Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10)

POST 90

PAGE 4

MONDAY

Morning
    -Sprints
    -Conditioning

Afternoon
    -4x4 Plyo Push Ups
    -Max 3 rep bench (235 PR)
    -4x8 DB BORs
    -4x12 Seated DB Shoulder Press
    -4x8 Chin-Ups
    -4x10 DB Rear Delt Flies
    -4x6 Lockouts
    -4x7 Reverse Curls
    5' 11", 225 lbs
    BF: ~17%
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 485
    Power Clean: 295

Patience and Hard Work.

My journal from high school football through my current college football career:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145019721&pagenumber

LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    TUESDAY

Afternoon
    -4x5 Hang Cleans
    -4x8 Front Squat (only got 5 on last set)
    -4x10 DB RDL
    -4x5 Plate-Overhead Bench Step-Ups
    -3x Weighted Abs

New front squat form felt good. Definitely forces you to stay upright, almost dumped the bar on my last rep of the 3rd set.

WEDNESDAY

Morning
    -Ladder

Afternoon
    -Plyos

After plyos I did the 3 stretches I showed in the video I posted somewhere on page 3.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

My journal from high school football through my current college football career:

LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Good stuff.

How'd Powercleans with WS4SB3 work for you?

Originally Posted by LegitSalsa View Post
    Good stuff.

How'd Powercleans with WS4SB3 work for you?
    Pretty good, I would just put them in after max squats on friday and in place of box jumps on tuesday.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

POST 95

MONDAY

Morning
    -Cone Drills
    -Conditioning

Afternoon
    -Max 3rep Incline Bench
    -4x5 Plyo Push-Ups
    -4x10 BORs
    -4x7 Military Press
    -4x8 Chin-Ups w 10lb weight
    -3x Blackburns
    -4x8 Skull Crushers
    -4x8 Incline Curls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIPthBp_DKM - Blackburns

Workout went good today, not much else to say.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

TUESDAY

Afternoon
    -4x6 Hang Cleans
    -4x10 Front Squats
    -4x7 DB RDL
    -4x3 DB Jump Lunge
    -3x Ab Circut

WEDNESDAY

Morning
    -Ladder
    -Hurdles
    -Conditioning

Afternoon
    -Plyometrics

Front squat form is getting easier. Will probably try to max out power clean this friday.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

THURSDAY

Afternoon
    -4x6 Push Press
    -4x12 DB Bench
    -4x12 Chainsaws
    -4x6 DB Incline Bench
    -4x10 Lateral Raises
    -4x10 Face Pulls
    -4x4 Weighted Chin-Ups
    -3x8 Hammer Curls SS 3x8 Tricep Extensions

Felt like going hard on my shoulders today.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

POST 98

lol

FRIDAY

Morning
    -Sprints
    -Conditioning

Afternoon
    -Max Power Clean (245)
    -4x8 Low Pulls
    -4x10 Deadlifts
    -4x5 Pistol Squats
    -4x10 Single Leg Glute Bridges
    -3x10 DB Shrugs
    -3x15 Calf Raises
    -3x Ab Circut

My HS gym is never open Friday after school so I have to go to my local community center. The atmosphere isn't the same and I can get more than 245 for PC once I do it at my HS. I think I lightly sprained my lower back (left side), but it has been getting better everyday and I hope for it to be at least 90% tomorrow and at or near 100% for legs on tuesday. The program calls for a somewhat deload type week and I had planned to use the weights from the first week (the reps for the "deload" are the same as first week but lower weight), but if my back is still an issue I can just use the weight it calls for which is nice. It only gives you what weight to use on a couple lifts a day at most so, even if I "deload", I will still be going at normal intensity for most of the lifts (mostly the main compounds are the ones that it tells you what weight to use).

Hopped on my house scale Saturday morning and weighed 186.5 which was a suprise to me. Last time I weighed myself (about 2.5 weeks ago) I was 183.5 but that was after a morning workout and using a much more accurate scale. It was the wrestlers scale but they may have put it away now that the season is over which sucks becuase I won't know for sure if I gained (I'll check to see if they did tomorrow). I don't want to be putting on too much too fast, so I will monitor my weight this whole week and may or may not cut back just slighlt (and I mean slightly) on my eating. I do want to get back to eating more healthy. I still am eating almost all healthy but have been getting just a little lax on the matter as of late. I watched a few Chris Jones (funny dude) vids on youtube this weekend while I was bored which probably motivated me to start being more healthy.
    Last edited by LiftNPlay; 03-10-2013 at 05:27 PM.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

MONDAY

Morning
    -Sprints
    -Conditioning

Afternoon
    -4x6 Plyo Push-Ups
    -225 bench for as many reps as possible (4)
    -4x8 BORs
    -4x10 Shoulder Press
    -4x8 Neutral Grip Pull-Ups
    -4x10 Rear Delt Cables
    -4x4 Floor Press
    -4x8 EZ Bar Curls

Back felt really good while lifting, hopefully will be 100% by tomorrow. My 40 starting stance felt more unstable than usual so I will practice them on Wednesday and Friday mornings. Weighed 186.5 after my morning sesh on a old-fashioned type scale at my school so that basically confirms I am 186.5 (the wrestling one was put away). The plan right now is do just a small little cut and either maintain or drop to no less than 185 by Sunday morning.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

P
    O
    S
    T

TUESDAY

Afternoon
    -4x4 Low Pulls
    -4x6 Front Squats
    -4x4 Single Leg Squats
    -4x8 Leg Curls SS 4x10 Bar Only Good Mornings
    -3x Ab Circut

Back felt good but I still decided to take it easy and take out back intensive lifts. I did low pulls instead of hang cleans and leg curls instead of RDLs. I did good mornings with just the bar to give my back a little bit of stimulation. My weight this mornings was 184.5 so I will continue to monitor that. I didn't really eat less than normal but could easily be water weight.

Have no special insights for post 100 so I will toss in some cool videos and good quotes:

*COMING SOON*
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

REPLY 100 (lol, two 100 specials!)

WEDNESDAY

Morning
    -Ladder
    -Sprints
    -Conditioning

Afternoon
    -Plyos

Back felt fine, so I am going to say its back to 100%. Got terrible sleep but still had a pretty good day as far as training goes.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

FRIDAY

Morning
    -3x5 Power Cleans
    -3x5 Squats
    -3x5 Assisted Pistol Squats
    -3x6 Good Mornings
    -3x8 Jump Lunges
    -3x12 Shrugs
    -3x18 Calf Raises
    -3x Weighted Abs

Afternoon
    -Ladder
    -Conditioning

Couldn't fall asleep last night and got all of this done off of 4 hours of sleep. I went to a BFS seminar after the afternoon workout (the character session; lifting session is tomorrow) and won the wall sit competition. What did you do today?
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

MONDAY

Morning
    -Cone Drills
    -Conditioning

Night
    -5x5 Plyo Push-Ups
    -5x10 BORs
    -4x12 Military Press
    -4x8 Tricep Pull-Downs
    -4x8 DB Incline Bench
    -3x5 Straight Bar Curls
    -3x8 Pull-Ups
    -3x8 Seated Power Cleans

I have to start working after school (usually about 2-3 times per week because im one of the few teen employees who doesn't play a spring sport) until 6 so I have to work out at the local community center gym instead of my high school after work which makes for tough (tired) workouts and long days. A good friend of mine who plays D3 college bball is home on spring break so he is lifting with me this week which is nice for an easier transition but after this week its going to be me all alone in that gym which is going to be tough. Oh well, no excuses! I have to work 4 days after school this week but like I said usually it will only be about 2-3 days. Hope everyone reading this is still out there grinding!

P.S. Final Four Picks: Duke, New Mexico, Florida, and Indiana with Duke over Indiana in the titile game. "Cinderella" pick is Butler making it to the elite eight before being beat by Indiana. Although I have them losing in the second round, I could see UNC beating Kansas because a. Kansas hasn't had the best tourney success in the past few years and b. UNC has the athletes to get hot (but in turn are a very inconsistent team). Also Wisconsin makes it to the elite eight but loses to New Mexico because they can never seem to make it over the hump in the tournament. Post your picks below!
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

Thanks for all the views! Hope this journal continues to help motivate you!

TUESDAY

Afternoon
    -5x4 Power Cleans
    -5x6 Squats
    -4x8 RDLs
    -4x8 Plate-Overhead Bench Step-Ups
    -3x15 Calf Raises
    -3x10 Power Shrugs
    -3x Circut Abs

Been a while since I posted. The long days of school/work/workout really wore on me. Friday leg day was a real struggle. That was probably as many days as I will ever work after school so it will get better. Weighed in at 185.5 this morning. My friend is starting Wendlers 5/3/1 so I am interested to see what kind of results he will get. I have been boredom eating (not a ton but still shouldn't be) at work and the junk I eat there is starting to carry into my regular diet so I am cutting all that out 100% starting now. Mostly just candy/chips or stuff like that. Still haven't had a sip of soda in almost 2 years.

Had been thinking about whether or not I would drink in college lately (don't get the wrong impression I don't do it at all right now). It just seems like almost everybody, even athletes, do even if it is only on occasion. But I'm going to take the better road and stay away from all of that. I have 4 years left for my entire life to play a game I love so why not make the most out of it? Even after footall I am not sure if I will. It just seems funny how alcohol is somehow "fine" and nobody thinks negatively about it like they do drugs even though it has side-effects as well. Just my rant/two-cents.

Great song that is about drug-abuse but you could see how it could carry over to my train of thought:

Last edited by LiftNPlay; 03-26-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Is this your college workout now?

Also, not gonna lie, drinking is probably worse for you than most minor drugs and smoking. Not that I've ever done any of that stuff, but I know a lot of people that have screwed themselves over with even regular beer.

I mix the workout with some of my own stuff. My thought has always been how will I get better than everyone else if I am only doing what they do so I do more on top of what it calls for.

I get what you're saying. Even drinking on occasion has negative affects on athletic performance so you don't have to be an addict or heavy drinker for it to affect you.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

WEDNESDAY

Morning
    -Ladder Drills
    -Conditioning

Afternoon
    -Plyometrics
    -Stair Runs

We had a short school day today and our HS gym wasn't open so I went to our local community center gym. It has an ice rink with concrete blechers with big steps and small steps so I did less vertical jumping and did stair runs/jumps instead (I did do some vertical plyos and a good amount of horizontal plyos though.)

We don't have school tomorrow or Friday (or the following Monday) and I don't have to work those days (besides Monday but it is a short shift) so it will be a really nice break where I can get some good rest/quiet time (I will still be lifting, I just mean throughout the day).
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

Also, I am going to try to start stretching more. I did the agile 8 and some other lower body stretches after my morning workout and did the agile 8 and other upper and lower body stretches after the afternoon workout.

I did a write-up on all the facets of becoming a better athlete (as far as training goes) when I was bored during class today but its too long to post over my phone so I will put it up tomorrow. It's just some food for thought type of stuff.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

THURSDAY

Morning
    -5x4 Split Jerks
    -5x6 Bench Press
    -4x8 DB BORs
    -4x8 Wide-Grip Chins
    -4x7 Incline DB Bench
    -4x10 Face Pulls
    -4x7 Rolling Tricep Extensions
    -4x6 DB Curls

Here are all the areas of training that I came up with to make a better athlete (in no particular order):
    -Strength
    -Size
    -Explosiveness
    -Linear Speed
    -Agility
    -Endurance
    -Coordination
    -Sport-Specific Skill
    -Flexibility
    -Nutrition
    -Rest
    Last edited by LiftNPlay; 03-29-2013 at 11:57 AM.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

You should do an article on endurance. I'd like to read that, as that's an area I have no experience in...

Ha I don't know if I'm very qualified to be writing articles. I may read some stuff this weekend and just post a summary of it. I do know that Llayne Norton said research has shown that traditional cardio (treadmill, jogging, etc) has been shown to slow muscular gains while HIIT (sprints, circuits, etc) has been shown to increase it. HIIT also transfers over to sports better than traditional cardio. Take football for example: ~6 second plays followed by 30 seconds rest. It's just like an extremely long HIIT workout. Also during HIIT workouts you do explosive movements (sprints, jumps, throws, etc)
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

MONDAY

Morning
    -Cone Drills
    -Conditioning

Afternoon
    -Max 3 rep bench (240-4 reps)
    -5x6 BORs
    -4x10 DB Incline Bench
    -4x8 Neutral Grip Chin-Ups
    -4x8 Standing DB Press
    -4x10 Defranco 3D Band-Pull Aparts
    -4x8 Dips
    -4x8 Neutral Grip Band Curls

Some friends and I went to a warehouse type gym in a city about 7 miles away from mine for the afternoon workout because it was free today. They had real lifting bands (the one in my gym is a rehab band) so I used them to try the new band pull-aparts I saw on Defranco's (stand on the band and do the pull-aparts so you work rear delts and mid delts) and used a heavier one for curls (I stood on the band and did the lift).

I was suprised I got 240 for 4 reps because my previous 3 rep max was 235.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

TUESDAY

Afternoon
    -3 Rep Max Squat (365)
    -5x3 Power Cleans
    -4x6 Barbell Reverse Lunges
    -4x8 Good Mornings
    -4x12 Barbell Shrugs
    -4x15 Barbell Calf Raises
    -2x Ab Circut

Increased my squat 3RM from 355 (can't remember how long ago it was) to 365. As you can see I am going to start including the 3-5RM exercises on Monday and Tuesday. I don't like doing the max rep squats on Friday because that is usually the day I am the most tired/run-down.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

Here is my general program outline. I made it into program format and would like to know what you guys think.
    I'll call it Volume Sports Training (VST for short).

VST

MONDAY
    +3-5 Rep Max Bench
    -3-4 x 6-10 Horizontal Pull SS Rear Delt
    -3-4 x 6-10 DB Bench
    -3-4 x 6-10 Vertical Pull
    -3-4 x 6-10 DB Shoulder Press/Raise
    -3-4 x 6-10 Biceps
    -3-4 x 6-10 Triceps

TUESDAY
    +3-5 Rep Max Front/Back Squat
    -4-5 x 3-5 Power/Hang Cleans
    -3-4 x 6-10 Unilateral
    -3-4 x 6-10 Posterior Chain
    -4 x 10-15 Traps
    -4 x 12-15 Calves
    -4 x 10-12 Weighted Abs

THURSDAY
    +3-5 x 3-8 Military Press
    -3-4 x 6-10 Vertical Pull
    -3-4 x 6-10 Bench
    -3-4 x 6-10 Horizontal Pull SS Rear Delt
    -3-4 x 6-10 DB Bench
    -3-4 x 6-10 Biceps
    -3-4 x 6-10 Triceps

FRIDAY
    +3-5 x 3-8 Power/Hang Cleans
    -3-4 x 6-10 Front/Back Squats
    -3-4 x 6-10 Unilateral
    -3-4 x 6-10 Posterior Chain
    -4 x 10-15 Traps
    -4 x 12-15 Calves
    -3x Bodyweight Circut Abs

Where there is an exercise/exercise, do one for one day and the other for the other day and switch them the next week. Example: If you do back squat for your 3-5RM on Tuesday, do front squats for Friday's squats. The next week, do front squats for your 3-5RM on Tuesday and back squats for Friday. The first lift of the day has a + by it because it is the lift that you are going heavy on.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

WEDNESDAY

Morning
    -Lazy Ladders

Afternoon
    -Plyos
    -Hill Sprints/Conditioning

I went to bed at 9 but woke up at 2:30 for some reason and couldn't get back to be without waking up every so often. I was dead tired at the gym this morning and my ladder "workout" was pretty bad. I cut that short and did a stretching routine so I would at least get some benefit from the workout.

I had to work after school and went to my civic center's gym at 6. I was the same tired as I was in the morning but halfway through decided I was going to just get it done. I had a good plyo sesh and then went outside in my workout clothes in 38 degree weather to do sprints on a road about a block away from the gym. In before pneumonia!

5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

Went to bed at 9:15 thursday night and literally was up until 4:30 and got one hour of sleep before getting up to go to the gym. Still got a solid morning workout in (did ladders, skipped conditioning) but I skipped my afternoon workout and went home after school and slept until 9, and then went back to bed at 12 and slept till 7. Had to work and then went to the gym this afternoon.

SATURDAY

Afternoon
    -4x4 Snatches
    -4x8 Squats
    -4x8 Barbell Lunges
    -4x8 Raised Deadlifts (I was raised off the floor, not the bar.)
    -4x12 Barbell Shrugs
    -4x14 Calf Raises
    Tri-Set
    -4x12 Weighted Sit-Ups
    -4x12 Wood Choppers
    -4x12 Teapots
    Crossfit-Style Conditioning
    -Jump up 8 2' stairs twice
    -Run Up same stairs twice
    -Run around 200m track
    -Repeat 4x

One of my better overall workouts in a loooong time. Did all hard lifts then did tough conditioning. I like snatching! Form isn't too bad for just starting and I can do pretty decent weight (did 155x4, prolly coulda done 165x4). I came up with the abs tri-set myself and I like it. You hit abs, then mid obliques, then side obliques. I'm going to start doing crossfit-style conditioning once a week instead of my usual sprint conditioning. Just a nice way to switch things up and also mentally toughening. Don't get me wrong, I am not going to start doing crossfit lifting, only conditioning, only once per week. Now sitting here sipping on my new favorite drink: Skim milk, chocolate casein, banana, and ice.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

My legs from Saturday were sore until Wednesday! I was pretty tired this whole week and had less intense workouts than usual. My only real hard day was Thursday upper body. Plan to get back on the saddle next week and will post then. I guess you could say this was my "deload" week although I kept the same volume, just didn't go as intense.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

WEDNESDAY

Morning
    -Sprints
    -Conditioning

Afternoon
    -Plyos

I focused mostly on single leg plyos this afternoon. I usually don't eat anything between school lunch and workout but I am going to start bringing pre-workout meals from now on. I tried to hit 405 on squat on Tuesday but could tell when I was working up that I was tired and didn't get it. My maxes aren't coming along as I hoped so I'm going to start doing either 5/3/1 or the original WS4SB3 (as far as the core lifts go). Currently I have been doing 3rm bench and squat on Monday and Tuesday and just regular sets bench and squat Thursday and Friday. Also having mixed thoughts on this but thinking of going for 200lbs (body weight) by the end of July. I am currently averaging about 187 lbs. That would mean be about 192 by the end of May, 196 by the end of June, and 200 by the end of July. I just don't want to get fat.

What do you guys think I should do?
    Last edited by LiftNPlay; 04-24-2013 at 06:41 PM.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

5/3/1 does wonders for squats I've heard.

I'd go 190ish if I were you. You still have a 4(?) years of college ball ahead of you. It's not like you need to hit ideal weight right away, might as well do it right.

I'm going to shoot for 195 (morning weight) and if I don't make it, no big deal. Right now I am about 188-189 first thing in the morning weigh-ins. Mid-afternoon I am around 191.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.