Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Question Front Squats and Back Squats help please.

Hi all,

First a bit of background. When I first started, two years ago, it was done using only bodyweight. I was heavier then

Eventually as the weight came off and my strength increased, I began using db at home starting from 2.5lbs and then onto 22lbs.

I joined a gym two months ago. Here I continued using freeweights- 33lbs bb, holding the bar across the front/shoulders. I worried more about my form as I chose heavier weights. Sometimes I would lean to the front of the foot and had to concentrate to shift the weight to the heels. I switched to throwing the bb over my head so it sat at the back of my head/shoulder/trap area. It felt a lot more comfortable and I could easily shift the weight onto my heels ...I know I am doing it correctly now. I am managing to go low whereby earlier I was barely getting the thighs parallel, it was due to better foot placement.

I'm now using 66lbs, I'm not a big fan of the Smith machine but have used it occasionally, it feels unnatural and seems to add stress to the knees. Throwing the bar over my head is quite challenging and in many ways it prevents me increasing the weight. Quite simply, safety comes first.

I finally worked out how to use the cage and much prefer it. It rarely is free.

My question- I expect F and B Squats work different muscles. What muscles are being used when the bar is at the front during squats? And what muscles are being used when the bar is at the back?

Your answers will help me work out if I should make any changes.

The main areas I prefer to work are - Glutes and quads..

DocTats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DocTats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DocTats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DocTats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DocTats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DocTats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DocTats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DocTats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DocTats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DocTats will become famous soon enough. (+50) DocTats will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's not so much they work different muscles rather they stress it a but differently.

Front squats is a bit more quad dominant, it forces you to keep an upright torso or else you'll lose the bar.

Back squats is a bit more complicated but in general, if you go all the way down (I like to call it HTC...hamstrings to calf as opposed to ATG because your ass really doesn't hit the ground but I digress...) it will hit the glutes pretty hard (as will the front squat). If you do back squats with an upright torso, it is more quad dominant. If you have a bit of a forward lean and wider stance, probably hit more glutes. Again, all squats will hit quads, glutes and hams, emphasis a little different between variants

First video shows more of an upright torso, second with more of a forward lean although most people fall somewhere between the two (I prefer the first)

My ever evolving workout journal (journey?):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141251141

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Lou1se View Post
    My question- I expect F and B Squats work different muscles. What muscles are being used when the bar is at the front during squats? And what muscles are being used when the bar is at the back?
    All of the same muscles are used to some extent. Fronts shift a good deal of the work to the quads; Back Squats do the opposite--more of the work is done by the glutes and hams. Also, the deeper you Squat, the more glute/ham activation gets called into play.

In that case, Back Squats should be the preferred exercise of the two choices. You might also want to consider Lunges.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hi all,

First a bit of background. When I first started, two years ago, it was done using only bodyweight. I was heavier then

Eventually as the weight came off and my strength increased, I began using db at home starting from 2.5lbs and then onto 22lbs.

I joined a gym two months ago. Here I continued using freeweights- 33lbs bb, holding the bar across the front/shoulders. I worried more about my form as I chose heavier weights. Sometimes I would lean to the front of the foot and had to concentrate to shift the weight to the heels. I switched to throwing the bb over my head so it sat at the back of my head/shoulder/trap area. It felt a lot more comfortable and I could easily shift the weight onto my heels ...I know I am doing it correctly now. I am managing to go low whereby earlier I was barely getting the thighs parallel, it was due to better foot placement.

I'm now using 66lbs, I'm not a big fan of the Smith machine but have used it occasionally, it feels unnatural and seems to add stress to the knees. Throwing the bar over my head is quite challenging and in many ways it prevents me increasing the weight. Quite simply, safety comes first.

I did regular squats my entire life and am enjoying fronts currently. In my body the fronts feel like 60-65% quads calves 35-40% glutes/hammys, while regular squats feel like 70% glutes/hammys 30% quads. These are rough estimates of course but my ass is smaller and that is a good thing!

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There are many variants of squats, and each one hits the muscles, as DocTats and IronWill alluded to. In a back squat, even where you hold the bar will hit your legs with different emphasis. There's a variant called low-bar back squat where you hold the bar nestled into the groove near the bottom of the traps that hits glutes and hams with more intensity but still requires a lot of quad recruitment.

Here's one of the best articles I've ever read on squats, and you can never get too many tips on squatting.

http://www.sweatpit.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=squat
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    Here's one of the best articles I've ever read on squats, and you can never get too many tips on squatting.

http://www.sweatpit.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=squat
    Very comprehensive article right ^^^^ there.

And I bet I know who wrote it.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Very comprehensive article right ^^^^ there.

And I bet I know who wrote it.
    He's one of my "coaches".

I've probably learned more from him than anyone else.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hi all,

I STRONGLY suggest you read "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. Besides being a good author every single question you asked is discussed in greater detail than you will be able to get from here.

The chapter on squats is available on the demo version for the Kindle. So there isn't even a cost to get this valuable info.

Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Excellent info DocTats, Ironwill, X-Trainer, Marius and michail

It makes sense that a change in the positioning of the bar, stance, posture causes a shift in the stresses placed on certain muscle groups. I was worried maybe I was missing out on getting a particular group actioned. Very happy to continue using the back squat and will read these articles in depth. I remember also why I chose to change from front to back, I found that my calf muscles were being activated. I try not to work them as these muscles are naturally well developed as is, ahhh genetics..

That article is a "Must Read" Marius and I was blown away by the pics. The level of strength and training intensity these elite athletes go through I can't even begin to comprehend! I did have a chuckle at the author's comments re: If we want to be comfortable, seek a masseusse lol

I do lunges and deadlifts too. I don't enjoy using the machines as much re:leg extension/curls etc, must be a comfort thing

Finally accused of juicin Corbi's Avatar
    Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Louise, you could always try goblet squats as well as zerchers, both of those I prefer over back squats mainly because they are easier for me and I can go a lot deeper.
    "You know that little thing in your head that keeps you from saying things you shouldn't? Yeah, well, I don't have one of those."

Thanks Corbi, I don't know what those are but will definately investigate and give them a go

Last night I moved to 77lbs B Squats using the Smith, it's still hard to get used to. No chance on going deep though.

I didn't use the cage and ended up using the free weight too, you know it's starting to get serious when you have to mentally prepare throwing that bar over my head. Have terrible visions of knocking myself out lol

You'll have to excuse me..must cut this post short, I'm a little late for my appointment with Diego my bronzed and meaty masseusse?

A little goblet squat info can be found here.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=145089991

Also, taxation is theft.

Great! I will try those using a DB We don't have kettlebells. Thanks Marius!

zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100)
    This video represent olympic style or high bar squat. The bar sits behind the neck area on the traps. Look at the heel of their shoes because that's where they get the added help to squat all that weight. It puts them at an advantage over doing these squats flat footed. If you do these and don't have shoes with a built up heel just put a 5 or 10 pound plate under your heels while you squat. I do believe these style squats might target the front of the legs more than low bar squat below.

Low bar squat. You don't need a raised heel and you don't want to put anything under your heel. The bar sits lower on the shoulders about on the upper middle back. You sit back into the squat and drive your ass out of the hole. Works gluteus maximus and hamstrings more than the olympic squats I think personally, or at least that's what I feel.
    [/QUOTE]