Thread: Help losing fat

gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Help losing fat

Hey y'all, thanks ahead of time for any help.

As of right now, I"m 5'9" about 177lbs with a 31-31.5~ inch waist. and if I had to guess I"d say about 18% body fat?

Anyways, I seem to have a hard time dropping fat anymore. I'm down from 193lbs with about a 35-36in. waist, and back then it was pretty damn easy to drop it, If I just ate right for the most part it wasn't bad at all. Now, I have to eat hardly any calories it seems to drop anymore. If I eat at 2k calories, I will not lose any weight/fat. (and I"m training BJJ 3-5 times a week, on top of 3 days of weightlifting). And idk about y'all, but I'm hungry alot of the time lol, I've eaten at 1500 calories which i was able to lose about 2-3lbs per week, but honestly that was really hard for me to do, especially with the training. and I couldn't keep it up for very long.

Anyone have any advice? I was thinking about trying out IF as I haven't yet and seeing how that goes. Anyways, I know i'm probably missing something extremely obvious. so if someone would enlighten me that'd be great. Thanks y'all!

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by gfreak View Post
    Hey y'all, thanks ahead of time for any help.

As of right now, I"m 5'9" about 177lbs with a 31-31.5~ inch waist. and if I had to guess I"d say about 18% body fat?

Anyways, I seem to have a hard time dropping fat anymore. I'm down from 193lbs with about a 35-36in. waist, and back then it was pretty damn easy to drop it, If I just ate right for the most part it wasn't bad at all. Now, I have to eat hardly any calories it seems to drop anymore. If I eat at 2k calories, I will not lose any weight/fat. (and I"m training BJJ 3-5 times a week, on top of 3 days of weightlifting). And idk about y'all, but I'm hungry alot of the time lol, I've eaten at 1500 calories which i was able to lose about 2-3lbs per week, but honestly that was really hard for me to do, especially with the training. and I couldn't keep it up for very long.

Anyone have any advice? I was thinking about trying out IF as I haven't yet and seeing how that goes. Anyways, I know i'm probably missing something extremely obvious. so if someone would enlighten me that'd be great. Thanks y'all!
    To lose fat you just need a deficit... IF or not it won't make any difference. 1500 calories is FAR too low for that activity, no wonder you were so hungry.

Eat at a SENSIBLE deficit and be patient
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) gfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    To lose fat you just need a deficit... IF or not it won't make any difference. 1500 calories is FAR too low for that activity, no wonder you were so hungry.

Eat at a SENSIBLE deficit and be patient

I understand that I need a deficit. But when I eat right at about 2k calories a day, my weight more or less stays the same (I might gain at a very slow rate) And even 2k calories a day leaves me hungry when i'm training a decent amount (i.e. 2 a days when i don't have school). But if I eat anymore, like say 2.5k calories a day. I"m gaining a good 1-2lbs a week easily without even trying.

aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I understand that I need a deficit. But when I eat right at about 2k calories a day, my weight more or less stays the same (I might gain at a very slow rate) And even 2k calories a day leaves me hungry when i'm training a decent amount (i.e. 2 a days when i don't have school). But if I eat anymore, like say 2.5k calories a day. I"m gaining a good 1-2lbs a week easily without even trying.
    you're probably underestimating your calorie intake. Eat foods with lots of protein and measure everythign out. You shouldn't have a problem staying full on 2k calories. What are you eating?

Originally Posted by aclockworkoi View Post
    you're probably underestimating your calorie intake. Eat foods with lots of protein and measure everythign out. You shouldn't have a problem staying full on 2k calories. What are you eating?
    Depends alot on whether i'm in school or not. During school, I"ll usually have a coupla eggs for breakfast, and then subway for lunch. Dinner is whatever my parents make. (When I was counting calories I was still making sure that it was under 2k by the end of the day). I haven't counted calories too much since getting out of school so it's been pretty varied, I've just been trying to eat in moderation since then and I haven't gained any weight. But it seems when I cut the calories that the weight still doesn't want to drop off, and I just get real hungry. When I was counting calories, I made sure to measure everything out like you said. Idk, maybe it was the food choices that weren't keeping me full. Any advice on what foods would do that?

aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Depends alot on whether i'm in school or not. During school, I"ll usually have a coupla eggs for breakfast, and then subway for lunch. Dinner is whatever my parents make. (When I was counting calories I was still making sure that it was under 2k by the end of the day). I haven't counted calories too much since getting out of school so it's been pretty varied, I've just been trying to eat in moderation since then and I haven't gained any weight. But it seems when I cut the calories that the weight still doesn't want to drop off, and I just get real hungry. When I was counting calories, I made sure to measure everything out like you said. Idk, maybe it was the food choices that weren't keeping me full. Any advice on what foods would do that?
    Eat plenty of protein, 150g or so. Read the sticky (How to Lose Fat For Noobs). Count those calories accurately. When you go to subway, the calories they have listed are for no cheese, no mayo. I frequently get a footlong turkey from Subway for lunch. Eat 6" at noonish, and 6" around 2 or 3 - helps keep me full.

Originally Posted by aclockworkoi View Post
    Eat plenty of protein, 150g or so. Read the sticky (How to Lose Fat For Noobs). Count those calories accurately. When you go to subway, the calories they have listed are for no cheese, no mayo. I frequently get a footlong turkey from Subway for lunch. Eat 6" at noonish, and 6" around 2 or 3 - helps keep me full.
    '

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Usually what I get from subway is either a 6' or footlong, black forrest ham, or a spicy italian every once in a while. The spicy italian plus chips was usually 900-1000 calories depending on what I put on it (I'd eat this if I didn't eat breakfast) and the BFH was about 6-700.

Also, just curious. Where exactly did the 1g of protein per LBM come from? Is there a study behind that? Cause I hear it alot (Or even more, i've heard 3g per lbm before)

If anyone else has any advice, or tips please chime in!

MeImmortal1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MeImmortal1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MeImmortal1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MeImmortal1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MeImmortal1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MeImmortal1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MeImmortal1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MeImmortal1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MeImmortal1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MeImmortal1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MeImmortal1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I personally have trouble getting very lean unless I cycle carbs and have periodic refeeds. Even with a deficit I'd go weeks without change. Same deficit, but low carb, throwing in a refeed every week or two, then bam, metabolism goes crazy and I'd start getting leaner by the week. I also should add that before I did this, I'd zig zag my gains (lose muscle, gain muscle, lose muscle, gain muscle). It's been the best thing for me personally, but everyone's different. Keep looking for your niche, imo it sounds like you would do well with carb cycling and periodic refeeds but I could also be dead wrong, tho it has worked for me. This is something you could try out for a month and if it doesn't work go right back to what you're doing or try something else.
    "The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind."

"Enjoyment is not a goal, it is a feeling that accompanies important ongoing activity."

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You are not gaining fat

What you are seeing is gaining water weight due to you basically starving yourself on 1500 calories. You increase calories for a few days and you get scared seeing weight gain then stop and get in a cycle of this happening.

You won't gain weight on a deficit.
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

Thanks, I might try that meimmortal

You are not gaining fat

What you are seeing is gaining water weight due to you basically starving yourself on 1500 calories. You increase calories for a few days and you get scared seeing weight gain then stop and get in a cycle of this happening.

You won't gain weight on a deficit.
    I'm not talking about water weight, I mean i've done it for 3 weeks and gained about 5-6lbs easily. When I first started lifting, I was eating around 3k calories a day. I gained 13-15lbs in 2 months, easily. without even trying. I just put on weight easily lol.

Thanks, I might try that meimmortal

I'm not talking about water weight, I mean i've done it for 3 weeks and gained about 5-6lbs easily. When I first started lifting, I was eating around 3k calories a day. I gained 13-15lbs in 2 months, easily. without even trying. I just put on weight easily lol.
    You do NOT defy the laws of thermodynamics. If you truly believe this you have a SERIOUS medical condition (thyroid etc) and should see a Dr immediately.

You do NOT defy the laws of thermodynamics. If you truly believe this you have a SERIOUS medical condition (thyroid etc) and should see a Dr immediately.
    I'm not saying I defy the laws of science, all I'm saying is that if I eat at 2.5k calories for any length of time, I gain weight. it's as simple as that. And i consistantly gain weight for weeks at a time. Am I still gaining water weight 3 weeks later?