iDurNo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help with training for Track and Field 100m

Hello everyone,

I am a sophmore at high school, 15 years old, 5'3", 110 lbs
    I did track and field (100m) a couple years ago in 8th grade but i did pretty poorly
    with my fastest time ranging in the high 14 seconds with spikes and all
    However, I feel that I've gotten a lot stronger since and would like to retry in my high school's track team in junior year

I have exactly one year to train and any advice is welcome
    This is my current workout routine:

Weekdays:
    at home: 3 minute squat (like a wall sit position)
    at school: i take weight training, and work legs twice a week
    leg training: leg extension + leg curl - 3 sets of 15 reps each ( i go back and forth between each machine)
    leg press - 5 sets of 15 reps at about 200 lbs on the carriage
    Weekends:
    -3 minute squat, 3 minute wall sit
    -about a 15 minute sprint practice session:
    first a half a mile jog up to my training spot which is a hill, about 70m long with a slope of maybe 10-15 degrees
    I just sprint as fast as I can up the hill 4-5 times with a 1-2 minute rest in between

Umm I dont know if im doing the right exercises and all
    so like i said before, any advice is welcome
    Thanks guys

caddz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The best way to train, is cycling I know it sounds stupid but, a way is to find a flat cycle track, and say lap it 12 times
    You go all out for 3 laps and 1 recovery lap, then after that lap, go all out on 3 laps recovery 1 lap, it's one of the best methods of speed training, instead of doing all these sprints everyday, try this and do long distance runs throughout the week, including 20m bleep test, twice a week! If the bleep test bores you, sprint 20m jog back sprint to the cone, jog back and do that 10-15 times. Also include your leg workout at school, scrap the sitting squat exercise!
    Try this

Monday - 5k Jog

Wednesday - Cycling Track

Thursday - Leg Workout

Saturday - 20m Sprints

Monday B - 100m Sprint

Tuesday B - 5k Jog

Thursday B - Bleep Test

Saturday B - Cycling Track

Sunday B - Leg workout
    Age - 15
    Weight - 13st9 (around 190lbs)
    Height - 6ft0

nicholkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nicholkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nicholkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nicholkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nicholkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nicholkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nicholkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nicholkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nicholkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nicholkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) nicholkid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The three qualities of a good sprinter are: speed, endurance and power production.

For speed:

distances less than 100m
    at 90-100% max speed

4x20m
    3x40m
    2x60m
    (with full rest between reps)

You can choose your reps.

For endurance:

distances greater than 100m
    pyramid (at 80-90% max speed)

200m - 300m - 400m - 300m - 200m

or 100m - 200m -300m - 200m - 100m

Power production:

In other words the amount of force you apply to the ground each stride.

Do plyometrics

it is recommended that you weight train for at least 2 months before starting plyometrics but it is not required. If you have a whole year though, you should probably do 2-3 months of weights, because if you do strictly plyos for a year, your gains will probably run out if you don't have a good base of strength.

There are quite a few plyometric workouts around, I have personally used Vertical Jump Bible. You can also create your own workout by mixing and matching different plyometric exercises.

I'm no expert, but this is what I think you should do.
    If you have any questions let me know.
    I got a vision for the life that's right in front of me
    I got a right, I got a reason, got a destiny
    I know exactly where I'm headed and I’m never looking back.

Hey uh, I have a question, whats the point of doing so long distance runs?
    Isn't the point of a 5k to maintain a good pace for a long time unlike sprints?

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by iDurNo View Post
    Hey uh, I have a question, whats the point of doing so long distance runs?
    Isn't the point of a 5k to maintain a good pace for a long time unlike sprints?
    100m still takes a good amount of endurance. Your body's performance peaks well before 100m and its your endurance level that will determine if you can sustain that speed or rather lose that speed quickly before you reach 100m.

AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AthELiTE7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    100m still takes a good amount of endurance. Your body's performance peaks well before 100m and its your endurance level that will determine if you can sustain that speed or rather lose that speed quickly before you reach 100m.
    I disagree. Yes it does take endurance but not the type of endurance that a 5k runner needs. Running 5k's will be training for slow twitch muscle fibers.
    My advice is train for fast twitch fibers. Do hill sprints, deadlifts, squats, front squats, plyometrics and stretch. Lift weights high weight low reps...dont do more than 5 reps per set. plyometrics and hill sprints with low reps and sets with a lot of rest in between. Dont underestimate stretching. Have a commited static stretching routine, especially for the hip flexors. To get a little endurance just do sprints of 200m a few times per week.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breath, then you will be successful"

Sophomore Football Highlights http://www.hudl.com/athlete/875481/

Bench/Squat
    Start: 45lbs/95lbs~Sept 2010
    Now: 210lbs/225lbs

40 Yard Dash
    Start: 5.3~Sept 2010
    Now: 4.73

Vertical
    Start: 22~Sept 2010
    Now: 34 (48in Box Jump)

Shuttle
    Start: 4.6~April 2012
    Now: 4.3

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    Originally Posted by AthELiTE7 View Post
    I disagree. Yes it does take endurance but not the type of endurance that a 5k runner needs. Running 5k's will be training for slow twitch muscle fibers.
    My advice is train for fast twitch fibers. Do hill sprints, deadlifts, squats, front squats, plyometrics and stretch. Lift weights high weight low reps...dont do more than 5 reps per set. plyometrics and hill sprints with low reps and sets with a lot of rest in between. Dont underestimate stretching. Have a commited static stretching routine, especially for the hip flexors. To get a little endurance just do sprints of 200m a few times per week.
    to address this endurance issue... you need a fitness base... once you have that base then good to go for specific training...

the 100m race is essentially - reaction time, accelerate to top speed, maintain this speed as long as you can...

if you are training only for the 100m run then you need to train the above...

speed= stride length x stride frequency

in all honesty i could go on for hours on this subject... the training methods etc... in all honesty your question is so hard and vague to answer OP...
    Sleepy.

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by AthELiTE7 View Post
    lol I never said it took the endurance of a 5k run.

If they were to tell my.. 110mhurdler's Avatar
    110mhurdler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 110mhurdler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 110mhurdler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 110mhurdler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 110mhurdler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 110mhurdler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 110mhurdler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 110mhurdler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 110mhurdler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Most people already can move their feet as fast as elite sprinters in the air. The reason why they can't keep that up on the surface is because they are striking on the ground which lowers their stride frequency/stride length. Working on strength and elastic capabilities will improve this ability. So just focus on squats and plyos. For strength just squats will do. But squats alone will pamper your quad/ham ratio which can naturally lead to landing on heels first when you sprint. So try to do a routine with well-balance between hamstring and quad work. Also make sure your legs have enough hypertrophy to squat properly (small legs will not provide enough muscular leverage to squat properly). And here is an article on plyos: speedendurance.com/2012/04/19/jump-sprint-training-advanced-plyometrics/

Registered User motivation2give's Avatar
    motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Work on your running drills! It teaches fundamentals and trains muscle memory.

A skips
    B skips
    butt kicks
    high knees
    etc...
    you have to train your muscles to fire and this doesn't happen running cross country. I can guarantee you Asafa Powell, Usain Bolt or Tyson Gay are not running cross country in hopes that it will translate into a 9.4 100m time!

Originally Posted by motivation2give View Post

A skips
    B skips
    butt kicks
    high knees
    etc...
    you have to train your muscles to fire and this doesn't happen running cross country. I can guarantee you Asafa Powell, Usain Bolt or Tyson Gay are not running cross country in hopes that it will translate into a 9.4 100m time!
    A skips, B skips and high knees are definitely something to focus on and use. My coach absolutely hated butt kicks. He said its training you to run the wrong way. If you are anywhere close to kicking your butt while running, then your form is off. A skips and B skips is the correct for and highly beneficial to practice, but butt kicks kind of just defeats the purpose of relying on a/b skips. Now, I could understand doing a little butt kicks to warm up, but to use it as running form improvement is just going to make things worse.

JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10) JacobWalford is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Focus a lot on your running form to maximize power of your strides, then move on to resistance sprints, hills etc... it all begins with form.
    It's not over.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'll be definitely be looking into these exercises. Any extra tips is still always welcome

Tank.. Tank.. TAAAANK. WannaBeATank's Avatar
    WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Go read a real running site, like Charles francis' forum. Possibly the smartest minds concerning all running (400m and under), on that forum.
    Look me in the eye. It's okay if you are scared, so am I, but we are scared for different reasons. I am scared of what I willn't become, you are scared of what I could become. Look at me! I will not let myself end where I started, I will not let myself finish where I begin. I know what is within me, even if you can't see it yet. Look me in the eyes, I have something more important than courage, I have patience. I will become what I know I am.

amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000) amar654 is just really nice. (+1000)
    hey man, im a football player/track athlete. add box squat and dead lift to your workout, and watch your athleticism skyrocket. and it is proven that working out is more effective than actually sprinting to increase speed, sure u should sprint, it will help u a little bit, but working out will benefit you more. plus 20 pounds on squat and plus 40 pounds on deadlift will shave .10 seconds on your 40 yard.

Registered User motivation2give's Avatar
    motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) motivation2give has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by WannaBeATank View Post
    Go read a real running site, like Charles francis' forum. Possibly the smartest minds concerning all running (400m and under), on that forum.
    I agree. That is the spot for all of your running questions! Too bad Charlie died a few years back, he would actually comment and give advice from time to time.
    www.twitter.com/mb504experience
    www.********.com/beaucoupfit
    follow me on instagram as well markbfitness
    "you got to embrace the pain!"

How Bad Do You Want It? P90XVeteran's Avatar
    P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500) P90XVeteran is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by motivation2give View Post

A skips
    B skips
    butt kicks
    high knees
    etc...
    Agreed! I would focus on legs, core and back as well. Great feedback overall

ToastnJam is not very well liked. (-100) ToastnJam is not very well liked. (-100) ToastnJam is not very well liked. (-100) ToastnJam is not very well liked. (-100) ToastnJam is not very well liked. (-100) ToastnJam is not very well liked. (-100) ToastnJam is not very well liked. (-100) ToastnJam is not very well liked. (-100) ToastnJam is not very well liked. (-100) ToastnJam is not very well liked. (-100) ToastnJam is not very well liked. (-100)
    you should run lots of 150m and 200m so you develop a kick for the last 20-30m… thats when most fade…

also when you run you should try to accelerate and stay low for at least the first 40 metres… from then on you are just coasting really, try to find a track coach, oh and always stay relaxed dont clench up