7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Can I get some opinions on my Program? (self made /w Starting Strength)

Alright so I need to start a program, and I decided to go off of Starting Strength and add more. Thoughts? Been lifting for 6 months without a program, first month on machines only, and was sick for ~3 weeks. I only used the smith machine for bench and squats up until 2-3 months ago. Also not exactly bsed my workouts, but I haven't been consistent and have tried new exercises when I've been going. The only things I've been consistent on are my bench press and squats.

Current Stats:

Bench Press: 105lbs (1rm of 135lbs)
    3 sets of 5 reps

Squat: 125lbs
    3 sets of 5 reps

Deadlift: 115lbs (just started)
    3 sets of 5 reps

M/W/F

Workout A:

Standing Military Press
    3 sets of 5 reps

Deadlift
    1 set of 5 reps

----- (every workout)

Squat
    3 sets of 5 reps

Bench Press
    3 sets of 5 reps

EZ-Bar Curl
    3 sets of 10 reps

Russian Twists (on decline with medicine ball)
    3 sets all to failure

Crunches (on decline with dumbbells)
    3 sets of 10 reps

Workout B:

Power Clean
    5 sets of 3 reps

Bent Over Barbell Row
    3 sets of 5 reps

----- (every workout)

Squat
    3 sets of 5 reps

Bench Press
    3 sets of 5 reps

EZ-Bar Curl
    3 sets of 10 reps

Russian Twists (on decline with medicine ball)
    3 sets all to failure

Crunches (on decline with dumbbells)
    3 sets of 10 reps

Monday: Workout A
    Wednesday: Workout B
    Friday: Workout A

Monday: Workout B
    Wednesday: Workout A
    Friday: Workout B

justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    the changes you have made make no sense, and as a beginner lifter you have no reason or knowledge to be modifying an already well thought out program.

Just do Starting Strength as written. If you need to do ab stuff, do it at the end of the workout. If you need to do curls, do them on Fri only after the main lifts.
    Since you're power cleaning, get rid of the rows, and do chin ups on B day after power cleans, that's part of the program now anyway.

Also do yourself a favor and get the book, its only $10 on Kindle.
    "I'm just a lat guy, you know? I've got these amazing lats, and I'm just living in an ab guy's world." -Workaholics

7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7usabball will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by justroberson View Post
    the changes you have made make no sense, and as a beginner lifter you have no reason or knowledge to be modifying an already well thought out program.

Just do Starting Strength as written. If you need to do ab stuff, do it at the end of the workout. If you need to do curls, do them on Fri only after the main lifts.
    Since you're power cleaning, get rid of the rows, and do chin ups on B day after power cleans, that's part of the program now anyway.

don't have a kindle, but thanks for the advice. i probably should buy it.

noob158 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noob158 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noob158 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noob158 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noob158 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noob158 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noob158 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noob158 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noob158 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noob158 is on a distinguished road. (+10) noob158 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by justroberson View Post

lol strong rippcock worshiper

just do the program as its written? the same ripptoe himself that you adore, modified older programs to make his SS lol

cool story bro

reality is that the op wants to gain muscle and look aesthetic

op just get into a bodybuilding routine

4 times a week, upper lower, hit every muscle twice a week, more volume, more isolation while still doing the compounds exercises these powerlifters do

There's a lot of talk on the forums about the benefits of compound exercises, and rightly so. However, this has sometimes taken a turn into the idea that compounds are the only thing worth doing, and isolation exercises are somehow worthless. If that were true, then bodybuilders would long ago have figured out they were not necessary, and would be training like powerlifters.

What the knowledgeable guys were really saying is that the "core" of any good routine should be built around the basic compound exercises: Squats, Deads, Bench press, Overhead press, Barbell rows, etc. However, you will not develop a true "bodybuilder" physique without other selected exercises, including isolations. Not only that, but a true bodybuilder will use any tool in the toolbox, if it does the best job for them.

An elite-level powerlifter might squat 800-plus and bench 600, but how many would have the quad and biceps size to even make a dent at a pro bodybuilding show?

No type of training will build muscle like bodybuilding training. Bodybuilders are obsessed with their craft, and if a modified powerlifting program was the ticket to winning a show, then the powerlifting dungeons would be overrun by shaved dudes in string tank tops.

It seems like almost every coach, lifter, or trainer thinks they have so much to teach (RIPPETOE), but very few try to see if there's anything they can learn in return. If you want to build muscle – and at some point, you all should – you should shut your face and listen to the bodybuilders. They just might have something you can learn from them

batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) batman37 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good job on moving on from machines and on to real lifts.

Too much Bench Press to be honest. Push:Pull should be 1:1 or 2:3 but remember that balance is key.

As for the info you are looking for but have no book or kindle, I offer you my standard paste of links.

Have fun.

-Having a big tool box is great but it means nothing if you lack a set of standard screwdrivers and a hammer.
    -The Pareto principle: 80% of the effects are from 20% of causes. All the other small details will only affect a small portion of results, 80% of causes will contribute to 20% of the effects.

RIPPETOE-STARTING STRENGTH FAQ
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224&pagenumber=

hildenbrandtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) hildenbrandtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) hildenbrandtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) hildenbrandtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) hildenbrandtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) hildenbrandtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) hildenbrandtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) hildenbrandtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) hildenbrandtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) hildenbrandtd will become famous soon enough. (+50) hildenbrandtd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    To go with your Bench, Squat, and Deadlift sets, do a 3/1 pattern, in that you lift 3 days and then take a day off. Follow a Push/Pull/Legs scheme.
    Day 1: Legs Day (Legs)
    Day 2: Push Day (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
    Day 3: Pull Day (Back, Biceps, Abs)
    Day 4: Off
    Day 5: Legs Day (Legs)
    Day 6: Push Day (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
    Day 7: Pull Day (Back, Biceps, Abs)
    Day 8: Off

If you're in high school, and can only use the gym Monday to Friday, I'd suggest an upper/lower split in which you lift Monday/Tuesday and Thursday/Friday.

chrissypoo13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrissypoo13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrissypoo13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrissypoo13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrissypoo13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrissypoo13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrissypoo13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrissypoo13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrissypoo13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrissypoo13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chrissypoo13 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by hildenbrandtd View Post
    To go with your Bench, Squat, and Deadlift sets, do a 3/1 pattern, in that you lift 3 days and then take a day off. Follow a Push/Pull/Legs scheme.
    Day 1: Legs Day (Legs)
    Day 2: Push Day (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
    Day 3: Pull Day (Back, Biceps, Abs)
    Day 4: Off
    Day 5: Legs Day (Legs)
    Day 6: Push Day (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
    Day 7: Pull Day (Back, Biceps, Abs)
    Day 8: Off

If you're in high school, and can only use the gym Monday to Friday, I'd suggest an upper/lower split in which you lift Monday/Tuesday and Thursday/Friday.
    Strong 8 month bump!
    I rep back :) (measly reps)

Goals: SIZE
    Bench: 295lbs
    Squat: 450lbs
    Deadlift: 500lbs

*Doesn't look like I lift but I actually lift crew*
    *Misc and Workout Programs forum crew*

DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You should absolutely get the book. Regardless of what routine you do, the detail Rip goes into with the core exercises is amazing and will be a great form reference if nothing more. Definitely worth the $30 it costs (or $10 on Kindle or iPad).

There's a lot of info in this thread that isn't that great. I'm assuming that with lifts like that you want to get stronger, bigger, and that you don't have enough experience to make changes to a proven program.

If you want to do SS (and personally it's probably the best routine for you right now), do the program as is. Add in chins after PCs, and a couple ab sets of planks or hanging leg raises after each workout. You will put on a lot of strength and, assuming your diet is in check (nutrition stickies), a good amount of muscle.

If you want more of a bodybuilder's physique (based on your routine it seems like you do) and don't mind a slight compromise on strength, do StrongLifts 5x5, and after about a month gradually add in exercises from JasonDB's workout as you need them.