronglifts.com/madcow-5x5-training-programs/

I highly recommend doing beltless pause squats on Wednesdays while following Madcow. If you feel that certain muscle groups are lagging at the start of Madcow, feel free to throw in accessory work as needed after your main lifts on friday. This can include dips, chinups, curls, skull crushers, close grip bench, and lateral raises.

The weights you use on accessory work is at your own discretion. Try to progress on it every session just like your main lifts. If you can't, don't worry about it, that's why its called accessory work.

I suggest running Madcow between 12 and 20 weeks.

Advanced (Squatting 400+)
    Now you are at a stage where you are capable of auto-regulating, so feel free to do so. If that means disregarding this thread, go for it. However, if you want to stay the path that brought you this far, by all means stay on it. Time for the Texas Method. This is by far my favorite routine I have ever run. It is simple, effective, wholesome, and has room for personalization. As always, please download a spreadsheet to follow.

http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/texas-method/

After reading Practical Programming: 3rd Edition this is what I came up with to round the routine out overall:

Week A:

-Monday-
    Squat 5x5 (80% 5 rep max)
    Bench 5x5 (80% 5 rep max)
    Row 5x5
    Skull Crushers 3x12
    Curl 3x12

-Wednesday-
    Beltless Pause Squat 2x5 (-20% Monday)
    OHP 3x5 (-20% previous Monday)
    Weighted chins 3x8
    Close grip bench 3x8

-Friday-
    Squat 1x5 PR
    Bench 1x5 PR
    Deadlift 1x5 PR
    Skull crushers 3x8 (+10% Monday)
    Row 3x8 (-10% Monday)
    Curl 3x8

Week B

-Monday-
    Squat 5x5 (80% 5 rep max)
    Press 5x5 (80% 5 rep max)
    Weighted Chins 5x5
    Close grip bench 3x12
    Curl 3x12

-Wednesday-
    Beltless Pause Squat 2x5 (-20% Monday)
    Bench 3x5 (-20% previous Monday)
    Rows 3x8
    Skull crushers 3x8

-Friday-
    Squat 1x5 PR
    Press 1x5 PR
    Deadlift 1x5 PR
    Close grip bench 3x8 (+10% Monday)
    Weighted chins 3x8 (-10% Monday)
    Curl 3x8

Optional: Rear delts raises, calves, lateral raises

Following the Texas Method, you should be able to milk it to a 455 or 495 squat in due time.

Deloads/Mobility/Warmups
    As a beginner you should not need to deload very often. If you are stalling consistently, eat more and assess your form. If upping your calories doesn't work and you are still stalling on your squat, take a week, cut the weights in half, and give your body a rest. If all of your lifts are progressing except your row, OHP, or bench press, a deload is not necessary. When multiple lifts start stalling, particularly your squat and deadlift, its time to consider a deload. On top of this, make sure you are stretching and warming up properly. I suggest static stretching on off days and dynamic warmups on your training days. For example if you're warming up for squats and your hamstrings feel tight, touch your toes 10 times with your knees locked. If your groin is tight, do 10 bodyweight lunges. Train through discomfort, do not train through pain. If you feel you have an injury, do not try to work through it. Rest and see a physical therapist if need be.

For actually warming up, do not rush it. This is one of the keys to not getting hurt. Do not step into the rack, throw 135 on, and start repping before jumping straight to 225. Do small jumps for low reps. If you're working up to 250 lbs as an example:

Bar x 5 (paused)
    95 x 5 (paused)
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    225 x 1
    250 ~

Final Note

Want to know the secret to progressing efficiently? CONSISTENCY. 99% of people who complain of not being able to grow or get stronger are not following a proper program or are not eating enough (sometimes both). Every time you undercut your calories for the day, every time you half ass or skip a training session, you are holding yourself back a little more. With this layout and progression scheme, you will get where you want to be faster than you thought.
    Last edited by SamSix; 12-25-2014 at 01:30 AM.
    Master total
    S: 585
    B: 370
    D: 605

AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    really detailed post ..

repped.

Aw man, i must spread some first..
    My Powerlifting "Road To Manlet" Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172129323

Instagram: a.camstra

Gym PR(KG): 195/130/220 @61KG Raw

Meet PR(KG): 185/117.5/200 @58.6KG

SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by AFC96 View Post
    really detailed post ..

repped.

Aw man, i must spread some first..
    Thanks i get a lot of pms regarding routine suggestions and the like so i thought id just write everything out here
    Master total

Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bballer99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Repped on sight

10/10 thread would sticky

CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Very good write up, but isn't that misleading saying you started at 250 in 4/2014, when youve squated 400+ before?

That's like me saying after I ovetrained my benched dropped to 185x1, but a little over two and a half months time I hit a 315x1 bench.

Other then that I just skimmed it but it seems really solid good job man.
    402/314/435-1151@213 w/ sleeves USPA

I can do all this through Christ who gives me strength.
    -Philippians 4:13

mufc1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mufc1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mufc1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mufc1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mufc1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mufc1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mufc1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mufc1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mufc1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mufc1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mufc1234 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Solid write up. Repped. Must look into this later when I start squatting this week

Thanks for this!

Originally Posted by CWGame View Post
    Very good write up, but isn't that misleading saying you started at 250 in 4/2014, when youve squated 400+ before?

That's like me saying after I ovetrained my benched dropped to 185x1, but a little over two and a half months time I hit a 315x1 bench.

Other then that I just skimmed it but it seems really solid good job man.
    I didnt train for nearly 6 months. I had to rebuild from nothing
    Master total

Vunhirzen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vunhirzen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vunhirzen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vunhirzen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vunhirzen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vunhirzen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vunhirzen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vunhirzen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vunhirzen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vunhirzen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vunhirzen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Been doing PPL for most of my time lifting. I am very tempted to try texas method, though I'm starting to get very familiar how my body works and programming with PPL. I'll try it next. Don't know when yet though... Have you been doing Fullbody all along?
    CGBP: 275 x5
    OHP: 180 x4
    Squat 405 x8
    DL: 405 5x7
    Incline DB: 100 x10

FapKingKong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FapKingKong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FapKingKong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FapKingKong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FapKingKong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FapKingKong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FapKingKong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FapKingKong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FapKingKong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FapKingKong is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FapKingKong is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Will read later so i can add 300 pounds to my 600lb squat.

Originally Posted by Vunhirzen View Post
    Been doing PPL for most of my time lifting. I am very tempted to try texas method, though I'm starting to get very familiar how my body works and programming with PPL. I'll try it next. Don't know when yet though... Have you been doing Fullbody all along?
    yes since i was allowed to train again in april i have done nothing but full body 3x a week. i personally dont want to be in the gym 6 days a week doing a split

Originally Posted by FapKingKong View Post
    Will read later so i can add 300 pounds to my 600lb squat.
    mirin if no troll, im attempting 600 in march
    Master total

Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Heimdalll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    exactly what I was going to do already squatting 3 plates for 5 reps on SS and going to do Madcows after 10 day vacation. Also one question should I do 10% deload before starting Macows? Or as program says meet my PRs on 4th week?
    Squat: 152,5kgx5
    Bench: 85x5
    Deadlift: 180kgx1

Programs done:
    Starting Strength - 7month
    PHUL - 12 weeks

Currently doing - Madcow's 5x5

gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SamSix View Post
    Not to discredit you in any way, but I am 250% sure that you did, in fact, rebuild from "something" -- muscle memory.

Originally Posted by Heimdalll View Post
    exactly what I was going to do already squatting 3 plates for 5 reps on SS and going to do Madcows after 10 day vacation. Also one question should I do 10% deload before starting Macows? Or as program says meet my PRs on 4th week?
    you could take the slight deload if you feel it would benefit you

Originally Posted by gud1 View Post
    Not to discredit you in any way, but I am 250% sure that you did, in fact, rebuild from "something" -- muscle memory.
    yes, i doubled my squat through muscle memory. no effort needed really
    Master total

力 Do You Even Powerlift 力 CJ93UK's Avatar
    CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Do you think the prior form practice in the lift contributed to your rapid rate of progress in any way? That I think would be the only significant difference between you and a complete beginner trying to hit these numbers, many who might spend weeks or months with their form being the limiting factor behind their lifts. I personally built up to a 400 squat on SS, and over 500 now on TM, and what you're describing is exactly what I'd recommend for most people looking for these numbers, and very similar to what I used myself, but even I had some trouble progressing to those numbers due to form. If a novice has someone to teach them, or puts enough effort into learning good form early and fast, I think this is more than reasonable.

Still great lifts from you man, awesome contribution post, and nice numbers in the time frame, but I think you'd agree at the very least someone without that prior practice in form will probably lengthen the time it takes to reach these numbers, even if only by a few weeks while they learn? If anything, that's the only advantage you'd have in hitting these over someone who hadn't had that, and it's not a huge advantage, just a minor contrast. This is assuming you had at least a good few months squatting before the leave.

s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good read.

Just a quick question: I see you moved chin ups from Day A to Day B for the routine. Is there a reason you made this modification? I don't think I see any other modifications you did to it.

CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by s58 View Post
    Good read.

Just a quick question: I see you moved chin ups from Day A to Day B for the routine. Is there a reason you made this modification? I don't think I see any other modifications you did to it.
    He also changed front squats to back squats on B day, which is obviously the largest change of any, hopefully you spotted that.

Probably moved the chins cos A has bench and rows, 2 relatively heavy upper body lifts, and 1 for the upper back specifically, whereas B only has presses as an upper body lift, which're relatively light in comparison, and nothing for the upper back, so it's worth including chins there, you'll be hitting your upper back more frequently, every session then, and not having 3 upper body lifts in 1 session, bench, rows, chins, which'd be pretty harsh to do 1 after the other.

Could also be to balance the length of the sessions, or maybe to balance push/pull on the same planes (bench/row horizontal, press/chin vertical) on the same days. Just my opinion, I'm only taking a guess, but it'd make sense if it were due to something like this.

s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50) s58 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by CJ93UK View Post
    He also changed front squats to back squats on B day, which is obviously the largest change of any, hopefully you spotted that.

Probably moved the chins cos A has bench and rows, 2 relatively heavy upper body lifts, and 1 for the upper back specifically, whereas B only has presses as an upper body lift, which're relatively light in comparison, and nothing for the upper back, so it's worth including chins there, you'll be hitting your upper back more frequently, every session then, and not having 3 upper body lifts in 1 session, bench, rows, chins, which'd be pretty harsh to do 1 after the other.

Could also be to balance the length of the sessions, or maybe to balance push/pull on the same planes (bench/row horizontal, press/chin vertical) on the same days. Just my opinion, I'm only taking a guess, but it'd make sense if it were due to something like this.
    Yeah I noticed the front squat change. Front squats don't make sense to put in. So I know why he changed that.

And when he says chins, is he actually talking about chin ups (Underhand) or pull ups (Overhand)?Because they are different

CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000) CWGame is a name known to all. (+5000)
    But again you hit those weights before my brother is really shift about lifting now because of work and having a child. At his peak he benched 405, whenever he comes back to the gym for about 3months to a year off he starts at 225 for a couple reps and a month or two down the road is up to 315 for reps again. In no way am I discrediting your lifts they are all solid I'm just saying its misleading.

Also are you natty or riding a bike?
    402/314/435-1151@213 w/ sleeves USPA

I can do all this through Christ who gives me strength.
    -Philippians 4:13

Originally Posted by CJ93UK View Post
    Do you think the prior form practice in the lift contributed to your rapid rate of progress in any way? That I think would be the only significant difference between you and a complete beginner trying to hit these numbers, many who might spend weeks or months with their form being the limiting factor behind their lifts. I personally built up to a 400 squat on SS, and over 500 now on TM, and what you're describing is exactly what I'd recommend for most people looking for these numbers, and very similar to what I used myself, but even I had some trouble progressing to those numbers due to form. If a novice has someone to teach them, or puts enough effort into learning good form early and fast, I think this is more than reasonable.

Still great lifts from you man, awesome contribution post, and nice numbers in the time frame, but I think you'd agree at the very least someone without that prior practice in form will probably lengthen the time it takes to reach these numbers, even if only by a few weeks while they learn? If anything, that's the only advantage you'd have in hitting these over someone who hadn't had that, and it's not a huge advantage, just a minor contrast. This is assuming you had at least a good few months squatting before the leave.
    maybe a little because i knew proper bar path, but i underwent some major form changes when i started in april. i went from squatting wide in chucks to squatting narrow in oly shoes for example. so on top of recreating my form on most of the big compounds, in the 6 months i had off i had basically forgotten all basic movements. i knew WHAT i had to do, but it took time to learn HOW to do it

Yeah I noticed the front squat change. Front squats don't make sense to put in. So I know why he changed that.

And when he says chins, is he actually talking about chin ups (Underhand) or pull ups (Overhand)?Because they are different
    CJ answered your other question pretty well. its just to balance the 2 days out. yes i mean chin ups since they are a bit easier for a novice by recruiting more bicep. when you go on to madcow or texas method i recommend switching to neutral grip or overhand pullups since you can go ahead and add in curls at that point
    Last edited by SamSix; 12-24-2014 at 03:28 PM.
    Master total

skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10) skew12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do OL shoes make that big of a difference over chucks? I've got a nice GC to Rogue that's burning a hole in my pocket.

ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50) ParkRanger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sam, the Texas Method volume day is 80-90% of your 5RM (or the weight you do on intensity day), not 1RM.

Also, most people can't expect to make gains as fast as you did for certain reasons, but this is great advice none the less.

I'd go straight from BLSS to a TM program, however. Curious, why do you suggest Madcows first?
    You can't force knowledge into a dumbass any more than you can force sight into a blind man.

When the world breaks your legs you go and beat it with your crutch.

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gud1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    you could take the slight deload if you feel it would benefit you

What's with the sarcastic attitude? I explicitly stated in the previous post "not to discredit you." I know for sure you worked hard. I'm just making the distinction between a complete noob and someone who had to rebuild. Was the neg necessary? "Don't start this in my thread" start what? I'm clarifying on your thread that the distinction exists. Why don't you want me to say that? It makes it seem as if you're hiding or avoiding something, if anything.

SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SaviorSelfJT has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I stopped lifting for a year, then when I started back I was able to 'progress' infinitely quicker than the first time. Prior lifting experience helps. A lot. I got back to a 315 squat in like a month, and a 405 in about 3 months

I think your strength standards are accurate for someone ~150 lbs. For someone 200 lbs I'd add 80 lbs for each stage. 250 lbs 150 added.
    Best lifts:
    Bench press: 315x4, 345x1
    Squat: 465x1
    Strict press: 185x8, 195x5, 215x1
    Deadlift: 405x13 (conv tap'n'go with straps)

DarthVxder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarthVxder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarthVxder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarthVxder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarthVxder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarthVxder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarthVxder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarthVxder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarthVxder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarthVxder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DarthVxder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Although a noob will probably progress slightly slower than you did this seems like the exact way to go. Nice thead 10/10.

Originally Posted by ParkRanger View Post
    Sam, the Texas Method volume day is 80-90% of your 5RM (or the weight you do on intensity day), not 1RM.

Also, most people can't expect to make gains as fast as you did for certain reasons, but this is great advice none the less.

I'd go straight from BLSS to a TM program, however. Curious, why do you suggest Madcows first?
    you are right. ill fix that, good catch. i put a little mini disclaimer in the beginning saying, "While your results won't be identical to mine, if you follow this written process, I guaran-damn-tee that your strength will improve tremendously at a rapid pace.". i recommend the 12-20 week madcow stint because someone who can only squat 315, while they may not be a complete novice anymore, does not yet have the knowledge or capacity to make adjustments and auto regulations that the Texas Method requires of you to be optimal.

Originally Posted by gud1 View Post
    What's with the sarcastic attitude? I explicitly stated in the previous post "not to discredit you." I know for sure you worked hard. I'm just making the distinction between a complete noob and someone who had to rebuild. Was the neg necessary? "Don't start this in my thread" start what? I'm clarifying on your thread that the distinction exists. Why don't you want me to say that? It makes it seem as if you're hiding or avoiding something, if anything.
    because it shifts the focus of this thread to "well you were strong at one point so its easier for you and wont work for anyone else." i dont want the focus to be on me and my circumstances here. i want the focus to be on bringing an individual from novice to advanced as quickly and safely as possible. no hard feelings, i just dont want the thread derailed
    Master total

anonymous
    not trying to hate at all
    but considering your squat was much higher before the whole 250 part, i think definitely played a role in you building it back up so fast. yes obviously you put it in the work still but i feel like that had a major say so in your quick progression.
    also, ik i saw you say on this site before that you arent natty, so that OBVIOUSLY plays a big role

anyway, pretty detailed post w solid advice from what i skimmed.

M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) M0hi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I came back from big boy misc to teen section just for you Sam
    This is solid and almost what I did. I would have been FAR better off if I bulked longer and slower like I am now but what's done is done (too many bulk cut cycles rather than long quality bulks). If I could go back and do it all over I would bulk SLOWLY on SS/SL/BLSS/ICF and then progress a bit further on madcows before cutting at all.

I am currently rebounding from 3 months off for summer where I couldnt lift, and then another month for a minor injury and I am getting my strength back on my own combo of ICF5x5 and BLSS that I won't share simply to stay OT.

My only critique is, with any of those strength routines, that accessory work should be MANDATORY. The big compounds are the best lifts in the game, but you will look much better and be in better overall shape if you do those accessory lifts and progressively overload. This is especially true for the chins and dips. I've noticed people BLOW UP when they can do weighted dips and chins. IMO I think minor hamstring and ab accessories would be appreciated as well, but at the bare minimum the current routine should have all accessory work be mandatory. I understand it becomes an issue when the near 300lb squat sessions alone take forever because you need 5 minutes of rest in between sets and what not. I get it, it's very draining when by set 3 you are literally lifting on will-power alone. But I also know what it's like to go back and try and correct imbalances that could have been prevented with accessories and trust me it sucks.

Other than that, newcomers should follow this path.

EDIT: Maybe it's because it was early but I missed your entire section detailing your thoughts on the accessory work. All I am getting at is the big compounds lay the foundation for a lot of things. But those chin ups and dips should be mandatory as well. I really hated when I could row a fair amount, wasn't fat, yet could barely do any quality chin ups for lats. The other accessory lifts, aren't really a big deal. Chin ups and dips are compounds and should be mandatory just like the rest. Progression on them is a little more finicky, but still. The other accessories should be done if you have time, but if you have something pressing and need to skip them, you shouldn't lose sleep over it.

TL;DR chin ups and dips should be mandatory.
    Last edited by M0hi; 12-25-2014 at 08:42 AM.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Misc translation: Who mods the mods?
    MISC Plug.DJ crew (◣_◢) http://plug.dj/misc-edm/
    RIP frvrmuscle.
    Aziz Shavershian inspired me. Zyzz made me laugh. There's a difference,RIP
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Reps for life: bfmv69

@Mohi,

i understand where you are coming from, but an absolute novice has no way to tell what imbalances, if any, they are prone to developing. yes imbalances are difficult to correct but starting out you have no idea what is going to lag and what is going to excel. the "leave no stone unturned" approach doesn't really work since you are trying to launch a preemptive strike on weak areas when EVERYTHING on a novice is weak. thats why i think you can start to pick and choose accessory lifts with madcow. because if you are over head pressing 135 for reps but struggle with 185 on bench, obviously your delts are strong and your bench sucks, so you add in close grip bench work.
    Master total

bmcblinz is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmcblinz is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmcblinz is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmcblinz is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmcblinz is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmcblinz is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmcblinz is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmcblinz is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmcblinz is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmcblinz is on a distinguished road. (+10) bmcblinz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    So wait, why were the front squats changed to back squats? Just curious, im a novice been doing this for 3mo with front squats every other workout

Originally Posted by bmcblinz View Post
    So wait, why were the front squats changed to back squats? Just curious, im a novice been doing this for 3mo with front squats every other workout
    If you wanna add poundage to your back squat fast in particular, as the title of this thread, there's no better way than increasing the frequency of the lift, and turning it into the #1 priority of the program, executed every single session for multiple sets of 5.

BS included front squats for a few reasons, they can help with development of other areas of the LB, and can be used as good squat assistance, but I think a novice can get enough development out of squats/deads in the early stages alone, and for strength purposes, they don't need to worry about assistance lifts, they should emphasize specificity. If you wanna get good at something, especially true in the beginner/novice stages, you should be doing it, and doing it often.

BS also says something about a mental break from heavy back squats, this is 1 aspect I think could be beneficial in some people, I know repetitive heavy squats can wear you down quite easily in the head (and the body), but I still think the specificity and form practice of the lift you're trying to build will yield faster/better results in that lift up to the 3-400 squat when S6 recommends a change of pace to MC/TM. FS may also be present so consecutive day training is easier on the lower body, but if someone's lifting light (beginner lifts -300), and keeping an eye on how they feel, they shouldn't have much of an issue squatting on consecutive days, and if they start to, they'll lower the schedule frequency.

^^^ My opinion, S6 might have different reasons for the change, but these are the few I personally see why FSQ in SS may not be the best choice for a novice looking for BSQ strength.
    Last edited by CJ93UK; 12-26-2014 at 06:57 AM.