dmarlow24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dmarlow24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dmarlow24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dmarlow24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dmarlow24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dmarlow24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Front Squats instead of Back Squats

I've been lifting for some time now and I've been doing back squats the whole time. Recently I started incorporating front squats into my routine. It turns out that I'm starting to like them better than back squats. I also find I can keep good form easier than i can with back squats.

So would it be okay to completely forget back squats and just focus on front squats? I can only front squat 140 and i want to bring it up.

Thanks

Cervinskas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cervinskas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cervinskas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cervinskas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cervinskas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cervinskas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cervinskas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cervinskas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cervinskas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cervinskas is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cervinskas is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dmarlow24 View Post
    I've been lifting for some time now and I've been doing back squats the whole time. Recently I started incorporating front squats into my routine. It turns out that I'm starting to like them better than back squats. I also find I can keep good form easier than i can with back squats.

So would it be okay to completely forget back squats and just focus on front squats? I can only front squat 140 and i want to bring it up.

Thanks
    front squats work the quads alot more

do both front and back squats

they're both good for making some serious gains

IRONfeeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IRONfeeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IRONfeeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IRONfeeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IRONfeeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IRONfeeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IRONfeeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IRONfeeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IRONfeeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IRONfeeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IRONfeeler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Comparing the two:
    Back squat > front squat

A back squat should NOT be replaced by a front. The front squat is more quad dominant, but should not replace. Do both.

Cohaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cohaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cohaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cohaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cohaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cohaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cohaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cohaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cohaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cohaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cohaku will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do both! I do, twice a week.

throw in some sumo squats if you'd like. Can't get enough squats!
    "Do you have an erection, man?"

"I just broke a personal record on deadlift."

"And now I have an erection."

Herbal and holistic user ChinUp4Life's Avatar
    ChinUp4Life is just really nice. (+1000) ChinUp4Life is just really nice. (+1000) ChinUp4Life is just really nice. (+1000) ChinUp4Life is just really nice. (+1000) ChinUp4Life is just really nice. (+1000) ChinUp4Life is just really nice. (+1000) ChinUp4Life is just really nice. (+1000) ChinUp4Life is just really nice. (+1000) ChinUp4Life is just really nice. (+1000) ChinUp4Life is just really nice. (+1000) ChinUp4Life is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dmarlow24 View Post

Thanks
    The question you have is can you drop back squats completely in favor of front squats for a period of time. The answer IMO is yes absolutely. Lets say you focus on front squat + assistance exercises for a month... once you go back to doing back squats there should be a nice carryover.

Also, consider Zercher squats if you are man enough. It will totally rock your core muscles along with quads. The result is that when you back squat, you are much stronger in the hole. Just my experience.

wicked1992 is not very well liked. (-100) wicked1992 is not very well liked. (-100) wicked1992 is not very well liked. (-100) wicked1992 is not very well liked. (-100) wicked1992 is not very well liked. (-100) wicked1992 is not very well liked. (-100) wicked1992 is not very well liked. (-100) wicked1992 is not very well liked. (-100) wicked1992 is not very well liked. (-100) wicked1992 is not very well liked. (-100) wicked1992 is not very well liked. (-100)
    the back squat is superior to the front squat. but front squats are better for the quads than back squats. do both but if you choose to do only front squats, then deadlift or do GHRs to work your posterior chain while working your quads with front squats.

LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LadyLore420 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Cervinskas View Post
    front squats work the quads alot more

do both front and back squats

they're both good for making some serious gains
    What the banned dude said.
    Gym lifts: 260/130/285
    Meet lifts: 245/130/285

Coming back after injury journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169273893