daith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bodybuilders with scoliosis?

Hey! I'm a new member, and I had spinal fusion surgery (T1 - L3) six years ago to correct severe scoliosis. I've decided it's time to get in shape despite my physical limitations; and I was wondering if there was anyone else who has scoliosis (surgery or not) and who takes their fitness seriously.

I've only begun lifting seriously three weeks ago, and I already feel a difference! I've been off pain medications and I see a massive improvement in my posture. I'm making sure to take it slow to prevent any injuries. I know there are many exercises I can't do, but I'm still so grateful for having gone through the surgery. It has absolutely changed my life.

ytweety79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow! I have significant scoliosis, but not needing surgery. I actually only really found out after coming home from college and finally going to therapist's and chiropractors while prepping for my first figure competition. Talk about a mental trip! I definitely work around a few things, and have had to realize I work at a pretty high pain threshold. I actually just registered for a workshop at my next fitness conference called "Corrective exercises for leg-length discrepencies and scoliosis." Interested to see what they say. So awesome that you were able to get help to feel better!
    "No Other Option"

Nicole M. Thompson, MA ;)
    www.nmtfitness.com
    www.********.com/nmtfitness
    IG: @Coachnict
    www.coachnict.blogspot.com
    http://www.workouttrainer.com/home/trainers/nicole-thompson

fitrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) fitrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) fitrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) fitrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) fitrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) fitrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) fitrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) fitrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) fitrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) fitrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000) fitrepreneur is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have scoliosis, but mine has improved as I've aged. Once my doctor cleared me to workout my back, I noticed much less pain. He had me do some stretches and stuff at first (couple years back) but now I'm allowed to workout however I want. Very little back pain, unless it's sore from a workout!

SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i have scoliosis. i had to wear a brace 23 hours a day for about a year and a half. now i don't have to wear it, and im fine. i just don't do squats or deadlifts because of it. i do plan on becoming a competitive bodybuilder assuming I have the genetics for it.
    Full Blown Baby
    Kevin Levrone 100 lbs in my face

Medical Student - Class of 2021 ! :)

highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I was diagnosed with scoliosis when i was 12. Was treated with a boston brace until I was 14, worst two years of my life, had to wear it 23 hours a day, in the summer it sucked, socially it sucked. My mom was religious about making me wear it, i hated her for it, but now love her for it. My spine is almost completely straight, I do however have one hip that is about an inch higher than the other, the more muscle i build it seems the less noticeable it is. I am now 40. I guess I should say that I had intermittent back pain until i started lifting 2 years ago, now if I have back pain its because I pushed squats or dead lifts too far.

Glad your surgery worked for you!

SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SammyJr has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by highiso View Post
    I was diagnosed with scoliosis when i was 12. Was treated with a boston brace until I was 14, worst two years of my life, had to wear it 23 hours a day, in the summer it sucked, socially it sucked. My mom was religious about making me wear it, i hated her for it, but now love her for it. My spine is almost completely straight, I do however have one hip that is about an inch higher than the other, the more muscle i build it seems the less noticeable it is. I am now 40. I guess I should say that I had intermittent back pain until i started lifting 2 years ago, now if I have back pain its because I pushed squats or dead lifts too far.

Glad your surgery worked for you!
    hey, I also have one hip larger than the other. do you think if we were to cut and get to very low body fat, it would be more noticeable or less noticeable?

I'm hoping that if I was to get to 210 contest shape, my hips would look 100% normal and small
    Full Blown Baby
    Kevin Levrone 100 lbs in my face

Medical Student - Class of 2021 ! :)

highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SammyJr View Post
    hey, I also have one hip larger than the other. do you think if we were to cut and get to very low body fat, it would be more noticeable or less noticeable?

I'm hoping that if I was to get to 210 contest shape, my hips would look 100% normal and small
    Here I am at 189 lbs @ about 10% last summer, I'm 6'1". I'm standing with my weight on my left foot, my right hip is the one that sits about an inch higher. I guess I notice it more than anyone else. I think I actually look better when I'm leaner, not sure about how you'll look.

amorales135 is just really nice. (+1000) amorales135 is just really nice. (+1000) amorales135 is just really nice. (+1000) amorales135 is just really nice. (+1000) amorales135 is just really nice. (+1000) amorales135 is just really nice. (+1000) amorales135 is just really nice. (+1000) amorales135 is just really nice. (+1000) amorales135 is just really nice. (+1000) amorales135 is just really nice. (+1000) amorales135 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have two curves of below 20 degrees and the only part of my body that I notice a significant difference is chest. My strength seems to be the same but my left and right pec are so different one part of one is bigger than the other. How would you guys deal with this? I know that it is probably a form problem but having a shoulder slightly higher than the other its difficult to know when you are positioned correctly...I started body building about a month ago and have increased from 150 to 161 so im noticing this stuff now.. i was thinking of recording my self to correct the problem i was wondering what you guys think..any help is appreciated...

Ang123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ang123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ang123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ang123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ang123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ang123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ang123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ang123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ang123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ang123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ang123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ytweety79 View Post
    I actually just registered for a workshop at my next fitness conference called "Corrective exercises for leg-length discrepencies and scoliosis." Interested to see what they say. So awesome that you were able to get help to feel better!
    I'm interested in how the workshop went and if you learned any exercises or info that was helpful that you can share with us. I have scoliosis (3 curves) with a leg length discrepancy that causes knee and hip pain. I've not found anything that helps. Wearing a heel lift actually seem to make things worse.

lfogs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    and what about your working out?

What exercises can you do that will not aggravate scoliosis?

I have severe lumbar scoliosis and I'm afraid when I'm working out using heavy weights... I really don't want to arrive to my late 50's in a wheelchair. I'm 41...
    Last edited by lfogs; 01-08-2014 at 08:09 AM.

TheInsomninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheInsomninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheInsomninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheInsomninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheInsomninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheInsomninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just be cautious bout overhead weight.I have double curves around 35 degrees and I dont shy from anything. Just use good form over heavy weight. Also, try doing arms and shoulders one side at a time. Your range of motion will be different on one side because of your curved spine. Im never getting surgery.

-D

SkinnyB13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had surgery and I'm feeling great.