Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

I continue to be amazed by the "greatest generation"

For some of you it's your parents generation, for me and my wife (mid 30's) it's our grandparents. There's a reason they are called the greatest generation.

I could give countless examples..

My grandfather died from cancer a few years ago, didn't tell a single person, even his wife he was diagnosed terminal. Shortly before he died I asked him why he didn't tell anyone, he said "I didn't want to spend the last bit of time I had left seeing your grandma sad"... I've thought about that comment alot ever since. Really stuck with me.

Recently my wife's grandparents both passed away. They lived in a tiny house, drove cars so old we donated them to the local high school shop class, instead of bothering with selling them.

Got told the other day the amount of money, stocks, bonds etc. they left behind. Mind = blown...

All I can think of is all things that came out in their lifetime. New cars, the hottest new tv's, the luxury vacations, the house people would envy..

They could have easily afforded all those things. Instead, they chose to save and to keep the money protected to make sure their children and grandchildren could reap the benefits of their hard work..

I can't even imagine my generation being selfless enough to do the same.. Sure, some might take out a life insurance policy... But to choose, every single day, NOT to buy that brand new truck. NOT to go get that cool new fishing boat. To not care what others thought about the size of your house.. When every single day you knew you could, if you wanted, have it all at any time..So much to be learned that seems to have been lost..
    The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
    -Nietzsche

You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six.
    -Yogi Berra

paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I was just reading the other day online; Today's young folks believe themselves to be the greatest generation! Ha ha. One psychologist noted with worry that we are raising a bunch of narcissistic, full of themselves, entitled little bubble heads! We have one incredible generation's boots to try and fill brother! Whether that of our Fathers, or our Grandfathers.
    paolo59

"If you're going through hell, keep going!" Winston Churchill

KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I love the WWII generation, if you ever get a chance go to the National D-Day museum in New Orleans and you learn exactly how much the entire country sacrificed back then. They were amazing people.
    The Unexamined Life is not worth living

jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Do you think they are the greatest generation or should some credit be given to the generation that raised them?
    "Before my father died, he said the worst thing about growing old was that other men stopped seeing you as dangerous. I've always remembered that, how being dangerous was sacred, a badge of honor." - Act Of Valor

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jellodirt View Post
    Do you think they are the greatest generation or should some credit be given to the generation that raised them?
    Both. What does that say for the current generation????
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    Both. What does that say for the current generation????
    I believe that where the greatest generation failed was that it had no choice but to do what it did. The men went off to war and the women went to work and when the men came back they were not the same and the result was the baby boomer generation which has led this country down a horrible path ever since. Just my opinion.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    They did what they had to do. I would hope any generation would do the same.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've pondered this since Brokaw wrote his book. They lived through extraordinary times but not any more than many generations before them. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.
    "Before my father died, he said the worst thing about growing old was that other men stopped seeing you as dangerous. I've always remembered that, how being dangerous was sacred, a badge of honor." - Act Of Valor

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by KenJenkinsII View Post
    I believe that where the greatest generation failed was that it had no choice but to do what it did. The men went off to war and the women went to work and when the men came back they were not the same and the result was the baby boomer generation which has led this country down a horrible path ever since. Just my opinion.
    This (and the next) generation is of the belief that they are somehow different, and they can think/spend their way out of the current situation. All we need is a basic set of rules, and some folks who are willing to succeed, despite the odds.

I've pondered this since Brokaw wrote his book. They lived through extraordinary times but not any more than many generations before them. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.
    I would disrespectfully disagree. Until those times, women stayed home, men worked, and the roles of both were well defined and the family unit was much more stable than it has been since then. The women were forced to assume the roles of the men who were no longer there which created the latch key kid.

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mslman71 View Post
    They did what they had to do. I would hope any generation would do the same.
    Yes.

Originally Posted by nebraskaheat View Post

I can't even imagine my generation being selfless enough to do the same.. ..
    Wow, how terribly sad. You seriously need to seek out and surround yourself with different people. They're out there.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) nebraskaheat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Not sure if it was circumstances that brought the best out of them, or how it happened. I can't help think living just after (or as children) around the great depression must have been what kept my wife's grandparents saving, instead of ever splurging on frivolous things.. Knowing how fast you could lose it all..

Sadly, I don't think our generation is learning anything from our great recession.. I've got cousins who don't have a dollar in savings but have the iphone 5..

Not that I'm one to judge. I own a house, we're currently trying to sell so we can downsize. Ridiculous to have ever bought this house. We bought in early 2008, then went "uh oh" 8 months later when it crashed.. We've learned however....
    The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
    -Nietzsche

You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six.
    -Yogi Berra

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Not sure if it was circumstances that brought the best out of them, or how it happened. I can't help think living just after (or as children) around the great depression must have been what kept my wife's grandparents saving, instead of ever splurging on frivolous things.. Knowing how fast you could lose it all..

Sadly, I don't think our generation is learning anything from our great recession.. I've got cousins who don't have a dollar in savings but have the iphone 5..

Not that I'm one to judge. I own a house, we're currently trying to sell so we can downsize. Ridiculous to have ever bought this house. We bought in early 2008, then went "uh oh" 8 months later when it crashed.. We've learned however....
    Those people knew hardship. The depression, WWII, just making do without any extras. I have some $$ saved for my retirement, plan on blowing every dime of it myself. Srs... there should be something to pass onto my kids. My own dad is 95... his lovely 2nd wife took him over the high hurdles... so he and his money will probably come to a photo-finish.

Rob
    In space, nobody can smell Uranus....

Mr Flexy's Happy Protégé LisaSkinnoble's Avatar
    LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    My parents still don't waste money. That is something they have passed on to me.

They have also, and still to this day, worked tirelessly for various charities. I told them quite recently that if they want to bequeath all their money to charities, then they should! We are all grownups and we can make our own money - they needn't bequeath a cent to us.
    No drama: You know where we are.

Hello and welcome to our newest member jackbauer.

Meet stats:
    April 2017 - 235/135/270
    Aug 2017 - 245/125/285

Built Upon Struggle FlaIronMind's Avatar
    FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post
    Wow, how terribly sad. You seriously need to seek out and surround yourself with different people. They're out there.
    They are. But not enough of them. That's the point.

I enjoy listening to a great deal of old radio shows. Particularly like the mystery/suspense ones - Suspense, Escape, The Shadow, The Whistler, etc.

Point being, during those shows, they sometimes play old commercials, or will, during the opening/closing of the show itself, make reference to WWII which was going on (depending on the date of the show), and how we needed to sacrifice for "our boys" and the war effort, the rations that were going on (butter, sugar, nylon (esp. for ladies' nylons), rubber, etc., etc.), ration books/coins and so on. Even remember one commercial in particular about a lady who was going without buying a needed winter coat so she could, instead, buy a US Savings Bond to help fund the war effort because "those boys" need all they can get. It always occurs to me that we no longer live an era where most would acquiesce or pitch in and make such sacrifices, nor even recognize the importance of it, of being a part of something larger than what is outside their ******** wall.

Whether "they" are "out there" or not is hardly the determinative factor anymore; we live in an era of entitlements, where no one is accountable to anyone for anything and everything is someone or something else's fault and attributed to a disease, disorder, troubled upbringing, where kids are not allowed to fail for fear of jeopardizing their "self-esteem" and the list goes on and on and on.

Yes, you're right. It is terribly sad. But we live in a fallen world. It is supposed to get far worse before it ever gets better. But in the end, we know who wins.
    Last edited by FlaIronMind; 01-21-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Originally Posted by FlaIronMind View Post

I enjoy listening to a great deal of old radio shows. Particularly like the mystery/suspense ones - Suspense, Escape, The Shadow, The Whistler, etc.

Point being, during those shows, they sometimes play old commercials, or will, during the opening/closing of the show itself, make reference to WWII which was going on (depending on the date of the show), and how we needed to sacrifice for "our boys" and the war effort, the rations that were going on (butter, sugar, nylon (esp. for ladies' nylons), rubber, etc., etc.), ration books/coins and so on. It always occurs to me that we no longer live an era where most would acquiesce or pitch in and make such sacrifices, nor even recognize the importance of it, of being a part of something larger than what is outside their ******** wall.

Whether "they" are "out there" or not is hardly the determinative factor anymore; we live in an era of entitlements, where no one is accountable to anyone for anything and everything is someone or something else's fault and attributed to a disease, disorder, troubled upbringing, where kids are not allowed to fail for fear of jeopardizing their "self-esteem" and the list goes on and on and on.

Yes, you're right. It is terribly sad. But we live in a fallen world. It is supposed to get far worse before it ever gets better. But in the end, we know who wins.
    The bolded: This does not have to be the case.

LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) LisaSkinnoble has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Point being, during those shows, they sometimes play old commercials, or will, during the opening/closing of the show itself, make reference to WWII which was going on (depending on the date of the show), and how we needed to sacrifice for "our boys" and the war effort, the rations that were going on (butter, sugar, nylon (esp. for ladies' nylons), rubber, etc., etc.), ration books/coins and so on. It always occurs to me that we no longer live an era where most would acquiesce or pitch in and make such sacrifices, nor even recognize the importance of it, of being a part of something larger than what is outside their ******** wall.

I remember my Grandma telling me how ladies would draw the nylon seam on the backs of their legs so it appeared that they were wearing proper stockings!

And I remember one Grandma telling me the story of how she put her toddler children on a train to go stay out in the countryside of England, with strangers (!), but be out of danger of the London bombings.

But how many military wives and husbands are struggling and holding the fort at home today, working at their own careers, cooking, cleaning, and doing homework with the kids? Many!

And there are some wonderful young people out there today. Up here, our kids have a requirement that they must do 40 hours of community service in order to graduate high school. There are so many who sign up to get their 40 hours, but work way beyond that, because once they volunteer they have the bug and don't stop till they hit 1,000 hours!

Just look at that 14YO girl who swam Lake Ontario (that's bloody far and cold - even in summer!) for charity. When she finished, she called her Grandma to tell her she'd done it, and her Grandma said that she'd seen it on television. The girl was stunned. She couldn't believe she was on TV!

Meet stats:
    April 2017 - 235/135/270
    Aug 2017 - 245/125/285

FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The bolded: This does not have to be the case.
    Depends on which book you read. In mine, it does.

Originally Posted by LisaSkinnoble View Post
    I remember my Grandma telling me how ladies would draw the nylon seam on the backs of their legs so it appeared that they were wearing proper stockings!

And I remember one Grandma telling me the story of how she put her toddler children on a train to go stay out in the countryside of England, with strangers (!), but be out of danger of the London bombings.

But how many military wives and husbands are struggling and holding the fort at home today, working at their own careers, cooking, cleaning, and doing homework with the kids? Many!

And there are some wonderful young people out there today. Up here, our kids have a requirement that they must do 40 hours of community service in order to graduate high school. There are so many who sign up to get their 40 hours, but work way beyond that, because once they volunteer they have the bug and don't stop till they hit 1,000 hours!

Just look at that 14YO girl who swam Lake Ontario (that's bloody far and cold - even in summer!) for charity. When she finished, she called her Grandma to tell her she'd done it, and her Grandma said that she'd seen it on television. The girl was stunned. She couldn't believe she was on TV!
    As I said, I know they are out there. Just much fewer and much further between. What once was went way beyond military families themselves. It was damn near every single person. This is what I was driving at, if I missed my mark.

Depends on which book you read. In mine, it does.

Things "have" to get worse before they get better? Each day we wake up, we have an opportunity to make today better than yesterday. If we succumb to the idea that things must get worse first, then things will never get better.

Get a new book.

As I said, I know they are out there. Just much fewer and much further between. What once was went way beyond military families themselves. It was damn near every single person. This is what I was driving at, if I missed my mark.
    Oh I understand. Yes, I often wonder how we would fare if we had the rations imposed on us that all citizens had back then. And when I hear and read stories about how ladies sewed their own blackout curtains ( and the penalties imposed upon those who did not! ) it is amazing. Could you see the millions and millions of North Americans today if we had petrol/gas coupons?

Meet stats:
    April 2017 - 235/135/270
    Aug 2017 - 245/125/285

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Things "have" to get worse before they get better? Each day we wake up, we have an opportunity to make today better than yesterday. If we succumb to the idea that things must get worse first, then things will never get better.

Get a new book.
    I agree. Call me a polly-anna (j/k please don't) but I prefer to see each and every day as full of possibilities for GOOD things.

The people I love to be around are social activists who are out there every day trying to make this wolrd a better place for EVERYONE---helping out complete strangers. Sacrificing to pass on to family members? Nothing great about that. Sacrificing for someone you've never met? To me THAT is noble and admirable.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

Get a new book.
    I was referring to this book, particularly that portion towards the end of it.

But I agree with your point. I was speaking, albeit somewhat cryptically, in a larger sense.

Originally Posted by discdoggie View Post
    The people I love to be around are social activists who are out there every day trying to make this wolrd a better place for EVERYONE---helping out complete strangers. Sacrificing to pass on to family members? Nothing great about that. Sacrificing for someone you've never met? To me THAT is noble and admirable.
    While I believe sacrificing on behalf of anyone is in fact a "great" thing period, I too agree with your take on sacrificing for total and complete strangers. This is a tenet I have tried to live for the majority of my life, and continue to do so.

Oh I understand. Yes, I often wonder how we would fare if we had the rations imposed on us that all citizens had back then. And when I hear and read stories about how ladies sewed their own blackout curtains ( and the penalties imposed upon those who did not! ) it is amazing. Could you see the millions and millions of North Americans today if we had petrol/gas coupons?
    This is my point; they would not. I cannot see that all.

Perhaps given certain things in my own experience and the roles I have served (and serve), the calls I have (and continue to) answer throughout my life, my view of humankind is somewhat skewed. But ours is not as selfless as a society as it once was.

I was referring to this book, particularly that portion towards the end of it.

But I agree with your point. I was speaking, albeit somewhat cryptically, in a larger sense.

After I hit submit, it dawned on me which "book" you were referencing. Sorry for being thick headed. Yeah, the ending is the same for all of us.

After I hit submit, it dawned on me which "book" you were referencing. Sorry for being thick headed. Yeah, the ending is the same for all of us.

No worries brother.

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    For some of you it's your parents generation, for me and my wife (mid 30's) it's our grandparents. There's a reason they are called the greatest generation.

I could give countless examples..

My grandfather died from cancer a few years ago, didn't tell a single person, even his wife he was diagnosed terminal. Shortly before he died I asked him why he didn't tell anyone, he said "I didn't want to spend the last bit of time I had left seeing your grandma sad"... I've thought about that comment alot ever since. Really stuck with me.

Recently my wife's grandparents both passed away. They lived in a tiny house, drove cars so old we donated them to the local high school shop class, instead of bothering with selling them.

Got told the other day the amount of money, stocks, bonds etc. they left behind. Mind = blown...

All I can think of is all things that came out in their lifetime. New cars, the hottest new tv's, the luxury vacations, the house people would envy..

They could have easily afforded all those things. Instead, they chose to save and to keep the money protected to make sure their children and grandchildren could reap the benefits of their hard work..

I can't even imagine my generation being selfless enough to do the same.. Sure, some might take out a life insurance policy... But to choose, every single day, NOT to buy that brand new truck. NOT to go get that cool new fishing boat. To not care what others thought about the size of your house.. When every single day you knew you could, if you wanted, have it all at any time..So much to be learned that seems to have been lost..
    Very nice post. I feel the same way about my folks and their generation (They're 80 now).

My father always worked on his own cars, built decks, fences and fixed any problem a house can possibly have. We've always joked that he'd starve if my mother dies first, because he can't cook to save his life . However, he eats whatever she makes for him, and eats to live, not lives to eat. He's so "basic" that it's humbling. He's worked (read VOLUNTEER) at the VA in Pensacola for the past 10yrs. He worked (read VOLUNTEERED) at Panama City Community College for over 5yrs, teaching computer skills. The last two mentioned, after retiring from 33yrs at an airline.

My mother; still tears a paper towel in half, so not to waste paper. She shutters at the thought of paying the price for a T-Bone, NY Strip, etc., but makes the best meals a kid could grow up on. She comments (whispers) of the excess that my sisters (and others, including me) often indulge in, but does so in a tasteful and respectful way.

Both? They've bailed me out any time I got into a jam growing up (and it was a lot of times ). They've bought laptops for all of my 3 kids, as well as desktops for myself and each of my sisters. They are the ones who started my kids (and all of their 6 grandchildren) in mutual funds after birth (I chose the funds, but THEY funded it to start out...and have continued contributing every birthday and Christmas since.

Did I mention that they owned 3 homes (in 3 different states) just 20yrs ago, all paid for? Now? After selling two, they've now lived in the last remaining one...on the beach, on the Gulf of Mexico for almost 20yrs.

I kind of wish that I didn't even mention the monetary worth of an iota of the "gifts" they've given, because their value to myself, my sisters and to all of our children has truly been priceless. Truly. The time they devoted/devote to each of us is amazing, as they don't know the meaning of the word "selfish".

My parents still don't waste money. That is something they have passed on to me.
    I LOL'd when reading this ^ That is hilarious!!! .

As for today's generation? My opinion falls between the two being argued. Personally, I think today's military is the finest, ever. And I mean that. Today's "youth" in general? Sure, big divide...big differences....definitely decadent, as a whole. But let us not confuse the difference between two, as they are quite different.

Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Definitely a high proportion of amazingly selfless and dedicated people.

My grandfather had to drop out of school in the 9th grade to help support the family. He became a baker, served in WWII in his early 20's, and came back home to marry my grandmother and continue baking for 30+ years. While my mother and Aunt were in college, the vacuum broke down at grandma and grandpa's, so they went without for a year. That is a level of commitment to the future generation that was truly impressive.

I am sure many of you have stories from your families, or people you knew.
    Journal- One of the Ogres
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139651333

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Big_Sky_Guy View Post
    Definitely a high proportion of amazingly selfless and dedicated people.

My grandfather had to drop out of school in the 9th grade to help support the family. He became a baker, served in WWII in his early 20's, and came back home to marry my grandmother and continue baking for 30+ years. While my mother and Aunt were in college, the vacuum broke down at grandma and grandpa's, so they went without for a year. That is a level of commitment to the future generation that was truly impressive.

I am sure many of you have stories from your families, or people you knew.
    When my grandmother died they found dozens of tins of half and silver dollars stashed in the walls. She was scared of losing everything to the banks (great depression).
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

Originally Posted by dbx View Post
    Very nice post. I feel the same way about my folks and their generation (They're 80 now).

My father always worked on his own cars, built decks, fences and fixed any problem a house can possibly have. We've always joked that he'd starve if my mother dies first, because he can't cook to save his life . However, he eats whatever she makes for him, and eats to live, not lives to eat. He's so "basic" that it's humbling. He's worked (read VOLUNTEER) at the VA in Pensacola for the past 10yrs. He worked (read VOLUNTEERED) at Panama City Community College for over 5yrs, teaching computer skills. The last two mentioned, after retiring from 33yrs at an airline.

My mother; still tears a paper towel in half, so not to waste paper. She shutters at the thought of paying the price for a T-Bone, NY Strip, etc., but makes the best meals a kid could grow up on. She comments (whispers) of the excess that my sisters (and others, including me) often indulge in, but does so in a tasteful and respectful way.

Both? They've bailed me out any time I got into a jam growing up (and it was a lot of times ). They've bought laptops for all of my 3 kids, as well as desktops for myself and each of my sisters. They are the ones who started my kids (and all of their 6 grandchildren) in mutual funds after birth (I chose the funds, but THEY funded it to start out...and have continued contributing every birthday and Christmas since.

Did I mention that they owned 3 homes (in 3 different states) just 20yrs ago, all paid for? Now? After selling two, they've now lived in the last remaining one...on the beach, on the Gulf of Mexico for almost 20yrs.

I kind of wish that I didn't even mention the monetary worth of an iota of the "gifts" they've given, because their value to myself, my sisters and to all of our children has truly been priceless. Truly. The time they devoted/devote to each of us is amazing, as they don't know the meaning of the word "selfish".

I LOL'd when reading this ^ That is hilarious!!! .

As for today's generation? My opinion falls between the two being argued. Personally, I think today's military is the finest, ever. And I mean that. Today's "youth" in general? Sure, big divide...big differences....definitely decadent, as a whole. But let us not confuse the difference between two, as they are quite different.
    On spread with you sir, but I tried...

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The ‘Greatest Generation’ had values, and held on to those values for dear life. We don’t have the same values they did. That’s for sure.

Originally Posted by paolo59 View Post
    I was just reading the other day online; Today's young folks believe themselves to be the greatest generation! Ha ha. One psychologist noted with worry that we are raising a bunch of narcissistic, full of themselves, entitled little bubble heads! We have one incredible generation's boots to try and fill brother! Whether that of our Fathers, or our Grandfathers.
    Sounds like somebody we all know who just had coronation, I mean, inauguration, the other day.
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.