windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Can I realistically do "too much" cardio?

I really like to get out and hammer out a lot of miles on my mountain bike, but the plan I'm (loosely) following advises no more than 30-60 minutes a day and losing no more than 2-3 pounds per week.

I know a lot of the hype is that too much cardio supposedly burns muscle, but how much cardio and how much muscle seems to be a grey area.

Basically the type of cardio I want to do would be bordering on -1500 calories a day or so. As long as I'm eating clean and getting sufficient protein, how much of a risk am I really at for losing muscle? In the last week, outside of water weight fluctuation, I lost about 7 lbs and I feel fine aside from DOMS. That was about 3 miles of running 3 days, and 7 miles on the bike (45 minutes) 2 days. I'd like to up my to running 6-7 and biking 15-25.

If I can lose more weight, more quickly without any long term detrimental effects, I'd prefer to go that route. Avoiding thermogenics and excess stimulants.

<<<Ignore stats, I'm currently at 205lbs and wanting to lose 40+
    Vibrah
    Knee Dragger: 2006 CBR600RR
    ANTI S&P
    Disregard society's expectations, lift for yourself.
    +/+++++Subaru Crew+++++\+

RIP 789789/SausageMassage.

Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000)
    When your cardio is getting in the way of your lifting, whether that's time or effort, I'd say so.

Also, when you're burning off to many calories. Sticking to your desired calorie deficit is a better option. Of course this can be made up by eating more. You don't really want to be in too much of a deficit.
    Currently cutting.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Spanishdream View Post
    When your cardio is getting in the way of your lifting, whether that's time or effort, I'd say so.
    This has been my experience. I know I'm overdoing it when I run out of gas during a lifting session. I ease up on the cardio and I'm OK again. I think you just have to listen to your body and find that point.

1500 cardio cals per day would be about twice what I am capable of without having it affect my lifts. But then again, I'm not 25.

windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500) windclimber is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hitting the weights has taken a back seat due to the fact that I was trying to lose weight and build muscle and not succeeding at either. I have no problem putting muscle on, but having my bf% be too high to appreciate the hard work was too unmotivating.

I guess I'm more concerned about going into "starvation" mode and doing a ton of extra cardio with no more results. I don't want a repeat of my teenage years when I was hammering out 30+ miles a day and still skinnyfat because my diet sucked and I was always in starvation mode.
    Vibrah
    Knee Dragger: 2006 CBR600RR
    ANTI S&P
    Disregard society's expectations, lift for yourself.
    +/+++++Subaru Crew+++++\+

RIP 789789/SausageMassage.

rob44023 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rob44023 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rob44023 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rob44023 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rob44023 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rob44023 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rob44023 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rob44023 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rob44023 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rob44023 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rob44023 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It really depends on the individual. Just like there are guys that can put on a lot of muscle in a short period of time there are guys that can burn off a lot of fat quickly. We are all just a little different and you really need to find your balance. I know I can give up about 3/4 a pound of fat a day as long as I'm taking in the right amount of protein, vitamins, and minerals. A calorie deficit that exceeds that will ultimately be detrimental to me so I take in more calories if I'm extremely active. If you enjoy mountain biking then go for it and adjust your calories so you don't lose strength.
    A job half finished is still a job undone.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by windclimber View Post
    Hitting the weights has taken a back seat due to the fact that I was trying to lose weight and build muscle and not succeeding at either. I have no problem putting muscle on, but having my bf% be too high to appreciate the hard work was too unmotivating.

I guess I'm more concerned about going into "starvation" mode and doing a ton of extra cardio with no more results. I don't want a repeat of my teenage years when I was hammering out 30+ miles a day and still skinnyfat because my diet sucked and I was always in starvation mode.
    On a cut you lift to preserve what you have more than you do to gain. If you don't lift, a larger portion of the loss will be lean muscle, which is what ultimately leads to skinny fat. In fact, lack of lifting will get you skinny fat faster than excess cardio will IMO.

JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JVRICHARDS is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've lost 62lbs doing strictly lifting, very little cardio outside of walking to work. If you count your calories right, it's not necessary for fat loss at all, and in fact (in my opinion) your time would be better spent lifting weights, rather than playing gazelle for 3 hours on the treadmill.

ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ThousandEyes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JVRICHARDS View Post
    I've lost 62lbs doing strictly lifting, very little cardio outside of walking to work. If you count your calories right, it's not necessary for fat loss at all, and in fact (in my opinion) your time would be better spent lifting weights, rather than playing gazelle for 3 hours on the treadmill.
    but think of all the extra food you can eat XD

DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DarthInvadeHer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Spanishdream View Post

Also, when you're burning off to many calories. Sticking to your desired calorie deficit is a better option. Of course this can be made up by eating more. You don't really want to be in too much of a deficit.
    Nice avi ******* . I was confused because I know I didn't post in this thread but then I saw the username.