Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

question about the 5x5 stronglifts program please help

Workout 1:
    Squats 5x5
    Bench press (BB) 5x5
    Barbell row 5x5

Workout 2:
    Squats 5x5
    Shoulder press(barbell) 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

this program above training 3 days a week doing alternate days of workout A and workout B i just wanted to know would i be hitting all the muscles from a compound point of view i mean example would be i dont see a traps exercise does any of those exercises hit traps also what about carves or does squats hit carves?

also one other thing about this program should i be aiming to up the weight on each workout i do so example this program is 3 times a week training so do i have to up the weight on each workout? or do i only add more weight once a week?.

also im confused to why theres only 1x5 deadlift i thought deadlift was second best exercise squat being the top one so how comes its not 5x5 deadlift wouldnt that be better?.

thanks alot for any help and advice you can give me its very much appreciated.

illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Dead lifts hit traps plenty. Don't worry about calves for now.

You up the weight each workout.

Deads are 1x5 because you are doing them heavy as **** and they take a toll on your CNS and body.

jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You're only deadlifting 1x5 at WORK WEIGHT. I run the 5x5 myself and when I do deads I always do 3-4 warm up sets upping the weight each time. Trust the program. If you were deadlifting your work weight at 5x5, you wouldn't be able to get through it...you should be using enough weight to basically test and break your 5RM. The 5x5 is based around progressive overload.

superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) superdes21 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    thanks guys much appreciated never knew deadlift also hit the traps i will continue the workout as it says and i dont need to worry about carves then? or should i add in some curve raises while doing sqauts and it it a kind of super set?

and should i be trying to add around 2.5kg aka 5lb to each exercise everytime i workout so three times a week i up the weight on each exercise?.

what happens if i hit a wall and it gets to the point where i cant do a 5 rep on an exercise because it becomes to heavy do i just go back to the last weighted workout where i got 5 reps and do that weight again until i can up the weight further? or should i just do as many reps as i can of the new weight until it gets to the point where i can hit 5 of them then up it?

i'm wondering this cause adding weight to each exercise 3 times a week the weight is gonna become pretty heavy pretty fast which sounds great but can the muscles really adapt and strengthen that fast?

illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50) illfreshfly will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just do calves at the end of the workout if you really want to. I would much sooner add dips and pull ups though.

And yes you add 5 pounds after you successfully complete an exercise so one week of squats would look like: 100 105 110
    But Bench would look like 100 (no Bench) 105

If you don't hit the required reps 3 times in a row drop the weight by about 10% and work back up.

jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10) jmariano is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by superdes21 View Post
    thanks guys much appreciated never knew deadlift also hit the traps i will continue the workout as it says and i dont need to worry about carves then? or should i add in some curve raises while doing sqauts and it it a kind of super set?

and should i be trying to add around 2.5kg aka 5lb to each exercise everytime i workout so three times a week i up the weight on each exercise?.

what happens if i hit a wall and it gets to the point where i cant do a 5 rep on an exercise because it becomes to heavy do i just go back to the last weighted workout where i got 5 reps and do that weight again until i can up the weight further? or should i just do as many reps as i can of the new weight until it gets to the point where i can hit 5 of them then up it?

i'm wondering this cause adding weight to each exercise 3 times a week the weight is gonna become pretty heavy pretty fast which sounds great but can the muscles really adapt and strengthen that fast?
    If SL is too little volume for you, run the ICF 5x5. It has accessory exercises built into it at 3x8, while the SL/SS only encompasses compound movements. Additional calf work is not needed. If you're running the program right and lifting heavy your calves should be getting worked just fine through deadlifts and squats. Calf raises are stubborn exercises anyway. They require a high rep range to be effective, and will most definitely get in the way of your progressing with your deads and squats.

It will get heavy, and you most definitely will fail, probably in the beginning. Once your body adjusts and your nutrition is right, you'll make serious strength gains ridiculously fast.

i see thank you all so much its much appreciated i will just skip carves then if there getting hit in deadlift and squats as for biceps is the only exercise hitting them bent over rows? and if so woodnt one arm rows or reverse grip lat pulldowns be better? i would say chinups except i cant lift my full body weight yet so in the meantime isnt reverse grip lat pulldowns more effective than bent over rows?

Originally Posted by superdes21 View Post
    i see thank you all so much its much appreciated i will just skip carves then if there getting hit in deadlift and squats as for biceps is the only exercise hitting them bent over rows? and if so woodnt one arm rows or reverse grip lat pulldowns be better? i would say chinups except i cant lift my full body weight yet so in the meantime isnt reverse grip lat pulldowns more effective than bent over rows?
    Just do it as written bro. Srs. You don't need to worry about biceps when your entire body is one big weak point right now.

wouldnt exactly say my body is weak to be honest been doing mainly heavy lifts been exercising bout 10 months now i did take up and did the mike o hearn power body building which was ok i actully perfer heavy lifting altho in that program i was only hitting each muscle once a week and i heard hitting them more means more gains i still have around 80 pounds left to lose to reach my goal weight but i do have my diet in check i just wanted to find a program that i could stick to which is hard and intense but at the same time doesnt leave me having to stay in the gym for 2-3 hours lifting which in itself i heard testoserone starts to drop after the first hour so i was looking for some real hard intensity workout that will make me stronger but at the same time burn fat and get me more solid still ive seen some guys in the gym who only end up working say upper body and skip legs and they look Disproportioned ive also seen a few guys in the gym that do no shoulder work which you can tell because they got big arms and chest but no shoulders or traps.

so im just looking for an overall rounded compound program that is hard and intense as hell that will give me good gains of strength mass while losing fat also i'd like to keep well proportioned and this program seems and sounds really good for that i think i just wanted to make sure im hitting each muscle so i dont end up looking wierd also wanted an intense program that wont keep me in the gym for hours on end so overall i think this program feels right for me i just wanted to find out a few things from experienced people cause i am still pretty new to lifting but i do love it.

one other thing i would like to add in i generally train early mornings i am doing intermittent fasting which also is good for burning more fat given how i train in fasted state i do 16 hour fast 8 hour eating window so i train 5-730am usally well that was with my old program i did altho with this program i think i will get finished in half that time so i'm also wondering for this program given the intensity of it will this be even better and burn even more fat training hard in fasted state or am i gimping myself by training fasted?