PrimalJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How long does Whey Protein last?

I have a 5lb container of Optimum Gold Whey Chocolate Protein Formula, I bought it in July, 2009 - it was opened around that time and left on top of the fridge for the past 3 years (so much for working out...),

I just try a bit and it tastes about the same (it was never very sweet to begin with). The expiration date says 05/2011 but I know that is bogus in terms of whether it is safe or not. Figure I might as well use this up and save $45 in the process, but wondering if I need to take more than 1 serving at a time because of its age??

My question is does the bioavailability or quality of the protein or amino acids in the powder go bad after time?

Lift, Eat, Sleep. Repeat. BDeblo's Avatar
    BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    No, the bioavailability of the protein shouldn't have diminished.
    As far as taking more than one serving as a time, you only have to take as much as you need to supplement because you couldn't your protein needs of 1g/lb lbm
    Ditch your meal plan and develop a diet that combines sound nutrition with the foods you enjoy by eating when you see fit in the portions that allow you to achieve your macronutrient and caloric needs while providing sufficient micronutrients, energy and satiety. One can never forget that nutrition is a tool, not a restraint; the enjoyment of life should always come first. Psychological, sociological and emotional health should never be threatened by the attempt to increase physiological health.

Yea I think I've only tried protein powder once before, what I thought was two servings (4 tbsp) and 16oz of water and ice made my blender nearly explode (its suppose to do 64oz glass jar)...

Lift, Eat, Sleep. Repeat. BDeblo's Avatar
    BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BDeblo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    interesting. do you have a shaker bottle? or a glass and spoon?
    Ditch your meal plan and develop a diet that combines sound nutrition with the foods you enjoy by eating when you see fit in the portions that allow you to achieve your macronutrient and caloric needs while providing sufficient micronutrients, energy and satiety. One can never forget that nutrition is a tool, not a restraint; the enjoyment of life should always come first. Psychological, sociological and emotional health should never be threatened by the attempt to increase physiological health.

daniildotca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daniildotca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daniildotca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daniildotca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Don't you have a scoop in your protein jar? That should be the serving size. Am I stating the obvious here...
    As for expiration date, should be fine in terms of composition, but see how it feels in the stomach...

Originally Posted by daniildotca View Post
    Don't you have a scoop in your protein jar? That should be the serving size. Am I stating the obvious here...
    As for expiration date, should be fine in terms of composition, but see how it feels in the stomach...
    Yea I've got a shaker, just didn't realize there would be so many bubbles.

jhstevens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just found the same stuff, Professional strength, not the regular. Anyways I just took two scoops in one glass of skim milk. Talk about chunky. I feel a little "shaky" on the stomach but i'm going to do my workout now and then go on my 30 mile bike ride in about an hour. I'll post again and let everyone know how it work being about 3+ years old lol.

jhstevens has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Okay, So i had two scoops of my "old"(about 4 years) of whey chocolate protein before my lifting, and ab workout followed by my 30 ish mile bike ride. The only bad things i found on this were that the texture of the mixture was pretty chunky. I seem to recall that being normal. taste seemed about the same. I did take it right before all the workout so it seemed to be a little harsh on the stomach. I did have to stop my ab exercise at one point. But I honestly think drinking milk right before working out isnt the best of ideas anyways. I did it again and took it about 30 mins prior and I had NO trouble at all.

I think it's safe to say as along as you take it in about 15 mins at a minimum before your workout you will be FINE! On a further note, for those worried about after affects as far as the rest of the digestion process, I noticed no changes.

Bob_Ross42 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob_Ross42 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob_Ross42 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob_Ross42 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob_Ross42 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob_Ross42 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob_Ross42 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob_Ross42 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob_Ross42 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob_Ross42 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob_Ross42 is just really nice. (+1000)
    this is good to know that you did not die.

i will use my old stuff now. thanks
    ----------------------------------