n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

"Shortcut to Size": Short on Compounds?

I was looking into an all (or mostly) compound movements workout since 3 months ago I hadn't been in the gym since the Army (about 4yrs); I'm not having a lot of luck. I know how to lift, and beginner workouts are denying me lifts I know how to do. I really like Jim Stoppani's "Shortcut to Size" routine! I like most of his recommended supplements, and the entire workout is really well organized. I especially like the specificity included in each segment of his program, right down to the daily meal plans and workout playlists.

I'm wondering, though, if this program would be the best for my athletic goals. I am currently 5'11", 203lbs @ about 22% Body Fat. I'm making gains in the gym just lifting and eating, although I've been very inconsistent (My daily calories have ranged from 1500 [or less] up to 2500). But, I want to make all KINDS of gains! I'm thinking of bulking, because I'm concerned that if I cut I'll end up with much less muscle (and I don't have a ton of it). I'd really like to be around the same size (or bigger), more muscle, and maybe 17% Body Fat by Fall. Unrealistic?

What do you all think? Does Shortcut to Size seem to favor isolation exercises over compounds? Is that a problem, or am I not seeing the big picture? Would it be a good program for my goals (neither pure cut nor pure bulk)?

notmike
    Last edited by n0tmike; 05-27-2012 at 12:11 PM.

jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    So, which stickies have you read?
    The more that you read, the more things you'll know.
    The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149723023

n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) n0tmike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jammyo40 View Post
    So, which stickies have you read?
    Beginner workout, why nobody is critiquing your workout, Kris' workout videos; about half. I gather that you're suggesting I go by "Routines and Advice?" I've basically been doing a workout like the ones mentioned for the last 3 months. I guess I was just looking for something a bit more taxing, maybe?
    Last edited by n0tmike; 05-27-2012 at 12:30 PM.

jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The key is to pick a program appropriate for your goals and experience and stick with it. Also, your inconsistent diet will slow or eventually stop all progress, regardless of your program. Read the said sticky you mentioned as well as some of the ones in the Nutrition section.
    The more that you read, the more things you'll know.
    The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149723023

Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by n0tmike View Post
    Beginner workout, why nobody is critiquing your workout, Kris' workout videos; about half. I gather that you're suggesting I go by "Routines and Advice?" I've basically been doing a workout like the ones mentioned for the last 3 months. I guess I was just looking for something a bit more taxing, maybe?
    Starting strength is all compounds and extremely taxing.

Why not ss?
    My log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147800823&p=941910683#post941910683

PSN ID: I_M-th3-b3ast

Playing Skyrim

Originally Posted by Sinaku5 View Post
    Starting strength is all compounds and extremely taxing.

Why not ss?
    I hadn't heard of it. Do you mean the Mark Rippetoe book?

Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sinaku5 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I hadn't heard of it. Do you mean the Mark Rippetoe book?
    Starting strength is a routine.

Mark ripptoe did create the routine and does have a book on it yes.

It sounds like exactly what ur looking for.

Buy starting strength from amazon.com and thank me later.
    My log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147800823&p=941910683#post941910683

PSN ID: I_M-th3-b3ast

Playing Skyrim

Originally Posted by Sinaku5 View Post
    Starting strength is a routine.

Mark ripptoe did create the routine and does have a book on it yes.

It sounds like exactly what ur looking for.

Buy starting strength from amazon.com and thank me later.
    Thanks!

somairalam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) somairalam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) somairalam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) somairalam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) somairalam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) somairalam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) somairalam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) somairalam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) somairalam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) somairalam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) somairalam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was looking into an all (or mostly) compound movements workout since 3 months ago I hadn't been in the gym since the Army (about 4yrs); I'm not having a lot of luck. I know how to lift, and beginner workouts are denying me lifts I know how to do. I really like Jim Stoppani's "Shortcut to Size" routine! I like most of his recommended supplements, and the entire workout is really well organized. I especially like the specificity included in each segment of his program, right down to the daily meal plans and workout playlists.

I'm wondering, though, if this program would be the best for my athletic goals. I am currently 5'11", 203lbs @ about 22% Body Fat. I'm making gains in the gym just lifting and eating, although I've been very inconsistent (My daily calories have ranged from 1500 [or less] up to 2500). But, I want to make all KINDS of gains! I'm thinking of bulking, because I'm concerned that if I cut I'll end up with much less muscle (and I don't have a ton of it). I'd really like to be around the same size (or bigger), more muscle, and maybe 17% Body Fat by Fall. Unrealistic?

What do you all think? Does Shortcut to Size seem to favor isolation exercises over compounds? Is that a problem, or am I not seeing the big picture? Would it be a good program for my goals (neither pure cut nor pure bulk)?

notmike
    Go for Fierce 5 program.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ****iralam View Post
    Go for Fierce 5 program.
    Go for the dont respond to 4 year old threads program.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    Go for the dont respond to 4 year old threads program.
    Tbh, The op returned to his own thread and replied 4 years later..
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    Tbh, The op returned to his own thread and replied 4 years later..
    ha!

wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000) wowter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks!
    Now I'm curious. Did you end up doing SS? How did it work out for you?