sk2410 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

PSMF Diet - thoughts

Hey All,

firstly i know that I will get slated of by some people on here for posting this but i just want some guidance and advice.

I will start off by saying that I havent read the book yet so if someone has an e-copy they would like to send me that would be awesome.

Anyways back to a little bit about me:

Male, 28, 5'6", current weight is 172lbs unfortunately i have a major "spare tyre" in my mid-section that no matter what ive done i just cannot get rid off and hence I want to try this.

Background info on me - ever since I was young I was always overweight - i ultimately ballooned to 230lbs a couple of years ago before I decided i need to make some changes. I joined the gym and initially went on a drastic diet (slim-fast) for 2 meals a day and one meal a day and dropped down to 152lbs in 2011. Due to work I have been really bad this year and have managed to put on 20lbs in the past 7 months or so and unfortunately this has mostly been added to my tummy.

The reason I have decided to try the PSMF route is that judging from my previous experience I only tend to stick with weight loss and workout sessions if I start off at a drastic level. Ps I have still maintained working out since my weight loss but again it has not been as much as I used to due to work, however I still manage 3 cardio sessions with light weight training a week at the gym. Despite watching what I eat, and going to the gym this weight just doesnt seem to come off and hence I have decided to try this route.

My plan is basically as follows:

Breakfast - protein shake (98.3 call per scoop) with water
    10:30AM - protein shake with water
    Lunch - protein shake with water
    Afternoon snack - protein shake with water
    Dinner - grilled chicken/fish/some form of meat with a handful of veg - most likely peppers and lettuce.
    I am also going to be taking a multivit and 9 fish oil caps.

I know this may seem a little drastic, but I aim to have one "free meal" a week and a refeed on the weekend most likely on saturday.

I would love to hear other people's guidance/experience on this and any tips anyone may have to share.

I would ultimately like to get my weight down to 145-150 lbs over the next 3 months or so and plan on doing 2 weeks on the diet with 1 week off (my off week will still be at a deficit and the protein shakes will most likely be replaced with healthy foods - again high in protein - but with a low amount of carbs).

i will post some pics up later this evening.

samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by sk2410 View Post
    Hey All,

firstly i know that I will get slated of by some people on here for posting this but i just want some guidance and advice.

I will start off by saying that I havent read the book yet so if someone has an e-copy they would like to send me that would be awesome.

Anyways back to a little bit about me:

Male, 28, 5'6", current weight is 172lbs unfortunately i have a major "spare tyre" in my mid-section that no matter what ive done i just cannot get rid off and hence I want to try this.

Background info on me - ever since I was young I was always overweight - i ultimately ballooned to 230lbs a couple of years ago before I decided i need to make some changes. I joined the gym and initially went on a drastic diet (slim-fast) for 2 meals a day and one meal a day and dropped down to 152lbs in 2011. Due to work I have been really bad this year and have managed to put on 20lbs in the past 7 months or so and unfortunately this has mostly been added to my tummy.

The reason I have decided to try the PSMF route is that judging from my previous experience I only tend to stick with weight loss and workout sessions if I start off at a drastic level. Ps I have still maintained working out since my weight loss but again it has not been as much as I used to due to work, however I still manage 3 cardio sessions with light weight training a week at the gym. Despite watching what I eat, and going to the gym this weight just doesnt seem to come off and hence I have decided to try this route.

My plan is basically as follows:

Breakfast - protein shake (98.3 call per scoop) with water
    10:30AM - protein shake with water
    Lunch - protein shake with water
    Afternoon snack - protein shake with water
    Dinner - grilled chicken/fish/some form of meat with a handful of veg - most likely peppers and lettuce.
    I am also going to be taking a multivit and 9 fish oil caps.

I know this may seem a little drastic, but I aim to have one "free meal" a week and a refeed on the weekend most likely on saturday.

I would love to hear other people's guidance/experience on this and any tips anyone may have to share.

I would ultimately like to get my weight down to 145-150 lbs over the next 3 months or so and plan on doing 2 weeks on the diet with 1 week off (my off week will still be at a deficit and the protein shakes will most likely be replaced with healthy foods - again high in protein - but with a low amount of carbs).

i will post some pics up later this evening.
    you sorta have the right idea but you're taking way too many protein shakes imo. substitue some lean turkey, fish, chiken, or egg whites instead of so many shakes. also lyle reccomends eating as many fibrous veggies as you want (broccoli,asparagus, cucumbers, spinach salads etc). this will add voume and peace of mind to your meals.

the only protein i used on it was casein to make some protein sludge dessert

buckiaj is just really nice. (+1000) buckiaj is just really nice. (+1000) buckiaj is just really nice. (+1000) buckiaj is just really nice. (+1000) buckiaj is just really nice. (+1000) buckiaj is just really nice. (+1000) buckiaj is just really nice. (+1000) buckiaj is just really nice. (+1000) buckiaj is just really nice. (+1000) buckiaj is just really nice. (+1000) buckiaj is just really nice. (+1000)
    waaaaaaaaaaaay too many protein shakes broseph.

Ideally, if you are doing PSMF, you should try and aim to have ZERO shakes. All of your calories should come from real food since you are consuming so few calories.

Basically, 1000 calories of chicken/tuna/eggs/veggies will fill you up a lot more than 1000 calories of whey.

Thanks for the tips.

So ideally I should aim to reduce the shakes to maybe 3 a day and have real solid food for 3 meals I take it? I'm thinking eggs for breakfast, tuna for lunch with lettuce and chicken or dinner with lettuce? Would that be a better source - my only concern with that though would be the calories I'm consuming would they not exceed the 800 - 1000 calorie daily limit?

What about workouts? I'm thinking of going with the workouts posted in the noobs thread - 3 days of light training thrown in with some cardio for good measure.

nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000) nlite2000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    read the book.
    Don't Drink, Don't Smoke, Watdo you do?
    -----CUT STACK---
    GROUND BEEF
    WHITE BREAD
    CHICKEN
    2% MILK
    BROCCOLI
    LOW FAT ICE CREAM
    THOSE YOGURTS WITH THE CANDY THING ON TOP
    SUGAR FREE JELL-O
    FIBER ONE GRANOLA BARS
    APPLES
    ORANGES
    PICKLES
    COFFEE
    MARLBORO 100's
    MORE COFFEE
    ------------------------------

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Everything you're asking is in the book. It's available online from Lyle's site. Don't steal it, buy it. And don't modify it. It's very specific, it was designed and optimized by a very smart guy, and anything you do to modify it will make it less effective.

What you're saying about drastic measures working better is nonsense. If it "worked", you wouldn't be overweight right now.

What you should have learned from your Slim Fast experience is that you must find a long term sustainable plan, one that stands up to disruptions like work, family, etc. If you don't, weight lost from PSMF will come back just like weight lost to Slim Fast.

Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    Everything you're asking is in the book. It's available online from Lyle's site. Don't steal it, buy it. And don't modify it. It's very specific, it was designed and optimized by a very smart guy, and anything you do to modify it will make it less effective.

What you're saying about drastic measures working better is nonsense. If it "worked", you wouldn't be overweight right now.

What you should have learned from your Slim Fast experience is that you must find a long term sustainable plan, one that stands up to disruptions like work, family, etc. If you don't, weight lost from PSMF will come back just like weight lost to Slim Fast.
    I only used the slim fast to kick start things which is what I want to do with PSMF... Considering I've kept the best part of 60 off lbs of by making lifestyle changes surely counts for something...

I'm only asking for a couple of pointers from other people who may have been in a similar place and used PSMF as a starting point... The only reason I want some quick results is that I have done tailor made clothes that I've gotta fit into in 5 weeks time and conventional methods won't cut it - the clothes fit but would look better without the "spare tyre" I'm lugging around...

so day 4 in and im down to 165.7 lbs (it was 167.7 but i was all dressed for work so i knocked off 2 lbs)...

i want to aim to get down to 145 - 150 by 7th July...

after the first couple of days my hunger has sorta died down - except in the mornings when im super hungry and everyone is eating stuff around me at work - but ive held strong... another 5 weeks to go with a break for a few days in between...

SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000) SleeperService is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    This. Absolutely this.
    Squat (noun) A means of helping men understand what it feels like to give birth.

Originally Posted by SleeperService View Post
    This. Absolutely this.
    thanks for the reply. Like I said im going to use PSMF to get back into the rhythm of things and use it as a kickstart - I did the same with Slimfast and that got me on the road to dropping a shedload (around 70lbs) - the bulk of which (around 50lbs) I have still managed to keep off.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sk2410 View Post
    Thanks for the tips.

So ideally I should aim to reduce the shakes to maybe 3 a day and have real solid food for 3 meals I take it? .
    No. 0 shakes
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    No. 0 shakes
    i did take on board the advice I've received and am on only one shake a day - im trying as much as possible to get my proteins from natural/real food sources...

Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    PSMF is physiologically possible for short periods of time. However, the vast majority of people who do it here fail. I recommend you learn a sustainable diet plan and be a bit more patient.
    My Reverse Diet Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153750981&p=1077733831#post1077733831

Read the f***** stickies. justmightbecraz's Avatar
    justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50) justmightbecraz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    PSMF is one of those things that I'd only suggest to someone over 40% BF that wants to get a running start on their weight loss, then switch to a more sustainable diet. Kinda like training wheels that fall off of the bicycle once you get going. I really consider it to be in the same category as other crash diets like the Sacred Heart diet used for the morbidly obese prior to heart surgery.
    USMC Veteran 2000-2005

Personal
    Responsibility
    In
    Daily
    Efforts

Oct-2011: 340 lbs. ~45% BF Start 1st Cut
    Apr-2012: 263 lbs. ~32% BF
    Oct-2012: 215 lbs. ~23% BF End 1st Cut, Start 1st Bulk

arossy7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face General diet questions?

General questions here: In the one meal plan I was reviewing it said, to take a K-Dur multiple vitamin. What is that?

One more: how many fish oil pills are recommended on a daily basis. Im not a body builder or trying to get to that level, trying to loose a little extra weight while working out and maintaining weight watchers diet, im giving myself a jump start with this. Going to try a week at a time and see what happens. Someone please advise