wjddo328 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

HIIT after weight training

I'm thinking about to do HIIT after weight training.

Two times a week for 30min (5min warm up, 20min HIIT, 5min rest).
    Banana+protein shake between training.

Is this going to make the muscles burn?

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    good question.

it's going to make your muscles burn for sure.

what goal do you think to accomplish with it?
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

wjddo328 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    good question.

it's going to make your muscles burn for sure.

what goal do you think to accomplish with it?
    My goal is to gain triceps, bicep, and back muscles while cutting down fat.
    Do you think it's better to do cardio separate?

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by wjddo328 View Post
    My goal is to gain triceps, bicep, and back muscles while cutting down fat.
    start here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=127023861

then read this: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703921

Do you think it's better to do cardio separate?
    in my opinion, yes. if you want to perform both weight training and cardio at an intensity required to create results, it's better to do them separate as one tends to compromise the other.

ie you can't lift all-out heavy-ass and then expect to accomplish much with sprints and vice versa. plus sprints eat into recovery and protein synthesis.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I physically cannot do HIIT and weight training on the same day. Yesterday I had a serious leg day, and today, for example, I couldn't do anything leg related. My HIIT is FULL OUT 20 minutes of sprinting and jogging. If you can do a HIIT session after legs, I would think either the lifting or the HIIT isn't intense enough. MAYBE doing HIIT after an arm/back day.
    Karen

SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpitBlackwood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've always gone with the theory that you should do activities of elevated hearts AFTER weight lifting, so as to expend as much of your glycogen as possible so that once you start into intense work, you go straight into fat burning.

Originally Posted by SpitBlackwood View Post
    I've always gone with the theory that you should do activities of elevated hearts AFTER weight lifting, so as to expend as much of your glycogen as possible so that once you start into intense work, you go straight into fat burning.
    it doesn't matter what you burn during cardio wrt fat loss.

plus OP asked about HIIT, which is high intensity work and uses a higher proportion of glycogen. a very bad idea if your glycogen is low/depleted

natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000) natasor is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by wjddo328 View Post
    I'm thinking about to do HIIT after weight training.

Two times a week for 30min (5min warm up, 20min HIIT, 5min rest).
    Banana+protein shake between training.

Is this going to make the muscles burn?
    I do HIIT for fat loss. And, yes, I do it on the weight training days. But, remember I try to save time and go to gym only 2 times a week. Lifting takes 45 min and HIIT takes another 30 min. If u have enough stamina to do intence 1hr20 min, it may be for u. My recommendations for you: don't do HIIT on the leg day (it's too much on your legs), Don't eat anything between lifting and HIIT (you loose the main reason for your HIIT - burn the fat after u depleted all your glycogen). Really, look u get carbs from banana, and it will burn first, instead of your own fat. Think about it. U don't want to do all that hard work for nothing, just waisting time.
    Other thing to tell u: u don't have to sprint all that 30 min. If u sprint only 15 min then switch to steady run (say 5.7 ml/hr) for next 15 min u get the same result, but for lower cost of your precious tendons.
    Good luck. Nata

Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kemo1990 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    there was a study someone posted that said, cardio on a leg day can actually hinder gains....not sure if broscience or fact

Originally Posted by Kemo1990 View Post
    there was a study someone posted that said, cardio on a leg day can actually hinder gains....not sure if broscience or fact
    here's the tech side of it:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21799304

Antagonistic control of muscle cell size by AMPK and mTORC1.
    Mounier R, Lantier L, Leclerc J, Sotiropoulos A, Foretz M, Viollet B.
    Source

Inserm U1016, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS), UMR8104, University Paris Descartes, Institut Cochin, Paris, France.
    Abstract

Nutrition and physical activity have profound effects on skeletal muscle metabolism and growth. Regulation of muscle mass depends on a thin balance between growth-promoting and growth-suppressing factors. Over the past decade, the mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) kinase has emerged as an essential factor for muscle growth by mediating the anabolic response to nutrients, insulin, insulin-like growth factors and resistance exercise. As opposed to the mTOR signaling pathway, the AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) is switched on during starvation and endurance exercise to upregulate energy-conserving processes. Recent evidence indicates that mTORC1 (mTOR Complex 1) and AMPK represent two antagonistic forces governing muscle adaption to nutrition, starvation and growth stimulation. Animal knockout models with impaired mTORC1 signaling showed decreased muscle mass correlated with increased AMPK activation. Interestingly, AMPK inhibition in p70S6K-deficient muscle cells restores cell growth and sensitivity to nutrients. Conversely, muscle cells lacking AMPK have increased mTORC1 activation with increased cell size and protein synthesis rate. We also demonstrated that the hypertrophic action of MyrAkt is enhanced in AMPK-deficient muscle, indicating that AMPK acts as a negative feedback control to restrain muscle hypertrophy. Our recent results extend this notion by showing that AMPKα1, but not AMPKα2, regulates muscle cell size through the control of mTORC1 signaling. These results reveal the diverse functions of the two catalytic isoforms of AMPK, with AMPKα1 playing a predominant role in the control of muscle cell size and AMPKα2 mediating muscle metabolic adaptation. Thus, the crosstalk between AMPK and mTORC1 signaling is a highly regulated way to control changes in muscle growth and metabolic rate imposed by external cues.
    basically, when you strength train, you activate stuff that signals muscle hypertrophy. when you do endurance exercise, you activate stuff that signals inhibition muscle hypertrophy. pairing weights and high-intensity cardio in the same session can pretty much undo the strength training effort.

AlleeKat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlleeKat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlleeKat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlleeKat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlleeKat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlleeKat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlleeKat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlleeKat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlleeKat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlleeKat is on a distinguished road. (+10) AlleeKat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I go to the gym and my main goal is weightloss. I do weights for about 40-45 minutes and then 20 minutes of cardio. I try to do HIIT, but usually it's just interval training. It makes me sweat like a whore in church. I have been doing it for about 2.5 weeks and am seeing some good results. I took my first progress picture after the gym today and my waist is already visibly smaller. So for me it works at least to do intervals on either the treadmill or bike.

I have a friend that is a PT and if you are going balls to the wall with HIIT she recommends doing it on separate days.