fight4fire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Workout after hernia repair

Hey guys Im a week back from hernia surgery. tried doing an arm workout today that did not involve my abs tightening. Im not sure any such exercise exists out there. anyone else in here had hernia surgery. how long did you wait to get back into lifting and were there any upper body exercises that you found you could do without straining the abs.

DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by fight4fire View Post
    Hey guys Im a week back from hernia surgery. tried doing an arm workout today that did not involve my abs tightening. Im not sure any such exercise exists out there. anyone else in here had hernia surgery. how long did you wait to get back into lifting and were there any upper body exercises that you found you could do without straining the abs.
    Had one repaired about 11 years ago. What has your doctor told you about exercise? Everyone's recovery will be different because everyone's repair is different. Took about 6 months to feel fully recovered, though mine was pretty big since I just ignored it like an idiot. If there is any pain, stop whatever you are doing. Let the body heal itself. If I were you I would just start doing light cardio just to get some blood flowing as well as actually feel like you are doing something. You will be hard pressed to find any weight lifting exercises that don't involve at least some core. It's one of those things that you never really notice till you are forced to. Just got to be patient and wait for your body to let you know. Good luck
    My Workout Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146169983&pagenumber=

"It is while struggling against the heaviest weights a human body can move that the demand for courage is incessant."
    -Mike Mentzer

Registered User placentalprevia's Avatar
    placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000) placentalprevia is just really nice. (+1000)
    i had one. as far as i know you shouldn't be doing anything strenuous for a few weeks and then you should have a follow up with your doctor and ask then. You could risk opening the hernia again before its healed up and then you will need surgery again. most exercises will involve some tightening of the core. i recommend resting. a week is too soon. it took me 6-9 weeks to be cleared for lifting again and even then the doc was wary of me going heavy. I felt pain or discomfort for much longer though. months after i was hesitant to lift because of discomfort and pain in the area of the hernia. Eventually i just had to lift and push through it. doesn't bother me much anymore but it kept me away from the heavy lifts for a long time.

when in doubt though. ask your doctor. he did your surgery and has the best idea of whats going on

DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DYTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by placentalprevia View Post
    ... a week is too soon.
    Oh s#it I missed that part. OP, are you insane? You should be doing absolutely nothing but just sitting there. If you do any exercise now you will, not might, hurt yourself. Listen to your doctors, if he said 1 week is good to start lifting, get a new doctor. You will be out of commission for a while, it's just a fact. The body is an amazing thing if you give it the rest that it really needs.
    My Workout Log:

"It is while struggling against the heaviest weights a human body can move that the demand for courage is incessant."
    -Mike Mentzer

fight4fire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    He didnt say a week. he said not to lift more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks. I was trying to get around it by doing arm exercises sitting down while trying to completely relax my abs. lighter weight than usual of course. however my try was a failure. i hurt more today because of what i did yesterday and got the "talk" from my wife, who happens to be the surgeons nurse. I told her not to tell on me. im just a gym addict and have a hard time not doing something out of fear of losiing gains. im 39yrs old so this has been no easy task for me. thanks for all the replies. i was hoping for different comments but figured id get what i got. You guys are all right, I just dont like it that you are

He didnt say a week. he said not to lift more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks. I was trying to get around it by doing arm exercises sitting down while trying to completely relax my abs. lighter weight than usual of course. however my try was a failure. i hurt more today because of what i did yesterday and got the "talk" from my wife, who happens to be the surgeons nurse. I told her not to tell on me. im just a gym addict and have a hard time not doing something out of fear of losiing gains. im 39yrs old so this has been no easy task for me. thanks for all the replies. i was hoping for different comments but figured id get what i got. You guys are all right, I just dont like it that you are
    I completely understand, it is very hard to stay out of the gym for a prolonged period of time. Just got to keep in mind that right now the best thing you can do for your body is rest, and I think you have proven that to yourself. Will you lose some muscle, yes you will. But there isnt really an alternative here. If you go the gym you will be doing such light weight that it wont keep the muscle anyways and then you have a great possibility to hurt yourself more. Seems like an awful lot of risk for little to no reward. Just during this time try to keep your diet in check as you wont be doing to much, if any, phsyical stuff. Before you know it, you will be healed and ready for the gym. Any muscle that you lost will return relatively shortly, just dont go crazy for the first couple weeks back though. Good luck
    My Workout Log:

-Mike Mentzer