gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question does speed and endurance reduce your strength?

If you lift for maximum Strength gains for ?months and then switch to training for Speed or endurance for ?months, do you lose some of the strength you gained in the first few months?
    Like, if you gain speed or endurance, will you lose some strength?
    If you do, how much do you lose? all of it, half, a tiny bit?

Thanks

SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SixStarPro is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Gary,

All depends on the program man. Provide your current program and your speed/endurance training program and I can assess for you.

If this is a major concern for you, depending on your program, I'd implement super-sets into your training. You can gain endurance while still lifting near your maxes.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Luke -
    Team Six Star
    Six Star Pro Nutrition Rep

SixStarProNutrition.com | ********.com/SixStarNutrition | @SixStarPro | YouTube.com/SixStarNutrition

30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yea what Six Star said. Its not necessary to lose strength while gaining endurance. Strength can also make you faster so those can actually help each other. You can do all 3 in the same program it will just take more careful planning than most programs. Is there a specific sport and position your preparing for?
    www.TrainWithSykes.com

Check out my Youtube Channel: TrainWithSykes

Please like the ******** Page: www.********.com/ITrainWithSykes

If your not getting better your getting worse. There is no in-between.

ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    what has been said here is true, to an extent. Theres a reason why long distance runners are so lean and why people with more muscle mass are not the greatest long distance runners. Dont expect to be the best at all three categories, focus on whats the main one and improve the other two to make the main one better. With that said, short distance running is the great medium between the two. Utilizing this maintains fast twitch muscle fibers as well as increasing your aerobic threshhold. As long as your goals are not to be able to become a powerlifting, triathalon, and 100m hurdle professional together there are benefits to be had from utilizing other training methods.
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." Jackie Robinson

gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gary9191 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by 30Sacks View Post
    Yea what Six Star said. Its not necessary to lose strength while gaining endurance. Strength can also make you faster so those can actually help each other. You can do all 3 in the same program it will just take more careful planning than most programs. Is there a specific sport and position your preparing for?
    Yes, boxing.

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by gary9191 View Post
    Yes, boxing.
    Just think about it. If speed and endurance training (especially for boxing) hurts your strength, than manny pacquiao would be one weak twig LOL.

Buuut, that's not the case. Now of course manny is an elite athlete with elite trainers, dr's and nutritionists. But regardless, you can incorporate speed and endurance training and maintain strength. You can even gain strength from it. Don't mistake size for strength. Two different things. Also, boxing strength isn't determine by which fighter has a bigger bench press. So for you as a boxer, speed and endurance training is what you should mainly be focusing on. You will gain strength through that.

Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    Just think about it. If speed and endurance training (especially for boxing) hurts your strength, than manny pacquiao would be one weak twig LOL.

Buuut, that's not the case. Now of course manny is an elite athlete with elite trainers, dr's and nutritionists. But regardless, you can incorporate speed and endurance training and maintain strength. You can even gain strength from it. Don't mistake size for strength. Two different things. Also, boxing strength isn't determine by which fighter has a bigger bench press. So for you as a boxer, speed and endurance training is what you should mainly be focusing on. You will gain strength through that.
    Its funny you mention Pacquiao, because thats kind of my idol/role model and who I want be like condition wise (I know that sounds nuts because like you said he's an elite athlete, with elite trainers, coaches, Drs, Phsio's etc.....)

And I know what you mean about how size doesn't mean strength, I don't want size, I want to weigh between 125 - 145 lbs, and have a functional body like Pacquiao.

So how do I train for all of those? Do I train for them at the same time with one programme, or alternate between speed,endurance,strength routines???
    Pacquiao is who I want to be like (even though its almost impossible, but it's good to aim high!)