Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

npr0 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Push-Ups not building chest muscle [VIDEO]

TLDR: When I do push-ups only my shoulders get tired. I see how to fix it but I'm having trouble making it happen, PM me if you think you could help.

I need some help. I JUST started exercising again after nearly a year of doing nothing and while doing some pushups, the way I've always done them, I started to wonder why my chest NEVER got any bigger. I Googled it and found out that my form is really terrible and that I've managed to turn pushups into a shoulder exercise. If I ever want to fix my caved-in chest I need to correct my form.

I tried using some tips I found on Google and I think they're really solid tips but I'm having a lot of trouble effectively applying them all together. I'll focus on tightening my abs and my back will slack or my head will drop or blah blah whatever, so when I'm doing them it doesn't even feel like I'm activating the muscles in my chest at all.

The last time I practiced before making this video I felt like I hit the nail on the head and my chest was sore for two days after but it didn't really burn itself into my head and I feel like I lost it so I tried again tonight. It didn't go well. I would have practiced longer but I just get tired so easily right now and I don't see the point if it's going to come in the way of improving my form.

I'm hoping someone can take a look at a video I made tonight and offer some constructive criticism on correcting my form because I can't do it alone. Please just send me a private message if you think you could help me out and I'll give you a link to the video.

If it matters at all his a little bit about me;
    I used to weigh 250 lbs about 5 years ago, I'm down to 170 but almost none of that is muscle I could be proud of.
    I have pretty terrible posture (probably from all the video games.) I am working on this daily by tightening my core while walking around and such to promote a better structure for my upper body to rest on. I also try to stick my chest out a bit and pull my shoulder back while imagining a string at the top-back of my head holding me up.
    I love to run as fast as I can as long as I can.
    This is extremely important to me! I can't think of anything (except making a **** ton more money) that's more important to me than creating an incredibly functional body. I have just moved to the Tampa area of Florida and my next goal is to begin Insanity once my funds balance out. Please help me out.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Stats: 6'2", 230 lbs
    MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MichaelCJ has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit MichaelCJ's BodySpace
    Bench press.

Stats: 5'11", 194 lbs
    builder95 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) builder95 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) builder95 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) builder95 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) builder95 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) builder95 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) builder95 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) builder95 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) builder95 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) builder95 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) builder95 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit builder95's BodySpace
    To my knowledge there is no way to do pushups without using your chest muslces. Try doing 6 sets of 30-35 reps 3 sets with feet on a chair or platform and 3 regular sets (hands shoulder width apart) and superset each rep with bench 10-20 bench dips (until failure) This should kill your chest shoulders and triceps. One reason why you may not grow is because you may not be eating enough calories. Eat big, get big.