benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Strongmen: what do you do for shoulders?

Hey guys, I'm trying to make the transition into strongman style training, and was wondering what you guys do for shoulder strength. I'm well accustomed to normal presses...but I didn't know I'd there were any specialty movements that you'd recommend. I have a keg half filled with water, sandbags, chains, tires, hammer, ropes, sleds, FW bars, and plenty of weights....just need a few pointers on what you guys would do.

Thanks!

Colby
    I put the laughter in manslaughter!!! Just got off of a 100 lb. cut and a 55 lb. bulk. ALL TIME best: Bench: 505 Squat: 600 DL: 680 Arm circum. 19"

SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    dumbbell press, log press, viking press
    ***Georgia Crew***

Paler than Chalk GuinnessStrong's Avatar
    GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000) GuinnessStrong is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Normally you just make shoulder strength a focal point in your training. Then once you pick a competition you train the hell put of that exact event whether it's split jerks for max singles or DB medleys etc. I'd start with 5s or 3s then work to the single the closer the competition date gets.
    445/365/525

benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50) benchjock will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SPFjudge View Post
    dumbbell press, log press, viking press
    I don't have a log to press, could the keg be substituted if turned onto its side? I'm not sure I know what a Viking press is...
    I put the laughter in manslaughter!!! Just got off of a 100 lb. cut and a 55 lb. bulk. ALL TIME best: Bench: 505 Squat: 600 DL: 680 Arm circum. 19"

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The main thing is change your training focus. The effort you put into that 470# bench needs to switch to overhead pressing. A strong strict press carries over good into all other forms of overhead events. There are quite a few top strongmen in Texas so you might be able to find a crew fairly close to you.

Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    The main thing is change your training focus. The effort you put into that 470# bench needs to switch to overhead pressing. A strong strict press carries over good into all other forms of overhead events. There are quite a few top strongmen in Texas so you might be able to find a crew fairly close to you.
    I agree completely. In the last few months I've changed everything in my routine. I've bought and made all the strongman stuff I can, I've altered my diet, and I've been talking to some people about getting it started. Now it's just a matter of learning the ropes and progressing.

WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    learn how to jerk
    Bryan

Captain of the Comeback Train

Comeback Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159651791

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/STRONGMANbarry/videos

Intense as fuk bro austin.j.taylor's Avatar
    austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Press a few times a week and bench only as assistance work to your pressing. I like to switch off weekly between log and axle, with a second session of strict pressing. I use floor press and cgbp as my assistance for my main pressing.
    ★cVc★

My Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174578931

dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    way less benching, more strict and push pressing, do barbell if you dont have a log....also standing one arm DB presses

Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shnappley will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sorry to sort of hijack, but: What is the main difference in working with an axle when compared to a regular barbell? Could someone/I just toss fat gripz (or similar) onto a regular bar to mimic the thicker grip of the axle, or is it more about bar whip?
    "If I am not pleased with myself, but should wish to be other than I am, why should I think highly of the influences which have made me what I am?" ~John Lancaster Spalding

csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Shnappley View Post
    Sorry to sort of hijack, but: What is the main difference in working with an axle when compared to a regular barbell? Could someone/I just toss fat gripz (or similar) onto a regular bar to mimic the thicker grip of the axle, or is it more about bar whip?
    Only if you are pressing out of a rack or doing pulls. Any type of clean with fat grips is not going top work. You can make an axle from things at your local hardware store for less than the fat gripz cost so there is really no reason not to have an axle.

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by benchjock View Post
    Hey guys, I'm trying to make the transition into strongman style training, and was wondering what you guys do for shoulder strength. I'm well accustomed to normal presses...but I didn't know I'd there were any specialty movements that you'd recommend. I have a keg half filled with water, sandbags, chains, tires, hammer, ropes, sleds, FW bars, and plenty of weights....just need a few pointers on what you guys would do.
    As others have mentioned there are a few gym lifts that will provide good carryover to your overhead pressing with strongman implements. These lifts include incline bench, strict press, and push press. It is also important to have good 'leg drive' (timing/technique/strength), and to be comfortable with the implements.

If you are training for strongman without a specific contest in your sights then I would do a mix of Axle Clean & Press, Log Clean & Press, and Thick Handle DB Clean & Press (can use a Fat Gripz on the DB). Cleaning the implements will help you to simulate contest conditions and almost every contest has one of these three implements.

Good luck with your training.
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs