Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up The Herbalism discussion thread

If there is enough interest in the various herbs relevant to bodybuilding supplementation I will consider doing a detailed thread. I am a lay herbalist and it has been awhile since I studied this. I did a fair amount of reading up on this before in contact with certified herbalists. It has been a long standing interest of mine. The nitty-gritty details of herbs can be discussed. Each herb category: Circulation, focus, etc will have the relevant herbs presented as well as the synergistic admixtures if that is desired. it will take a lot of work applying my own knowledge and ensuring the research links are legitimate. But if there is enough interest I can answer questions and provide an orthodox study and Q & A thread. I would update it periodically as time permits and interest continues. Also those who have knowledge and share and help others understand herbs in this thread will get my rep.
    If you are suffering from serious medical concerns please be sure to check with your doctor.

My name is Mark.

Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Forge3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I honestly have a hard time believing nobody in the misc is interested in this topic.
    If you are suffering from serious medical concerns please be sure to check with your doctor.

My name is Mark.

r3zzor is just really nice. (+1000) r3zzor is just really nice. (+1000) r3zzor is just really nice. (+1000) r3zzor is just really nice. (+1000) r3zzor is just really nice. (+1000) r3zzor is just really nice. (+1000) r3zzor is just really nice. (+1000) r3zzor is just really nice. (+1000) r3zzor is just really nice. (+1000) r3zzor is just really nice. (+1000) r3zzor is just really nice. (+1000)
    Extract= mixture of constituents (active + inactive). Often not known which constituents contribute to the activity. For example a plant might be crushed up and the liquid extracted from it with no knowlege of the constituents in it and sold as an EXTRACT

Standardisation=Defining minimum amounts of one or a group of constituents in the extract. Sometimes, defining maximum amounts of an unwanted constituent or group of constituents.

Quantified extracts
    Standardised to constituent(s) which contribute to the activity, but which may not solely be responsible for the therapeutic effect.
    Special quantified extracts = special extraction process used so that defined ranges of constituents are obtained.
    Increased %tage of constituents contributing to the activity. Reduced %tage of unwanted compounds.

Other extracts
    Generally accepted to be active. But constituents responsible for activity are not known.
    Standardised to constituent(s) of unknown pharmacological relevance ( key constituents easily identifiable and typical of the plant = quality markers).

The best thing to look out for in any herbal product you buy is a STANDARDISED EXTRACT if possible.
    Ginger for circulations, ephedra herb for circulation and increased metabolism. Just finished a class on herbal medicines so I have a fairly good knowlege. As for the actual compounds that work there arent too many I know - it was herbal medicines I studied which included mainly plants for healing conditions from arthritis to gout and more. Ephedra raises metabolism and aids the respiratory and circulatory system in smaller doses, bodybuilders use in higher doses for metabolism effects, ginger, garlic all have effects on circulation - garlic reduces blood pressure. Some others I may be able to tell you. Yoimbine as a stimulator
    Last edited by r3zzor; 05-19-2012 at 02:55 PM.

MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MinisterOfLust has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In on serious thread, Srs
    🎄Mods changed my sig. ™Copyright ©2003 - 2005- 2017. All Rights Reserved. Uncle penis™ is a registered trademark of MinisterOfLust.

Originally Posted by r3zzor View Post
    Extract= mixture of constituents (active + inactive). Often not known which constituents contribute to the activity. For example a plant might be crushed up and the liquid extracted from it with no knowlege of the constituents in it and sold as an EXTRACT

Standardisation=Defining minimum amounts of one or a group of constituents in the extract. Sometimes, defining maximum amounts of an unwanted constituent or group of constituents.

Quantified extracts
    Standardised to constituent(s) which contribute to the activity, but which may not solely be responsible for the therapeutic effect.
    Special quantified extracts = special extraction process used so that defined ranges of constituents are obtained.
    Increased %tage of constituents contributing to the activity. Reduced %tage of unwanted compounds.

Other extracts
    Generally accepted to be active. But constituents responsible for activity are not known.
    Standardised to constituent(s) of unknown pharmacological relevance ( key constituents easily identifiable and typical of the plant = quality markers).

The best thing to look out for in any herbal product you buy is a STANDARDISED EXTRACT if possible.
    Ginger for circulations, ephedra herb for circulation and increased metabolism. Just finished a class on herbal medicines so I have a fairly good knowlege.
    Thanks for that. I used tinctures for a long time and just add them to soups or protein shakes. Depending on your goals then the specific herbs are selected to assist.

My name is Mark.

iLiftAllNatty is just really nice. (+1000) iLiftAllNatty is just really nice. (+1000) iLiftAllNatty is just really nice. (+1000) iLiftAllNatty is just really nice. (+1000) iLiftAllNatty is just really nice. (+1000) iLiftAllNatty is just really nice. (+1000) iLiftAllNatty is just really nice. (+1000) iLiftAllNatty is just really nice. (+1000) iLiftAllNatty is just really nice. (+1000) iLiftAllNatty is just really nice. (+1000) iLiftAllNatty is just really nice. (+1000)
    In2contributelater
    ***MISC Strength Crew***

**MISC LIFTING CREW**

SteinIdar is just really nice. (+1000) SteinIdar is just really nice. (+1000) SteinIdar is just really nice. (+1000) SteinIdar is just really nice. (+1000) SteinIdar is just really nice. (+1000) SteinIdar is just really nice. (+1000) SteinIdar is just really nice. (+1000) SteinIdar is just really nice. (+1000) SteinIdar is just really nice. (+1000) SteinIdar is just really nice. (+1000) SteinIdar is just really nice. (+1000)
    Last edited by SteinIdar; 05-19-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Jagd24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jagd24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jagd24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jagd24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jagd24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jagd24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jagd24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jagd24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jagd24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jagd24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Jagd24 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So what herbs do you use/take/add to your daily life OP?

Originally Posted by Jagd24 View Post
    So what herbs do you use/take/add to your daily life OP?
    Just Maca right now. Though I am thinking of getting Rhodiola Rosea as a most excellent adaptogen. They are a good synergistic mix.

My name is Mark.

QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000) QT is a name known to all. (+5000)

Will check into...

Ok. I want to keep this thread organized to make it easy for people to find and investigate topics/herbs. One idea is to start with an herb category such as Adaptogens and explore it thoroughly. Then move onto other herbs with different classifications and properties. Q & A would be restricted to the topic at hand because each herb category, pharmacodynamics, studies and other pertinent info involves a wide spectrum of research.

I invite and encourage people who have knowledge and practical experience of herbs to help provide additional support and feedback.T he properties and purported value of various herbs will be emphasized. Yet science is also about testing date (trial and error) so practical experience is welcome as additional information.

This thread will likely be built up slowly until it encompasses a good and relevant cross section of well-known herbs. It will depend on continued interest and input. A good strategy is that whenever you see someone inquiring into herbs you provide a link to this thread. Then it will serve its purpose in providing a catchment for all herbal inquiries. My herbalist has agreed to examine my entries and provide feedback, corrections and/or additions as he sees fit. Hopefully this will be an excellent reference source for bodybuilding.com members. Personally, I expect to learn a lot more through my entries.

My name is Mark.

Exclamation Disclaimer

When you are asking for fairly serious medical health related advice don't expect members to take the place of your doctor.

When giving medical/health related advice don't pretend or act with the authority of a medical professional. In the odd case that you are it is still best to direct them to their own doctor who has a more detailed case history than you have access to.

In all cases approach such a query for information and support as an opportunity to share what knowledge you have obtained alongside practical experience (not logs) as support. This information is by no means meant to take the place of a medical professional and may serve as an auxiliary means of self care. Always consult with your family doctor if you are on any medication before ingesting various herbs to be informed of any counter-indications. This is extremely important and pertinent to all forthcoming discussions. Some herbs are counter indicated with some medicines because of adverse synergistic, agonistic or antagonistic effects.

My name is Mark.

MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MEDITATE has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    anise, helps with stomach gas

catnip tea help in sleeping

Originally Posted by MEDITATE View Post
    anise, helps with stomach gas

catnip tea help in sleeping

Yes Anise has a licorice taste and some use it in a salad. It is interesting that Catnip works with the human body as a calmative herb but with cats it acts as a stimulant. In the calmative family of herbs we also have skullcap, Valerian and many others. At one time lady slipper was a very good herb for this but is now outlawed due to the fact that this plant is slowly becoming extinct.

My name is Mark.

jmakin240 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jmakin240 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jmakin240 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jmakin240 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jmakin240 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jmakin240 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jmakin240 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jmakin240 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jmakin240 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jmakin240 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) jmakin240 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Shut up.
    ☆☆☆Livers off the Land crew☆☆☆

S&P crew

Lone Wolf crew

Fantasy Football Addict Impurityz's Avatar
    Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Impurityz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    in for future knowledge
    CPA

Adaptogens

Adaptogens are known to act upon the body to give overall benefits by fortifying your system. By comparison there are other herbs which provide more specific actions like Angelica root which is allocated for the circulatory system.

The pharmacodynamics of adaptogens are difficult to explain since they appear to influence each individual differently. If for instance you are mentally exhausted or physically fatigued the adaptogens are purported to help you feel more energetic, vitalized, and full of zest for life - but yet, they are not normal stimulants.

On the other hand if you are highly stressed and having difficulty coping with daily life demands they are purported to help you relax. Experientially I have experienced their calming effect and yet they are not tranquilizers. The mechanisms of action in the body and how they respond to various receptors dictated by deficiency is beyond the scope of my knowledge and research. There is a language at the level of chemical signatures and neurotransmitters that appears to occur between the active compounds of the plants and body to seek homeostasis.

Adaptogens, like many plants, contain antioxidants which help fight free radicals released during the oxidation process of metabolism in the body. These radicals, are not really free because they come at a price; namely they can cause a variety of problems such as cell degeneration, cancer, ageing and many other diseases.

Links to follow

ENERGY
    The best time to take these is first thing in the morning for best absorption.
    An increase of over 20% in the capacity to work has been reported as well as a reduction of errors made, by over 80% - which makes this a great nutrient to take when studying, or working at optimum levels.
    It is further reported that endurance is increased by up to 26% and an increase in strength is improved by nearly 10%.

Also, it has been reported that bodybuilders and athletes improve their performance with adaptogens, since it helps the body to return quicker to its normal resting stage.

IN GENERAL, ADAPTOGENS WORK BY

1. Supporting the adrenal function, thus counteracting the adverse effects of stress;

2. Enabling the body's cells to have access to more energy;

3. Helping cells to eliminate toxic byproducts of the metabolic process;

4. Providing an anabolic (building-up) effect, hence the use of adaptogens by body-builders;

5. Helping the body to utilize oxygen more efficiently;

6. Enhancing and speeding the proper regulation of bio-rhythms.

LINKS

www.naturalelixir.com/stresscontrol.html

www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptogen

Scientific Study:

www.shapeup.net/summary.html

SPECIFIC ADAPTOGENS: MACA, SIBERIAN GINSENG, ASHWAGANDA, AND RHODIOLA ETC.

*-Please feel free to critique my posts if you see a gap in my research or have contadictory information. I endeavor to do my best and am also here to learn.

My name is Mark.

Originally Posted by Azuses View Post
    in on 250 page thread
    If there is interest. We shall see...

My name is Mark.

JumpTheGun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JumpTheGun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JumpTheGun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JumpTheGun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JumpTheGun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JumpTheGun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JumpTheGun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JumpTheGun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JumpTheGun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JumpTheGun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JumpTheGun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    in b4 weed discussion
    *Jean crew*
    *Himeragi crew*

twicerainbow will become famous soon enough. (+50) twicerainbow will become famous soon enough. (+50) twicerainbow will become famous soon enough. (+50) twicerainbow will become famous soon enough. (+50) twicerainbow will become famous soon enough. (+50) twicerainbow will become famous soon enough. (+50) twicerainbow will become famous soon enough. (+50) twicerainbow will become famous soon enough. (+50) twicerainbow will become famous soon enough. (+50) twicerainbow will become famous soon enough. (+50) twicerainbow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    in on new sticky

Do you use ginseng? is it better/as good as coffee in terms of energy? can you control it?

Originally Posted by twicerainbow View Post
    in on new sticky
    Only giving this three hours and if not enough interest will ask mod to unsticky (SRS). I am not doing all this if no interest lol.

My name is Mark.

JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I love supplementing with herbs. In4 more info
    Repping Metroins for life
    **TEAM REDRAIDER86**
    MMFC Crew
    ASOT Crew

Originally Posted by JeannetteEmigh View Post
    I love supplementing with herbs. In4 more info
    Which herbs?

My name is Mark.

JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JeannetteEmigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Forge3 View Post
    Which herbs?
    Quite a few for immune support and overall wellness. Right now:

Olive leaf extract
    Reishi mushroom capsules
    Astragalus
    Spirulina
    Herbal capsule which contains: spirulina, chorella, Damiana leaf, artichoke leaf, ginko, cilantro, watercress, red clover, milk thistle, parsley, tumeric, hawthorn berry, horsetail, peppermint, stevia leaf, fenugreek, marshmallow root, catnip, nettle leaf, mullein, bladderwrack, cats claw, burdock, licorice root

I live close to a nutritionist that compounds most of my supplements.
    **TEAM REDRAIDER86**
    MMFC Crew
    ASOT Crew

Originally Posted by JeannetteEmigh View Post
    Quite a few for immune support and overall wellness. Right now:

Olive leaf extract
    Reishi mushroom capsules
    Astragalus
    Spirulina
    Herbal capsule which contains: spirulina, chorella, Damiana leaf, artichoke leaf, ginko, cilantro, watercress, red clover, milk thistle, parsley, tumeric, hawthorn berry, horsetail, peppermint, stevia leaf, fenugreek, marshmallow root, catnip, nettle leaf, mullein, bladderwrack, cats claw, burdock, licorice root

I live close to a nutritionist that compounds most of my supplements.
    Go easy on the Astralagus. It is only supposed to be used very sparingly otherwise it loses it's effectiveness. My herbalist even said only use a few times in your lifetime (SRS).

My name is Mark.

jiujitsudude is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jiujitsudude is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jiujitsudude is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jiujitsudude is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jiujitsudude is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jiujitsudude is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jiujitsudude is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jiujitsudude is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jiujitsudude is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jiujitsudude is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jiujitsudude is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    thoughts on cordyceps? thanks
    Lifting to put on size/strength for MMA. Been training since I was 5, and currently looking for a training partner @UCLA.

***Biochem Brah***

My better is better than your better.

Originally Posted by Forge3 View Post
    Go easy on the Astralagus. It is only supposed to be used very sparingly otherwise it loses it's effectiveness. My herbalist even said only use a few times in your lifetime (SRS).
    yikes, ok I'll look into that. I hate all of the conflicting info!!!!! Thanks
    **TEAM REDRAIDER86**
    MMFC Crew
    ASOT Crew

Ciel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ciel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ciel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ciel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ciel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ciel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ciel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ciel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ciel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ciel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ciel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks OP i've always been interested in the more natural things in life. So many health benefits right here on Gods Good Earth.

TeamSexyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeamSexyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TeamSexyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bump

forge, here is the makeup of my multivitamin pack. I'm getting some herbal support from other pills than the herbal foundation as well. I've been leaving out the vitamin a capsule, my doctor says it is wayyyy too much. any thoughts?

2 Herbal Foundation Capsules Contain:
    Ascorbic Acid 60mg.100%
    Vitamin B-6 8mg.400%

2 Flax Oil Softgels Contain:
    Flaxseed Oil 2000mg *

2 Vascular Support Capsules Contain:
    A Proprietary Blend: Viola Tricolor, Flower Horse Chestnut, seed Butchers Broom, whole plant *

1 Super-C Capsule Contains:
    Vitamin C 1000mg 1250%
    Bioflavenoids 600mg *
    Rutin 500mg *

1 Vitamin E Softgels Contain:
    Vitamin E400 I.U. 1333.3%
    (as d-Alpha Toccpheral plus d- Beta, d-Gamma, d-Delta Tocopherols)

1 Vitamin A Softgel Contains:
    Vitamin A (100% as Beta-Carotene) 25,000 I.U. 500%

1 B-Right 75 Plus Capsule Contains:
    Vit B1 - (thiaminc NO3) 75mg 6250%
    Vit B2 - (riboflavin) 75mg 5770%
    Vit B3 - (niacinamide) 75mg 468%
    Vit B6 - (pyridoxine HCl) 75mg 4411%
    Folic acid 300mcg 75%
    Co (Vit B12 - cyanocobalamin) 75mg 3125%
    Biotin 225mcg 750%
    Vit B5 - (cal pant) 225mg 750%
    PABA 75mg *