Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's been a minute since I've been here. This past football season didn't go as I wanted it to. Sophomore year I only started 1 game and that was the only game I played significant time in (because of an injury to the starter). This season (junior year), I only started 2 games and played significant time in the first 3 games at the start of the season. After that I only did special teams. I really thought this junior season would be a big year since I was one of the oldest linebackers on the team. But it didn't turn out that way - it was a pretty big disappointment. The team went under .500 both years as well when we had way too much talent to be that low.

The team is in the process of brining in a new coaching staff so that will be nice to get a fresh start in terms of expectations. But a big part of this is still on me. I lost confidence in myself after some bad showing early in the season and that showed in practice (which lead to me not playing). I also continue to eat poorly and not get great sleep. I still go hard in the weight room, but the other areas of my life are starting to catch up to me. I've gotten too chubby over holiday break - I'm up to 225 now but should probably be about 210-215 right now if I lost unnecessary fat.

So obviously I have some changes to make in my life if I want to succeed at this. I have one year of football left for the rest of my life but that still hasn't really hit me yet. It can be tough to focus on football as much as I want to in college with the "real world" looming closer every day, but at the same time that is an excuse. I still have plenty of free time I could be using towards cooking, planning, stretching, etc. I guess if there is any advice I can give right now, even though it's so damn cliche, is to not let your sports seasons pass you by. This has been the fastest 3 years of my life. So fast that, like I said earlier, it still really hasn't hit me yet. But these past 2 seasons being disappointments have really hit my self-confidence and my drive in general. I'm not like a completely unconfident, fat slob by any means. But I know I should be much further along then I am. Part of it is because I just haven't been dedicated enough to put in the work, and the other part is I lost some hope and confidence after those seasons.

But enough with all of that. I need to make this sh*t COUNT. I'm going to start eating better, drinking less, and am going to start taking sleep more seriously.

Unless we make the playoff, my football career will be over in about 309 days.

309 days to make it count.
    Last edited by LiftNPlay; 01-07-2016 at 08:55 AM.

kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Welcome back to the Sports section, brah. You haven't posted in forever.

Sorry to hear things weren't going great but I believe you gon' make it brah!
    Any idea how you will go about your training from now on?
    Basic Football / Sports Training Guide:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172545001

Train smart.

LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kingmode View Post
    Welcome back to the Sports section, brah. You haven't posted in forever.

Sorry to hear things weren't going great but I believe you gon' make it brah!
    Any idea how you will go about your training from now on?
    Don't feel sorry for me man! I just didn't do everything I could to make it happen. At least that's how I like to look at things. Yeah some of it probably was out of my control. But if you focus on the things out of your control, you'll feel helpless and won't have the motivation to change it.

As for training, I'm doing the lifts prescribed by the lifting coaches which is why I won't be posting the exact workouts I am doing. Aside from that, I need to correct my anterior pelvic tilt that I naturally have but that has gotten worse as I've gotten more imbalanced between my quads/hip flexors (tight) and my glutes/lower abs (weak). Doing yoga that is offered to sports players twice a week next semester will really help with that. Getting more mobile and flexible is probably my biggest weak point right now. But we all know stretching and mobility work are a lot less fun than lifting.

kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000) kingmode is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by LiftNPlay View Post
    Don't feel sorry for me man! I just didn't do everything I could to make it happen. At least that's how I like to look at things. Yeah some of it probably was out of my control. But if you focus on the things out of your control, you'll feel helpless and won't have the motivation to change it.

As for training, I'm doing the lifts prescribed by the lifting coaches which is why I won't be posting the exact workouts I am doing. Aside from that, I need to correct my anterior pelvic tilt that I naturally have but that has gotten worse as I've gotten more imbalanced between my quads/hip flexors (tight) and my glutes/lower abs (weak). Doing yoga that is offered to sports players twice a week next semester will really help with that. Getting more mobile and flexible is probably my biggest weak point right now. But we all know stretching and mobility work are a lot less fun than lifting.
    ayy brah.
    mobility is my biggest weak point as well. always thought I was flexible but am actually stiff AF in a lot of positions.
    do you not post the workouts because your coach doesn't want you to or because there's no set template?

Train smart.

ayy brah.
    mobility is my biggest weak point as well. always thought I was flexible but am actually stiff AF in a lot of positions.
    do you not post the workouts because your coach doesn't want you to or because there's no set template?
    I don't post out of respect for my coach. I've never asked before but since it's his work made for us I would assume he wouldn't want me putting it out.

My lower body lift this morning was decent. My back was sore afterwards and still is a little bit. Just a constant reminder than I have to fix this imbalance. I'm just about to go do some agility work and maybe some plyos.

308 days to make it count.

I don't post out of respect for my coach. I've never asked before but since it's his work made for us I would assume he wouldn't want me putting it out.
    Is it okay if I ask you some training related questions or would you rather keep this log free from any conversations?

Train smart.

Is it okay if I ask you some training related questions or would you rather keep this log free from any conversations?
    I'd be glad to offer advice. Go ahead man!

Today (Saturday) I ate decent and did some conditioning. I did an extended pro-agility so that each line was about 20 yards from the center. This would mean each rep was 80 yards total (20 to the first line, 40 all the way across, 20 back through the start). I did 8 reps at a decent intensity and was pretty tired after. I can tell I'm out of shape but I already knew that coming in so I'm not discouraged or anything. Just gotta keep putting in the work and dedication.

I'm thinking about possibly starting Bulletproof Coffee. I know I looked at it around last year but didn't end up doing it for some reason. I'll put in some research tomorrow to see if it's legit. Any readers have any experience with it? It also depends how pricey it is. A friend just brought it up after it was talked about in an article on Brian Cushing (NFL LB) and that's what got me thinking about it again. Also will review my supplements in the near future and see if there is anything I should change. But, health starts with real food so I'm going to get that cleaned up first.

307 days to make it count.

I'd be glad to offer advice. Go ahead man!
    Alright, thanks, man! Appreciate it a lot.

I'm currently undecided what workout program to follow. ATM I'm on an U/L that has 2 strength/power focused days and 2 hypertrophy focused days. I'm making progress on all lifts but I'm not sure if my progress could be faster because I flat bench, deadlift, incline bench and RDL all only once per week (no squats atm because of left knee joint/bone issues).

Was thinking of an U/L that repeats the same workouts in one week. so there's no Upper A, Upper B etc.
    only one Upper and one Lower workout that I do twice per week to improve on all lifts twice per week.
    Am not sure tho if that will lead to overuse injuries or that I'll miss out on gains because of the lack of variety.

What kind of program/set up would you recommend? How often should I bench, deadlift etc. per week?

Poverty stats:
    19yo, 180lbs, Safety:

Bench 231lbs x 3
    Squat 308lbs x 3
    DL 402lbs x 3

Train smart.

Alright, thanks, man! Appreciate it a lot.

I'm currently undecided what workout program to follow. ATM I'm on an U/L that has 2 strength/power focused days and 2 hypertrophy focused days. I'm making progress on all lifts but I'm not sure if my progress could be faster because I flat bench, deadlift, incline bench and RDL all only once per week (no squats atm because of left knee joint/bone issues).

Was thinking of an U/L that repeats the same workouts in one week. so there's no Upper A, Upper B etc.
    only one Upper and one Lower workout that I do twice per week to improve on all lifts twice per week.
    Am not sure tho if that will lead to overuse injuries or that I'll miss out on gains because of the lack of variety.

What kind of program/set up would you recommend? How often should I bench, deadlift etc. per week?

Poverty stats:
    19yo, 180lbs, Safety:

Bench 231lbs x 3
    Squat 308lbs x 3
    DL 402lbs x 3
    In my opinion and what I've seen on other programs (including the one I am doing right now) it would be better to have Upper A, Lower A, Upper B, Lower B. Remember that for sports, you lift to get better on the field/court/whatever. You don't lift to try to get better at maxing. On my program, we usually only do each main lift once per week.

Where did you get your program from?
    Last edited by LiftNPlay; 01-10-2016 at 08:50 AM.

In my opinion and what I've seen on other programs (including the one I am doing right now) it would be better to have Upper A, Lower A, Upper B, Lower B. Remember that for sports, you lift to get better on the field/court/whatever. You don't lift to try to get better at maxing. On my program, we usually only do each main lift once per week.

Where did you get your program from?
    Thanks, man.
    I based my program on Brandon Campell's PHUL which is based on Layne Norton's PHAT. My version is more balanced in terms of push pull and quad hammie ratio and I changed quiet a few exercises to make it more geared towards sports...

Train smart.

Thanks, man.
    I based my program on Brandon Campell's PHUL which is based on Layne Norton's PHAT. My version is more balanced in terms of push pull and quad hammie ratio and I changed quiet a few exercises to make it more geared towards sports...
    I would suggest getting on a sports-based program. PHAT/PHUL are bodybuilding-based programs. Here is a very popular free program in the sports community: WS4SB3. At lease you could use that as your base and then add whatever you want onto that. Joe Defanco (the guy who wrote the program in the link above) trains many collegiate and pro athletes and is definitely a legit trainer who knows his stuff. He also has a program called SB911 which is basically his newest, paid version of WS4SB3. I've never used it nor read reviews about it so I would tell you to do your research before choosing whether to buy it or not.
    Last edited by LiftNPlay; 01-11-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Monday, January 11th

Got in a good upper body lift this morning. For extra lifts, I did a 3 sets of a tri-set consisting of:
    -12x DB Bicep Curls
    -12x Tricep Cable Push-Downs
    -5x Band Pull-Aparts (work the rear delts).

Running:
    -5 yard starts from push-up position (6 reps)
    -A March/Skip and B March/Skip (2 reps each)
    -20 yard build-ups (5 yards jog, 15 yards sprint, 4 reps)
    -1 step, 2 step, and 3 step wall running (4 reps each)
    -40 yard sprints (sprinter-stance start, 4 reps)
    -Conditioning: 200m runs (4 reps)

Here is the general layout of the program I am currently doing:
    -Monday: Upper Body Lift 1 and Speed
    -Tuesday: Lower Body Lift 1 and Lower Body Plyos
    -Thursday: Upper Body Lift 2 and Upper Body Plyos
    -Friday: Lower Body Lift 2 and Agility
    -Saturday: Conditioning (if I feel fresh enough)

I'll usually do a conditioning finisher for the running workouts (I call the non-lifting workouts "running workouts") at least twice a week on whatever days I feel up to it.

Also, 20,000 views! Crazy. Thanks to everybody who has followed and/or continues to follow even after my hiatus. But I promise I'll be posting on here throughout the rest of this year to document my final year of football.

305 days to make it count.
    Last edited by LiftNPlay; 01-11-2016 at 07:40 PM.

I would suggest getting on a sports-based program. PHAT/PHUL are bodybuilding-based programs. Here is a very popular free program in the sports community: WS4SB3. At lease you could use that as your base and then add whatever you want onto that. Joe Defanco (the guy who wrote the program in the link above) trains many collegiate and pro athletes and is definitely a legit trainer who knows his stuff. He also has a program called SB911 which is basically his newest, paid version of WS4SB3. I've never used it nor read reviews about it so I would tell you to do your research before choosing whether to buy it or not.
    hey, man, thanks.
    been running WSFSB1 and 3 for a long time. I follow Joe D. on social media and his website since 3 years and I thought about buying SB911 but I don't know if it's worth it.

Train smart.

Tuesday, January 12th

Another solid day. I did legs this morning and finished with 3x6 laying leg-lowers with an emphasis on keeping the low back pressed into the ground. This activates the lower abs more, which I need to strengthen to help correct my APT. Tonight I did a lower-body plyometric workout consisting of:
    -30 Degree Broad Jumps (2x3 each direction)
    -1 Leg Box Jumps (3x3 each leg)
    -Staggered-Stance Box Springs (one leg on a short box, the other behind on the ground, jump and shoot the arms like a sprint step; 3x3 each leg)
    -Vertical Jumps (3x3)
    -Conditioning: 30 yard sprints down and back (total of 60 yards per rep), 8 times

I also stretched my legs after both lifts. Here is a good article I came across yesterday and I thought I would share it:
    Life Won't Wait: Embrace The Pain

304 days to make it count.

PS: Any links I put up on this journal are only because I like the content and nothing else. I'm not affiliated or getting paid for anything. If it ever gets to that point, I will specifically state that in the post.

PPS: I'll try to finish every post from now on with a link, thought, advice, or something of that nature to give you guys something more than just reading what I am doing.
    Last edited by LiftNPlay; 01-12-2016 at 06:53 PM.

Thursday, January 14

Good upper body lifting session this morning. I finished with:
    -3x6 Chin-Ups with a focus on contracting the biceps
    -3x10 Band-Resisted Dips
    -3x10 Bent Over Reverse DB Flies

Tonight, I did my agility workout (I'll do upper body plyos tomorrow). I did:
    -3x each way pro agility
    -Footwork drills over lines (forwards and backward, side to side, and one foot)
    -3x each way 5x5 box drills
    -Conditioning: Medium-intensity 5,10.15 shuttle runs (total of 60 yards per rep)

I felt pretty tired during my running session, but I tried to go hard and be focused. Even though conditioning with medium-intensity it still felt pretty tough. Regardless, I'll finish out the week hard tomorrow with lower body and upper body plyos. If I am feeling run down, I'll take it a little easier to start the week next week.

Thought of the day: Listen to your body. Going hard is glamorous, but sometimes you need time off if you are feeling run down. It's a constant battle to find that fine line between doing too much and not doing enough. I would err on the side of doing a little too much, but make sure you aren't pushing yourself past your limits. If you do, you open yourself up to injury, sickness, constant fatigue, etc. Go hard, and recover hard!

302 days to make it count.

Friday, January 15

Very solid finish to the week. I had an early leg lift and, although my legs were tired, I pushed through. I finished off with some ab work (again working on the lower abs and obliques). This afternoon I did my first upper body plyo session in forever consisting of:
    -3x3 Split-stance chest passes into the wall (3 reps each leg up per set)
    -2x3 Throw from the ground for height
    -2x4 One-Leg throw from the ground for height (2 sets each leg)
    -4x2 Throw backwards from the ground for distance
    -3x3 Single arm pas into the wall (3 reps each arm per set)
    -Conditioning: Medium-intensity 20 yards shuttle (down, back, down, back, down for total of 100 yards per rep), 6 times

This has been my best week in some time for working out. This journal definitely helps motivate me and keep me accountable. I'm tired right now, so I'll listen to my body next week like I said in yesterdays post. I won't be doing conditioning tomorrow since I conditioned after every running session this week. Once next week starts, I'll be below 300 days until my football career is over. Gotta keep my mind and actions on the sport I love.

Motivational/Lifting song of the day: King Los - War

301 days to make it count.

Monday, January 18

Okay day today. This morning lift was solid. For extra lifts I did:
    -3x8 Barbell Curls
    -3x12 Straight-Bar Tricep Push-Downs
    -3x15 Band Face Pulls

Tonight I did linear speed work. I was tired but I tried to push through. I kept it pretty short and did:
    -10 Yard starts, 4 reps
    -25 Yard sprints, 4 reps
    -Seated Arm Running, 4 reps
    -A march/skip, B march/skip, 1 rep each for 10 yards
    -40 Yard sprints, 4 reps

I didn't eat very well today and didn't get good sleep last night, which explains why I was tired for running. I'll do better tomorrow.

Podcast of the day: The MFCEO Project. It is centered around entrepreneurship, but it covers a wide range of success principles that can be applied to any area of life. The main host, Andy Frisella, is an awesome speaker and doesn't sugar coat anything.

298 days left to make it count.

Thursday, January 21

Decent day so far. I got okay sleep. I did my upper body workout this morning but didn't do extras and didn't stretch. Only a few hours after that lift, I went back in and did upper body plyos consisting of:
    -6x3 Med ball tosses for height (start from ground)
    -3x3 Med ball side tosses (3 reps each side per set)
    -5x4 Single-leg med ball slams (4 reps each leg per set)
    -10 reps of forward underhand throw for distance (start from ground)

Thought of the day: Still hard to fathom I have 1 season left for the rest of my life. After that there is no more football for me. Gotta make this season count since I haven't been truly satisfied with a season (personally and team-wise) since junior year of high school. Finishing with regrets would be the worst part. With a new coach coming in, everyone has a level playing field and no spot is safe. However it happens, I need to make it happen.

296 days to make it count.

Friday, January 29

School started back up again this week. We are doing a 3 day a week program. We 'maxed' for 5RMs for bench and squat this week within our workouts. I got 285 for 5 reps on bench, and I did 420 for 6 reps on the squat (it was my second 5RM attempt, so I wasn't feeling up for putting on more and trying to only get 5). Next week, yoga starts up. It's really early in the morning, but I'll try to get there at least once per week.

Lifting song of the day: Meek Mill - I'm Leanin

288 days to make it count.

Saturday, February 6

Another solid week in the books! This lifting program is definitely working. I was playing basketball at our rec last weekend and noticed that I can jump as well as I could back when I weighed 195. I am right around 220 currently. Just something I noticed and it really stuck out to me as proof of our lifting program's effect. The new HC was hired this week. It's very exciting to now know what the future looks like for this program!

Thought of the day: Execution is the only thing that matters. It doesn't matter how hard it feels like your working. It doesn't matter how much you're on "the grind". Results are the only thing that matters. Don't get caught up in the machismo of training for sports. If you were in the weight room for 1 hour being efficient and are using a great program, you are going to get better than the guy that was in the weight room for 3 hours even though his body is breaking down. This principle is what our lifting program is based off of. Yes, it's hard at times. But were not pushing to failure everyday. Training doesn't always have to be super hard to work well.

280 days to make it count.

Tuesday, March 1

Training is still going well. I am really liking our program this year. It is focused more on learning correct movement patterns and then using them more and more instead of just doing a bunch of work the wrong way from the start. I feel it is definitely making me faster and more efficient in my movements. I think we have this week of training, next week of training, spring break for a week, then we start morning spring ball workouts when we get back from SB. Excited to get back out onto the field! I weight around 227 now. I'll be fine with anything above a lean-enough 220 by the time Fall Camp rolls around.

Thought of the day: Try to find fulfillment and happiness in the current moment while always striving for more. Too many times we put happiness outside of ourselves and in the future. "When we win" "When I start for the first game" "When I make varsity". Obviously, it's impossible to always be happy. But know that, if you focus, you can find happiness in yourself right now. All you ever have is the present, and that future moment you look forward to to bring you happiness will also be the present moment when it arrives. Be grateful for what you have in life, be proud of what you have accomplished, but always strive for more. I know this principle is something I still struggle with. I think a lot of athletes have this problem - they are so focused on their goals and the next step that they find it hard to be satisfied with where they are at right now. When you put happiness and fulfillment only in future goals, then they will never be enough. It will be "when I make HS varsity", "when I start HS varsity" "When I am all-conference in HS" "When I got a college offer" and so on. Always try to find that balance of being happy now but still hungry for more.

P.S. Our schedule came out so I now know for sure how many 'guaranteed' (obviously barring injury) days of football I have left in my life (for newer readers, the number below is how many days there are until the final regular season game of next season).

255 days to make it count.

thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good stuff in here man!
    Bench: 255lbs (115kg)
    Squat: 320lbs (145kg)
    Deadlift: 430lbs (195kg)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will." Vince Lombardi.