OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Body weight excercises - a foundation before weight training?

I think that everyone should be able to do the prime body weight excercise before ever lifting a single weight. This builds a pretty awesome foundation for weight training, what do you guys think? Has anyone here ever tried this approach? Im talking things like reverse grip pull ups, push ups, bodyweight row, squat, ab work, dips ect

Recently got injured and starting off again with body weight excercises, and I wish that I had started this way years ago.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    #checking title of web-site#

Hmm, maybe for a lot of people, but certainly not everybody. For the most part at least, nobody comes to this site and suddenly reinvents the wheel. If body-weight exercises were so essential to bodybuilders, then this would be a staple as far as what people learn here.

Aside from that, weight-training has its own learning curve, and the process of bodybuilding in itself doesn't really involve body-weight exercises. Nutrition and workout programs involving progressive weight do.

ChrisJones999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisJones999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisJones999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisJones999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisJones999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisJones999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisJones999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisJones999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisJones999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisJones999 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisJones999 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't agree! I'm 310 lbs and I couldn't do a push up for a long time but I could bench 135 when I first started weightlifting.

So body weight is not an option for some!

How Bad Do You Want It? P90XVeteran's Avatar
    P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hmmm, I have a bitter sweet feeling about that. I strongly stand by calisthenics but weight training does have it's benefits. It's all on personal preference and what type of body you're looking for and/or lifestyle

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your point seems about as valid as saying that someone should start with machines before moving to free weights when they start lifting.

There's no need to prepare your body for lifting weights by doing bodyweight exercises rather than actually lifting weights, (unless you're too weak to bench the bar so do push ups instead to gain the level of basic strength required.)

Pull ups/chin ups should usually be part of a weight training regime in the first place.
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723

OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE=NZninja101;887764181]Your point seems about as valid as saying that someone should start with machines before moving to free weights when they start lifting.

There's no need to prepare your body for lifting weights by doing bodyweight exercises rather than actually lifting weights, (unless you're too weak to bench the bar so do push ups instead to gain the level of basic strength required.)

I dont necessarliy mean that it will give people enough "strength" to do the normal bar variations, but it will teach your body how to do the correct movments, so when you move onto weights you already have the right form for those particular excerises. Like doing body weight rows then moving to barbell would be a good move, how often do you seen people doing rows and not developing their back at all. But yeh I understand your view point also. Also I dont mean bodyweight excercises will give you anywhere near the same look as heavy weight training, but should be used as a 'step up" to being heavy weights IMO

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by OldschoolBB99 View Post
    I dont necessarliy mean that it will give people enough "strength" to do the normal bar variations, but it will teach your body how to do the correct movments.
    Mind muscle connection is mind muscle connection, whether it's a bench or a push up.

so when you move onto weights you already have the right form for those particular excerises.
    Doing pushups will not teach you proper bench form.

Like doing body weight rows then moving to barbell would be a good move,
    I would like to see said video of BW rows.

how often do you seen people doing rows and not developing their back at all.
    Not often.

But yeh I understand your view point also. Also I dont mean bodyweight excercises will give you anywhere near the same look as heavy weight training, but should be used as a 'step up" to being heavy weights IMO
    Lighter weight could be a good step up for heavier weight.

dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I find it actually harder to do some things without weight than with it. I would rather box-squat with a bar and plates than spend time getting in and out of a chair.

I get the OP's idea of one not hurting themselves, and on that count I wholly agree. But the idea that one needs to start body-weight only is preposterous.
    ▪█───────█▪

Ivanko Barbell Crew Member #6

My Gear:

Lamar Rack w/lat & row setup
    Ironmasters DB's with add on package
    1000 lbs of Ivanko OM Plates
    Ironmaster Super Bench
    Parabody Roman Chair
    Precor 546 Elliptical
    Concept II rower Model D w/PM4

▪█───────█▪

I've had bi-lateral hip replacement.
    Ask me anything about it.

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'd agree with this. Why bother stepping into a weight room if you aren't already proficient with your own body weight? The only caveat I'd have with this is that bodyweight moves are notoriously lacking in lower back strength building, so I'd probably have a person start deadlifting while they were still doing bodyweight fitness and gradually replace calisthenics with weights as more resistance was required.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by IDrinkBloodLOL View Post
    I'd agree with this. Why bother stepping into a weight room if you aren't already proficient with your own body weight? The only caveat I'd have with this is that bodyweight moves are notoriously lacking in lower back strength building, so I'd probably have a person start deadlifting while they were still doing bodyweight fitness and gradually replace calisthenics with weights as more resistance was required.
    If you're at the right body-weight, then sure. People that are over-weight or generally heavy will respectively not be able to do pull-ups.

For the lower-back, plank and reverse hyper-extensions will do in your regards.

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    If you're at the right body-weight, then sure. People that are over-weight or generally heavy will respectively not be able to do pull-ups.

For the lower-back, plank and reverse hyper-extensions will do in your regards.
    Trufax on those reverse hypers. Have you found a convenient way to do them at home?

As for weight, you're right but I'm assuming people aren't fatasses. If they're fatasses the first thing they should do is starve down to skinnyfat IMO. It's kinda like Maslow's self realization pyramid, but for fitness it ranks like this:

Looking like a human -> having good physical condition -> having aesthetics

Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I use both bodyweight and weights. Lots of people knock them or avoid them since they are difficult to do. Floor leg lifts are killers for the hip and lower abs. A lot of floor ab work will also help develop amazing strength in the lower back area. I hope to eventually start on the bicycle as it's one of the best ab exercises around to achieve solid core strength.

Oldschool I am with you, it's great to start with these. I am now doing a lot of work using weights but will always do BW exercises. It is very rewarding to hit new PR especially in pushups and pullups.

Anyone who is new to working out, have injuries or are weak should start light on weights with inclusion of other BW exercises, gradually increase reps and slowly increase the difficulty by adding weights. Enjoy

Originally Posted by IDrinkBloodLOL View Post
    Trufax on those reverse hypers. Have you found a convenient way to do them at home?
    Island counters in the kitchen. Abs are made there. Why not hips? If you can get your waist situated on anything that allows you to find anchor at the upper-end of your torso, you're golden. I'd suspect it's even better if your upper-torso is declined to the floor, as long as your feet can hover an inch from it.

Re:Re: body-weight, I don't think that being fat is a good excuse to not lift weights.

Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Re: body-weight, I don't think that being fat is a good excuse to not lift weights.
    G'day GeneralS

Being fat isn't an excuse to not lift. Full body squats are difficult for a heavy person due to the extra weight they carry anyway. Forget the pushups until you lose a few pounds. Been there! It also adds extra stress on the heart. Weights for arms, bi's tri's delts....are terrific

Originally Posted by Lou1se View Post
    G'day GeneralS

Being fat isn't an excuse to not lift. Full body squats are difficult for a heavy person due to the extra weight they carry anyway. Forget the pushups until you lose a few pounds. Been there! It also adds extra stress on the heart. Weights for arms, bi's tri's delts....are terrific
    That was in response to IDBlol saying that someone should diet before they started doing any resistance training for any given muscle groups . For that matter, joint-safe cardio is a good idea for anyone to practice, as the full-body exercises will give someone a good starting point for strength conditioning. At that point, weights will still be a great supplement.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ChrisJones999 View Post
    I don't agree! I'm 310 lbs and I couldn't do a push up for a long time but I could bench 135 when I first started weightlifting.

So body weight is not an option for some!
    Originally Posted by P90XVeteran View Post
    Hmmm, I have a bitter sweet feeling about that. I strongly stand by calisthenics but weight training does have it's benefits. It's all on personal preference and what type of body you're looking for and/or lifestyle
    Originally Posted by NZninja101 View Post
    Your point seems about as valid as saying that someone should start with machines before moving to free weights when they start lifting.

Pull ups/chin ups should usually be part of a weight training regime in the first place.
    Yep.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

I forget, what was the question?

Like everything else in life, sometimes it is best for people to just work out what works best for them

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    If someone is incapable of doing a single pushup or situp, or air squats (and maybe a few other things), I don't believe lifting weights should be a priority at that stage.

It seems to me a lot of lifters/writers assume baseline cardiovascular health, strength, mobility, flexibility... and yeah, unfortunately, all too many people are lacking in one or more ways there. Best to work on achieving that baseline first, IMO.

Nothing too demanding. A few sets of pushups and situps, and a bunch of deep air squats, and I guess you're probably okay (though maybe there are a few other "tests" that should apply).

That was in response to IDBlol saying that someone should diet before they started doing any resistance training for any given muscle groups . For that matter, joint-safe cardio is a good idea for anyone to practice, as the full-body exercises will give someone a good starting point for strength conditioning. At that point, weights will still be a great supplement.
    Yeah but why would they need to lift on top of attempting to move their giant mountains of blubber around? They're already training with weights - a fat doing a handstand pushup is impressive.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The problem with your logic is some body weight exercises are far easier than others. If you can't do body weight squats you probably have no business trying to squat with a barbell lol. However chin ups and dips can be pretty tough for a beginner, especially if you are overweight. There's no reason to not weight train because you can't do chin ups or dips.

If you do something like all pro's, i.e. work with 8-12 reps doing the main compounds 2-3 times a week you will get plenty of conditioning.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by OldschoolBB99 View Post
    I think that everyone should be able to do the prime body weight excercise before ever lifting a single weight. This builds a pretty awesome foundation for weight training, what do you guys think?
    You're free to do whatever you want to do.

Personally, I didn't learn to Barbell Squat by doing anything else but Barbell Squats. Same for Deadlifts, Rows, and everything else.

S.A.I.D principle states that to get good at something, do the something.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I started briefly with pushups and pullups, but almost immediately mixed in resistance work.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

slianto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slianto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slianto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slianto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slianto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slianto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slianto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slianto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slianto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slianto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) slianto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For me, First time i went to gym, i cannot do even a single pullups...It's not that easy for a beginner.
    So after doing a few months training of pulldown and another back execise, then i'm able to do a few sets of pullups!

JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50) JB1Million will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Different people can and can't do different things. I'm 6'5 with a wingspan just as long, and I'm 205lbs. I can bench my own weight with no problem, but trying having long arms and doing 205lb rows, and do you know how hard it is for me to do a widegrip pullup?

nutritionfix1 is not very well liked. (-100) nutritionfix1 is not very well liked. (-100) nutritionfix1 is not very well liked. (-100) nutritionfix1 is not very well liked. (-100) nutritionfix1 is not very well liked. (-100) nutritionfix1 is not very well liked. (-100) nutritionfix1 is not very well liked. (-100) nutritionfix1 is not very well liked. (-100) nutritionfix1 is not very well liked. (-100) nutritionfix1 is not very well liked. (-100) nutritionfix1 is not very well liked. (-100)
    I quite enjoy bodyweight exercises, but they're by no means a prerequisite to starting light weight training.
    To paraphrase a quote I can't remember specifically: "Your body is the product of all the decisions you've made in your life."

Always a newbie, no matter how much knowledge I gain. Unless I'm arguing with you, in which case I'll pretend I'm a f#$#ing expert.

follow me @Nutrition_Fix