iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

For all you natty competitors - gtfih!

Have you personally or do you know of other natty competitors that have got into GREAT condition without doing cardio in their prep?

I am traveling along quite nicely atm, 13 weeks out, abs are coming in already. I have dieted down for comp twice before, been one of the best conditioned athletes each time. I have always done cardio in the past and even done it twice/day towards the end of my prep, as I'd been running behind.

ANYWAY... I'm thinking of not doing cardio this time around, so I was just wondering if many others have done this also?

Please respond.
    ((((()-----------((((()

http://www.********.com/skinnyaaroncurtis

Calorie Surplus + Progressive Overload x Years Training = Continuous Gains. UMAD GH15?

"My BeNcH pReSs BrInGs All ThE GirLs To ThE yArD, n ThEy'Re LiKe, YoUr PeCs ArE LaRgE, dAmN rIgHt My PeCs ArE LaRgE, u CaN tOuCh ThEm, bUt IlL hAvE tO cHaRgE."

Duolicus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duolicus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duolicus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duolicus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duolicus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duolicus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duolicus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duolicus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duolicus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duolicus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Duolicus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1rd

Have I ever even lifted? devlin122000's Avatar
    devlin122000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devlin122000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devlin122000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devlin122000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devlin122000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devlin122000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devlin122000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devlin122000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devlin122000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devlin122000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) devlin122000 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm pretty sure Arnold mentioned he rarely did cardio when getting into contest shape. All about the diet
    *WetBreast is gonna make it crew*

tijay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tijay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tijay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tijay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tijay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tijay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tijay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tijay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tijay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tijay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tijay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey bro. question is why do you want to change something if its worked for you in the past?

pls respond

chillz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chillz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you care for your health it would make a lot more sense doing cardio... For the little time it takes it's more than worth it.

ThePACE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThePACE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThePACE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThePACE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThePACE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThePACE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThePACE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThePACE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThePACE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThePACE has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ThePACE has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    LOl saw, your call on fb brah.
    I guess it all depends, some people spend 2 hours a day, some do none at all.
    I'll say, why not do some starting 5 weeks out just to assist.
    Wear garbage bag under clothes 1 day out for water retention.. or just go in a sauna hehe

Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Milone79 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Did a mini cut this past winter for 6 weeks ZERO cardio and I was surprised as to how lean I got....will probably not do any cardio for my next competition..

nabyyy is just really nice. (+1000) nabyyy is just really nice. (+1000) nabyyy is just really nice. (+1000) nabyyy is just really nice. (+1000) nabyyy is just really nice. (+1000) nabyyy is just really nice. (+1000) nabyyy is just really nice. (+1000) nabyyy is just really nice. (+1000) nabyyy is just really nice. (+1000) nabyyy is just really nice. (+1000) nabyyy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by tijay View Post
    hey bro. question is why do you want to change something if its worked for you in the past?

pls respond
    exactly this, why fix it if it isn't broken? you looked incredible on stage nohomo keep doing what you did !
    stay humble stay hungry

adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000) adamrochester is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i always thought if you losing 1lb a week or seeing weekly progress in pics no need to change anything
    MUTANT ATHLETE

STRONGLIFTWEAR ATHLETE

instagram-- http://instagram.com/adamroch18

adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adamjohn32 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    cardio is a useful tool, but getting lean should really be more about the diet. i'd start with no cardio and go from there. you may need to add it in later, you may not. a good strategy would be to keep lowering calories when hitting plateaus in fat loss, but you might reach a point where adding some cardio in would be more beneficial then cutting more calories out.
    Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it. ~Plato

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143873931

iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iron_curtis is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by devlin122000 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Arnold mentioned he rarely did cardio when getting into contest shape. All about the diet
    Arnold never got 'lean' tho.

Originally Posted by tijay View Post

pls respond
    Nothing is ever perfect, I have done well the last two times I have dieted down, but perhaps with less/no cardio I can maintain more muscle /strength than previous comp preps. Just trying different things to see what works/doesn't work. You will never know until you try. I am never content with my 'previous best', I am always looking to move forward, whether that be gaining muscle in the offseason, or a more successfull comp prep.

Originally Posted by chillz View Post
    If you care for your health it would make a lot more sense doing cardio... For the little time it takes it's more than worth it.
    Happy to worry about ^that in the offseason. Comp prep is just about getting lean/maintaining muscle.

Originally Posted by adamrochester View Post
    i always thought if you losing 1lb a week or seeing weekly progress in pics no need to change anything
    I haven't done cardio yet. =P

Originally Posted by adamjohn32 View Post
    cardio is a useful tool, but getting lean should really be more about the diet. i'd start with no cardio and go from there. you may need to add it in later, you may not. a good strategy would be to keep lowering calories when hitting plateaus in fat loss, but you might reach a point where adding some cardio in would be more beneficial then cutting more calories out.
    Agree, we shall see how I go.
    ((((()-----------((((()

Calorie Surplus + Progressive Overload x Years Training = Continuous Gains. UMAD GH15?

"My BeNcH pReSs BrInGs All ThE GirLs To ThE yArD, n ThEy'Re LiKe, YoUr PeCs ArE LaRgE, dAmN rIgHt My PeCs ArE LaRgE, u CaN tOuCh ThEm, bUt IlL hAvE tO cHaRgE."

Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Devils has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by devlin122000 View Post
    and supplements

esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50) esgibson will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hey man i'm a big believer in keeping cardio as low as possible. i've never been blessed enough with the metabolism to get super shredded myself with out it but if you got a good metabolism it could work. i know a couple guys that really didn't need to do cardio to get in seriously shredded condition but they're also the guys that are like 6% or so year round so dieting is a bit easier for them haha

zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zmcdole has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you don't have to do cardio one of two things is going on. Number one you're a genetic freak and you just stay near contest shape year round while still being able to progress and build muscle. Number two, you tried too hard to stay lean in the offseason for NO GOOD REASON other than vanity whilst restricting your ability to build muscle or get bigger and actually look different the next time you get on stage.

A few reasons why you should do cardio:

1. You're more than likely not that genetic freak I talked about.
    2. It's heart healthy.
    3. It will help with recovery.
    4. You can keep your calories higher.
    5. You'll probably need to.
    1708 total @220 Raw
    Improve my total every time I step on the platform.

Being a male is a matter of birth. However, being a "man" is a matter of choice.

Photo in Avi is not current, I'm way fatter now.

domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Best example I can think of is Alberto Nunez, he does little to no cardio, saving it towards the end or throwing it in more as a lifestyle choice, walking up mountains etc.

His set point is below 10% AFAIK.

Would the amount of muscle you have also determine how much cardio you need to do? Athletes with more muscle mass would be burning more calories at rest, and wouldn't need to add in a whole bunch to make up a deficit. Whereas fat guys like me I found it a necessity to do moderate intensity cardio to get lean, HIIT works even better.

andyboi is just really nice. (+1000) andyboi is just really nice. (+1000) andyboi is just really nice. (+1000) andyboi is just really nice. (+1000) andyboi is just really nice. (+1000) andyboi is just really nice. (+1000) andyboi is just really nice. (+1000) andyboi is just really nice. (+1000) andyboi is just really nice. (+1000) andyboi is just really nice. (+1000) andyboi is just really nice. (+1000)
    Calories would get pretty low if you were to try get in contest condition without doing cardio.
    But Aaron, you have quite a large buffer after having bulked from 5000-6000 calories per day IIRC?
    - <30 weeks out with 3DMJ & -Berto- to the 2014 Victorian INBA Victorian Titles.

- Also, join my log on ********: http://www.********.com/AndysNaturalJourney

Originally Posted by andyboi View Post
    Calories would get pretty low if you were to try get in contest condition without doing cardio.
    But Aaron, you have quite a large buffer after having bulked from 5000-6000 calories per day IIRC?
    Yeah, 5400cals I was at for the offseason. Had to get down to 3500 for the comp prep in 2010 I think.

I am definitely eating more this comp prep than I was in 2010, haven't worked out my exact cals tho, plus I am still 13 weeks out, so the hard bit is yet to come.

I'd rather eat more cals and do some cardio than do no cardio and cut way back on cals, BUT if I don't have to do either, then sweet! =D

Originally Posted by zmcdole View Post
    If you don't have to do cardio one of two things is going on. Number one you're a genetic freak and you just stay near contest shape year round while still being able to progress and build muscle. Number two, you tried too hard to stay lean in the offseason for NO GOOD REASON other than vanity whilst restricting your ability to build muscle or get bigger and actually look different the next time you get on stage.

A few reasons why you should do cardio:

1. You're more than likely not that genetic freak I talked about.
    2. It's heart healthy.
    3. It will help with recovery.
    4. You can keep your calories higher.
    5. You'll probably need to.
    I do get lean very easily and have to be quite careful about not dropping muscle when I diet. I am naturally rather ectomorphic.

I was 237lbs at my offseason peak and I will be 193lbs (I assume) onstage later this year, so I definitely don't stay close to contest shape in the offseason. =P

I will stick with no cardio and if I have to include it later in my prep then I will be happy to, but i am interested to see what kinda shape i can get into without it.
    ((((()-----------((((()

XenoNe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XenoNe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XenoNe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) XenoNe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    what are ur workouts like when dieting?

domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50) domingochavez will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by iron_curtis View Post
    Yeah, 5400cals I was at for the offseason. Had to get down to 3500 for the comp prep in 2010 I think.
    Your diet ended up on my bulking calories, sigh :P

pezmaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hiit

I am definitely eating more this comp prep than I was in 2010, haven't worked out my exact cals tho, plus I am still 13 weeks out, so the hard bit is yet to come.

I'd rather eat more cals and do some cardio than do no cardio and cut way back on cals, BUT if I don't have to do either, then sweet! =D

I do get lean very easily and have to be quite careful about not dropping muscle when I diet. I am naturally rather ectomorphic.

I was 237lbs at my offseason peak and I will be 193lbs (I assume) onstage later this year, so I definitely don't stay close to contest shape in the offseason. =P

I will stick with no cardio and if I have to include it later in my prep then I will be happy to, but i am interested to see what kinda shape i can get into without it.

HIIT

just a thought that doing HIIt does create very different enzymic response within the muscle
    yes you can get lean by not doing cardio and modifying your calorie intake and macronutrient profile

scientifically, if you want to get that extra bit leaner, consider doing HIIT .. i would still recommend a low pace cardio system for any of my athletes that targets the fat burning zone..

i also do cardio leading into any comp and my condition speaks for itself

hope this gives you another view/insight

good luck with your prep

kentykentkent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kentykentkent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kentykentkent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kentykentkent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kentykentkent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kentykentkent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kentykentkent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kentykentkent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kentykentkent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kentykentkent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kentykentkent is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by pezmaster View Post
    HIIT

just a thought that doing HIIt does create very different enzymic response within the muscle
    yes you can get lean by not doing cardio and modifying your calorie intake and macronutrient profile

scientifically, if you want to get that extra bit leaner, consider doing HIIT .. i would still recommend a low pace cardio system for any of my athletes that targets the fat burning zone..

good luck with your prep

First post.

Saved his posting virginity for you Aaron.
    Kent.

Originally Posted by XenoNe View Post
    what are ur workouts like when dieting?
    The same as when I'm bulking (so far anyway) as my strength drops I will increase volume (sets).

Originally Posted by pezmaster View Post
    HIIT

good luck with your prep
    PEZ!

I like HIIT, especially the fact it brings about more anaerobic type responses, as you stated, which is why im leaning away from doing LISS/MISS at all this prep. In the past have only chosen to do HIITin the offseason when im eating lots and i'd just do it on an 'off day' for a bit of fitness.

During comp prep I prefer the MISS type stuff (speed walk) also. Less stress on the body in a time when it is already rather stressed.
    Last edited by iron_curtis; 06-08-2012 at 04:52 AM.
    ((((()-----------((((()

ironpump22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ironpump22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ironpump22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ironpump22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ironpump22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ironpump22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ironpump22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ironpump22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ironpump22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ironpump22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ironpump22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Have you personally or do you know of other natty competitors that have got into GREAT condition without doing cardio in their prep?

I am traveling along quite nicely atm, 13 weeks out, abs are coming in already. I have dieted down for comp twice before, been one of the best conditioned athletes each time. I have always done cardio in the past and even done it twice/day towards the end of my prep, as I'd been running behind.

ANYWAY... I'm thinking of not doing cardio this time around, so I was just wondering if many others have done this also?

Please respond.
    I did zero cardio for my last contest, avi and pictures on profile were the result.

Will probably not do any cardio this time around either (14 weeks out right now).
    Personal Trainer and WBFF Pro Classic Physique

***FOLLOW***
    IG @jonkassian

Offering Online Training, program design, and consultations
    ----->>kvfitn3ss@gmail.com<<------

Mention Misc and get discount

Zenith is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zenith is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zenith is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zenith is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zenith is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zenith is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zenith is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zenith is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zenith is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zenith is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zenith is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey Aaron off topic question but how do you think you would go against Jack Miles with the package he bought to the stage last year?
    I saw some pics of him in the overall INBA and I think he was close to Trev for the win
    Im working on my craft and improving every day!