AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cutting/Bulking macros for women

When cutting, is the way you calculate your macros any different to when you calculate your macros for bulking?

I'm trying to help my girlfriend calculate her macros and calories. She's 5'6, 124 lbs, 18 years old. Here is what i got: 1643 calories, 112p/80f/250c. Do these numbers sound reasonable?

I did the calculating with the help of Emma's ''Calorie & Macro needs'' thread.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this, she's trying to cut

AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10) AnverG is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    guise...?..GUISE???????

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Calculation is pretty much the same for both cutting and bulking, although when cutting hard you may consider increasing the protein a bit more. But for those stats the calories and protein look about right but carbs seem high, I get carbs to be 118 grams at that calorie level. But better question is this: is she headed in the right direction as far as goal? At 5'6" and 124 she should be fairly slim. Maybe she should consider gaining some muscle first? Hard to judge without pictures but being only 18 years old I'd say now would be the time to focus on building a solid base.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AnverG View Post
    When cutting, is the way you calculate your macros any different to when you calculate your macros for bulking?

I'm trying to help my girlfriend calculate her macros and calories. She's 5'6, 124 lbs, 18 years old. Here is what i got: 1643 calories, 112p/80f/250c. Do these numbers sound reasonable?

I did the calculating with the help of Emma's ''Calorie & Macro needs'' thread.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this, she's trying to cut
    Your numbers are off. At the macro breakdown she's eating a ~2200 calls.

112p 448 cals
    80 f 720 cals
    250c 1000
    Genshai

Originally Posted by megdaig View Post
    Calculation is pretty much the same for both cutting and bulking, although when cutting hard you may consider increasing the protein a bit more. But for those stats the calories and protein look about right but carbs seem high, I get carbs to be 118 grams at that calorie level. But better question is this: is she headed in the right direction as far as goal? At 5'6" and 124 she should be fairly slim. Maybe she should consider gaining some muscle first? Hard to judge without pictures but being only 18 years old I'd say now would be the time to focus on building a solid base.
    That's what ive tried to tell her. I'm trying to explain to her that she should bulk for a while, although she has pretty muscular legs.

Originally Posted by Tifflex View Post
    Your numbers are off. At the macro breakdown she's eating a ~2200 calls.

112p 448 cals
    80 f 720 cals
    250c 1000
    I thought so, thank you for correcting me. I have no idea on how to calculate the calories for each macro though. All i know is that 1 gram of fat is 9 calories, and carb & protein are 4 calories. Is that correct?

Edit: Re-calculated and this is what i got. 140p/40f/180c, for me this looks more correct. I hope it is
    Last edited by AnverG; 06-10-2012 at 04:43 AM.

Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tifflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AnverG View Post
    I thought so, thank you for correcting me. I have no idea on how to calculate the calories for each macro though. All i know is that 1 gram of fat is 9 calories, and carb & protein are 4 calories. Is that correct?

Edit: Re-calculated and this is what i got. 140p/40f/180c, for me this looks more correct. I hope it is
    Yes the calculation is correct.

How long has your gf been training? Why is she trying to cut at 124lbs?
    Genshai

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    At this point in her training, being very new to lifting I suppose, she is currently at the time that she will make the biggest [newbie] gains possible! Don't let her waste this time spinning her wheels trying to lose weight only too look like a skeleton with loose skin walking around (ala Nicole Ritchie @ 98#s).

Just have a general conversation with her about the look that she ultimately wants, google some pictures of fitness/figure models (not the ones on Shape magazine!) and have her point out the look she's going for. Just explain to her the principles of muscles providing shape beneath skin/fat and kind of lead her into the direction of choosing to "gain" a bit. She doesn't have to put on 30# in one fell swoop. Just give her some ideas of what a 5 to 10# difference can make. Jump over to the First Time Bulker's Thread (link) to see some examples of this in action...
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

Originally Posted by Tifflex View Post
    Yes the calculation is correct.

How long has your gf been training? Why is she trying to cut at 124lbs?
    She has been lifting for 4 months, without following any diet. She doesn't know about bulking/cutting. I'm trying to introduce her to lifting because i kind of feel that she is a cardio bunny.

I've talked to her about this fear that girls have of becoming ''bulky'', i've showed her articles and so on. Although, i must admit she has a strong lower body, she has been figureskating for 10 years. I've asked her why she won't bulk and she thinks she's too fat (wtf). She seems afraid of fat, also her being stubborn doesn't help me at all.

Originally Posted by megdaig View Post
    At this point in her training, being very new to lifting I suppose, she is currently at the time that she will make the biggest [newbie] gains possible! Don't let her waste this time spinning her wheels trying to lose weight only too look like a skeleton with loose skin walking around (ala Nicole Ritchie @ 98#s).

Just have a general conversation with her about the look that she ultimately wants, google some pictures of fitness/figure models (not the ones on Shape magazine!) and have her point out the look she's going for. Just explain to her the principles of muscles providing shape beneath skin/fat and kind of lead her into the direction of choosing to "gain" a bit. She doesn't have to put on 30# in one fell swoop. Just give her some ideas of what a 5 to 10# difference can make. Jump over to the First Time Bulker's Thread (link) to see some examples of this in action...

Exactly! I'm currently making her read this thread and the responses. I made her register and she might start posting here. I've tried to explain that she needs a solid base in order to cut and get that ''tone'' look that she wants. Heres a typical answer to why she doesn't want to bulk; ''what if i get fat?''. She seems scared of fat/eating alot.

Edit; She might post some pictures soon
    Last edited by AnverG; 06-10-2012 at 07:13 AM.

ponymusclez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm the girlfriend, here are some pictures. So you guys still think i should bulk?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ponymusclez; 06-10-2012 at 08:59 AM.