kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Am I overtraining/is it making me gain weight?

I have been working out for about 2 years now and I have have gained some good muscle mass and was happy how I looked around 190-200. I have since upped my training because I was looking for more results and I feel like my workouts would be considered overtraining. An example of one of my workout would be:

Lat Pulldown 10 x 8
    Low Row 10 x 6
    Dumbbell Row 10 x 7
    Barbell Row 10 x 6
    Barbell Curls 7 x 10
    Dumbbell Curls 4 x 12
    Hammer Curls 4 x 12

My workouts can take anywhere from 2-3 hours and over the course of the last 6 months I have added a good amount of muscle but also put on a good amount of fat without really changing what I eat. I eat 6 meals a day. Is the fat gain caused by overtraining or do I just need some cardio? I feel like my cortisol levels are high because of the long workouts. Also the increased workout duration and increased number of sets may have to do with the fact that I have OCD. I feel like I have to do more and more. But I really would like to know if the workout is causing fat gain/ would I gain more muscle with a lower number of sets. I know everyone says 12-16 for big body parts but I am still seeing gains with the quantity I am doing. Any advice would help! Thanks!

Registered User perpendicularis's Avatar
    perpendicularis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) perpendicularis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) perpendicularis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) perpendicularis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) perpendicularis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) perpendicularis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) perpendicularis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) perpendicularis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) perpendicularis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) perpendicularis has a spectacular aura about. (+250) perpendicularis has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The direct answer is - only too many calories can make you gain excess fat.
    However, if you are doing more training than you are able to recover from, then progress will stop & calorie surplus will be going to fat rather than new muscle. So yes, in this sense training too much can make you fat. But don't use the word overtraining around here, some people will go apesh!t.

Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    if you recover fully before your next workout, i.e. are able to progress in weights, you are not overtraining.

you need to count your calories effectively to control your weight gain/loss...see link my sig.
    Stern Crew

jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You're nowhere near overtraining.
    The more that you read, the more things you'll know.
    The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149723023

51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Retoaded View Post
    if you recover fully before your next workout, i.e. are able to progress in weights, you are not overtraining.

you need to count your calories effectively to control your weight gain/loss...see link my sig.
    ^^^ Dude! Love the signature! And the article's good too. It's my tome on nutrition.

51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 51747 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kickflip179 View Post
    I have been working out for about 2 years now and I have have gained some good muscle mass and was happy how I looked around 190-200. I have since upped my training because I was looking for more results and I feel like my workouts would be considered overtraining. An example of one of my workout would be:

Lat Pulldown 10 x 8
    Low Row 10 x 6
    Dumbbell Row 10 x 7
    Barbell Row 10 x 6
    Barbell Curls 7 x 10
    Dumbbell Curls 4 x 12
    Hammer Curls 4 x 12

My workouts can take anywhere from 2-3 hours and over the course of the last 6 months I have added a good amount of muscle but also put on a good amount of fat without really changing what I eat. I eat 6 meals a day. Is the fat gain caused by overtraining or do I just need some cardio? I feel like my cortisol levels are high because of the long workouts. Also the increased workout duration and increased number of sets may have to do with the fact that I have OCD. I feel like I have to do more and more. But I really would like to know if the workout is causing fat gain/ would I gain more muscle with a lower number of sets. I know everyone says 12-16 for big body parts but I am still seeing gains with the quantity I am doing. Any advice would help! Thanks!
    I think it's just your nutrition.
    Consumption < Intake = Weight gain
    Consumption >= Intake = Weight loss/maintenance

Try manipulating your macros. Read the link Retoaded recommended - quite excellent for getting a firm grip on nutrition.

JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JSNeves has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If your making progress on most of your lifts your not overtraining and providing stimulus for muscle growth. If your progressing and getting fat your just eating to much

kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kickflip179 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok thanks for the replies! I will change up my macros this week and see how that starts affecting me. I am progressing on my lifts so I didnt think I was doing too bad

Originally Posted by perpendicularis View Post
    The direct answer is - only too many calories can make you gain excess fat.
    However, if you are doing more training than you are able to recover from, then progress will stop & calorie surplus will be going to fat rather than new muscle. So yes, in this sense training too much can make you fat. But don't use the word overtraining around here, some people will go apesh!t.
    Yea I guess I didnt mean to use the word overtraining. I more meant it as because my workouts are so long I thought my cortisol levels were too high. Thank you for the info!