iliekturtles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Going from bodybuilding back to baseball.

I quit pitching 4-5 years ago and have done a lot of work in the weight room and kitchen to obtain a nice physique. I'd now like to try my luck again at pitching professionally and have no idea what my nutrition/workout routine should be like. I got away with being lazy when I was younger but now I want to do everything right to ensure a successful career. My goal is to be in playing shape next summer 11-12 months from now so I can compete in a college level wood-bat summer league. How do I go about getting back in to playing shape? I haven't thrown in 4 years and my endurance is pretty bad. I've been doing HIIT as my only cardio and limiting carbs/fats to get a sick pack. Should I go to a high carb/protein diet since pitching puts a toll on the body? If anyone knows of good offseason and in season workouts for pitchers I'd really appreciate it.

justi123 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    good job ;]

ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ive helped a few people out on their baseball goals in this forum, there is alot of in depth info ive given in these threads, not entirely pitcher related but all good baseball advice
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=143809341 (catcher)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=144008721 (shortstop)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=143288723 (pitcher and 1st)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=143567083 (1st and 3rd)
    i am personally a pitcher and corner position player, i injured my shoulder last summer by being stupid and not warming up prior to throwing and didnt get to try out for a college team, so im going to try out this summer now for my CC and we will see how it goes.
    But lets see here, ill give you a few key things to worry about for the first five weeks of training to not make the process too overwhelming.
    First is throwing
    5-10 minutes of jogging
    5-10 minutes Full body stretching
    5-10 minutes Dynamic warm up (watch this and perform the movements from steps 1 and 2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INDEd...eature=related
    Arm circles:15 little forward;15 little backward; 15 big forward;15 big backward
    Throwing
    10 minute warm up
    Throw at 45-60 feet for 4 minutes
    Throw at 90 feet for 4 minutes
    Throw at 120 feet for 2 minutes
    Then perform each week of the following:
    Week 1: Play catch at a distance of 60 feet throwing half speed for 20-25 minutes per session, 3 times a week for one week.

Week 2: Perform long easy throws of 150-200 feet getting the ball barely back to your partner on 5-6 bounces. This is to be performed for 20-25 minutes per session on two consecutive days, (Monday and Tuesday). Then rest the arm for 1 day. Repeat the sequence one time for the next two days, (Thursday and Friday). Then rest the arm for 2 days.

Week 3: Perform long easy throws from 200-250 feet with the ball barely getting back to your partner on numerous bounces. This is to be performed for 20-25 minutes per session on two consecutive days, (Monday and Tuesday). Then rest the arm for one day. Repeat the sequence one time for the next two days, Thursday and Friday). Then rest the arm for two days.

Week 4: Execute stronger throws from 150-200 feet getting the ball back to your partner on one to two bounces. This should be performed approximately 30-35 minutes per session on two consecutive days, (Monday and Tuesday). Rest the arm for one day. Repeat the same routine for the next two days, Thursday and Friday). Then rest the arm for two days.

Week 5: Perform short, crisp throws from a distance of 120 feet with a relatively straight trajectory hitting your partner in the chest. These throws should be performed for 30 minutes on two consecutive days, (Monday and Tuesday). Rest the arm for one day. Repeat the sequence one time for the next two days, (Thursday and Friday). Then rest the arm for the next two days.

this is a simple way to condition your arm for the task at hand, i do not recommend any pitching yet, you NEED TO PREPARE YOUR ARM so stick to only this and ice after every throwing session.
    i got this program from thecompletepitcher.com by steven ellis, he has alot of great pitching info and i recommend you check it out
    ill give more info on a further date since i got finals to study for now
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." Jackie Robinson