ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Genetics and fat gain?

I'm just curious how much of an impact genetics have in regards to fat gain. Some of you may know someone like this, but a friend of mine is trying to get bigger, but his diet is horrible. He literally lives off of pizza, chicken parm and ice cream. Never seen him consume a vegetable (srs). Anyway, he's been gaining weight so I know that he is obviously eating at surplus, but what's puzzling to me is that he never gains any significant fat, just size. On the flip side, when he loses weight, he just appears to look smaller, not diced. I guess what I am getting as I always spend so much time counting calories, watching what I eat and making sure I get in all my macros, but to see someone else obtain the same gains by nearly getting in even half the amount of protein he's required, confuses me.

Lindoras is a name known to all. (+5000) Lindoras is a name known to all. (+5000) Lindoras is a name known to all. (+5000) Lindoras is a name known to all. (+5000) Lindoras is a name known to all. (+5000) Lindoras is a name known to all. (+5000) Lindoras is a name known to all. (+5000) Lindoras is a name known to all. (+5000) Lindoras is a name known to all. (+5000) Lindoras is a name known to all. (+5000) Lindoras is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Genetics man, Life's a beach.
    You're going to see this alot more in your lifting career

TheRoadIsLong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRoadIsLong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRoadIsLong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRoadIsLong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRoadIsLong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRoadIsLong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRoadIsLong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRoadIsLong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRoadIsLong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRoadIsLong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRoadIsLong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Anecdotally, I have known both people who struggle desperately to gain any substantial weight at all, and people who have to train like a marine to shed any fat. Personally, it is a mission for me to lose fat, however, as a saving grace; muscle growth appears to come more easily to me. Also, I would expect that as with most genetic expression, it is not wholly static (that is, it can change later in life).
    The road is long.

thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000) thomasDB is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah my friend was bigger than everyone during high school and he still is one of the bigger guys I'm around with.. He doesn't count macros, he thinks I'm crazy eating that much "good" food etc. The guy eats dry ramen noodles and some pastas and other freezer food.. Its all genetics.

Lord1710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lord1710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lord1710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lord1710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lord1710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lord1710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lord1710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lord1710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lord1710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lord1710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lord1710 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thats the truth man, I can gain muscle really easy, but I store fat like crazy, I've been on a very restricted diet to keep myself as shredded as possible, but this saturday I went to a party and I got drunk and ate all this oreo cookies and pringles, and today I can feel all this fat in my stomach just cuz I had ONE DAMN CHEAT DAY! while my brother gets drunk every weekend and eats all this garbagge and he is always shredded, but he has a tough time gaining muscle, this is how it is bro...

ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ncrowls22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Lord1710 View Post
    Thats the truth man, I can gain muscle really easy, but I store fat like crazy, I've been on a very restricted diet to keep myself as shredded as possible, but this saturday I went to a party and I got drunk and ate all this oreo cookies and pringles, and today I can feel all this fat in my stomach just cuz I had ONE DAMN CHEAT DAY! while my brother gets drunk every weekend and eats all this garbagge and he is always shredded, but he has a tough time gaining muscle, this is how it is bro...
    Lol at thinking one cheat day would cause you to feel fat in your stomach.

THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    eating junk doesnt result in weight gain. eating too much junk does. you will probably find, the guy who eats junk and doesn't put on weight, is actualy meeting his macronutrient and calorie demands pretty much spot on. he knows how to listen to his body.

the guy who drinks and stays shredded? he's also good at meeting his calorie requirements. exept alcohol serves no purpose to muscle gain at all. so his macros probably will be too far off ti build any muscle. booze is empty calories. just energy. where as eating junk can help you gain muscle.

it's more to do with appetite control. dont get me into the genetics of it debate.

eg- a skinny guy can eat what he desires and not get fat. I can eat what I desire, just not as much as I desire. if the skinny guy ate what I ate. he would get fat or throw up.

the guy with more self control going to McDonald's- order one meal. gets full. probably leaves some fries.

me? orders one meal, plus an extra cheeseburger. finishes that. isn't hungry. but orders another burger and an apple pie, simply due to the fact that i can. and that's how i roll. I gain weight easily. muscle and fat

chances are, the skinny guy has his McDonald's. it lasts him a few hours until meal before he's hungry again.

me? mcdonalds is just a snack. it's not proper food. I need to meat my macros properly. has another meal within 1 hour of leaving McDonald's.

even now, as opposed to when I was a fat guy, I have to track calories because my body never tells my brain when it is full, so my brain then reminds my body to carry on eating until it can't eat anymore.

to sum up. apart from the rare few with conditions such as hyperthyroidism. naturally thin people simply have better self control. and unless you can follow them for a whole day and log every single calorie that they take in, you cannot really critique their diet.
    Last edited by THElabCHIMP; 05-13-2012 at 10:13 PM.

THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) THElabCHIMP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Lord1710 View Post
    you're suffering from water retention. excess sugar and excess sodium from excess food.
    your body isn't sure how to deal with it, so it holds onto it a load of water weight around your fat cells.
    it's easy to get rid of. 2-3 days of dieting hard and clean

Kagina has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kagina has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kagina has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kagina has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kagina has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kagina has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kagina has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kagina has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kagina has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kagina has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kagina has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by THElabCHIMP View Post
    2-3 days of dieting hard and clean
    No, i don't think you have to diet that hard to lose water weight...