AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squat and Deadlifts correlate to Vertical Jump?

Ive been doing some research for my summer training routine, which I want to focus on gaining weight and speed/vert. What im understanding is that if you can develope a squat and deadlift that is very high compared to bodyweight(or strength to mass ratio), you will develope a much higher vert and be faster. I have a 34 inch vert, 4.8 40, with a 210lb squat @155lbs (obviously thats terrible and always have had a weak squat). People are squating 100lbs+ more than me at my weight but I can jump a lot higher and run as fast/faster.

My question is, has anyone been able to raise vertical and lower 40 time by increasing DL/Squat to bw ratio? Does this mean that I have a lot more potential than my current numbers? I know that websites say it will help but I haven't heard any people confirming that it does.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breath, then you will be successful"

Sophomore Football Highlights http://www.hudl.com/athlete/875481/

Bench/Squat
    Start: 45lbs/95lbs~Sept 2010
    Now: 210lbs/225lbs

40 Yard Dash
    Start: 5.3~Sept 2010
    Now: 4.73

Vertical
    Start: 22~Sept 2010
    Now: 34 (48in Box Jump)

Shuttle
    Start: 4.6~April 2012
    Now: 4.3

LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes, the more you squat/dl, the stronger your legs will be, so the faster you can run and the higher you can jump.

HighRolluh is not very helpful. (-500) HighRolluh is not very helpful. (-500) HighRolluh is not very helpful. (-500) HighRolluh is not very helpful. (-500) HighRolluh is not very helpful. (-500) HighRolluh is not very helpful. (-500) HighRolluh is not very helpful. (-500) HighRolluh is not very helpful. (-500) HighRolluh is not very helpful. (-500) HighRolluh is not very helpful. (-500) HighRolluh is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by AthELiTE7 View Post
    Ive been doing some research for my summer training routine, which I want to focus on gaining weight and speed/vert. What im understanding is that if you can develope a squat and deadlift that is very high compared to bodyweight(or strength to mass ratio), you will develope a much higher vert and be faster. I have a 34 inch vert, 4.8 40, with a 210lb squat @155lbs (obviously thats terrible and always have had a weak squat). People are squating 100lbs+ more than me at my weight but I can jump a lot higher and run as fast/faster.

My question is, has anyone been able to raise vertical and lower 40 time by increasing DL/Squat to bw ratio? Does this mean that I have a lot more potential than my current numbers? I know that websites say it will help but I haven't heard any people confirming that it does.

Squats, DLs, RDLs strengthen the lower body which then can deliver more strength and thus more noticeable results. Hamstrings, ass, hip flexors, abs, and lower back are probably neglected compared to quads and calves so need to be strengthened. Shoulders too to help blast the arms up bring the lower body wit it. Increase strength and power.

So more atg squats, more deads, more R. deads, power cleans, push press, plyo jumps, and plyo throws.

A lot of it is genetics, so if you are born with more type II muscle fibers good 4 u, if not fk u. But some ppl just have better insertions, genes, etc.

Tank.. Tank.. TAAAANK. WannaBeATank's Avatar
    WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Practicing your sport is more important than increasing general strength.
    Look me in the eye. It's okay if you are scared, so am I, but we are scared for different reasons. I am scared of what I willn't become, you are scared of what I could become. Look at me! I will not let myself end where I started, I will not let myself finish where I begin. I know what is within me, even if you can't see it yet. Look me in the eyes, I have something more important than courage, I have patience. I will become what I know I am.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    as far as running goes - speed = stride length x stride frequency...

so in theory increasing strength levels will improve stride length but you have to apply the strength to the ground to propel you forward whilst running... easier said than done...
    Sleepy.

ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckleckner10 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In a nutshell the answer is yes...kind of. Granted you cannot just squat and deadlift and magically become faster and jump higher, you actually may lose athletic performance at first from these lifts since they demand so much from your body. From what i have heard and learned and seen is that in a nutshell plyometrics and sprint training give you the increases in numbers, but heavy squats are what allows you to see the gains in plyos and sprints because they give your legs higher strength output to be applied for speed. Muscle imbalances in opposing muscle groups (back/chest, bis/tris/ quads/hams) make the progress halt if they arent closely equal in strength. So Deadlifts help balance out the muscle imbalance between the quads and the glutes/hams, therefore allowing your quads to continue to grow, therefore allowing more applied power to be put out.
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." Jackie Robinson

30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 30Sacks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can personally tell you the answer is yes. But like the above posters said you still have to practice jumping to jump higher and run to become faster. But if your already practicing these things you will see a definite improvement
    www.TrainWithSykes.com

Check out my Youtube Channel: TrainWithSykes

Please like the ******** Page: www.********.com/ITrainWithSykes

If your not getting better your getting worse. There is no in-between.

Diamond Member Status gpg_prodigy's Avatar
    gpg_prodigy is a name known to all. (+5000) gpg_prodigy is a name known to all. (+5000) gpg_prodigy is a name known to all. (+5000) gpg_prodigy is a name known to all. (+5000) gpg_prodigy is a name known to all. (+5000) gpg_prodigy is a name known to all. (+5000) gpg_prodigy is a name known to all. (+5000) gpg_prodigy is a name known to all. (+5000) gpg_prodigy is a name known to all. (+5000) gpg_prodigy is a name known to all. (+5000) gpg_prodigy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    yes squat deads, powercleans and plyo