Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Running has been the best cure for my depression (srs thread)

I've always hated cardio. I've been a cigarette smoker for the past 2 years, have asthma, and for a long time carried quite a bit of body fat that didn't help. I remember thinking how stupid running is, watching the anorexic looking runners in the Boston Marathon and wondering why they torture themselves to that degree. Sure, lifting is painful and involves a lot of struggle, but not quite like running for hours on end. A month ago I went to the doctor to treat my clinical depression, and though the meds helped I still didn't feel motivated to really do.. anything. I ended up getting a new job which helped distract my woeful thoughts, though I knew I needed a hobby of some sort to really get me feeling better both physically and mentally.

I went through quite a period of self-discovery during what was probably the lowest point of my short 21 years. While unemployed I had plenty of time on my hands -- time I'd have usually spent on the computer or playing videogames -- but instead I decided to start reading. First I went through the self-help books, which I'm not ashamed to admit helped me quite a bit in their own right. Then I wanted to read something for entertainment, while subconsciously trying to discover a new hobby within a random collection of books. I went to the library one day and picked up a book called 'Born to Run'. It was so intriguing to me that not only did I finish reading it faster than any book I've read before, but when I finished all I wanted to do was go for a run.

I started out small, running a 1.75 mile trail til the end and doubling back to my car. At first I was so out of shape I couldn't even finish the 1.75 without breaking into a walk halfway through. Just right now I got home from doing 10 miles, non-stop, through Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Where most people view running as a chore, something to do to lose that spare tire, I began looking at it in an entire new light. It's become spiritual to me. Physically I've never been in better shape in this single month of running than I've been in my entire life, but more importantly than that my head is so much clearer. Something about running through the woods with a pair of shorts, shoes, and a 16oz water bottle just centers me on a whole new level. It's painful yet peaceful at the same time. I don't wake up at 5am to run a quick 4 miles because I'm training for a sport or an event, I do it simply for the love of it. Where in lifting you get unmotivated when your stuck at a certain weight, or that bodypart isn't looking any bigger, but running? It doesn't matter. I don't even think about the results when I go for a run, they just come with it afterward.

Physically, mentally, spiritually, I'm a whole new animal. Where my mind used to keep me up at night with racing thoughts, now I sleep like a baby. I wake up and can't wait to lace up my Brooks and hit the road before work. I'm at ease now and don't feel a fraction of the negativity that I had before. My mind being clearer also allows me to think better and not second-guess myself. Running has definitely 200% helped me become a much, much happier person. Just thought I'd share.

Cliffs: There is none.
    Cavs / Browns / Buckeyes / Indians

SDavenport856 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SDavenport856 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SDavenport856 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SDavenport856 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SDavenport856 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SDavenport856 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SDavenport856 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SDavenport856 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SDavenport856 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SDavenport856 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SDavenport856 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Good for you bro. I heard that book is bad ass

rocketbulk is just really nice. (+1000) rocketbulk is just really nice. (+1000) rocketbulk is just really nice. (+1000) rocketbulk is just really nice. (+1000) rocketbulk is just really nice. (+1000) rocketbulk is just really nice. (+1000) rocketbulk is just really nice. (+1000) rocketbulk is just really nice. (+1000) rocketbulk is just really nice. (+1000) rocketbulk is just really nice. (+1000) rocketbulk is just really nice. (+1000)
    i somewhat agree but chafing kills even when i use gold bond

k1ckstand is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) k1ckstand is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) k1ckstand is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) k1ckstand is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) k1ckstand is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) k1ckstand is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) k1ckstand is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) k1ckstand is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) k1ckstand is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) k1ckstand is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) k1ckstand is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    good read and good job brah

It's awesome you found something you're passionate about.

FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rocketbulk View Post
    Never had that problem again since discovering the wonderful properties of Vaseline.

Winningest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Winningest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Winningest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Winningest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Winningest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Winningest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Winningest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Winningest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Winningest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Winningest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Winningest has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    How long did it take for you to get from 1.75 miles to 10? I haven't ran since high school, tried to start up again but it feels kinda retarded running for ~15 mins before being completely gassed.

Originally Posted by Winningest View Post
    How long did it take for you to get from 1.75 miles to 10? I haven't ran since high school, tried to start up again but it feels kinda retarded running for ~15 mins before being completely gassed.
    A month. The biggest thing is pace. I used to feel as though I had to speed through a run and would end up gassing out quick. You should only run as fast as you could while holding a conversation. It might be barely a step above walking at first, but as you figure out how to run more efficiently and strengthen your leg muscles the speed will start coming.

footmenrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) footmenrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) footmenrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) footmenrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) footmenrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) footmenrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) footmenrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) footmenrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) footmenrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) footmenrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) footmenrow is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rocketbulk View Post
    they made compression clothes for a reason

"Make friends with pain, and you'll never be alone" - ken chlouber

Favorite quote in that book.

ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz ZenBowman has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by FatWhiteKid View Post
    A month. The biggest thing is pace. I used to feel as though I had to speed through a run and would end up gassing out quick. You should only run as fast as you could while holding a conversation. It might be barely a step above walking at first, but as you figure out how to run more efficiently and strengthen your leg muscles the speed will start coming.
    I think this is why you are a happy runner.

With lifting, you cared more about results than the process.
    With running, you care about the process more than about results, and the results came as a by-product.

I've noticed the same thing with jumping rope. Once I stopped counting, or trying to "push myself", it became effortless and I got better.

GJDM. IMO pushing yourself and "no pain, no gain" are way overrated. Its fine to push yourself for a test or some single event, but to do it day after day is mentally exhausting, whereas simply focusing on the process and going to 70-80% of your ability and keeping some in the tank is very rejuvenating.

I've started nasal breathing running (i.e. run only at the pace where you can breathe in nasally), I can barely run for 5 minutes breathing nasally (since I've had chronic sinus issues as a youngster, which have only recently improved due to dietary changes), but I don't feel tired at all, because I'm only going at 70% of my ability.
    When all that says 'it is good' has been debunked, what says 'I want' remains.

- CS Lewis

SuperSerial is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuperSerial is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuperSerial is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuperSerial is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuperSerial is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuperSerial is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuperSerial is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuperSerial is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuperSerial is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuperSerial is on a distinguished road. (+10) SuperSerial is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What advice would you give to someone who can't even run a mile non stop?

proteinbrah is just really nice. (+1000) proteinbrah is just really nice. (+1000) proteinbrah is just really nice. (+1000) proteinbrah is just really nice. (+1000) proteinbrah is just really nice. (+1000) proteinbrah is just really nice. (+1000) proteinbrah is just really nice. (+1000) proteinbrah is just really nice. (+1000) proteinbrah is just really nice. (+1000) proteinbrah is just really nice. (+1000) proteinbrah is just really nice. (+1000)
    I enjoy cardio now, I feel like lifting isn't enough for heart health. I just lower volume from squats and keep the weight high. I keep cardio short but taxing. I have exercise induced asthma so it's hard to push balls to the wall HIIT without having pain in my chest. feelsbadman...hopefully it improves. Also I feel very good after and sleep nicely. Never having those afternoon "depressed" states anymore is a bonus.

SrslyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) SrslyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) SrslyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) SrslyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) SrslyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) SrslyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) SrslyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) SrslyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) SrslyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) SrslyBrah is just really nice. (+1000) SrslyBrah is just really nice. (+1000)
    Vaseline and pantyhose.

Yeah I said it.... and?

Originally Posted by SuperSerial View Post
    What advice would you give to someone who can't even run a mile non stop?
    Id suggest reading this book for starters, as it has completely reshaped the idea of running in my mind. Eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, good nutritious carbs that don't try to burble up when running. I also started running barefoot on grass to build up my feet muscles and overall reduce injury. Then all you can do is pace yourself, don't expect anything and you will continuously surprise yourself. When you keep your heartbeat low you run off fat supply mostly as opposed to sugar if your heartbeat is too high. You have enough carbs to run for days. As caballo blanco says- easy, Light, smooth, and fast. Once you learn how to run without over exertion, feeling light on your feet, being smooth, then the 'fast' part will follow.

Be careful running barefoot though, you really have to ease in to it. I do it only on grass, then throw on the brooks and hit the trails. there's a big section in the book about how running shoes make our feet week and actually contribute to more injuries.
    Last edited by FatWhiteKid; 05-30-2012 at 06:37 PM.

SwayWay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwayWay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwayWay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwayWay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwayWay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwayWay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwayWay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwayWay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwayWay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwayWay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SwayWay is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    running actually triggers neurogenisis in the brain so not surprised. good job op.

r3pme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) r3pme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) r3pme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) r3pme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) r3pme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) r3pme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) r3pme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) r3pme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) r3pme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) r3pme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) r3pme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i started to pick up running as well, nothing better than being able to enjoy the outdoors while bettering yourself physically and mentally. reps on r/c.
    Reps to LEO and military brahs on sight.

CAManlet is just really nice. (+1000) CAManlet is just really nice. (+1000) CAManlet is just really nice. (+1000) CAManlet is just really nice. (+1000) CAManlet is just really nice. (+1000) CAManlet is just really nice. (+1000) CAManlet is just really nice. (+1000) CAManlet is just really nice. (+1000) CAManlet is just really nice. (+1000) CAManlet is just really nice. (+1000) CAManlet is just really nice. (+1000)
    reps all day for you brotha. currently finishing born to run.

in the past 1.5 months, ive ran a 5k, 10k, and half marathon (finished in 1:53, 8:33 pace). BRO wait till you do a race, such a great high! do it and let me know how it goes. even it its just a 5k.
    USMC 2003-2009
    Echo Five Whiskey

Bench: 255(1RM)
    Squats: 315 (1RM)
    Deadlift: 335 (4 REPS)

Not actually named untz. mynameisuntz's Avatar
    mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mynameisuntz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Philosophically speaking, I think a major reason for this is because of the "alone time" running provides. It's time for you to be with yourself, no distractions, simply thinking about whatever may be on your mind. Same reason people fish, or hunt, or sew, etc. - it's simply something people can do to take time out of their day and reflect. If someone were to hunt solely with the intention of killing a deer, they would stop after the first session. Same for fishing. Same for sewing a quilt. There's a higher appeal to these activities, where the "end result" is not really the focus but rather the process of the act itself.

It is meditation.
    All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.

Originally Posted by CAManlet View Post
    reps all day for you brotha. currently finishing born to run.

in the past 1.5 months, ive ran a 5k, 10k, and half marathon (finished in 1:53, 8:33 pace). BRO wait till you do a race, such a great high! do it and let me know how it goes. even it its just a 5k.
    Yeah I've been looking in to doing some races this year. There's a marathon in September I'd really like to do, though I may be living in Texas then so I'm not sure. But I'm definitely going to do some.

rbb1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbb1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbb1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbb1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbb1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbb1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbb1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbb1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbb1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbb1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbb1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Gjdm. Running & cardio definitely release some good chemicals. Great when your at a low point.

I saw an interview with Frank Bruno not long ago, where he was asked about his mental breakdown, and how he coped now. The main activity he listed as helping him keep on level every day was using his treadmill. He said as long as he got his session in every day he felt totally focused and in control.

JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good to hear your success story. Wish I could get into running hardcore. Maybe I'll check out that book sometime
    Repping Metroins for life
    **TEAM REDRAIDER86**
    MMFC Crew
    ASOT Crew

Originally Posted by JeannetteEmigh View Post
    Good to hear your success story. Wish I could get into running hardcore. Maybe I'll check out that book sometime
    Do it. Even if it doesn't strike you like it has me, at least it was a good break from reading the dumb bull**** spewed everywhere on the Misc.

healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500)
    Agreed OP, running is great for calming you down/improving your mood. Have you tried HIIT? Great for increasing your endurance.
    **Six pack for 2013 Crew**
    *Too self conscious to dance in clubs Crew*
    *Family uses me as a coat hanger Crew*
    ****SCARED TO USE CREATINE BECAUSE IT RAISES DHT CREW****
    ~~~*SCARED THAT CREATINE WILL MAKE ME GO BALD CREW**
    *WASTED A TON ON MONEY ON THAT CHIT CREW*
    *No more procrastination, I'm done with that Crew*
    *Positive Crew*

Originally Posted by healthybrah View Post
    Agreed OP, running is great for calming you down/improving your mood. Have you tried HIIT? Great for increasing your endurance.
    I do barefoot sprints kind of in a HIIT fashion. I'm not really concerned about training my endurance up in any other fashion than just running long distances really. At the rate I'm going I'll be knocking out marathons in a couple months. Maybe an ultra next year, who knows? Sky is the limit.

eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) eskyhoneybeev2 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    nice OP, did you have anxiety too? I think i need to get into this as well as i heard cardio helps anxiety. Just last night i couldnt sleep because i was so anxious about my heart rate for no reason at all.

Originally Posted by eskyhoneybeev2 View Post
    nice OP, did you have anxiety too? I think i need to get into this as well as i heard cardio helps anxiety. Just last night i couldnt sleep because i was so anxious about my heart rate for no reason at all.
    Yeah I had bad anxiety. At the worst of it, I'd often have my face blush intensely for no reason. Hasn't happened since. Matter of fact, I really don't get rattled by anything anymore. Some credit may be due to those self-help books I mentioned.

healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500) healthybrah is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by FatWhiteKid View Post
    I do barefoot sprints kind of in a HIIT fashion. I'm not really concerned about training my endurance up in any other fashion than just running long distances really. At the rate I'm going I'll be knocking out marathons in a couple months. Maybe an ultra next year, who knows? Sky is the limit.
    HIIT is probably the best thing you can do for helping you run long distances (srs)
    **Six pack for 2013 Crew**
    *Too self conscious to dance in clubs Crew*
    *Family uses me as a coat hanger Crew*
    ****SCARED TO USE CREATINE BECAUSE IT RAISES DHT CREW****
    ~~~*SCARED THAT CREATINE WILL MAKE ME GO BALD CREW**
    *WASTED A TON ON MONEY ON THAT CHIT CREW*
    *No more procrastination, I'm done with that Crew*
    *Positive Crew*

Khuramb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Khuramb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Khuramb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Khuramb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Khuramb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Khuramb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Khuramb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Khuramb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Khuramb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Khuramb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Khuramb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Gjdm op, im going to have to get the book now
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

Originally Posted by healthybrah View Post
    HIIT is probably the best thing you can do for helping you run long distances (srs)
    I don't run to get better at running, I do it to get better at living.

YIAMSOMEBODY has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) YIAMSOMEBODY has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) YIAMSOMEBODY has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) YIAMSOMEBODY has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) YIAMSOMEBODY has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) YIAMSOMEBODY has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) YIAMSOMEBODY has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) YIAMSOMEBODY has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) YIAMSOMEBODY has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) YIAMSOMEBODY has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) YIAMSOMEBODY has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good on you sir, good on you.

Keep it up brah, I love you.
    "ERMUHGAWD Crew"
    "ERMUHGAW LOL...."
    "Oh you, ERMUHGAWD!"