Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is taking protein shakes good idea if trying to lose weight

Hello just bit advice am trying to lose weight but want try build muscle is having a protein shake after a workout (cardio) a Good idea.

Thanks

ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes. I take whey protein every day and have lost 38 pounds since Christmas with little muscle loss. You SHOULD be taking protein even on a cut. Take a shake when you wake up to break catabalism and one within a half hour of working out. Some people will tell you the "timing" part is all crap but that is what I have done and it has worked wonders.

JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Peck88 View Post
    Hello just bit advice am trying to lose weight but want try build muscle is having a protein shake after a workout (cardio) a Good idea.

Thanks
    Read the stickies please. If you are still in a caloric deficit, it will not hinder your progress.

Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Peck88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ScaleAndSteel View Post
    Yes. I take whey protein every day and have lost 38 pounds since Christmas with little muscle loss. You SHOULD be taking protein even on a cut. Take a shake when you wake up to break catabalism and one within a half hour of working out. Some people will tell you the "timing" part is all crap but that is what I have done and it has worked wonders.
    So should I have a protein shake then eat breakfast or the shake to replace the breakfast ?

msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hit your macros with whole food. If you can't for whatever reason (time/availability), feel free to SUPPLEMENT with protein shakes. Whenever possible, though, eat whole food.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This is crap, ignore this dude OP

OP, to gain muscle you generally need to eat at a surplus, to lose fat you eat at a deficit. Taking a protein shake is just another way of getting protein if you rather not eating food.
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So should I have a protein shake then eat breakfast or the shake to replace the breakfast ?
    Read my post, ignore him
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ScaleAndSteel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    There are different ways to do it. IF is one way. I personally eat about 6 meals a day. With that said, the shake is part of my first breakfast.

I eat my first meal right after waking up. It consists of a banana, a multivitamin, a whey shake, 2 fish oil pills, a tall glass of water and occasionally I eat a yogurt too. I log it into myfitnesspal.com.

I then eat a second breakfast that is roughly an hour or so prior to my workout. I have a post workout meal. A late lunch, dinner and a final meal. That is just how I do it. Others swear by IF. I am very happy with my 6 meals a day.

With that said, my two whey shakes a day do not replace meals, they are just apart of my overall daily intake of food.

Originally Posted by msm00b View Post
    Hit your macros with whole food. If you can't for whatever reason (time/availability), feel free to SUPPLEMENT with protein shakes. Whenever possible, though, eat whole food.
    Thanks dude

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    This is crap, ignore this dude OP

OP, to gain muscle you generally need to eat at a surplus, to lose fat you eat at a deficit. Taking a protein shake is just another way of getting protein if you rather not eating food.
    High rep power doesn't mean your correct. You are just pretending to be an online expert. It is unfortunate people like you keep other people from learning things that work. Nothing I said took away from eating at a deficit or making up your protein intake.
    Last edited by ScaleAndSteel; 05-21-2012 at 06:54 PM.

msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000)
    High rep power doesn't mean your correct. You are just another moron pretending to be an online expert. It is unfortunate idiots like you keep people from learning things that work.
    Actually he's right.

And now you get a well deserved neg from me.

High rep power doesn't mean your correct. You are just another moron pretending to be an online expert. It is unfortunate idiots like you keep people from learning things that work.
    No, you are a moron. You aren't catabolic from sleeping overnight, catabolism takes 48-72 hours to start to occur.

Originally Posted by msm00b View Post
    Actually he's right.

And now you get a well deserved neg from me.
    Lol you gotta love the crap-expertology in this place. People here know more than all the labels on the supplements, nutritionists and doctors. Our online experts who cater to rep power is laughable. Thankfully I was able to look past it and have been very successful. Neg away dude, lol.
    Last edited by ScaleAndSteel; 05-21-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Lol you gotta love the crap-expertology in this place. People here know more than all the labels on the supplements, nutritionists and doctors. Our online experts who cater to rep power is laughable. Thankfully I was able to look past the idiots and have been very successful. Neg away dude, lol.
    /facepalm

@OP

Unfortunately this is a perfect example of the crap you have to sort through some times. There are alot of people here who spend countless hours posting in a group-think way, and when you add in the rep power factor, it can get pretty stupid. You have to be smart to get past the crap. Read the labels on your supplements and ask any real nutritionist. They will tell you. Best to drink a protein shake after waking up and within a half hour of working out. It is simply what it is. Don't take my advice on it though, as in my first post I already knew people here with their rad group think wouldn't like it.

Try different things if you have to but find what works for you. At the end of the day it is absolutely a GOOD thing to add protein to your diet even if timing isn't important. Just be careful with the people here. Many adhere strongly to these weird "rules" that have developed on this site and some of those rules go against what any doctor or nutritionist will tell you.

As far as the timing of your protein shake...I think it probably only has little significance but it is there. As I said, it has worked wonders for me. I am proof that it is has worked. Just keep any eye out for posters here who preach fads.

Ask about how they all hated IF and now half the people here swear it is the only way. Next year they will all be switched to the new fad rule.

@OP

Unfortunately this is a perfect example of the crap you have to sort through some times. There are alot of people here who spend countless hours posting in a group-think way, and when you add in the rep power factor, it can get pretty stupid. You have to be smart to get past the crap. Read the labels on your supplements and ask any real nutritionist. They will tell you. Best to drink a protein shake after waking up and within a half hour of working out. It is simply what it is. Don't take my advice on it though, as in my first post I already knew people here with their rad group think wouldn't like it.

Try different things if you have to but find what works for you. At the end of the day it is absolutely a GOOD thing to add protein to your diet even if timing isn't important. Just be careful with the people here. Many adhere strongly to these weird "rules" that have developed on this site and some of those rules go against what any doctor or nutritionist will tell you.

As far as the timing of your protein shake...I think it probably only has little significance but it is there. As I said, it has worked wonders for me. I am proof that it is has worked. Just keep any eye out for posters here who preach fads.

Ask about how they all hated IF and now half the people here swear it is the only way. Next year they will all be switched to the new fad rule.
    Bahahaha actually a Dr/Nutritionist will tell you to eat WHOLE foods

LOL you keep saying "I am proof" this and that. What PROOF.

OP go look at PBateman2 etc, heck even PM them and ask for advice

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    Bahahaha actually a Dr/Nutritionist will tell you to eat WHOLE foods

LOL you keep saying "I am proof" this and that. What PROOF.

OP go look at PBateman2 etc, heck even PM them and ask for advice
    I shouldn't have used "moron" like I did. Reading over some of your posts I think you do give out good advice. I will edit it out. I don't intend to insult or be mean really. I don't care and am well aware you can simply repost back to rub it in my face but I don't care. I don't like insulting people for stupid crap so I will edit it out with my appologies.

As far as proof goes, I have kept detailed logs/stat progress on my bodyspace. Pics don't make anything more real.

I now present to you ScaleAndSteel's long list of credentials:

(there are none)

ScSc0rP is on a distinguished road. (+10) ScSc0rP is on a distinguished road. (+10) ScSc0rP is on a distinguished road. (+10) ScSc0rP is on a distinguished road. (+10) ScSc0rP is on a distinguished road. (+10) ScSc0rP is on a distinguished road. (+10) ScSc0rP is on a distinguished road. (+10) ScSc0rP is on a distinguished road. (+10) ScSc0rP is on a distinguished road. (+10) ScSc0rP is on a distinguished road. (+10) ScSc0rP is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    @OP

Aren't you the one making a rule by saying that it is necessary to eat a protein shake in the morning to prevent catabolism? I will agree that I've seen a lot of bro-science on this forum in the past, but the IIFYM diet that is explained in the stickies at the top of the page is simple and the exact opposite of what you are saying, few rules.

Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Iifym

/thread

Originally Posted by ScSc0rP View Post
    Aren't you the one making a rule by saying that it is necessary to eat a protein shake in the morning to prevent catabolism? I will agree that I've seen a lot of bro-science on this forum in the past, but the IIFYM diet that is explained in the stickies at the top of the page is simple and the exact opposite of what you are saying, few rules.
    I am definately not making any rule. I am and have been saying, that it has worked very well for me. I recommend it because it has worked so well for me not because it is some forum rule you see several people here raging on about. IIFYM is another fad around this place. It leads to the, "can I drink beer and protein shakes all day IIFYM then?" kinda questions....the broscience...the online-experts here are often times wrong. They are also often times right. Part of any persons job when trying to find sound advice is sorting through it.

I will leave it there. The group doesn't like what I said the rep power always wins. OP, take your time and sort through the info. You will find your answers. Just be cautious of the fads here. The people swear by them today and will change tomorrow just like they have in the past. Read the labels and if you want, talk to nutritionists. Be weary of our online-experts and there group-think driven fads.

Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Deadthrone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

You sir are the moron, you contradicted yourself in this. You're saying that it has "worked wonders" for you? Really? Let's see the proof. You saying it worked for you doesn't necessarily make it true. BTW, what you're telling the OP to do is a FAD that has been proven irrelevant. Good day.

INB4 NICE AVI PHATPHUCK

Originally Posted by Deadthrone View Post
    You sir are the moron, you contradicted yourself in this. You're saying that it has "worked wonders" for you? Really? Let's see the proof. You saying it worked for you doesn't necessarily make it true. BTW, what you're telling the OP to do is a FAD that has been proven irrelevant. Good day.

INB4 NICE AVI PHATPHUCK
    Naw I wouldn't say that seriously. I honestly feel bad for having called the other dude a moron. I am just not that kind of dude. I am just going to bow out of this confab though just because I feel any more imput by me will continue to derail the thread into a pissing match. I will let the others enlighten us all. I am fine with where I am at.

You done? K now gtfo and accept that you are a moron. You being wrong and us telling you you're wrong =/= pissing match.

D0omsdayPrime will become famous soon enough. (+50) D0omsdayPrime will become famous soon enough. (+50) D0omsdayPrime will become famous soon enough. (+50) D0omsdayPrime will become famous soon enough. (+50) D0omsdayPrime will become famous soon enough. (+50) D0omsdayPrime will become famous soon enough. (+50) D0omsdayPrime will become famous soon enough. (+50) D0omsdayPrime will become famous soon enough. (+50) D0omsdayPrime will become famous soon enough. (+50) D0omsdayPrime will become famous soon enough. (+50) D0omsdayPrime will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thanks
    Muscle burns off more calories than fat. (No chit) With more protein more muscle, more fat burning more aesthetics

whiteorc is just really nice. (+1000) whiteorc is just really nice. (+1000) whiteorc is just really nice. (+1000) whiteorc is just really nice. (+1000) whiteorc is just really nice. (+1000) whiteorc is just really nice. (+1000) whiteorc is just really nice. (+1000) whiteorc is just really nice. (+1000) whiteorc is just really nice. (+1000) whiteorc is just really nice. (+1000) whiteorc is just really nice. (+1000)
    /popcorn
    was wondering why such a dumb thread title had so many replies

OP, my 1200 rep power or whatever it is says scaleandsteel is stupid. anyone can get anything to work for them... i could say i lost 50lbs eating only lettuce and water...
    May 1st - Aug 1st Weightloss Comp:

May 1: 320lbs | May 11: 314lbs | May 18: 310lbs |May 25: 306lbs | Total: -14lbs
    Jun 1: 306lbs | Jun 8: 299lbs | Jun 15: 297lbs | Jun 22: 296lbs | Jun 29: xxxlbs | Total: -xxxlbs
    Jul 6: xxxlbs | Jul13: xxxlbs | Jul 20: xxxlbs | Jul 27: xxxlbs | Total: -xxxlbs
    Aug 1: xxxlbs

Start Weight: 320lbs | Finish Weight: xxxlbs | Lost: xxxlbs

2/25/2012 - 370lbs - starting point
    My log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145444431

Originally Posted by D0omsdayPrime View Post
    Muscle burns off more calories than fat. (No chit) With more protein more muscle, more fat burning more aesthetics
    huh?

mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000) mattypoole is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I am definately not making any rule. I am and have been saying, that it has worked very well for me. I recommend it because it has worked so well for me not because it is some forum rule you see several people here raging on about. IIFYM is another fad around this place. It leads to the, "can I drink beer and protein shakes all day IIFYM then?" kinda questions....the broscience...the online-experts here are often times wrong. They are also often times right. Part of any persons job when trying to find sound advice is sorting through it.

I will leave it there. The group doesn't like what I said the rep power always wins. OP, take your time and sort through the info. You will find your answers. Just be cautious of the fads here. The people swear by them today and will change tomorrow just like they have in the past. Read the labels and if you want, talk to nutritionists. Be weary of our online-experts and there group-think driven fads.
    OP this clown has been reading too many muscle mags full of supplement company ads.

You don't need to have a protein shake when you wake up to prevent catabolism, AlwaysTryin and others are right to point out that ScaleAndSteel is talking utter nonsense.

It's not about fads, it's about science and understanding the difference between that and unsubstantiated claims by supplement companies trying to sell protein powder and the gullible bros that believe that crap.
    You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.

[IIFYM/Flexible Dieting Crew] - It ain't that hard dummy..

[Former 300+ Crew]

*** Fitness Advice, Tech Reviews and more: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattypaus?feature=guide

Bobbybick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    On topic:
    Protein shakes are fine on a cut as long as you fit them into your daily macros. If you drink a 400 calorie protein shake just ensure that it doesn't put you over your daily limit if you are on a cut.

The biggest reason whey shakes are discouraged is that they generally are not a good way to keep your appetite suppressed and as such you may end up overeating to make up for this fact.

Personally I usually drink 2 shakes a day as it is just more convenient for me to make a 2 minute shake and chug it down than to spend 10-15mins sitting down to eat, I just make sure that by doing this I am keeping in line with where I want to be for how many calories I am eating/protein needs for the day.
    09-01-2010 : 266.1 lbs
    02-13-2011 : 239.1 lbs
    05-16-2012 : 205.2 lbs
    God I'm tired of chicken.